AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Great company culture, strong values (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 15 reviews)

• Cost of living in Santa Barbara is expensive but in my opinion worth it (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An all-around awesome company"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AppFolio is an awesome company that has stayed true to its company values; that great people make a great company.

Its built for long-term success and still feels like a small, agile start-up.
    And we are on an incredible trajectory of continued, sustainable growth.

Hard work pays off if you want to continue to grow your career as AppFolio and invests a ton in professional growth and training.

Our Leadership is very transparent and approachable which makes it great to have alignment on goals that every team can understand, where they make an impact to the business, and most importantly how that helps our customers in their business.

The benefits and company culture are awesome, and the work/life balance makes for very happy employees!

Cons

There are a lot of free snacks and food so you need to be very disciplined in watching your waistline.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency on communicating the vision and goals of AppFolio. It is very inspiring! I love seeing that our leadership has been here since the beginning and have continued to be aligned in setting goals that drive growth.

Oct 27, 2017 – CMO

Great advice to keep up the transparency - I love to hear that it's inspiring to you! Staying connected and aligned is so important to us as we grow and it's great to hear that is valued by our long... More

"Walk away"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and decent benefits and pay

Cons

No true training and if you can't keep up they will let you go

Nov 19, 2015 – VP Marketing

Autonomy, accountability and a quick pace are core parts of our culture and environment. We believe this contributes to making this a great place to work for all of us. It sounds like you're on... More

"What flavor do you like your kool-aid?"

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues are fun to work with
    - Kitchen
    - Chance to earn a few extra bucks here and there
    - Software is great
    - Other departments seem to have fun...

Cons

Where to begin? Clearly the October 17th review isn't a real employee, only been there for a month, or they were told to say something. The previous negative reviews from the past year are dead on. Seriously.... take those into heavy consideration when thinking about applying for the company as an SDR.

The executive team really doesn't care about the SDR department. They tell us we are the heart of the company and sales (duh... every SDR department is) and our feedback is heard. Is it though Mrs. CMO? Have you read these SDR reviews on Glassdoor? How has the executive team and management not put two and two together? We know why ;)

Managers drink any flavor that is given to them by the executive team. Speaking of managers, lies lies lies. They are really good at micromanagement (they should write a book about it), not fighting for you, using your words against you, and covering up everything they say. Often times they tell you one thing, it'll change, they won't tell you it changed, you're still believing and achieving for the originally thing, and then once you achieve it, they'll say, "Oh. Sorry. Forgot to tell you. It's actually...". Examples of this include but not limited to: KPIs, bonus pay outs, promotion criteria, department transfer

The "anonymous", optional employee survey. We were told to take it and encouraged to say good things. They practically watched us fill it out. You think any SDR is going to be honest? Anonymous surveys in a company don't exist.

The pay is awful for an SDR and the bonus/commission you get when the ISR/AE decides to make it an Opportunity (fair?) is a joke. Plus, most SDR departments will pay either a bonus or a commission of the final sale to the SDR. This happens at AppFolio only if you've suffered enough as an SDR and made it to White Belt, Ninja, Green Beret, or whatever dumb thing they decide to call it.

SDR jobs are a dime a dozen in the D/FW Metroplex. I guess it's because of this reality that they think they can easily put a body in a seat, so they don't change and listen to actual reviews and complaints. The executive team won't change. If you're looking for an SDR job, I highly encourage you to read all the reviews and make an educated decision. The company culture is great. I'll give you that. But as an SDR within the company under the current management and executive team...

I can't wait to read the CMO's response. I'm sure it'll be a generic thank you, we value our SDR team members, we strive to be the best, blah blah blah. I've met all the executive team over my 13+ months of employment there and they are all fake and clueless. Why didn't I leave earlier? Because I was promised several things and believed in that. Guess I saw that light.

But at the end of the day, executive team doesn't take the SDRs opinions into any consideration. Because if they did, the management, current atmosphere/mood, and turnover rate wouldn't be what it is.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings that are 100% unnecessary and a waste of time. Stop drinking the kool-aid. You're not the reason AppFolio is good. You're mid-level managers with nothing to do most of the time, so you sit and talk with each other on how to create pointless things. We notice.

Dec 12, 2016 – CMO

I will say, it's the first time I've been called 'Mrs. CMO’…..!

