AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• AppFolio invests heavily in hiring the right people and maintaining an amazing company culture (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Salaries in Customer success are low compared to the requirements of the job and the work load (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company From Top Down!"

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are customer centric. We build great software and genuinely care about the relationships we build with our users.

Executives hold regular company meetings to keep all of us in the know about what we are doing as a company.

Many opportunities to collaborate across departments. This is great for networking, building relationship and professional skills, and gives opportunity to make an impact on a large scale.

Once you have put in the time and effort there is a ton of opportunity. We have a ton of great people. Hard work and commitment are rewarded.

I have been at AppFolio for just over 6 years. My career has grown, my salary has grown, and I have grown (my second job out of college).

I have been treated well by everyone from our CEO, to VP's, directors, and managers. I genuinely feel like I can approach anyone in the company. My opinions and those of my colleagues are valued.

The company looks for feedback from our employees, regularly, and spends a great deal of effort building on the positive and addressing any concerns.

On a personal level, Appfolio leadership has proven to me that they want to see me succeed. The support is tremendous. It speaks volumes that I have received such a great level of support at a growing and successful company.

Cons

AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it). If you work in the Dallas office the cost of living is a nonfactor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Transparency, listening and acting on employee feedback, recruiting great talent, and fostering a fun atmosphere is something unique to AppFolio. The majority of my friends who work outside of Appfolio don't report the same experience.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it is so great to hear from team members like you who have been here for years and experienced support from leadership, career growth and feel heard... More

"I Love my Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the learning and development opportunities
    mentorship
    management decision making and transparency
    great work with great people
    company meetings

Cons

food is only provided 2 days of the week
    I'd like better food for the company meetings

Advice to Management

keep being transparent, provide us with more food.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Maintenance Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking to grow your career to the next level, this is the place to start!

AppFolio truly cares for it's employees personal and professional growth and will provided you with the necessary resources to help you further your career. Your supervisors become your mentors and your co-workers become part of your family. The company truly cares about the culture and they really invest time hiring the right people for each position. Your hard work does not go unnoticed in any way, shape or form.

The company provides you with a great work/life balance, cool swag, paid time off and on-site/off-site team building events.

I have been with AppFolio for less than a year and cannot wait to further my growth with such a great company.

Cons

I wish the Dallas office was more outgoing when it comes to team building events and would be willing to get to know other team members from different departments, especially on company wide events.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and acting on employee feedback right away and continue to hire quality people to continue such a great work culture.

"Changes have affected the culture"

Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

paid time off, company events, hack days, free snacks, lunches, beer, tshirts, foosball

Cons

Engineering management changes really affected the culture. For years, it was a fun and open environment, but many got frustrated with the new management focus on speed over quality and the bigger picture, the lack of transparency, and not having real input on decisions. Seemed like there were a growing number of senior employees getting fed up and leaving the company while others feared speaking up would affect their opportunities.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the engineering leadership style, and provide more management training and guidence. Go back to the original values and culture that made it great. Do more to keep long term employees from leaving. Benefits were good, but compensation couldve been more competitive.

"Customer Success Manager"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, awesome company, friendly workers

Cons

Not enough pay for what we do, stress not worth the job, mountain of workload everyday

"Great place to be every day"

Current Employee - User Experience Desi in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Desi in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomous, great culture, company truly cares about employees, challenging work, use emerging technologies, supportive of career growth

Cons

Constantly busy (which is not always bad)

Advice to Management

Continue watching out for people and their careers. Maintain the feel of the small company culture and don't let is slip as we grow.

Aug 29, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear that you're happy working here - after 3+ years it's great to hear that you feel cared about and have the space and autonomy to do your work. We are super committed to keeping the... More

"Customer Success Manager"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Very nice people and overall welcoming environment.

Cons

Salary for what you have to put up with is not worth it. Superiors are not transparent with the overall outlook. Be aware that you will be demonstrating a software -similar to a software engineer at other companies.

Aug 29, 2017 – CMO

Being on the front lines working with customers is a great entry point from which to develop a career at AppFolio and this position is both rewarding and challenging. It is an opportunity to develop... More

8. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The great team spirit
    The base salary

Cons

Can't really say something negative about the company

Aug 29, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your review!

9. "Smart Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great leaders, and good strategy. I get to think for myself and I'm expected to be resourceful.

Cons

You have to think for yourself and you're expected to be resourceful.

Sep 8, 2017 – CMO

Yes ! You are expected to think for yourself and be resourceful :) Thanks for contributing to our company !

10. "Great place to land and to grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring work
    Technology leader
    Dogs
    Forward thinking
    Friendliest team ever

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

Sep 8, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear that you're happy working here - after 3+ years it' great to hear that you feel cared about and have the space and autonomy to do your work. We are super committed to keeping the... More