AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• AppFolio invests heavily in hiring the right people and maintaining an amazing company culture (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 13 reviews)

• Salaries in Customer success are low compared to the requirements of the job and the work load (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company From Top Down!"

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are customer centric. We build great software and genuinely care about the relationships we build with our users.

Executives hold regular company meetings to keep all of us in the know about what we are doing as a company.

Many opportunities to collaborate across departments. This is great for networking, building relationship and professional skills, and gives opportunity to make an impact on a large scale.

Once you have put in the time and effort there is a ton of opportunity. We have a ton of great people. Hard work and commitment are rewarded.

I have been at AppFolio for just over 6 years. My career has grown, my salary has grown, and I have grown (my second job out of college).

I have been treated well by everyone from our CEO, to VP's, directors, and managers. I genuinely feel like I can approach anyone in the company. My opinions and those of my colleagues are valued.

The company looks for feedback from our employees, regularly, and spends a great deal of effort building on the positive and addressing any concerns.

On a personal level, Appfolio leadership has proven to me that they want to see me succeed. The support is tremendous. It speaks volumes that I have received such a great level of support at a growing and successful company.

Cons

AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it). If you work in the Dallas office the cost of living is a nonfactor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Transparency, listening and acting on employee feedback, recruiting great talent, and fostering a fun atmosphere is something unique to AppFolio. The majority of my friends who work outside of Appfolio don't report the same experience.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it is so great to hear from team members like you who have been here for years and experienced support from leadership, career growth and feel heard... More

2. "Best Place To Work In Santa Barbara!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Great company culture. Everyone has a can do attitude and is always willing to help out a colleague. Free food, fun games, and great parties. Upper management is always very approachable and open to new ideas.

Cons

Coffee machine has powdered milk. Construction in the office has taken a long time and but I know the end result will be a great working space.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The transition to the new CEO has been really smooth.

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Key Account Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Key Account Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest Pro is how they are open with upward mobility within the company. You always feel like you have direction and something to work hard for. The management team is always open to providing steps to your career path so you do not feel stuck in the same job/role.

You have the ability to increase your salary quickly. It is not based on some small percentage increase over years. It is based on performance.

Also, the people here are great and the culture is very positive from the top down.

Cons

Because of the nature of an accounting software, the learning curve is steep and takes a while to understand it fully.

Advice to Management

The management is the main reason why I have stayed at AppFolio. They always support us and take our side. Definitely keep that up.

I think getting some days to work from home would be great. Right now we work in the office 100% of the time. Being in the office is important for learning and asking questions but the Dallas commute is pretty tough.

4. "Why Someone Should Consider AppFolio"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are numerous items I can list here on why AppFolio is a great place to work, but I will focus on a couple I find to be the most rewarding and impactful. Having to like where you work is extremely important since this is where you spend a majority of your week. Not only do we have a great space to work in, but the people who work here as well make the job. AppFolio does a wonderful job at hiring people that are alike, are motivated people, and most importantly, are friendly people. The job details only take you so far, but it is the energy, atmosphere, and culture that set it apart from other companies in the area.

The second biggest piece of it, for me, is the opportunities available. AppFolio and its upper management are not ones to hold their employees back from moving between departments and growing within the company. They notice the hard work, work ethic, and motivation of their staff and want to help them build their careers. Factors like these are what has helped me grow throughout the years both professionally and within my role at the company.

As I said, there are many reasons, but these are just a couple on why I would, and do, recommend AppFolio!

Cons

Nothing that would cause me to not recommend anyone to apply.

Oct 4, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. Your comment 'it is the energy, atmosphere, and culture that set it apart from other companies in the area' is so great to hear... More

5. "Recommended work place"

Former Employee - Finance in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company and great work environment!

Cons

Everything was just really great!

Oct 4, 2017 – CMO

So glad you had a good experience here - wish you the best in your next endeavor!

