AppFolio Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 12 reviews)

• Customer Success is not appreciated enough - could boost morale with more recognition (in 9 reviews)

"Much love for the Implementation Team! ❤"

Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Team in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really loved the people I worked with everyday. Made it such a friendly work environment and you enjoy going to work each day. They promote good culture, which I really liked. Workload was not overwhelming. It is tough at first, like any new job, but once you learn the basics work life balance is great.

Implementation is such a great department to join. You learn many skills that will help you with any new career choice later in life.

Cons

Implementation leadership and on-boarding need more attention and focus. Leadership has insufficient People Management experience. They make decisions that lead to disadvantageous Manager and Specialist pairings because they don't understand diverse personalities.

Advice to Management

Please train the Implementation leadership on how to manage people. I have had many jobs and have seen what good leadership can do for a team. Talk with the current employees, encourage them to speak their mind with impunity. There were times when our whole team was shocked about leadership's handling of situations with employees, current & former. No one to talk to about these incidents, though. Implementation hires great people, however, when you hire great co-workers that become our friends, it makes it worse when they're mistreated.

Harvard Business Review article that I think would be helpful, titled, "Great Teams Are About Personalities, Not Just Skills" - Posted: 01/2017

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and fun environment to work in. Appfolio is definitely an amazing place to start a career for new graduates.

Cons

I get the sense that many people at the company are very comfortable with their jobs. Now, this doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing! Personally, I would prefer to be surrounded by more aspirational people though. Middle management certainly seems to aspire for a great product, but often lack the inspiration to motivate teams.

Advice to Management

Offer incentives to learn skills outside of one's day-to-day job. Ensuring your employees do great work with their current jobs is wonderful, but training them for larger roles and/or opening learning opportunities for career switches would be phenomenal.

Apr 25, 2017 – CMO

Glad to hear this has been a great place to start your career. Thanks for the suggestion about offering additional skills training!

"Work-Life balance"

I worked at AppFolio full-time

Pros

The best aspect of working here is the company's emphasis on work-life balance and the overall work environment. Colleagues are mutually supportive, sociable, and easy going. It makes for a pleasant 8-5 experience and I would even say it feels like a family. There are several annual events and department outings throughout the year and great benefits-- lots of PTO!

Cons

The trajectory for career growth is not promising for an entry level employee. While the company offers regular trainings and holds skills-building or team-building workshops, there is little room for promotions as middle and upper management are all pretty set. It seemed like those holding entry level positions could be promoted to 'senior' level versions of their roles, however there was very little difference between the salaries of those junior vs senior employees.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at AppFolio for over two years and loved it. The team culture is work hard play hard... literally, a basketball hoop in kitchen. Everyone is like a second family. The product truly transforms companies lives.

Cons

Pricing went up, don't close as many deals with the new structure in place. We used to tell companies we can help them no matter the size, now all of that has changed.

Advice to Management

Big on career growth, but not many options. Never look at an employee as just a number, take pride in their work and never stop teaching them. Provide room for growth.

Feb 23, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you had a great experience working here - hope you find success and happiness at your next company too. Thank you for contributing to our success and for the advice as we grow.

6. "Excellent Company with a Start-Up Culture"

Former Intern - Value Added in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Intern - Value Added in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome upper management and fantastic company culture. Every employee's opinion is valued.

Cons

Repetitive work and low pay.

7. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at AppFolio part-time

Pros

nice benefits, nice team and manager, overall great work environment

Cons

hard to meet new people in different teams

Feb 13, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are always looking for creative ways to help more team members meet each other. This year we're planning some more lunches, another give-back event ... More

"Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, cool people to work with, decent job experience for future jobs, cool managers

Cons

Nearly impossible to leave the department in under 2 years, extremely heavy work load

Jan 23, 2017 – CMO

So glad to hear you've gained some valuable experience in your role. Customer Success is typically the first job right out of college and is the perfect way to build important skills that you will ... More

9. "Implementation Manager"

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, quick opportunity for growth in the first 2 years. Opportunity to make an impact if you are driven and like to go above and beyond. Standard "small company" perks (snacks, tshirts, events)

Cons

Upward mobility difficult after plateauing at the manager level. Like many small companies, salaries lower than industry standard, and work hours typically greater than 40 hours a work. Try to make up for the salary with tshirts and snacks. Retention is also low as many of the employees are college hires and move on to their next career moves.

Advice to Management

Create larger salary gaps between roles and create additional roles between titles to keep the growth and momentum going.

Jan 12, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to write a review - working with our customers as they implement our software is a really important role. Career growth doesn't just come from new job roles & titles, it ... More

"Growing pains but great company"

Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mid Market Account Executive in Dallas, TX

Pros

culture, leadership, employees, benefits, hours

Cons

pay, some growing pains with having just gone public in 2015.

Advice to Management

Stay agile to help employee success.

Dec 1, 2016 – CMO

Glad to hear you'd recommend AppFolio and thank you for contributing to our success!

11. "Excellent Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Richardson, TX

I worked at AppFolio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is second to none and the company culture is amazing. Great place to build skills and experience.

Cons

sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day was a beating and something I was not used to. Other than that no cons.

Jul 25, 2016 – CMO

So happy to hear that you found the company culture and atmosphere to be so great - the SDR role is a perfect opportunity to build sales skills.