AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppFolio President and CEO Brian Donahoo
Brian Donahoo

Pros
  • They treat their employees in sales super well and always promote great work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Customer Success is not appreciated enough - could boost morale with more recognition (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company From Top Down!"

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are customer centric. We build great software and genuinely care about the relationships we build with our users.

Executives hold regular company meetings to keep all of us in the know about what we are doing as a company.

Many opportunities to collaborate across departments. This is great for networking, building relationship and professional skills, and gives opportunity to make an impact on a large scale.

Once you have put in the time and effort there is a ton of opportunity. We have a ton of great people. Hard work and commitment are rewarded.

I have been at AppFolio for just over 6 years. My career has grown, my salary has grown, and I have grown (my second job out of college).

I have been treated well by everyone from our CEO, to VP's, directors, and managers. I genuinely feel like I can approach anyone in the company. My opinions and those of my colleagues are valued.

The company looks for feedback from our employees, regularly, and spends a great deal of effort building on the positive and addressing any concerns.

On a personal level, Appfolio leadership has proven to me that they want to see me succeed. The support is tremendous. It speaks volumes that I have received such a great level of support at a growing and successful company.

Cons

AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it). If you work in the Dallas office the cost of living is a nonfactor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Transparency, listening and acting on employee feedback, recruiting great talent, and fostering a fun atmosphere is something unique to AppFolio. The majority of my friends who work outside of Appfolio don't report the same experience.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it is so great to hear from team members like you who have been here for years and experienced support from leadership, career growth and feel heard ... More

"Walk away"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and decent benefits and pay

Cons

No true training and if you can't keep up they will let you go

Nov 19, 2015 – VP Marketing

Autonomy, accountability and a quick pace are core parts of our culture and environment. We believe this contributes to making this a great place to work for all of us. It sounds like you're on ... More

"What flavor do you like your kool-aid?"

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues are fun to work with
    - Kitchen
    - Chance to earn a few extra bucks here and there
    - Software is great
    - Other departments seem to have fun...

Cons

Where to begin? Clearly the October 17th review isn't a real employee, only been there for a month, or they were told to say something. The previous negative reviews from the past year are dead on. Seriously.... take those into heavy consideration when thinking about applying for the company as an SDR.

The executive team really doesn't care about the SDR department. They tell us we are the heart of the company and sales (duh... every SDR department is) and our feedback is heard. Is it though Mrs. CMO? Have you read these SDR reviews on Glassdoor? How has the executive team and management not put two and two together? We know why ;)

Managers drink any flavor that is given to them by the executive team. Speaking of managers, lies lies lies. They are really good at micromanagement (they should write a book about it), not fighting for you, using your words against you, and covering up everything they say. Often times they tell you one thing, it'll change, they won't tell you it changed, you're still believing and achieving for the originally thing, and then once you achieve it, they'll say, "Oh. Sorry. Forgot to tell you. It's actually...". Examples of this include but not limited to: KPIs, bonus pay outs, promotion criteria, department transfer

The "anonymous", optional employee survey. We were told to take it and encouraged to say good things. They practically watched us fill it out. You think any SDR is going to be honest? Anonymous surveys in a company don't exist.

The pay is awful for an SDR and the bonus/commission you get when the ISR/AE decides to make it an Opportunity (fair?) is a joke. Plus, most SDR departments will pay either a bonus or a commission of the final sale to the SDR. This happens at AppFolio only if you've suffered enough as an SDR and made it to White Belt, Ninja, Green Beret, or whatever dumb thing they decide to call it.

SDR jobs are a dime a dozen in the D/FW Metroplex. I guess it's because of this reality that they think they can easily put a body in a seat, so they don't change and listen to actual reviews and complaints. The executive team won't change. If you're looking for an SDR job, I highly encourage you to read all the reviews and make an educated decision. The company culture is great. I'll give you that. But as an SDR within the company under the current management and executive team...

I can't wait to read the CMO's response. I'm sure it'll be a generic thank you, we value our SDR team members, we strive to be the best, blah blah blah. I've met all the executive team over my 13+ months of employment there and they are all fake and clueless. Why didn't I leave earlier? Because I was promised several things and believed in that. Guess I saw that light.

But at the end of the day, executive team doesn't take the SDRs opinions into any consideration. Because if they did, the management, current atmosphere/mood, and turnover rate wouldn't be what it is.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings that are 100% unnecessary and a waste of time. Stop drinking the kool-aid. You're not the reason AppFolio is good. You're mid-level managers with nothing to do most of the time, so you sit and talk with each other on how to create pointless things. We notice.

Dec 12, 2016 – CMO

I will say, it's the first time I've been called 'Mrs. CMO’…..! Many of our SDRs start with AppFolio as their first or second job. We provide tons of training on sales skills, communication ... More

"MCC needs attention."

