AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

AppFolio President and CEO Brian Donahoo
Brian Donahoo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 13 reviews)

• Salaries in Customer success are low compared to the requirements of the job and the work load (in 8 reviews)

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is amazing. Some of the best coworkers who will become life long friends. Everyone is caring, kind, fun to be around. The company does a great job at giving everyone SWAG, monthly events, lots of catered lunches, teams do their own outings, overall the benefits are top notch.

Cons

-The management was rough. They really do not listen to you when you talk to them. It's just about growing the numbers in order to make upper management look good.
    -There is not much room to grow as they pull outside people to management positions allowing you to not build your career.
    - My manager told us multiple times "I do not expect you to stay here. This is not a long term job with growth. This is a position for college graduates and we can find them all over." ... How is that supposed to help you when the Director does not even try to help you build a career.
    - Lots of micromanaging in some departments. Daily meetings as a group and weekly individually. Creates for a belittlement and distrusting environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they're the ones in the forefront hearing it from clients and hearing the inside gossip. They love AppFolio and if managers actually listened to the advice they give, morale, and stocks, could go up! ;)

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear you found the company culture amazing. We have so many stories of great internal growth, but each one of them has earned it. It can be frustrating to feel that you're not experiencing... More

"Great company - horrendous Sales Development department"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AppFolio is a great company to work for. They offer a superior product, are an industry leader, financially solid, a bright future, offer TREMENDOUS benefits, great office locations (Santa Barbara, San Diego, Dallas), nice/new modern open floor plans, employee friendly/modern work environment, catered lunches and their famous fully stocked kitchen/free food.

In addition, one thing I highly respected was their transparency into the company's internal finances, processes and changes. We would have monthly company meetings hosted by the CEO or VP of Sales and all the department heads would share the changes and updates. Pretty rare for a publicly traded company.

Cons

I write this with the preface that I was not a perfect employee and made some mistakes. But I was well-respected and had no HR record.

I took the SDR role under the promise in my interview that if I met all the requirements for promotion I would have an opportunity to transfer further in the Marketing department . Throughout the course of the 1 year role obligation (WAY to long to be an outbound SDR), I achieved every requirement necessary and was a top performer on the team. When I became promotable I was told there are no higher level Marketing positions in the Dallas office. So I was misled from day 1 and used for department/company production for a year. I made it clear in my interview and throughout my tenure my only intention to continue my Marketing career. To be fair, I was offered promotions to other departments. None of them were in my career path so I declined.

The SDR role is atrocious. It's a vertical market and limited prospects. The department has been calling on the same prospects for years and AppFolio created a terrible sales tactic reputation. We were consistently reassigned accounts that were called way too many times in the past. I was instructed to even call accounts/contacts again that had previous call notes that said "Never contact me again", "Do not contact" and even people who unsubscribed from Marketing emails "to see if things changed". I was yelled at by prospects, pleaded with to stop calling, cussed out and hung up on countless times for continuing to call these accounts.

Inbound leads are a joke and veil of secrecy covers them. It was obvious the SDR team at corporate was fed more leads than our satellite office. We had to fight for a "put back" system when we were assigned garbage leads. Once we got a system, it would take management a week to approve and there was no transparency if we actually were placed back on top of the round robin.

SDR management is the most extreme passive-aggressive micro-managers I’ve ever worked for. They made a brutal job even more unbearable. It is a glorified cold-calling call center. They're obsessed with KPIs (primarily outbound calls), constantly monitoring the dashboards and would Gchat you if you're not on pace or didn’t hit your KPIs for 1 day. Even if your production (meetings set & SQLs created) were at or above quota you would be hounded. Further, if you were in trouble or they needed to talk to you they would sneak up behind your desk and say this incredibly annoying saying “Got a sec?”.

In addition, management was the worsts leaders I’ve ever had. In my entire tenure I maybe saw them call a prospect 5 times. They had no respect from the team because of this. The Sales managers on the other hand led by example and were constantly on calls and demos with prospects. SDR management would always show these ridiculous motivational videos, give these corny speeches, and have the cheesiest sayings and emails. We also had WAAAAY too many meetings/huddles for an SDR team. 1 every morning and afternoon which we would usually play these 3rd grader games. We’d even have random end of day huddles if that wasn’t enough. We were treated like children. If you were 10 minutes late from lunch you got a scolding. If you were gone from your desk “too long” they would come find you.

There were LOTS of broken promises that included:
    *Monthly team outings. We had maybe 5 in my 14 months
    *Misquoted monthly bonus amounts - We requested they be written into our comp
     plan to prevent this, but was told they “may change monthly” and would be too difficult.
    *Constantly changing and unclear promotion requirements
    *We were encouraged to give department feedback, but it was used against you

The pay is atrocious for the job and bearing the manager. You start at $18/hr. Per Glassdoor, the average starting salary for an SDR in Dallas is $22/hr.

