AppStar Financial Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Sales Consultant

3.4
Mark S. Leibowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The managers for the outside sales reps are very helpful and will go to great lengths to assist you in closing deals (in 5 reviews)

• A fantastic Sales department with a lot of great personalities and wonderfully driven outside sales reps whose motivation can be inspirational (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • not for entry level sales people or novice (in 3 reviews)

• I could have signed up more merchants but eventually sabotaged my own deals because I knew I wasn't getting (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good"

Current Contractor - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppStar Financial as a contractor

Pros

Good to start sale career here

Cons

Really encouraging and positive leadership . really good to work

"Sales person, been with Appstar going on a year, having fun, making money and making friends. Love my job."

Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at AppStar Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get to have freedom to roam, do your own prospecting, not a bad work environment. If you are good, persistent and have a positive attitude you will do well.

Cons

Need to have either a second source of income or a savings account because you can have some slow weeks, need to learn to work smart rather then hard

Advice to Management

Spiffs for gas would be appreciated

"Truly honest and reliable company"

Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Winchester, VA
    Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Winchester, VA

I have been working at AppStar Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly recommend this company! They are truly honest and reputable, both as a merchant processor as well as an employer. Management is always there for support and they care about you as an employee! I feel respected, appreciated, and needed! I loved working for AppStar. Most of all, I highly recommend AppStar as an employer!

Cons

The training could be a bit more involved and detailed.

Advice to Management

Step up the training and the sales team will preform even better!

"Outside Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The pre-set appointments are awesome! You can make lots of money if you're a closer. Barbara was helpful and professional to get me started.

Cons

There should be more of a gas allowance.

5. "Sales consultant"

Former Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales)
    Former Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales)

Pros

Not much if money is important. Enjoyed working with assigned manager.

Cons

Initially told any extra fees I collected were mine. Told minimum of $100per sale. WRONG!!! Last sell was for one terminal. Grossed $35.00. Expected minimum of $150.00 after splitting extra fees I had collected. Bad internet comments lost a few prospects who had agreed to services before doing background search on AppStar.

Advice to Management

To keep an "A" rating on BBB only requires a response and a solution. That does not mean the company gives A rated performances.

"Outside Sales Rep"

Former Freelancer - Client Consultant (Outside Sales)
    Former Freelancer - Client Consultant (Outside Sales)

I worked at AppStar Financial (Less than a year)

Pros

Good HR Recruiting team, induction to all new associates
    Friendly Supportive Underwriters(Onsite Managers) for closing deals

Cons

Manual Process
     No Gas Allowance,
     No Phone Allowance (All on yours and it eats up a lot for this job),
     Fax/Scan expenses on yours
     Onsite Underwriters(Managers) don't care about your commission to win deals despite deal happens with your help
     No Commission paid at all after all the time,effort, service if your customer is good negotiator with your underwriter & they agree for it

Advice to Management

Automate the Sales & Contract process, Pay Gas & Phone allowance, Pay Min Commission for Closed & Trained Contracts rather $0

"AppStar is a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Dallas, TX

Pros

This industry is changing and growing. AppStar's POS Systems and websites are so much better than the couple of competitors who also sell this. I made much more than I expected, my 2nd year income would have been $70,000. The management taught me all about selling B2B.

Cons

My 1st month was really hard. They send the brand new sales people on ok appointments. The good ones are given to people only after they prove themselves.

Advice to Management

Consider offering a small salary or a starting bonus.

8. "4 1/2 years with Appstar and it's been a good solid company!"

Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AppStar Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of flexibility, great support and opportunity to make a lot of money but you have to be willing to work for it. What you put in you get out! Work closely with management in the beginning but after you show you can do the job you have a ton of freedom.

Cons

Lot's of rejection and have to be thick skinned. Competitive industry with too many other bad companies that make the business owners leery of all companies.

Advice to Management

I would consider more advertising to drive more customers to reach out to the company!

"Not Worth the Possibilities"

Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppStar Financial full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was easy to get hired.
    Set your own hours, days work and a lot of freedom.
    Appointments are set up for you, not real, appointments but no cold selling on your part.
    Commissions are very good.

Cons

I have a selling background and so got a call to interview for this job. The interview was basically a promotion for Appstar and it ended with me calling them back in a couple days to see if I got the job. Well I got the job and since I was leaving has some vacation time I took a week off to try this out.
    The first problem is that Appstar is very proud that they give you apartments but this is the just of the sample call they use in TRAINING to show how wonderful they are.
    Appstar: We want to see your our product.
    Business owner: No.
    Appstar: Come on, it will be fun.
    Business owner: I'm good.
    Appstar: We are not going to get off the phone until you say yes.
    Business owner: I'm busy, you don't know what no is, what can I say to get off this phone call.
    Appstar: Agree to at least pretend to an appointment.
    Business owner: FINE.
    This is the call Appstar is very proud of.

This also a company that has no concept in Google maps, they send you all over the place, Once you get there, odds are very good that the business owner will either be (A) not there (B) not interested but the telamarker wanted his 100 bucks and created the appointment or (C) they just wanted to end that call. Your couch will either makes excuses "All that person is being difficult!" or force you to sell something you can't actually sell. You are basically there to get some personal information, use their fax machine and send off personal finical information to your couch who makes the offer.

This is not a get rich quick job, you need to drive and sell and know your information. It is also plainly commissioned based, you don't make the sell, you don't get paid. Some people are good with that drive, you will find out quickly.

Advice to Management

You are so proud of your wonderful appointments, make real appointments! "No, I am not interested," DOES NOT MEAN "Sure! send someone over so I can tell them 'No I am not interested' in person! I suggest at least giving your sells person. I think something as simple as giving your sales people $20 just getting there would help.

Give the sales person more power. People do not like sending any kind of information to a person they don't know! It can be as simple as a Business makes $1000/month, offer them a 2% rate. By making the sales person having to check with their manager for everything makes them look like a puppet.

"I have been with the company for a little more than two years."

Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Douglasville, GA
    Current Employee - Client Consultant (Outside Sales) in Douglasville, GA

I have been working at AppStar Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours, set appointments and great communications with the corporate office.

Cons

Sometimes appointments are set at times not good for traveling great distances.

Advice to Management

I feel that the company is considerate of time off policies and I personally have no issues with management.