AppDynamics Employee Reviews about "appd"

Updated Aug 3, 2020

4.4
AppDynamics VP/General Manager Linda Tong
Linda Tong
Pros
  • "Coming to AppD has been the best decision of my life(in 58 reviews)

• "There is perfect work life balance(in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • "We've experienced quite a bit of attrition over the past 12 months due to a perception that Cisco doesn't know "what to do with AppD"(in 37 reviews)

• "Work life balance can be difficult(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "appd"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Great place for growth!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AppD has market-leading technology with a "start-up feel" backed by the investment and security of Cisco. We are expanding so rapidly that there is tons of room for growth, personally, professionally and financially. Whether you are looking to take on a larger scoped individual contributor role or want to grow your leadership career, there is opportunity for anyone who's passionate and willing to run hard and challenge themselves.

Cons

We've experienced quite a bit of attrition over the past 12 months due to a perception that Cisco doesn't know "what to do with AppD". I can't blame my colleagues for chasing new opportunities but I'm much more optimistic about our future with Cisco. This attrition has caused some heartburn and uncertainty (rightfully so). Thankfully, Cisco and AppD executive leadership has addressed this head on with increased investments (R&D, hiring, increased comp packages).

2. COVID-19

"User researcher intern"

Current Intern - User Researcher

I have been working at AppDynamics for less than a year

Pros

Awesome working environment, brilliant people to work with, and the best leadership I can ever imagine. Even during this difficult time, the team managed to provide an inviting, uplifting, growing environment and helps me learn so much! I would totally recommend this intern experience!

Cons

The only con that I can think of would be: COVID makes things difficult, however, the team and AppD go beyond the limitation and make this intern experience extraordinary.

3. COVID-19

"Its actually pretty good! a real review."

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are awesome, the product is industry leading and for the first time in my life I actually have a decent work life balance at a tech company. - A very transparent C-suite who has really stepped up to the plate during this coronavirus pandemic to make the employees feel comfortable and safe. - Financial stability and benefits that Cisco provides. - This may seem weird but I've never felt unethical in this job. It was an issue at both of my previous tech companies so its nice to not have to leave your morals at the door.

Cons

-We've slowly gotten less perks over the years as Cisco tries to control some of the costs associated with a startup culture. That said, the Dallas and SF offices still have some sweet amenities. - AppD can def lack structure at times and some our process could use refining. - Depending on where you work (sales, cs, product etc) some departments arent growing as fast as others so its not like some startups where you can get promoted every year.

AppDynamics Response

A member of the #WeAreCisco nation - HR team

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We love to hear some of your pros: the people you work with, the products being industry leading, having work-life balance, financial stability, great benefits, and how the work environment encourages ethical behavior. Lastly, we thank you for your advice to management as AppD will continue to invest in product innovation, our customers, and our people!

4. "Hard to Beat"

Current Employee - Salesforce Analyst

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AppD has so many good things going for them: smart, friendly people who care about what they do; job security with Cisco, which is an amazing company to be backed by; lots of room for career development.

Cons

Lots of changing dynamics when leadership left. Change can be great, but seeing a lot of new initiatives that seem rushed or not thought through.

5. COVID-19

"Surrounding yourself with AWESOME"

Current Employee - Sales Engineering Manager

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I joined AppD when it was a rocket ship ~5 years ago and have experienced the great and the challenged here. The great has far outweighed our challenges and much of that is because of the people. Quite simply, good people come and go, but a quality company like AppD(and Cisco) tends to attract some of the best. This means that you're very infrequently the "smartest" person in the room and there is incredible opportunity for growth personally and professionally. There are very few days that go by where I am not learning something new or watching people blossom here. That just does not happen at every job and it's something I appreciate greatly! Additionally, while the people are great and one of the reasons I've stuck around, I'm still here mainly because the software works. On the sales side, I've listened to stories of and experienced working for companies that had subpar offerings. They are hard to believe in and it's really hard to sell when you don't believe in the core component of your job. On a weekly basis, I get to see us solve business critical problems that our competition just can't. Trust me when I say that drives you to get the message out and help your customers. Finally, the acquisition by Cisco has worked out very well. They have a very people first approach across the board which is great (especially during the interesting times with COVID19). I glad to be working for a company that has an appreciation for their talent.

Cons

You will work, a lot. That is true of any job that has a rewarding experience, but you will be challenged in ways you have not been before. If you don't want that, it may not be the right job for you.

Continue reading
  6. "Great place with amazing people!"

Current Employee - Renewal Manager

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with AppD for over 3 years and have loved the development and growth I've seen here. The people are incredible and you are challenged to grow all the time. I've had 4 roles in 3.5 years and continue to take on new challenges and learning experiences. Our leadership team has really made the company a great place to work!

Cons

Not a lot... some teams experience a lack of work/life balance, but a lot of that is subject to individual teams and implementing your own priority in that regard.

"Great Culture but..."

4.0

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

The culture at AppD is great! Everyone is kind and they really do promote collaboration!

Cons

Career Growth here is possible, but it will be hard. Company is slowing down on internal promotions, but hiring a lot.

8. "Great company transitioning into new exciting phase"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership has changed in the past year and the new exec team is focused on the next phase of life for AppD and APM. It's an exciting time to be at the company and to be able to help define and put into practice those changes. We're also changing how we get work done. Focusing on creating unified vision and roadmap that teams are able to execute against.

Cons

Change doesn't come without its share of difficulties. But, teams are open to feedback, changing processes that don't work, and re-evaluating why we're doing things the way we are.

Continue reading
  9. "Change is good! Truly lucky to have a career here."

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is changing! Yes, this is a good thing, don't let the 5+ year employees stuck in their way dissuade you. Change is good, change brings opportunity - both for individual contributors and the company as a whole. AppDynamics is consistently breaking records, growing revenue, and outperforming the competition. The product has evolved far past "pure APM" and provides true value at both the IT and business level. -Accelerated career growth -Benefits: weekly massage, snacks/drinks, multiple catered meals, Cisco stock program, 401k match, health benefits, legal benefits, free therapy, etc. -Ability to run your own business and think like an entrepreneur, all ideas are considered -Cisco rated #1 place to work -Cisco ownership - all of the perks, none of the cons. Cisco stays hands-off AppD's culture, but provides tons of financial resources for R&D, headcount, etc. -Cisco's vision for the future is increasingly based upon AppD's successes and culture -Work/life balance is highly encouraged -Fantastic teams to be apart of, highly collaborative, intelligent people

Cons

Have to abide by Cisco's annual evaluation/raise cycle, maximum raise percentage cap, promotions and raises aren't quite as easy or frequent to come by as when AppD was its own company. Pay is competitive but arguably has room to grow - lots of reps have left to competitors or similar companies in the space to make more money, but that's typical in the sales world.

Continue reading
  10. "Best Decision of My Life"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming to AppD has been the best decision of my life. Having the backing of Cisco but the startup vibe of AppD has created an amazing workplace! The product is truly amazing and solves really big problems for businesses. Getting to be surrounded by so much raw talent, a great product and fun customers is a privilege.

Cons

Typical with sales but turnover with the account managers can be frustrating as an SE.

Found 86 reviews