AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Team very supportive of work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Customer Success is not appreciated enough - could boost morale with more recognition (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great opportunity to be a part of something unique."

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By and far, the best reason to work at AppFolio is the people. They only hire the cream of the crop! They are smart, conscientious, and caring.

The product is slick and cutting edge. The Engineering and Product teams have their fingers on the pulse of the property management industry and understand how to release product that really makes a difference in the lives of our clients!

The pay is very comparable to other local software companies for a Success position. And contrary to some reviews, Customer Success offers a lot of room to grow with the company both personally and professionally, but there is a natural order.

For starters, you have to put in time to master the product, which has a steep learning curve and is constantly changing and improving. This can take well over a year, so you have to be patient.

You also have to show middle and senior management you are dedicated to the company and are willing to roll up your sleeves and put your time in. The company is growing a lot and positions are always opening up. If you make it clear that you want to grow with the company they'll advance you.

Cons

It is hard to plan labor needs to meet queue needs, so you can feel overwhelmed at times. The management team is sensitive to it and they are doing everything they can do mitigate it.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent about upward mobility and how and what you are doing to keep the work flow manageable.

Feb 16, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at AppFolio. I love hearing you say that you have to put the time in to master the product and be willing to roll up your sleeves and get the work ... More

2. "Amazing Company and Opportunity"

Former Employee - Phone Representative - MCC in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Phone Representative - MCC in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

outlook, managers, team, free food, nice desks, ran very well, works like clockwork, always improving, all around great company

Cons

can't really think of any - for my department, Saturday work was very tough, but thats it.

Advice to Management

Hold some more focus groups.... other than that, keep on your trajectory

3. "Designers need not apply. Great for developers."

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture. Great work space. Mostly great people. Lots of free food and games. Great if you're an engineer.

Cons

They won't understand design because leadership doesn't understand or respect it.

I have literally heard executives and heads of Product say design is only there to assist engineers and that it's an afterthought. Not an exaggeration.

If you're a designer prepare to be considered a 3rd class citizen.

Advice to Management

Apple is the most valuable company in the world in a large part due to design. Don't talk about "design being part of a 3-legged stool" and then act like it's not important. You will loose relevancy quickly due to your clunky and dated designs.

5. "Love it"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, attitude, people, and perks

Cons

Beginning to have a corporate feel

Feb 23, 2017 – CMO

Love to hear your pros - culture, attitude, people and perks - these all really matter and I'm so glad you enjoy them. Sales is a tough but rewarding career -- thank you for helping new customers ... More

6. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at AppFolio for over two years and loved it. The team culture is work hard play hard... literally, a basketball hoop in kitchen. Everyone is like a second family. The product truly transforms companies lives.

Cons

Pricing went up, don't close as many deals with the new structure in place. We used to tell companies we can help them no matter the size, now all of that has changed.

Advice to Management

Big on career growth, but not many options. Never look at an employee as just a number, take pride in their work and never stop teaching them. Provide room for growth.

Feb 23, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you had a great experience working here - hope you find success and happiness at your next company too. Thank you for contributing to our success and for the advice as we grow.

7. "The Right Spot to work!!!"

Current Employee - Consumer Relations in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Consumer Relations in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is amazing! Anyone from Mid-management up to the CEO are COMPLETELY friendly and appreciable! Especially the CEO. He is extremely approachable and has a fantastic personality! From day one, you are family. I recommend all my friends and family to check out the career section! EVERYONE I know knows I work for AppFolio. I would say in the 22 years of my professional career, this place ranks in the top 2!!

Cons

No cons to think of at this time. It truly is an amazing place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing... Slow and steady! The culture and growth have truly been amazing.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review! I especially love that we rank in the top 2 places after 22 years of working - that gives you great perspective and makes me proud that ... More

"Great co-workers, management is not so much."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to work with some amazing people. All the free food in the kitchen is great too.

Cons

Salary is really low. Management does not give you a plan to grow your career. Seems like they pick and choose promotions arbitrarily. No review process, not even an annual review.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Show growth and career opportunities, even possible cross departmental growth.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

Our customer success team is such an important part of our business - it is a great place to launch and grow your career and we have so many nice stories of team members doing just that. If you're ... More

9. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AppFolio part-time

Pros

nice benefits, nice team and manager, overall great work environment

Cons

hard to meet new people in different teams

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for creative ways to help more team members meet each other. This year we're planning some more lunches, another give-back event ... More

"Great people, less than stellar compensation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The best part of AppFolio is its people. I absolutely love everyone on my team and the positive work environment.

Cons

Although the atmosphere is great, the compensation is lacking. There isn't any form of pay structure, review system, and it seems that raises only come with position changes.

Post-IPO life is also quite different.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial if there was more clarity around raises and expression of the value of the work I do. Making up silly "rules" like compensation changes only accompany title change is just that, silly. I over-deliver on KPIs, and have pioneered features of our product, and there has been no reciprocation on the part of AppFolio. Loyalty is a two-way street.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you love your team and the positive work environment - this is so important and is a key element to loving your job. It sounds like you feel that you've really delivered a lot of ... More

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, cool people to work with, decent job experience for future jobs, cool managers

Cons

Nearly impossible to leave the department in under 2 years, extremely heavy work load

Jan 23, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you've gained some valuable experience in your role. Customer Success is typically the first job right out of college and is the perfect way to build important skills that you will ... More