AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 7, 2018

AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• AppFolio is an awesome company that has stayed true to its company values; that great people make a great company (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 15 reviews)

• Cost of living in Santa Barbara is expensive but in my opinion worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. "Customer success manager"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people, snacks/ catered lunch, open atmosphere in the office. Ultimately a good first job but not a career.

Cons

Management does not listen, they act as if your suggestions are heard but no changes are made. Underpaid (the range listed is a lie), over worked. Very high turnover rate because good talent is not respected/ appreciated. Very political in the office and if you do not agree you are "outted." Nothing I was promised was delivered- no room for growth, no monetary compensation for good work.

Advice to Management

Make changes, listen to your employees- there is a reason everyone who has left has the same opinions.

2. "Great culture, ehhhh management"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at AppFolio as an intern

Pros

Good culture, great snack bar

Cons

Management did not want to stimulate growth

Advice to Management

Please be open to helping your good employees to further their job opportunities

"MCC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio has a great culture and the benefits are spectacular.

Cons

When you start working in MCC you are told there is a lot of room for growth but that is false. In my time there only 3 persons were promoted into other department’s. Only the “favorite” workers get promoted. Another thing that is bringing down MCC is the managers. Some of the new managers in MCC are condensending. They are rude and have been known to talk bad about associates. Associates have found out what some of these managers are saying about them, which is why they have given up trying to work harder and have resorted to gossiping. I believe management is a reflection of the company and these new mangers are not painting a good picture. There are some mangers in MCC that truly do an amazing job and deserve credit!

Advice to Management

AppFolio is a growing company with a lot of potential. MCC which is just a department within the company is also growing but there is a lot of room for improvement and I believe management is where the improvement should start . The new mangers need to go over the companies culture and reevaluate the way they are treating their employees. Once that has been addressed they need to rethink their hiring process, as some employees being hired are not the best and they do not plan on improving.

Nov 28, 2017 – CMO

Our Maintenance Contact Center position is a great opportunity to launch a career at AppFolio - but we do have high expectations for those who want to grow into other positions in our company.

4. "Appfolio is great... but"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My peers were great. Such an amazing hardworking group of people. Leader was also so personable and a overall great guy.

Cons

Co workers were really great. Management not so much. Maybe one person in 5 years got a raise and promotion on our small team. Manager was extremely micromanaging and rude to his employees. I understand the hardball approach but it got ridiculous. Things were promised but never happened.

Advice to Management

Don't take your staff for granted. The "grunts" work very hard and keep the wheels moving. Continue adding value to your teams and listening to them before they move on.

"Changes have affected the culture"

Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

paid time off, company events, hack days, free snacks, lunches, beer, tshirts, foosball

Cons

Engineering management changes really affected the culture. For years, it was a fun and open environment, but many got frustrated with the new management focus on speed over quality and the bigger picture, the lack of transparency, and not having real input on decisions. Seemed like there were a growing number of senior employees getting fed up and leaving the company while others feared speaking up would affect their opportunities.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the engineering leadership style, and provide more management training and guidence. Go back to the original values and culture that made it great. Do more to keep long term employees from leaving. Benefits were good, but compensation couldve been more competitive.

Sep 28, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your feedback and advice on how we can continue to improve. As we grow, we continue to build from our past but also work to embrace new approaches. I know how committed our... More

6. "Very fun and nice people but a little hectic."

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at AppFolio as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and employees. It's a large company that actually cares for their employees and what they're going through at the moment.

Cons

A bit to lenient, works would bring in their children and they would run and scream close to the reps.

Advice to Management

The management team there was amazing

"Great company - horrendous Sales Development department"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio is a great company to work for. They offer a superior product, are an industry leader, financially solid, a bright future, offer TREMENDOUS benefits, great office locations (Santa Barbara, San Diego, Dallas), nice/new modern open floor plans, employee friendly/modern work environment, catered lunches and their famous fully stocked kitchen/free food.

In addition, one thing I highly respected was their transparency into the company's internal finances, processes and changes. We would have monthly company meetings hosted by the CEO or VP of Sales and all the department heads would share the changes and updates. Pretty rare for a publicly traded company.

Cons

I write this with the preface that I was not a perfect employee and made some mistakes. But I was well-respected and had no HR record.

I took the SDR role under the promise in my interview that if I met all the requirements for promotion I would have an opportunity to transfer further in the Marketing department . Throughout the course of the 1 year role obligation (WAY to long to be an outbound SDR), I achieved every requirement necessary and was a top performer on the team. When I became promotable I was told there are no higher level Marketing positions in the Dallas office. So I was misled from day 1 and used for department/company production for a year. I made it clear in my interview and throughout my tenure my only intention to continue my Marketing career. To be fair, I was offered promotions to other departments. None of them were in my career path so I declined.

