Cover image for AppFolio

Found 857 of over 911 reviews

4.3
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

What people are saying about AppFolio

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AppFolio and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

In tune with the times

Mar 17, 2022 - Director in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

AppFolio genuinely values its people and exiting the pandemic, has made major investments in compensation and benefits & workplace flexibility to stay competitive in the talent market. That combined with AppFolio's continued growth trajectory (Fortune's Fastest Growing Companies list 2x) makes it an ideal place to start or grow a tech career.

Cons

Overreliance on Google Slides in meetings and as part of plan development

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

AppFolio trusts me

Nov 28, 2022 - Senior Events Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Appfolio gives great autonomy to its employees. I am trusted to complete my work and I'm not held to exact working hours. We have amazing benefits and are treated ridiculously well/borderline spoiled!

Cons

Honestly can't think of anything negative

3. Join the AppFolio team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Forward thinking company w/ excellent WLB!

Nov 12, 2022 - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Appfolio has been pretty forward thinking although it can move kind of slow sometimes. This is a result of the WLB balance though, since it is not in the company culture to work past 5pm. Most employees work either completely remote or hybrid now. - The company is very supportive of employees and has a ton of awesome perks, like onsite gym (in the main office in SB), amazing snacks, latte bar (in house barista) at the main office, company-sponsored workout classes, dogs in the office and hack days. Remote employees also get great benefits comparatively. - The people here are fantastic. Everyone is extremely supportive, inclusive and always open to hearing about ways to improve the company. I love our quarterly meetings, when we get to go to SB and stay at the Ritz Carlton! - If you live in Santa Barbara, the weather absolutely cannot be beat.

Cons

- Sometimes there seems to be a lack of excitement when it comes to building our products. I think this is slowly improving, as there is a big AI initiative in the works. However, I do wish that it would be at the top of mind for our products. - Pay is a low compared to competitors which is why Appfolio seems to be losing out to higher paying tech companies (especially when it comes to devs)

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company, great people.

Nov 4, 2022 - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company genuinely cares for its employees. Management is actively engaged on making everyone's work easier and rewarding. All the engineers are very smart and a great resource for feedback. The company's first requirement (after technical capability) for hiring is to be nice and easy to work with, which makes for a really good feeling not to have to deal with a prima donna or someone who's always hard to talk to. With a technical staff of a few hundred, there are quite a few areas where skills can be honed, and while it may seem that the product is not incredibly exciting, there are options to change teams and pursue a professional interest. In fact, management encourages this. The work/life balance is very good. Remote work is available, and this is not a place where you will be required to put in 70 hours a week just to keep your job. The feeling is that as long as you do what you need to do, how and when you do it is a minor concern.

Cons

Salaries are not at the top of the scale for the best companies out there, however my personal take is that it is a small compromise for all the pros you get in exchange.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great company to work for

Sep 20, 2022 - Sr Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

While flexibility can certainly depend on your department/job, I have a lot of flexibility in my position which has come in very handy as a single mom. I have a good work/life balance and feel that we have a good PTO policy. After 4 years you can get 36 days PTO per year, which does roll over (30 days under 4 years - still great!). For the last few years the company has done "Thank You Fridays" to extend 3-day weekends into 4 (4th of July, Labor Day, etc). The 401k matching is nice at 4%, health insurance is great, and there are many other perks, such as paid maternity and paternity leave. Although I choose to work remotely, I am located near an office and that office is newly renovated and beautiful! There's a fitness room, multiple rooms for nursing mothers/quiet spaces, yoga is offered virtually, lunch is catered often, and there is a pool table, ping pong table, and PlayStation 5 in the office (and yes, they are actually used). I also feel that my growth is valued here. There are a ton of training opportunities and growth options here. I have been promoted 4 times and received more pay increases than that in less than 5 years and know that I can continue to develop my career even further here.

Cons

This is not necessarily a con but it can be difficult to keep up with product updates as changes are pushed out multiple times per week. It is awesome to see the company listen to our clients and make changes as needed. The workload can be a lot, and it takes good time management to succeed.

AppFolio Response

CPO

Thanks for sharing about your positive experience as an AppFolian. From PTO and wellness perks to professional development to Thank you Fridays - all of our benefits and perks are designed to help you thrive as an employee here, and to show our appreciation for the hard work you put in each day. We take all reviews to heart, positive or constructive, so thank you for also sharing ways we can continue to improve.

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 28, 2022 - Customer Care Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing benefits and great culture

Cons

The work can be challenging.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Such an amazing place for growth.

Nov 8, 2022 - Associate Customer Service Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very quick support response Amazing office space Friendly no competitive environment Great opportunities for growth Very flexible with remote and hybrid roles Very inclusive employee base They work hard to be above industry standards on many aspects of benefit offerings.

Cons

Very steep training slope ACCR vs CCR pay-rate discrepancy even though both roles do the exact same thing and have the same responsibilities and expectations. Over-selective hiring process

9. 5.0

Amazing leadership & talented teams

Sep 15, 2022 - N|A
    Business Outlook

Pros

- leadership at every level is professionally mature, organized, and deeply values and supports their teams. - the majority of leaders at AppFolio practice servant leadership, and are committed to developing their team and removing roadblocks - great transparency around how performance is measured, compensation and market ranges, and a refreshing focus on career pathing

Cons

- pay is less competitive than at the start up or fortune 500 company level, AppFolio is a medium sized company that has had explosive growth, and even with market adjustments, with many employees based in California, the pay feels a little behind -as the company has grown rapidly, there are some growing pains around cross-functional collaboration and silos. Definitely normal at this stage, and better than many other companies of similar size/maturity, but can still create challenges for employees.

10. 5.0

Amazing Growth

Nov 23, 2022 - Business Development Representative (BDR) in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is truly amazing at AppFolio.

Cons

As a BDR, living in SB, living is hard to find, which is out of AppFolio's control.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture & big recent improvements

Sep 14, 2022 - Program Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Free Fancy coffee in office, office is very, very nice -Permanent remote is available for the vast majority of employees -Love the people I work with -Lots of opportunity for growth -Very few work weeks past 45 hours, more often than not 8-5 & work life balance is really solid -Amid the need to reduce costs amid high inflation(like every company), the company is making smart decisions to reduce costs instead of getting rid of anyone -Way ahead of inflation this year, market adjustments for many positions in the company that are clearly doing right by the employee

Cons

-Company is getting bigger, perhaps not as "fun" as it once was. That's relative however -Structural growing pains have had to be overcome in the last 1-2 years along with COVID, though the light is pretty bright at the end of the tunnel now!!

AppFolio Response

CPO

Thanks for leaving this review. I'm glad to hear that you are able to experience so many of the elements that contribute to AppFolio's unique and positive culture! It's particularly great to hear that you value our intentional strides to drive strong business growth, while investing in our employees, including the evolution of our holistic Total Rewards.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 857 Reviews
</>Embed

AppFolio Reviews FAQs

AppFolio has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 911 reviews left anonymously by employees. 86% of employees would recommend working at AppFolio to a friend and 83% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AppFolio employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AppFolio. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

86% of AppFolio employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AppFolio 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.2 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AppFolio to be senior leadership, benefits, career development and the cons to be compensation .

Popular Careers with AppFolio Job Seekers