To sum it up, in my 14 months there 18 SDRs either quit (14) or got fired (4) and only 3 were promoted. Says it all!

If you want to work for a great company apply at AppFolio. Just not as an SDR unless you’re looking for a miserable, dead-end entry level cold-calling job!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing in regards to your growth strategy and taking care of your employees. If you want a successful Sales Development department fire the current management and bring in new competent, honest and strong leaders.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

An SDR role does include working toward KPIs, lots of outbound calling and working closely with management. For most of our SDR team, this is one of their first or second jobs - we invest a ton of... More

3. "Not bad.."

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Free snacks, dogs, pay isn't terrible, flex hours

Cons

Don't care much for the mission of the company, property management software is not that interesting to me. Nothing they can do about that.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

I'd encourage you to take a moment and read through the case studies about our customers (https://www.appfolio.com/case-studies) and understand the business and personal impact our software has... More

4. "Implementation Manager"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Manage diverse set of clients, fun working environment

Cons

Has unrealistic expectations on implementation goals - makes the work very stressful.

Mar 6, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for your time helping our customers get up and running on the software. We wish you the best in the future.

"Great people, less than stellar compensation"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The best part of AppFolio is its people. I absolutely love everyone on my team and the positive work environment.

Cons

Although the atmosphere is great, the compensation is lacking. There isn't any form of pay structure, review system, and it seems that raises only come with position changes.

Post-IPO life is also quite different.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial if there was more clarity around raises and expression of the value of the work I do. Making up silly "rules" like compensation changes only accompany title change is just that, silly. I over-deliver on KPIs, and have pioneered features of our product, and there has been no reciprocation on the part of AppFolio. Loyalty is a two-way street.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you love your team and the positive work environment - this is so important and is a key element to loving your job. It sounds like you feel that you've really delivered a lot of... More

"Love the people and culture but would like more compensation."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love all of the people I work with and the company culture. AppFolio is also all about their customers, which I love. Making customers happy is the best part of my job.

Cons

Compensation could by higher. I only received my first and only raise in two years in anticipation of new CA regulations. There is also no system in place for employees to review their managers. I think some managers should be evaluated more closely.

Advice to Management

We know have an employee survey, but it would be great to also add in some review system for the management.

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear that you love the people and the culture here - thank you for commenting on it! We have a really open office environment and if you're not getting what you need from your manager... More

"Ch ch changes..."

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun, forward thinking company (at least in the recent past). Beautiful CS and Sales offices. Free snacks. Love the CEO! Overall people are wonderful to work with. Did not meet a single AppFolian I did not like.

Cons

Unfortunately since going public last year changes are heavily effecting the company and the employees are enduring all the pain. Almost 50% of sales staff have turned over due to their commissions being taken away and the introduction of countless "new strategy" tactics and tedious new rules (that seem to change weekly). From what i've seen it really feels like they have no idea what they're doing. The Customer Success team is the hardest working team, yet they're the most under unappreciated department within the entire company.

Unless you work for their sales or engineering team you will not make any $$$.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach with your "company values"

Nov 15, 2016 – CMO

Glad you appreciated the culture. Change is a constant in sales and every growing company. The team here is committed to continuing to innovate and provide opportunities for individual success... More

"Great while it lasted"

Pros

The culture is amazing here, I met some of my best friends working at AppFolio. Always a good work/life balance. Great place to start working right out of college.

Cons

This was a great place to start my career, but my position was very drawn out. Was consistently a top performer and was month after month not rewarded for my efforts. Some positions are not meant to be made into long term careers, but rather a stepping stone into a new role. Top performers were constantly held back for numbers reasons. Pay is poor.

Advice to Management

When someone is a top performer on your team, keep your word and promote them in the time given. If you don't , someone else will.

Aug 2, 2016 – CMO

Sorry to hear you didn't feel rewarded for your work. Thank you for your contributions while you were part of the team and wish you the best at your next company.

9. "SDR"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and gain experience.

Cons

Start-up environment and must be very resilient to change in management styles

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

So happy to hear that you found AppFolio to be a great place to learn and gain experience - thank you for contributing to the team while you were here!

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people that work here are great. They hire young, excited people who are enthusiastic about what they do. They have a kitchen stocked with snacks, and dogs are welcome. All the 'fringe' benefits you expect from a tech company

Cons

The salary is poor, and there is no room for advancement (unless you are a software engineer, who are paid well and afforded opportunities for growth). All managers are hired from outside the company, and the majority do not come from tech, or the relevant department, so employees end up training their bosses, which creates an understandable amount of resentment. They also have no compunction with terminating employees when it is a good 'business decision', regardless of performance or fit. There are certainly some growing pains as they try to find a balance between being a good place to be all day, and making money. They have not found this balance yet.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, and offer salary increases after a few years of service.

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

I love to hear that the people who work here are great....and I completely agree! It sounds like you are frustrated in your current position and feel you've been overlooked for other career... More