AppNexus Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppNexus Founder and CEO Brian OKelley
Brian OKelley

Pros
Cons
  • Middle management could use some attention, but where couldn't it (in 14 reviews)

• Growing pains as the company has doubled in size over two years (500 to 1000 EEs); all very normal in my opinion (in 13 reviews)

1. "exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, interesting problems to tackle, focused on diversity & inclusion, feels like a family.

Cons

Things move and change really fast sometimes.

2. "Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are for the most part amazing, intelligent, and have strong urge to help each other. I enjoy coming to work every day and feel that this is a place to make my career.

Cons

Change is constant and can be difficult to keep up with. Sometimes promotions seem to be a bit random and not entirely merit based.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to let us know if we're in a rough patch. Separately, making salary ranges for a given position public would ensure a more equitable environment.

"UX Team contributes to make the company one-step closer to a design-driven organization!"

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working in the UX team for almost 2 years. The team is very dynamic, autonomous, and self-driven. I really enjoy the culture of the team as a whole. We constantly encourage each other to learn new techniques, skills, tools, and current events through Slack, meetings, and workshops. I actually gained so much knowledge via these meetings - definitely motivating and inspiring. Unlike other UX teams at B2B enterprise companies, our UX team focuses on going beyond usability and look and feel, which I truly appreciate. For example, we are working on our product personality project to enhance emotional aspects of our experience. Fun fun! We have an awesome Director of UX who has a defined vision, runs by ideas, and respects our creativity and autonomy. She encourages us to try new things; failing is OK as long as you fail fast and learn from it. While the UX team is under the engineering department, the UX process is deeply embedded into the product development cycle. UX designers and researchers get to work with the product managers, engineers, and other stakeholders on very early stages. I appreciate that the designers have the complete ownership of what we are designing. The product teams, including the executives, rely on innovations from the UX team, which makes me feel great about what I do. Not to mention, I think this UX team is probably the most data-driven among all other teams from different companies I have worked at, including a large technology company. Designers collaborate heavily with researchers to gain insights from the users. We pair-design and run sketch sessions with other designers, researchers, product managers, engineers, and technical writers. Account managers and implementation consultants are also very helpful when it comes to recruiting particular clients for user research and sharing insights from the user training sessions, respectively.

If you are looking for interesting problems to solve, design challenges that are intrinsically rewarding, and teammates who are inspiring and smart, this is the team you want to be part of!

Cons

It could be difficult to fully understand the industry and how the system works as a whole because Console, the platform we design, is very robust and powerful, yet broad and complex. This really made me feel insecure in the beginning when I first joined the team. Nonetheless, AppNexus University helped a great deal to get me on board when I first joined the company. There are so many different user types, and you need to design and research the products that satisfy all of their needs and desires. If you enjoy solving interesting problems and translating ambiguity into design concepts, you will definitely enjoy what you do here. I also like that People team provides a number of workshops for anyone to take advantage of regarding leadership, conflict management, running an effective meeting, and so on. I especially found the conflict management class super interesting.

Advice to Management

Design & Research is crucial for product success. We can try a bit harder to make the company more design-driven!!

5. "Human Resources"

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at a place like AppNexus where there is an emphasis on professional development and personal growth. I've been given a tremendous opportunity on my team in both my day to day role plus cross functional projects. Highly recommend joining the teams here. Great perks and dedication to core values.

Cons

Management can feel top heavy

"Challenging Environment, Hard Working People."

Former Employee - Principal Snarkitech in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Snarkitech in New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People are hard-working, and making due.
    - Reasonable pay rates.
    - Very "free" working environment.
    - GREAT benefits.

Cons

- Strategic investments are often too little, too late.
    - Many failed/scuttled projects.
    - Executive management seems difficult to access.
    - Very "top heavy", little upward mobility.
    - Seemingly high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

- Re-orgs aren't going to fix a systemic, inherent problem in the way you manage teams and products.
    - Merging bonuses into salaries was a disincentive for high performers.
    - Stock options are yesterdays compensation enhancer.

7. "Good place to work"

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people- my team/peers are incredible and keep me coming back to work every day
    - Challenging work
    - Good benefits and work/life balance
    - Fun culture/environment

Cons

- Caliber of managers greatly varies from team to team
    - Frequently-shifting priorities

Advice to Management

We do a lot of employee surveys - let's encourage managers to take more responsibility for the results and put real action around them.

8. "Decent place to work 3-4 years ago. Not much so now."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at AppNexus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Flexible hours
    - Smart and fun coworkers (most of them have already left though)
    - If you have a good manager, the opportunity to grow is limitless. I was fortunate enough to have had 1 maybe 2.
    - Decent raise for top performers

Cons

- Its engineering hiring bar drops significantly over the years, possibly due to high growth requirement.
    - Engineers from acquisition don't seem to be at the same level as the ones from AppNexus directly.
    - Lots of time and personnel wasted on "discovery projects" that clearly produce no value for customers.
    - Lack of vision from senior management. Sub par engineering "leaders"

Advice to Management

Stop blaming frequent re-org on the complexity of the ad tech industry. have a long term vision. Vet the quality of engineers from acquisition.

"HR perspective"

I worked at AppNexus full-time

Pros

Such a strong will to unite the HR team. With that said, it will never happen with current HR leadership, especially when you hire/promote friends.

Cons

Management not holding management accountable.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at those surveys and put some action to it.

"Great people and environment-- really pushes you to constantly learn and you have the support of colleagues to do so"

Current Employee - Associate Product Support Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Product Support Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great colleagues and managers! The best I've ever had
    -Incredible range of snacks, cold brew on tap, free events
    -6 week training program to ramp up technical skills in APIs & Databases, SQL, Optimization algorithms, and buy and sell side products
    -401k matching
    -Fosters Learn and Teach environment. Colleagues are so willing to help you if you don't know something
    -Awesome culture
    -Flexibility in working from home if you're sick or have a conflict during the day

AppNexus is an awesome place to work with intellectual and diverse people. My direct managers have been wonderful human beings.

Cons

-Higher management is not in touch with day-to-day functions of Product Specialists, especially across all of Customer Success
    -Product Specialists must cover on holidays and do not get any overtime compensation. This means working full time on a holiday like Independence day or Thanksgiving, while your loved ones enjoy it without you. Previously there was financial compensation, but now there is only a chance for a day off, meaning the rest of the team that day is disadvantaged with extra work! Plus, the day off is on some random day, and you miss out on the holiday spent with your family. This is not a good system and has constantly caused dissatisfaction among more seasoned and newer product specialists.
    -Emergency phone coverage (which is 24/7 on the weekends for NYC employees) turns this job more into a customer service role than a product support role, which was not initially advertised in the interview.
    -Product Specialists are expected to know every part of a constantly evolving product with increasingly less documentation over time
    -Internal teams will turn to Product Specialists to solve their issues, despite a full client case load
    -Non-standard global trainings means differences in how new products are learned

Most of my cons are with the Product Specialist role, also maybe called "Associate Technical Client Manager." While it is a great role to ramp up technical skills, it isn't fairly advocated for now that many former managers who previously supported the team are now gone post re-org.

Advice to Management

Give Product Specialists more credit! They aren't just associates of the Technical Client Manager role.

"great people, tough industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- company culture: one that promotes a learn and teach environment
    - smart people
    - promotes diversity
    - friendly environment
    - quarterly team outings, ability to work remotely, abundance of snacks, free lunch fridays

Cons

- constant company changes, which is likely in part due to the industry itself - ad tech
    - not the place if you're looking for employment beyond 2-3 years
    - not enough transparency