AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
AppFolio President and CEO Brian Donahoo
Brian Donahoo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 13 reviews)

• Salaries in Customer success are low compared to the requirements of the job and the work load (in 8 reviews)

1. "Get your entry level time in, than get out!"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great culture. You will work alongside and laugh with some great people. You create relationships that will last after you leave.

Cons

1) The pay is not competitive or in alignment with other tech companies. If you have friends at Yardi or Procore, the pay is better there.
    2) Management. Management is petty. Directors are too busy to be bothered with the day to day, and managers are too emotional, and gossip ( i.e my manager has cried on the floor and has discussed other people, their performance, and their 1:1's to people on and off the team). Most Managers outside of clients services are hired from the outside with no direct experience only " transferable skills."My manager accomplishes nothing, is always online shopping, and is never be able to follow through or solve problems.
    3) Those who suck up and smile and nod their heads and say " This is great!" Or, "This is perfect I really love this!" and don't do more than you- those are the people that are promoted.

Advice to Management

Outside management is what draws your employees to better paying jobs elsewhere. Stop pretending that getting better desks and making a building look pretty is what drives higher internal NPS. Promote people to managers internally, and actually listen to your employees when they express that a manager is not a good fit.

2. "Great engineers but not management"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many talent engineers.
    Co workers are nice.
    Free food.

Cons

Pay is way below average. No bonus, no ESPP.
    Some engineering manager really doesn't care about technology and engineers.
    My manager misses quite a few team meetings and even those meeting he attended, he left in the middle which makes he lost track of how tech were decision made.
    Career growth is limited.
    Lack transparency on how decisions were made. Recruitment, product, KPI etc.

3. "Slum lord supporters"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, free company "swag", free booze. (People drink on the job frequently) decent pay. Co workers were awesome. Free snacks.

Cons

At initial on boarding yoi6 get told that the process of getting fired is a verbal warning written warning... Then final warning.. Though with me..my final warning and written warning for some reason was lumped all into one. Then getting told that I look lazy by the way you dress. How is that when the dress attire is casual. You sit at a desk all day and take calls. Hmm
    To have to take calls every day to slium lords that leave their tenants with toilets for weeks on end. No water for days. In the winter, no heat during a blizzard. I mean it seems to me that appfolio is all aboit the money and numbers. Dont you think it gies you a bad name to have property companies that are exhibiting this type of business. Re think apply for a job here. Whether or not its a job that pays. The fact is appfolio supports properties that dont give a cheap anyone other than that money in their pocket.
    Peace & love

Advice to Management

Coachings should be recorded at all times so that nothing can be said that can't be backed up.

May 23, 2017 – CMO

Sounds like it wasn't the right match - best of luck in the future.

"Executive sales leadership needs help"

Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Key Account Executive in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great snacks in the fridge! Colleagues are always supportive and willing to help or work through a deal.

Cons

Upper sales leadership is not committed to the success of the sales team, is rude and disrespectful, and has next to zero knowledge of our product.

Advice to Management

(To APM GM or CEO): Replace the current leader with a caring, knowledgeable and passionate leader who will be the face of APM. Someone who would actually learn the product, attend industry events, and who is fully vested in the success of the APM sales team.

Mar 20, 2017 – CMO

Our AppFolio Sales team is focused on the customer and delivering the highest quality sales process tailored to each individual business' needs and goals. We're proud of the customer-centered sales... More

"Great place to work?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio (More than a year)

Pros

Great offices, lots of snacks, training program, technology, company events, compensation

Cons

Management promotes an environment with equal opportunity for all employees, not true. Leads are distributed between all employees but some sales reps continuously get leads that are better than the rest. Company lacks diversity in hiring and management. I'm a white male and I was shocked at the lack of diversity in all levels of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to push your message of a great work environment for all, but take a little time to make that reality.

Sep 26, 2016 – CMO

A sales career here isn't for everyone - you have to be willing to put in the work to make yourself successful. We provide a ton of training and support, but at the end of the day it's up to you... More

"Sales Development Representative"

Pros

The training is great - I use what I learned everyday in my new, albeit not sales, position.

Motivated coworkers, team was always positive and encouraging (a requirement because the work itself is tiresome and repetitive)

Fun company culture. Team outings, fun spiffs, and company wide events.

Cons

The one downfall to this position was management. I was heavily micromanaged during my tenure in the department. My manager was also incredibly condescending, unprofessional in many ways, and expressed blatant favoritism. He was thrown into this role with no management experience (and no sales experience either).

I am honestly surprised by the positive reviews of this position. The discontent with management was frequently expressed by many members of the team, including top performers. Turnover was high, which our team felt was due to mismanagement in many cases.

No clear path to promotion - Many top performers (which I will admit, I was not one of them) had a promotion dangled in front of them for the purpose of improving their performance and boosting their numbers. However, when it came to promotion, they were overlooked.

What was most frustrating was how differently our manager acted toward upper management in comparison to how how he treated his team. Management seemed to promote those who were "coachable" rather than those who had good leadership abilities - patience, experience, maturity, and skill.

Advice to Management

Fear is not a good motivator and is detrimental to team success. Having the wrong manager in place has probably lost you a number of high quality employees.

