AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Pros
  • Its a fast paced environment and I love it (in 15 reviews)

• Good work life balance (if you are looking for that) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not necessarily the best (in 9 reviews)

• some growing pains but it's all part of the rollercoaster ride (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast growing company with ambitious goals and a strong engineering culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To understand the culture of AppDynamics, you need to start with its founders. Both Jyoti and Bhaskar were engineers before they started AppD. This means the company is very focused on technology and innovation which is great if you care deeply about DevOps and performance.

That being said, the culture is also growing and changing as more people join the company. It's a delicate balance between new and old but the growth challenge is what drew me to the company.

Everyone I've met has impressed me with a great work ethic and a willingness to push the envelope. This is not a company for people who want to sit back and turn on cruise control. I come to work every day excited to learn something new and help push the company a millimeter in a new direction.

Compensation is great here. The benefits are awesome. Drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Massage therapists two days a week. Good health care coverage. You've got everything you would expect of a tech company.

The bottomline is - join AppD if you want to grow your career and gain experience taking a company from 1000 employees to 10,000.

Cons

As I mentioned in the Pros section of my review, AppD is growing very fast. That means there will be some growing pains as people join and add to the culture of the company. All of this growth is exacerbated by the fact that we have very aggressive goals in the next 4-5 years.

Communication can be a challenge at times - making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Hiring can be challenging because we're a very enterprise-focused company. That means our market awareness is not as strong as other companies in the valley. This will change as we continue to gain market share.

Advice to Management

Protect and maintain a culture of engineering, technology, and innovation. This is what will keep AppD competitive in the marketplace and attract top talent.

Be willingness to teach, mentor, and grow your employees so that they stay for the long haul.

We should make it clear that culture is very important at AppD and we should continually express and explicitly state our culture to employees year-round.

Have fun as much as possible. Keep doing awesome Halloween events. Keep doing ugly sweater parties. Keep volunteering around the world. Keep smiling.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you so much for the detailed review, we are so thrilled to have you on this rocketship with us! Glad to see that you share our vision and understand the pains that come with rapid growth. Our ... More

2. "Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Flex time

Cons

A lot of unknown about the acquisition

3. "Great company and they will recognize talent"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible hours, decent environment. awesome CEO and founder.

Cons

there was no 401K match, but things are about to change ;)

5. "Amazing Company....A true Employee freindly company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible timing, The Work environment is good, People are really awesome ,very friendly .Lot of opportunities to learn and grow, Company takes good care of employee needs.
    Strong Cultural values.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind, No real Cons Just a Suggestions
    Pay structure can be better and company can give transportation reimbursement benefit, It will be great for employees

Advice to Management

You can offer joining bonus to new employee.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for reviewing AppDynamics, we like to think that we take pretty good care of our employees (: In addition, we do offer pre-tax commuter benefits, please reach out to our HR or Onboarding ... More

6. "Sales Development Representative"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Tons of perks and benefits for employees.

Cons

Tough interview process but helps get better employees.

7. "Common challenges of high growth, but a great company"

I worked at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great product. Sharp people. People are focused on doing the right thing for customers. Rapid company growth means plenty of opportunity for professional growth.

Cons

There was some disfunction at the executive levels. David W was helping get that pointed in a better direction.
    Rapid growth meant there were lots of people promoted into management roles with little experience. The minimal training and support from their leaders left some gaps.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for the review, our Talent Acquisition team does try very hard to seek out and hire the cream of the crop! We also pride the fact that there is plenty of room to grow. David Wadhwani has ... More

8. "Frankly amazing hiring and onboarding experience"

Current Employee - Senior Infosec Risk and Assurance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Infosec Risk and Assurance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I begin? Its got the fun stuff about working in a Software company, but with the structure and order of a driven, challenging, rapidly expanding and successful organization. The onboarding and hiring process was the best I have ever experienced. Slightly compressed due to an offer from another firm, but these guys were... never less than professional, human, personable, rapidly capable of enabling things, supportive - Jay Venkatachalam was amazing, and as good as her word for the premium experience I felt I received. The behind the scenes work was very well done too - smooth, automated in parts, just... civilized and efficient. Everybody seems to have a Team, collegiate approach to helping each other deliver. Supportive, open door, bright and sharp cookies everywhere.

Cons

Havent seen any. Lots of rocket science brains here, I have a lot of catching up and rapid ride up that curve to feel like I can offer value. Too early to see any cons.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

We are so thrilled to hear that you had a smooth and memorable journey from your interview to your first day here at AppDynamics. Our Talent Acquisition Team and Onboarding Team are very ... More

9. "pretty darn good"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Laid-back and they'll leave you alone if you get your work done.

Cons

Changing organization/pay because of pending IPO.. not much communication

10. "Great people, great atmoshpere!"

Current Employee - JIRA Administrator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - JIRA Administrator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, very friendly staff, everyone is excited about what they do.

Cons

Haven't been here long enough to find any.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing! This is a great place to be and I love every bit of it!

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Very happy to hear that you love working for us! We strive to create and maintain a one-of-a-kind work environment and culture, and our awards are proof of that. (:

11. "Maturing nicely"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Filled with smart passionate people, and growing at a tremendous pace. The product is stellar and our market position can't be beat. As new management has come in you can sense the maturation in our processes.

Cons

The company's growth was so rapid that the way things got done didn't really keep up, everyone has had to work very hard and not necessarily efficiently. Folks may have learned how to do their jobs in a startup world and transitioning to a more mature model required for a larger company can be stressful.

Advice to Management

It's clear that there's a tremendous opportunity in front of us, however our strategy for maximizing that opportunity is not well understood internally. More thoughtful planning and communication would help.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

We truly also enjoy the people we work with and our product is one of the best in the market right now! As far as planning and communication, our management tries their best to be as transparent as ... More