AppFolio Reviews in Santa Barbara, CA | Glassdoor

4.5
AppFolio President and CEO Jason Randall
Jason Randall

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great management and a very welcoming culture with a true sense of work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

• AppFolio invests heavily in hiring the right people and maintaining an amazing company culture (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons to think of at this time (in 13 reviews)

• Salaries in Customer success are low compared to the requirements of the job and the work load (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company From Top Down!"

Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Implementation Services in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are customer centric. We build great software and genuinely care about the relationships we build with our users.

Executives hold regular company meetings to keep all of us in the know about what we are doing as a company.

Many opportunities to collaborate across departments. This is great for networking, building relationship and professional skills, and gives opportunity to make an impact on a large scale.

Once you have put in the time and effort there is a ton of opportunity. We have a ton of great people. Hard work and commitment are rewarded.

I have been at AppFolio for just over 6 years. My career has grown, my salary has grown, and I have grown (my second job out of college).

I have been treated well by everyone from our CEO, to VP's, directors, and managers. I genuinely feel like I can approach anyone in the company. My opinions and those of my colleagues are valued.

The company looks for feedback from our employees, regularly, and spends a great deal of effort building on the positive and addressing any concerns.

On a personal level, Appfolio leadership has proven to me that they want to see me succeed. The support is tremendous. It speaks volumes that I have received such a great level of support at a growing and successful company.

Cons

AppFolio pays fairly but Santa Barbara is an expensive city to live in (arguably worth it). If you work in the Dallas office the cost of living is a nonfactor.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Transparency, listening and acting on employee feedback, recruiting great talent, and fostering a fun atmosphere is something unique to AppFolio. The majority of my friends who work outside of Appfolio don't report the same experience.

May 9, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for sharing your experience -- it is so great to hear from team members like you who have been here for years and experienced support from leadership, career growth and feel heard... More

2. "Great place to land and to grow"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring work
    Technology leader
    Dogs
    Forward thinking
    Friendliest team ever

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

3. "Smart Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people, great leaders, and good strategy. I get to think for myself and I'm expected to be resourceful.

Cons

You have to think for yourself and you're expected to be resourceful.

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The great team spirit
    The base salary

Cons

Can't really say something negative about the company

5. "Sr. Account Executive"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture
    Aggressive Commission Plan
    Excellent Product and Reputation
    Proven Recession Proof Business

Cons

Limited work from home options

Advice to Management

Keep driving development upstream!

6. "Great place to gain professional experience in SaaS"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Sales Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The sales department has a well oiled training plan that sets you up for success. I had no experience selling and with their training was a top performer right out the gate. I always felt coached and supported.

Cons

There were a lot of changes when I left and new management that were hired from the outside and unexperienced in management. Still love the company and am happy to see they are successful.

Aug 16, 2017 – CMO

So glad you appreciated the training and coaching you received from our sales program. Thank you for contributing to our success while you were here !

7. "Great place to start or grow your career"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Goleta, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Goleta, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fellow coworkers are easy going and friendly
    - Company events
    - Senior Leadership
    - The product
    - Company Growth

This is definitely a company where hard work, dedication and a willingness to learn & help your peers pays off. Do not expect to have a promotion or a title change handed to you, it is certainly earned through showing your merit.

This is truly a great place where you can begin your career out of college or if you are switching industries. I've had the pleasure of seeing the company grow tremendously in the 3+ years that I've been here and I do not see a ceiling at all. The sky truly is the limit here.

Cons

The only con that I had (compensation & benefits) has been addressed and continues to be as we grow.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great, motivated people!

Aug 16, 2017 – CMO

This is one of my very favorite comments 'The sky truly is the limit here' - it sounds like in your 3+ years with AppFolio you've really made the most of the opportunity. This is the key to having a... More

"Great way to start in a growing company"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• I was an SDR for about 1 year and 3 months. I am writing this as honestly as possible. The company has a great outlook and the SDR program is still only a year or two old (in its current form) and management is constantly trying to adapt its practices.
    • With my previous job being very unstructured I was able to appreciate the efficiency and structure that AppFolio and the SDR program supplied. I learned a lot within just the first 3 months there than in previous jobs / positions.
    • I was not the greatest SDR (I always fell into sales roles but it isn't where I shine). I struggled quite a bit early on but I put my head down and worked hard. Support from my team and tips from management helped as well. In the end I was able to leave the role at the top of my game and move to another position within the company that fit my persona better.
    • The team there is great and I made lasting friendships with my colleagues.
    • The job is tough but it is a great way to get into AppFolio, especially so if you are looking to breakout and start your sales career or further your career in sales. This really is the top SDR program around. If I could do it then just about anyone can.
    • Since I left the role I have heard the management and SDR program is doing a much better job at being transparent and involving SDRs in more important decisions. Also, the sales team is engaging much more with the SDRs than before.

