AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

AppFolio Reviews

Updated May 3, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • They treat their employees in sales super well and always promote great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Customer Success is not appreciated enough - could boost morale with more recognition (in 9 reviews)

"Great company - horrendous Sales Development department"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio is a great company to work for. They offer a superior product, are an industry leader, financially solid, a bright future, offer TREMENDOUS benefits, great office locations (Santa Barbara, San Diego, Dallas), nice/new modern open floor plans, employee friendly/modern work environment, catered lunches and their famous fully stocked kitchen/free food.

In addition, one thing I highly respected was their transparency into the company's internal finances, processes and changes. We would have monthly company meetings hosted by the CEO or VP of Sales and all the department heads would share the changes and updates. Pretty rare for a publicly traded company.

Cons

I write this with the preface that I was not a perfect employee and made some mistakes. But I was well-respected and had no HR record.

I took the SDR role under the promise in my interview that if I met all the requirements for promotion I would have an opportunity to transfer further in the Marketing department . Throughout the course of the 1 year role obligation (WAY to long to be an outbound SDR), I achieved every requirement necessary and was a top performer on the team. When I became promotable I was told there are no higher level Marketing positions in the Dallas office. So I was misled from day 1 and used for department/company production for a year. I made it clear in my interview and throughout my tenure my only intention to continue my Marketing career. To be fair, I was offered promotions to other departments. None of them were in my career path so I declined.

The SDR role is atrocious. It's a vertical market and limited prospects. The department has been calling on the same prospects for years and AppFolio created a terrible sales tactic reputation. We were consistently reassigned accounts that were called way too many times in the past. I was instructed to even call accounts/contacts again that had previous call notes that said "Never contact me again", "Do not contact" and even people who unsubscribed from Marketing emails "to see if things changed". I was yelled at by prospects, pleaded with to stop calling, cussed out and hung up on countless times for continuing to call these accounts.

Inbound leads are a joke and veil of secrecy covers them. It was obvious the SDR team at corporate was fed more leads than our satellite office. We had to fight for a "put back" system when we were assigned garbage leads. Once we got a system, it would take management a week to approve and there was no transparency if we actually were placed back on top of the round robin.

SDR management is the most extreme passive-aggressive micro-managers I’ve ever worked for. They made a brutal job even more unbearable. It is a glorified cold-calling call center. They're obsessed with KPIs (primarily outbound calls), constantly monitoring the dashboards and would Gchat you if you're not on pace or didn’t hit your KPIs for 1 day. Even if your production (meetings set & SQLs created) were at or above quota you would be hounded. Further, if you were in trouble or they needed to talk to you they would sneak up behind your desk and say this incredibly annoying saying “Got a sec?”.

In addition, management was the worsts leaders I’ve ever had. In my entire tenure I maybe saw them call a prospect 5 times. They had no respect from the team because of this. The Sales managers on the other hand led by example and were constantly on calls and demos with prospects. SDR management would always show these ridiculous motivational videos, give these corny speeches, and have the cheesiest sayings and emails. We also had WAAAAY too many meetings/huddles for an SDR team. 1 every morning and afternoon which we would usually play these 3rd grader games. We’d even have random end of day huddles if that wasn’t enough. We were treated like children. If you were 10 minutes late from lunch you got a scolding. If you were gone from your desk “too long” they would come find you.

There were LOTS of broken promises that included:
    *Monthly team outings. We had maybe 5 in my 14 months
    *Misquoted monthly bonus amounts - We requested they be written into our comp
     plan to prevent this, but was told they “may change monthly” and would be too difficult.
    *Constantly changing and unclear promotion requirements
    *We were encouraged to give department feedback, but it was used against you

The pay is atrocious for the job and bearing the manager. You start at $18/hr. Per Glassdoor, the average starting salary for an SDR in Dallas is $22/hr.

To sum it up, in my 14 months there 18 SDRs either quit (14) or got fired (4) and only 3 were promoted. Says it all!

If you want to work for a great company apply at AppFolio. Just not as an SDR unless you’re looking for a miserable, dead-end entry level cold-calling job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to your growth strategy and taking care of your employees. If you want a successful Sales Development department fire the current management and bring in new competent, honest and strong leaders.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

An SDR role does include working toward KPIs, lots of outbound calling and working closely with management. For most of our SDR team, this is one of their first or second jobs - we invest a ton of ... More

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is amazing. Some of the best coworkers who will become life long friends. Everyone is caring, kind, fun to be around. The company does a great job at giving everyone SWAG, monthly events, lots of catered lunches, teams do their own outings, overall the benefits are top notch.

Cons

-The management was rough. They really do not listen to you when you talk to them. It's just about growing the numbers in order to make upper management look good.
    -There is not much room to grow as they pull outside people to management positions allowing you to not build your career.
    - My manager told us multiple times "I do not expect you to stay here. This is not a long term job with growth. This is a position for college graduates and we can find them all over." ... How is that supposed to help you when the Director does not even try to help you build a career.
    - Lots of micromanaging in some departments. Daily meetings as a group and weekly individually. Creates for a belittlement and distrusting environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they're the ones in the forefront hearing it from clients and hearing the inside gossip. They love AppFolio and if managers actually listened to the advice they give, morale, and stocks, could go up! ;)

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear you found the company culture amazing. We have so many stories of great internal growth, but each one of them has earned it. It can be frustrating to feel that you're not experiencing ... More

"Great people, less than stellar compensation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The best part of AppFolio is its people. I absolutely love everyone on my team and the positive work environment.