6. "Good Career Support w/ SDR Team"

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- open minded, efficient, strategic, intelligent team
    - strong management and leadership
    - transparent leadership with open communication lines
    - constantly striving to do better and be better
    - invested in your well-being and career growth as an employee
    - learn and discuss skills that go beyond the job and desk

Cons

- can get stressful at times
    - sometimes can get a little micro-managy

Advice to Management

Forgot to mention that sometimes the team does feel like they are being treated like kids (the micro-managy part, i.e. showing them that you trust them with time management and to reach out for help etc) Opening that up, might open up more space to talk and for folks to take up more space and contribute to the team.

Oct 4, 2017 – CMO

The pros you listed are so nice to hear - the SDR leadership team is always thinking about enabling the right mindset, work ethic and attitude for the team - it can be both a stressful and exciting... More

7. "Good Career Growth Opportunities and Support"

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- strong, transparent leadership with open communication lines
    - intelligent, open-minded, supportive, efficient team and teamwork
    - supportive in your career growth
    - learn and discuss skills beyond the job and work place
    - it's clear they care about your well-being and want you to be taken care of so you can focus on doing good work

Cons

- can get stressful at times
    - can get micro-managy

Advice to Management

*forgot to mention that sometimes it can feel like we are / were being treated like kids. (i.e. trust us with our time management and that we will reach out when we need to) I do think this has improved during the time I was there though, so I imagine y'all are continuing that work. this can also open up opportunities for folks to feel more open to share

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Maintenance Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking to grow your career to the next level, this is the place to start!

AppFolio truly cares for it's employees personal and professional growth and will provided you with the necessary resources to help you further your career. Your supervisors become your mentors and your co-workers become part of your family. The company truly cares about the culture and they really invest time hiring the right people for each position. Your hard work does not go unnoticed in any way, shape or form.

The company provides you with a great work/life balance, cool swag, paid time off and on-site/off-site team building events.

I have been with AppFolio for less than a year and cannot wait to further my growth with such a great company.

Cons

I wish the Dallas office was more outgoing when it comes to team building events and would be willing to get to know other team members from different departments, especially on company wide events.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and acting on employee feedback right away and continue to hire quality people to continue such a great work culture.

Sep 28, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you're having a great experience and growing your career. Your advice is perfect - we will keep listening and working to hire great people! Thank you for taking the time to share... More

9. "Love working here!"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

+ We are all focused on our customers and the impact we provide to their business
    + As we've grown we continue to move fast - it's an exciting and interesting place to work
    + Leaders from all parts of the company care about the people who work here, our customers and the business and it shows up in our great culture and team
    + We're always looking to improve - listening to customers and our team to make everything we do even better every day
    + Santa Barbara is an amazing place to live and work!

Cons

+ The coffee could be better.....!

Advice to Management

+ Keep being great listeners to customers and employees
    + Make it a priority to keep our culture great

Sep 28, 2017 – CMO

Loving where you work makes life so much better! I've heard we're working getting even better coffee machines so the Handelbar coffee tastes even better - stay tuned :)

10. "Great Values.. Great Company!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Appfolio has great values they stick by and really hire genuine, real, honest people and care about us. It's important for me to be heard and I come up with impactful ideas so for a company to actually listen and respond to all employees is pretty cool! Love our culture too and perks. We have fun at work while revolutionizing our customer's lives for the better.

Cons

We literally deal with the slowest to move to technology people (sometimes) and it can be a little frustrating trying to get people to get over their "fear of change" but when they do it makes it worth it. I guess another con is we could always have more days off! lol, we do have quite a bit but hey throw another volunteer day!

Advice to Management

Guys - you all are great! Keep doing what you're doing. We're pretty happy to work with such great people! Maybe some go home early days, lol. Keep up the awesome work! I'm fortunate to be apart of such an awesome company!

Sep 28, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for noticing & appreciating our commitment to our values - this has been important to us since the beginning and is so important as we grow. On the front lines in our SDR program, talking... More