AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great company culture, strong values (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 16 reviews)

• Cost of living in Santa Barbara is expensive but in my opinion worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Company with Great Benefits"

Pros

The leadership at AppFolio really cares about your well-being and this is a great company to work for

Cons

The intern work is tedious but the company as a whole is amazing

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

2. "Good Place to Start!"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Free snacks, Benefits, Nice People, Opportunities to try a different position after working in your current one for a while!

Cons

Training could be better. They like to leave you alone and have you ask questions constantly to get help but I think it would be more efficient to have someone guide you through the steps.

Advice to Management

Better Training

Nov 16, 2017 – CMO

Sounds like you're having a good start early in your career. Please share your thoughts around training ideas with your manager - I'm sure he/she'd love to hear them!

3. "Associate Contact Center Specialist"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

AppFolio is a great company to work for if you are looking to expand your professional career. Growth is definitely possible within the department (as well as outside departments) if you are willing to work hard and invest time with the right people. Opportunities are there if you are a top performer with an eye for high standards and the ability to empower others.

AppFolio provides awesome benefits (PTO, health, dental), a kitchen with snacks, drinks and coffee machines and company events (monthly meetings, charity events, etc). The culture is exceptional!

Cons

The Maintenance Contact Center department has a lot of potential; some of the managers are not invested in making the call center better, allowing employees to dress inappropriately (miniskirts, sweatpants, no shoes), bully colleages and regularly be tardy. While several of the managers have an extremely high level of professionalism and truly work to succeed their team, a couple are openly uncaring about the company and play favoritism.

Advice to Management

Implement a write-up system; employees will continue to be late, continue to promote sloppiness in the work environment and disrespect their peers, as well as their seniors. Take the time when promoting, as essential skills for the position include emotional maturity and the ability to learn independently.

"Great start to a career"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio (More than a year)

Pros

-Collaboration across departments allows you to learn a lot about how the business works very quickly.
    -Fun company events and great company culture.
    -Upper management was very transparent about company goals.

Cons

-Compensation was not entirely fair for industry standards in certain positions. Hopefully this has changed since I worked here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture and make sure that all employees feel equally valued.

"Learned a lot about SaaS sales"

Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Richardson, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High-energy environment, peer support is outstanding, people really want you to succeed. Ongoing training is always available. Great snacks and lunch often brought in

Cons

While it is a fun atmosphere, there is a lot of pressure, and you may feel micromanaged at times

"Much love for the Implementation Team! ❤"

Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved the people I worked with everyday. Made it such a friendly work environment and you enjoy going to work each day. They promote good culture, which I really liked. Workload was not overwhelming. It is tough at first, like any new job, but once you learn the basics work life balance is great.

Implementation is such a great department to join. You learn many skills that will help you with any new career choice later in life.

Cons

Implementation leadership and on-boarding need more attention and focus. Leadership has insufficient People Management experience. They make decisions that lead to disadvantageous Manager and Specialist pairings because they don't understand diverse personalities.

Advice to Management

Please train the Implementation leadership on how to manage people. I have had many jobs and have seen what good leadership can do for a team. Talk with the current employees, encourage them to speak their mind with impunity. There were times when our whole team was shocked about leadership's handling of situations with employees, current & former. No one to talk to about these incidents, though. Implementation hires great people, however, when you hire great co-workers that become our friends, it makes it worse when they're mistreated.

Harvard Business Review article that I think would be helpful, titled, "Great Teams Are About Personalities, Not Just Skills" - Posted: 01/2017

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Implementation plays such an important role in getting our customers started on the right foot and I'm so glad to hear that you learned skills that will help you in your career.

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and fun environment to work in. Appfolio is definitely an amazing place to start a career for new graduates.

Cons

I get the sense that many people at the company are very comfortable with their jobs. Now, this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing! Personally, I would prefer to be surrounded by more aspirational people though. Middle management certainly seems to aspire for a great product, but often lack the inspiration to motivate teams.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives to learn skills outside of one's day-to-day job. Ensuring your employees do great work with their current jobs is wonderful, but training them for larger roles and/or opening learning opportunities for career switches would be phenomenal.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear this has been a great place to start your career. Thanks for the suggestion about offering additional skills training!

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at AppFolio for over two years and loved it. The team culture is work hard play hard... literally, a basketball hoop in kitchen. Everyone is like a second family. The product truly transforms companies lives.

Cons

Pricing went up, don't close as many deals with the new structure in place. We used to tell companies we can help them no matter the size, now all of that has changed.

Advice to Management

Big on career growth, but not many options. Never look at an employee as just a number, take pride in their work and never stop teaching them. Provide room for growth.

Feb 23, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you had a great experience working here - hope you find success and happiness at your next company too. Thank you for contributing to our success and for the advice as we grow.

9. "Excellent Company with a Start-Up Culture"

Former Intern - Value Added in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Intern - Value Added in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture. Every employee's opinion is valued.

Cons

Repetitive work and low pay.

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AppFolio part-time

Pros

nice benefits, nice team and manager, overall great work environment

Cons

hard to meet new people in different teams

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for creative ways to help more team members meet each other. This year we're planning some more lunches, another give-back event... More