Cons

Although the atmosphere is great, the compensation is lacking. There isn't any form of pay structure, review system, and it seems that raises only come with position changes.

Post-IPO life is also quite different.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial if there was more clarity around raises and expression of the value of the work I do. Making up silly "rules" like compensation changes only accompany title change is just that, silly. I over-deliver on KPIs, and have pioneered features of our product, and there has been no reciprocation on the part of AppFolio. Loyalty is a two-way street.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you love your team and the positive work environment - this is so important and is a key element to loving your job. It sounds like you feel that you've really delivered a lot of ... More

"Love the people and culture but would like more compensation."

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love all of the people I work with and the company culture. AppFolio is also all about their customers, which I love. Making customers happy is the best part of my job.

Cons

Compensation could by higher. I only received my first and only raise in two years in anticipation of new CA regulations. There is also no system in place for employees to review their managers. I think some managers should be evaluated more closely.

Advice to Management

We know have an employee survey, but it would be great to also add in some review system for the management.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear that you love the people and the culture here - thank you for commenting on it! We have a really open office environment and if you're not getting what you need from your manager ... More

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people that work here are great. They hire young, excited people who are enthusiastic about what they do. They have a kitchen stocked with snacks, and dogs are welcome. All the 'fringe' benefits you expect from a tech company

Cons

The salary is poor, and there is no room for advancement (unless you are a software engineer, who are paid well and afforded opportunities for growth). All managers are hired from outside the company, and the majority do not come from tech, or the relevant department, so employees end up training their bosses, which creates an understandable amount of resentment. They also have no compunction with terminating employees when it is a good 'business decision', regardless of performance or fit. There are certainly some growing pains as they try to find a balance between being a good place to be all day, and making money. They have not found this balance yet.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, and offer salary increases after a few years of service.

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

I love to hear that the people who work here are great....and I completely agree! It sounds like you are frustrated in your current position and feel you've been overlooked for other career ... More

"Great People, Poor Pay"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at Appfolio are fantastic and truly make the environment enjoyable.

Cons

In my department, we were consistently overworked, and I felt we were greatly underpaid for what we were expected to do. I also felt we were not valued as much as other departments in the company.

Advice to Management

Make sure there is enough staff to cover daily duties and make sure pay is appropriate for the responsibilities of the position.

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

I agree that the people who work here truly make this a great place to work. Customer Success is a great entry level position, but your right that it can be tough work! Thank you for contributing ... More

"Great company, monotonous work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The company culture is fantastic. If you are considering AppFolio, prepare to be treated incredibly well. Management is relaxed, which was nice. There were lots of career opportunities since the company is young and growing.

Cons

The office (Dallas, at least) has a call center vibe. Prepare to be on the phone a LOT when you work here, unless you're in development of the software. In sales, success, implementation and value+, the days were driven heavily pestering clients over the phone. It got extremely monotonous. The pay was also very low. Compensation seemed to be lacking throughout the company. The onboarding process needs a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Create a formal onboarding process for new employees. Keep hiring as the company grows; departments seemed to be stretched thin.

Mar 7, 2016 – VP Marketing

Thanks for taking time to write a review - glad to hear you enjoyed the culture. It sounds like the job wasn't the right fit for you and we wish you the best in your next position.

"It is an okay company"

Current Employee - SDR in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - SDR in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good company

Cons

Lost its roots from a start up. No longer the same company.

Jan 14, 2016 – VP Marketing

You're right - companies do grow and change over time and we aren't a startup anymore. We do work to stay true to our core values and principles as we grow and there are many great benefits to being ... More

"Too good ."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice experience. Good technical job. Enjoyed the work culture and the CEO is also good

Cons

Startup level company .needs some improvements In scaling up the company.

Nov 19, 2015 – VP Marketing

We are growing quickly and moving fast and that environment isn't always the best fit for everyone -- we hope you find a better match in your next endeavor.

"Mostly good, some things they could improve."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people I work with. Good work/life balance. People are mostly nice. They've been able to hire smart and good natured people. They want to continue hiring smart and good natured people. Snacks. Occasional breakfast and lunch. Occasional team outings. Occasional fun events. PTO is alright. Just started 401k matching.

Good development processes. High quality employees, making great impact to the company.

If you're just starting your career, it's a great place.
    If you're just leaving a completely crappy employer, this is a great place.

Cons

Environment is for extroverts, introverts beware.
    They are hiring fast and cramming people in. Zero personal space. Lot's of noise. Office temperature is Cold then Hot. Not very conducive for creative people or focused time.
    Long waits for the disgusting bathroom are common.

They hire a lot of people fresh out of college, so if you have any experience be prepared to be pushed to mentor. They should provide some incentive for it.

Couple times a year, employees are pressured into delivering a work related project in 24 hrs, in exchange for food, beer and shirts/sweaters.

The pay and benefits are mediocre, compared to the quality, quantity, responsibility and impact of work.

Raises are on the weak side. No profit sharing at this time. Number of Options granted at a time is now low and doesn't off set the low end of pay.

Seems like the company is deliberately leveraging work relationships and atmosphere in order to pay on the lower end.

Apr 20, 2015 – VP Marketing

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. We definitely hear you on the space - we're growing quickly and working hard to make enough room for everyone! The good news is we ... More