Many of our SDRs start with AppFolio as their first or second job. We provide tons of training on sales skills, communication... More

"MCC needs attention."

Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Contact Center Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time at AppFolio I enjoyed the culture, the kitchen (of course) and the mostly the people I worked with.

Cons

Where to start...
    I was in MCC. I worked crazy hours for a long time. I was there in the building completely alone during times when I definitely should not have been-wasn't safe, power outages, etc. I had impeccable numbers even for the odd hours. I was continuously jerked around in regards to a raise or a department transfer, just like most everyone else was. I will admit there were transfers to other departments but that was not common. You were always told why you couldn't transfer out or couldn't get a raise rather than being told how to achieve those things. So there is little growth in MCC.

I definitely should have left earlier than I did but I had hopes that I would get what I was worth at some point. That had a lot to do with there being almost no transparency with management and the demeaning manner in which they "managed" the teams. It was borderline verbal abuse in most cases.

The review from December 7th is the most accurate review I've read yet, by the way.

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't cast aside your good employees with MCC, especially the overnight employees. There absolutely needs to be more transparency. There definitely needs to be more valuable recognition because we can pay the bills with "company swag"

Jan 12, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your feedback and I’m sorry to hear that your experience didn't match your expectations. Working in our Maintenance Contact Center team is a great entry level position and can grow... More

"Designers need not apply. Great for developers."

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Great work space. Mostly great people. Lots of free food and games. Great if you're an engineer.

Cons

They won't understand design because leadership doesn't understand or respect it.

I have literally heard executives and heads of Product say design is only there to assist engineers and that it's an afterthought. Not an exaggeration.

If you're a designer prepare to be considered a 3rd class citizen.

Advice to Management

Apple is the most valuable company in the world in a large part due to design. Don't talk about "design being part of a 3-legged stool" and then act like it's not important. You will loose relevancy quickly due to your clunky and dated designs.

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bagels on Monday & Wednesday

Cons

Everyone is under paid and over worked. They try to appease and distract you with all the "perks" so that you feel you're getting more than you actually are. Company culture is not the friendly, all-encompassing, all-caring atmosphere they claim. Much more of a frat house/boys club environment than anything else. Hazing, bullying, etc. Do not waste your time here.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your company culture actually IS. Just because you want it to be one way doesn't mean that you've accomplished that.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

Hope you were able to share your experience with your manager and our HR team prior to leaving AppFolio so they could better understand your experience. Sounds like you've moved on to another... More

"Sales Development Representative"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

They have good, free snacks

Cons

I think that maybe the company itself isn't that bad to work for, but the Dallas office specifically, is. Especially as a SDR, it's a 100% cold calling job (they won't tell you what you're actually in for during the interview) but all you do is call property management companies and try to sell the software (which is not even a good product). Overall, just never work here.

Advice to Management

Don't play 1st grade games every morning to "pump up" your employees. Treat them like working adults and they might actually respect you.

Aug 16, 2017 – CMO

Our SDR program and position isn't right for everyone. The role requires high energy, discipline & focus, a positive attitude, a professional demeanor and typically an interest in growing into a... More

"From Great to good..."

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Fun company events and trips out to Santa Barbara, CA along with an entertaining and lively sales team.

Cons

Upper management is largely out of touch with what occurs "in practice" regarding how the product is actually bought and sold by property management companies. Since the departure of the two main sales leaders/managers, it's become nothing but a boiler room and morale has decreased to the point that its hard to come to work.

Advice to Management

Realize that appfolio property manager is NOT gotomeeting and that proper care and concern need to be taken with each prospect and buyer. The increasing influence of the past Citrix leadership and strategy is slowing growth and decreasing employee morale & job satisfaction.

"just OK"

Pros

great culture, awesome people...the pay isnt bad for santa barbara companies

Cons

horrible management. MICROMANAGERS. favoritism to the max

Advice to Management

relax

"Just so so"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It tries to keep every one happy by snacks and t-shirts.

Cons

Old technologies, not good for personal development. Slow growth. It took 7 years to be barly profitable. Poor health insurance, no 401k, no bonus. Workplace politics. Talented engineers are not really promoted to important postions. The managers are not good at techniques and do not really pay attention to the growth of the teams. But they are really good at keep their postions in the company.