Sep 26, 2016 – CMO

Glad to hear you're using the training you received here at your new position -- that's a great benefit for an entry-level position. The promotion path and requirements are documented and based on... More

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks in break room
    Nice people
    Good product
    Decent benefits
    Perfect for first job
    Casual environment
    Occasional paid lunches

Cons

Fraternity/Sorority environment
    Favoritism towards employees
    Leads are cherry picked
    Not good environment for experienced sales people
    Extremely high turnover
    Call Center environment
    No salary negotiation
    Limited opportunities
    Disjointed onboarding process

Advice to Management

Congrats on your "Best Place to Work" award. However, I guarantee that doesn't include customer service or sales. All companies have growing pains but there seems to be mistakes that can be easily rectified. I am not sure why they are choosing not to address them. Company needs better communication.

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

Sounds like you were pretty frustrated with your time in sales here at AppFolio. Technology sales is a competitive and challenging role and our pace can be challenging for some. It's so important... More

"It's alright"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Game rooms, snacks (not the healthiest), co-workers tend to be young, intelligent, and fun.

The CEO seems like a nice guy, and he's enjoyable to be around.

Cons

Salary SUCKS! This is something I've heard from people across departments too! If you're looking for a job here, be prepared for them to lowball you with the salary unless you're going into Sales. Once you work here already, they'll try to promote you and give you way more responsibility with not much more pay.

They want you to think they're devoted to you as an employee and say one of their values is to, "Do the right thing, because it's good for business." But they don't pay staff what they are worth for their work. I've also seen a number of people get promoted into new positions and start taking on more responsibilities but not get a pay increase for as long as a month or more! This is mainly in customer success.

The explanation for this is that "HR is just too busy" or "HR takes time to pass these things through". But in the meantime the staff is expected to continue working a more demanding position without a corresponding pay increase. That sound like doing the right thing to you?

They'll try to lure you in with the cool atmosphere and "perks" like a pool table, and free snacks, but at the end of the day their compensation package is garbage and they regularly underpay. Also the company still isn't profitable yet, so if you're looking at the big picture then that's an issue that can't continue and doesn't look good for the company if they can't turn a profit.

There are a number of positions here that are dead end positions that don't really lead anywhere within the company and don't have a clear promotion path. Many customer success managers, some positions in value added services.

At the end of the day it's an okay place to work in terms of atmosphere and people, but don't stay for too long because the earning potential simply isn't worth it.

Advice to Management

Stop spending as much on t-shirts, random cups/mugs, and other company swag, pay your staff more, and invest in their professional development to get people to stick around longer.

May 19, 2016 – CMO

It sounds like you're really frustrated! I encourage you to reach out to your manager or a member of our HR team to share your feedback and better understand your opportunities for career growth... More

"Favoritism, unprofessional"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, lunch catered in at the end of the month. Workload is challenging, but definitely rewarding. Overall a fun work environment.

Cons

I have done well here and this was once a great company to work for, however, they need to make some changes to succeed in the long run, starting with management. Work environment is unprofessional. Similar to some of the responses in other reviews, we are encouraged to talk to our managers if we have any concerns, however, colleagues that have done that have been put on plan and then fired. My advice is to just stay quiet. They claim that leads are evenly distributed but they aren't and most leads go to their friends- it's a lot like high school. Managers and higher-ups spend a lot amount of time going through your SF notes but fail to provide any guidance or advice for improvement. Some managers are out for only themselves, lack work ethic, and can be very unprofessional. Some even make fun of other employees and speak bad about their superiors when they aren't around. Raises and promotions are rare and offer little money. Some of the top performers in the company have been overlooked while others below them are promoted. There are lot of unnecessary meetings, they say they are there to help, and then react negatively if someone voices their frustrations.

Advice to Management

Act professional, be fair. We are told to take accountability for our actions, it's only fair management does the same instead of putting the blame on their sales team. A lot of good people have left, it would be sad to see more go. AppFolio's rules of engagement worked when it was a smaller company, now that it has gone public you should consider changing your direction and act like other publicly traded companies do in tech.

Feb 8, 2016 – VP Marketing

Thanks for your input - we've shared your concerns with our sales leadership. We do believe in promoting based on performance, accountability and a positive attitude and look to promote from within... More

"Immature, cliquey & naive"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marketing is great! If your in Dallas you get to see way more leads go Santa Barbara, although they'll never outsell you because they don't hunt. If you have any beefs with ROE just know seniority wins. Decent base if you haggle for it, however it was paid hourly so be ready to clock in and clock out. There's more, but if you go into this job as an individual knowing some of these things you might be more prepared for the REAL AppFolio.

Cons

Cramped spaces, managers don't lead by example. You get to hear about how good they were, but you'll only hear them on interviews or in sooo many unnecessary meetings. As you can see in past reviews the management turnover is also concerning YoY. I would ask why the stock plummeted after the 180 day insider lockout.

Advice to Management

Grow up, put people in place that will impact the bottom line and you might get that spark back.

Feb 1, 2016 – VP Marketing

You're right, the office in Dallas is cramped and we're moving into a pretty big space in just a couple of weeks. We actually have the same managers in place in Dallas over the past couple years and... More