The SDR role is atrocious. It's a vertical market and limited prospects. The department has been calling on the same prospects for years and AppFolio created a terrible sales tactic reputation. We were consistently reassigned accounts that were called way too many times in the past. I was instructed to even call accounts/contacts again that had previous call notes that said "Never contact me again", "Do not contact" and even people who unsubscribed from Marketing emails "to see if things changed". I was yelled at by prospects, pleaded with to stop calling, cussed out and hung up on countless times for continuing to call these accounts.

Inbound leads are a joke and veil of secrecy covers them. It was obvious the SDR team at corporate was fed more leads than our satellite office. We had to fight for a "put back" system when we were assigned garbage leads. Once we got a system, it would take management a week to approve and there was no transparency if we actually were placed back on top of the round robin.

SDR management is the most extreme passive-aggressive micro-managers I’ve ever worked for. They made a brutal job even more unbearable. It is a glorified cold-calling call center. They're obsessed with KPIs (primarily outbound calls), constantly monitoring the dashboards and would Gchat you if you're not on pace or didn’t hit your KPIs for 1 day. Even if your production (meetings set & SQLs created) were at or above quota you would be hounded. Further, if you were in trouble or they needed to talk to you they would sneak up behind your desk and say this incredibly annoying saying “Got a sec?”.

In addition, management was the worsts leaders I’ve ever had. In my entire tenure I maybe saw them call a prospect 5 times. They had no respect from the team because of this. The Sales managers on the other hand led by example and were constantly on calls and demos with prospects. SDR management would always show these ridiculous motivational videos, give these corny speeches, and have the cheesiest sayings and emails. We also had WAAAAY too many meetings/huddles for an SDR team. 1 every morning and afternoon which we would usually play these 3rd grader games. We’d even have random end of day huddles if that wasn’t enough. We were treated like children. If you were 10 minutes late from lunch you got a scolding. If you were gone from your desk “too long” they would come find you.

There were LOTS of broken promises that included:
    *Monthly team outings. We had maybe 5 in my 14 months
    *Misquoted monthly bonus amounts - We requested they be written into our comp
     plan to prevent this, but was told they “may change monthly” and would be too difficult.
    *Constantly changing and unclear promotion requirements
    *We were encouraged to give department feedback, but it was used against you

The pay is atrocious for the job and bearing the manager. You start at $18/hr. Per Glassdoor, the average starting salary for an SDR in Dallas is $22/hr.

To sum it up, in my 14 months there 18 SDRs either quit (14) or got fired (4) and only 3 were promoted. Says it all!

If you want to work for a great company apply at AppFolio. Just not as an SDR unless you’re looking for a miserable, dead-end entry level cold-calling job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to your growth strategy and taking care of your employees. If you want a successful Sales Development department fire the current management and bring in new competent, honest and strong leaders.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

An SDR role does include working toward KPIs, lots of outbound calling and working closely with management. For most of our SDR team, this is one of their first or second jobs - we invest a ton of... More

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is amazing. Some of the best coworkers who will become life long friends. Everyone is caring, kind, fun to be around. The company does a great job at giving everyone SWAG, monthly events, lots of catered lunches, teams do their own outings, overall the benefits are top notch.

Cons

-The management was rough. They really do not listen to you when you talk to them. It's just about growing the numbers in order to make upper management look good.
    -There is not much room to grow as they pull outside people to management positions allowing you to not build your career.
    - My manager told us multiple times "I do not expect you to stay here. This is not a long term job with growth. This is a position for college graduates and we can find them all over." ... How is that supposed to help you when the Director does not even try to help you build a career.
    - Lots of micromanaging in some departments. Daily meetings as a group and weekly individually. Creates for a belittlement and distrusting environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they're the ones in the forefront hearing it from clients and hearing the inside gossip. They love AppFolio and if managers actually listened to the advice they give, morale, and stocks, could go up! ;)

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear you found the company culture amazing. We have so many stories of great internal growth, but each one of them has earned it. It can be frustrating to feel that you're not experiencing... More

9. "Not bad.."

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Free snacks, dogs, pay isn't terrible, flex hours

Cons

Don't care much for the mission of the company, property management software is not that interesting to me. Nothing they can do about that.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

I'd encourage you to take a moment and read through the case studies about our customers (https://www.appfolio.com/case-studies) and understand the business and personal impact our software has... More

10. "Implementation Manager"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Manage diverse set of clients, fun working environment

Cons

Has unrealistic expectations on implementation goals - makes the work very stressful.

Mar 6, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for your time helping our customers get up and running on the software. We wish you the best in the future.