Cons

Some of my cons have silver linings. A lot of this is what I observed and just didn't think it fit in the whole heartily in the "Pros" section.

• The job is a grind (50+calls a day plus emails). Management tries very hard to break up the grind with growth and self improvement through development team meetings. Essentially learning how to think positively, have resilience, and get out of your comfort zone.
    • The position is best suited grow into a sales career. If you know that is what you want to do, then hit your goals and talk to the sales managers.
    • Moving to a different position in AppFolio besides sales can be pretty difficult. So the downside being if you are inconsistent your options could be a bit limited. I was lucky another position came along that I was able to peruse hard and get but most other positions require 1-2 years knowledge of the AppFolio software.
    • The SDR formula works but it isn't for everyone. Follow what management and the senior team teaches you. STC is an amazing tool but you need to find your way (be a person not a robot) while still utilizing the training you get. It can be hard to explain that to management at times but if you are showing results then you will be left alone.
    • This may be a stretch but I would say too many meetings. I came from a job that had a lot of meetings but this has even more. I get that meetings were used to break up the day and improve us as callers but there were a lot of times I just wanted to be on the phone hitting goals and not in another meeting. Just added to my stress but maybe that is just me.

Advice to Management

• Keep looking for ways to improve the program, be transparent with the team, and be realistic with the goals.
    • Identify the talent and type of caller someone is and try to pair them with a mentor of a similar style so new hires can ramp faster.
    • Make sure the team knows you are available and approachable for help but don't heavily mico-manage as it puts added pressure on an already pressure filled role. That being said, management is great and they are sales experts. Use them for help and try their advice!

Aug 1, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for writing such a thorough and thoughtful review of your experience in our SDR program. I love that your cons have silver linings - almost all aspects of any position that has an impact... More

"If AppFolio was a fast food restaurant, I'd Super-Size every time!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at AppFolio for 4 years in virtually every position in the sales organization including Sales Development Representative, Inside Sales, Sales Ops, and Account Executive. Below are my thoughts:

First, the leadership at AppFolio is second to none. They have worked hard to create a culture of tribal knowledge and support that persists even after significant growth. You can genuinely walk up to anyone on the Sales floor to ask for help and they will put down whatever they are working on to make time for you. It's a privilege to work for a company where "winning" means that you win together, and your manager is looking out for your professional AND personal success. No where else will you find so many tools readily available including great sales training, 1 on 1 mentorship, extensive industry exposure, and a group of people at all levels who all want you to be successful.

Second, it's awesome to do sales at a company where we genuinely have the BEST product for our customers. This means one can be absolutely confident when talking to prospects, and every department works together to proliferate an organization centered on great software that truly changes the lives of our customers. The best part? AppFolio is continuing to surge farther and farther ahead of the competition.

Lastly, career growth at AppFolio is extensive and thoughtful. This means that the most senior people don't always get the first promotions. Instead, management develops each person based on his or her personal strengths and career goals while also following what will be best for the company. Career options are abundant with clear guidelines on what is expected of an employee to get a promotion or make a transition between departments.

Overall, AppFolio is an excellent choice for the individual who is interested in starting his/her sales career or already has 10 years of experience and is looking for a company to call home.

Cons

Don't expect to work at AppFolio and be immediately successful just because you did great at your previous sales job. It is important to work hard and put in your time to learn the product and the industry.

The company doesn't pay as generously as similar positions, but the culture and organization more than makes up for it.

Advice to Management

As we grow, keep lines of communication with leadership and with different departments clear and accessible. Consider cool and unique benefits now that we have the employee numbers to support it. Perks like in-office childcare or paid for gym memberships could be a win-win for employer and employee.

Aug 1, 2017 – CMO

Best headline yet....although Super sizing a meal might not always be your best choice for long term health :) 4 years in every position on our sales team gives you such valuable perspective and I'm... More

10. "Sr. Account Executive"

I have been working at AppFolio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AppFolio has an amazing culture with a collaborative team across the board. From the top down there's great support to ensure you're successful as an employee. I've never worked for a company that is so aligned on goals - and one that works hard to ensure we realign with any changes. There's a nice balance of fun and hard work and it's great to be a part of a team that focuses on both equally.

Other pros:
    - benefits are great
    - we give back to the community and AppFolio provides employees with volunteer opportunities often
    - discounts on fitness clubs
    - free fitness classes every day on-site
    - they truly care about you as an employee and listen to your feedback on ways to improve

Cons

Would love more ongoing career development opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Continue to invest in the right employees and focus on providing opportunities to grow their career - whether in the same department or other departments.

Aug 1, 2017 – CMO

Being aligned on goals is one of our top priorities - thank you for appreciating it! It is great to hear that you are looking for more ongoing career development opportunities with us. My advice is... More