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time at AppFolio I enjoyed the culture, the kitchen (of course) and the mostly the people I worked with.

Cons

Where to start...
    I was in MCC. I worked crazy hours for a long time. I was there in the building completely alone during times when I definitely should not have been-wasn't safe, power outages, etc. I had impeccable numbers even for the odd hours. I was continuously jerked around in regards to a raise or a department transfer, just like most everyone else was. I will admit there were transfers to other departments but that was not common. You were always told why you couldn't transfer out or couldn't get a raise rather than being told how to achieve those things. So there is little growth in MCC.

I definitely should have left earlier than I did but I had hopes that I would get what I was worth at some point. That had a lot to do with there being almost no transparency with management and the demeaning manner in which they "managed" the teams. It was borderline verbal abuse in most cases.

The review from December 7th is the most accurate review I've read yet, by the way.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't cast aside your good employees with MCC, especially the overnight employees. There absolutely needs to be more transparency. There definitely needs to be more valuable recognition because we can pay the bills with "company swag"

Jan 12, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your experience didn't match your expectations. Working in our Maintenance Contact Center team is a great entry level position and can grow ... More

"Designers need not apply. Great for developers."

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Great work space. Mostly great people. Lots of free food and games. Great if you're an engineer.

Cons

They won't understand design because leadership doesn't understand or respect it.

I have literally heard executives and heads of Product say design is only there to assist engineers and that it's an afterthought. Not an exaggeration.

If you're a designer prepare to be considered a 3rd class citizen.

Advice to Management

Apple is the most valuable company in the world in a large part due to design. Don't talk about "design being part of a 3-legged stool" and then act like it's not important. You will loose relevancy quickly due to your clunky and dated designs.

"Never work here"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have pretty good snacks and I would've expected the pay to be less for doing something that my cat could do.

Cons

Very unprofessional work environment. Do not become an Sales Development Representative unless you want to be treated like you are 5 and enjoy making over 100 calls and emails per day. You call horrible property managers that are not interested in a mediocre product and just cuss at you until you hang up. The manager is horrible in the Dallas office, it's basically just a joke. There is not upward mobility, it's all around just a terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Don't treat your employees like they are children. Stop with the childish games.

Apr 6, 2017 – CMO

It sounds like this wasn't the right place for you (or for your cat). SDRs that find success in their career at AppFolio typically have a positive mindset; care about the success of our customers ... More

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagels on Monday & Wednesday

Cons

Everyone is under paid and over worked. They try to appease and distract you with all the "perks" so that you feel you're getting more than you actually are. Company culture is not the friendly, all-encompassing, all-caring atmosphere they claim. Much more of a frat house/boys club environment than anything else. Hazing, bullying, etc. Do not waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your company culture actually IS. Just because you want it to be one way doesn't mean that you've accomplished that.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

Hope you were able to share your experience with your manager and our HR team prior to leaving AppFolio so they could better understand your experience. Sounds like you've moved on to another ... More

"Associate Customer Service Representative MCC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros was the free snacks and the people you work with.

Cons

The managers were bad and would constantly harass you. The job itself at MCC gets tiring. It is just not good for your mental health getting yelled at every day. Lying to the people is encouraged in order to get average call time down. There are favorites in MCC. Only the favorites get attention and promotional opportunities.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are hiring good managers for MCC. The managers do not understand how to run a call center. If you want to grow this department you need better managers.

May 5, 2017 – CMO

Happy to hear you enjoyed your co-workers. Sounds like this role wasn't the best fit for you and we wish you the best in your next endeavor.

"Software Engineer"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

I believe that the truly most greatest part of this company is the snacks and the free t-shirts. They attempt to build an inclusive culture, but there is a large disconnect between desire and reality.

Cons

The people you work with are not always skilled. There is an attempt to make the work accurate and agile, however, there is just not enough people who know what they are doing. The managers are micro-managers. There is a disconnect between what the company wants to do and what they actually do.

Advice to Management

Make sure the vision of the company is clear.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Sounds like AppFolio wasn't the right fit for you - we wish you the best in the future.

"From Great to good..."

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Fun company events and trips out to Santa Barbara, CA along with an entertaining and lively sales team.

Cons

Upper management is largely out of touch with what occurs "in practice" regarding how the product is actually bought and sold by property management companies. Since the departure of the two main sales leaders/managers, it's become nothing but a boiler room and morale has decreased to the point that its hard to come to work.

Advice to Management

Realize that appfolio property manager is NOT gotomeeting and that proper care and concern need to be taken with each prospect and buyer. The increasing influence of the past Citrix leadership and strategy is slowing growth and decreasing employee morale & job satisfaction.