Appalachian Mountain Club Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John D. Judge

1. "Best Summer Job Ever"

Former Employee - Croo Member in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Croo Member in Meredith, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Got to spend my summers on a beautiful lake with some amazing people

Cons

Wasn't given enough responsibility

Advice to Management

Less micro-managing, more responsibilities and independence

2. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code, fantastic people, great mission, beautiful destinations

Cons

Low pay, little room for advancement

Advice to Management

Stop trying to squeeze blood out of a stone and give your employees the space and time they need to do their jobs well, instead of piling on ever more work without additional compensation.

3. "Construction Crew"

Former Employee - Construction Crew in Intervale, NH
    Former Employee - Construction Crew in Intervale, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work in some of the most scenic areas of the white mountains. Met some really fun and interesting people and developed my carpentry skills. One of my favorite jobs I've ever had.

Cons

Pay is on the low side, but keep in mind that the AMC is a nonprofit. Opportunities for upward movement do not present themselves very often.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to pay workers more (if possible), it may help retain employees.

5. "Still Love It Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues who are smart and talented and driven. Lots of amazing initiatives to improve what we're doing, inside and out. Benefits reflect the culture and values. Emphasis - in office culture and in our work - on families and enjoying the outdoors. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (centrally located, homey feel). Though not everyone has felt this way, I feel I have both responsibility and agency in my role - this has not always been the case in previous positions.

Cons

Busy times get really busy with a small staff. Be prepared to wear many hats, share space and tough it through leaner times. This seems to be the case for many nonprofits, but it's worth mentioning. Quirky old office on Beacon Hill (it's three brownstones joined by a web of stairs - there are downsides). We're never outdoors as much as we'd like to be. It can be hard to affect change.

Advice to Management

More professional development opportunities like the ones offered recently. Keep listening when we say we can't do more with less - sometimes we're already at rock-bottom in more than one way.

"Some of the best and most hard-working people I've ever worked with!"

Former Employee - Backcountry Caretaker in Gorham, NH
    Former Employee - Backcountry Caretaker in Gorham, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are truly passionate about the outdoors, it was a pleasure to work with the AMC for two seasons. The location was A+, my office was in the woods, my commute was on a trail, my co-workers were friends. They put a lot of effort into training their employees, and really invest in them for the long-run.

Cons

The hourly wage wasn't great, but living costs were extremely low and the job was rewarding.

"Ups and Downs"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The AMC has an amazingly diverse array of work areas. Volunteer management, outdoor trips, hospitality, conservation, trail work, development, working with kids and urban youth - it's an incredibly multi-faceted organization. The staff are really dedicated to the mission and the work. Depending on your job, most managers are good at being flexible with work schedule and adapting your work location, schedule, and responsibilities more than is typical at other work places. There are a lot of growth opportunities for staff who start at the bottom or middle in the organization.

Cons

Depending on work location and manager, morale can be very low. Starting pay seems egregiously low for the non-profit industry, and often it seems that the most talented young staff leave the organization after a pretty short tenure. The upper level management is well-intentioned but can be tone-deaf and very insulated from the concerns and experiences of the less-experienced and lower-ranked staff. If you report to a middle manager, your work experience can be hit or miss -- some middle managers are great, but there are a lot of middle managers who are just weak at managing people. And it doesn't seem like the organization is concerned about this or doing much to address it.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job of pushing the organization along in accomplishing the goals of our ambitious Vision 2020 plan. But there seems to be dangerously little attention paid to the work environment and culture for staff. I would compare the AMC to a high school in which teachers and administrators are incredibly focused on (and successful at) getting their students to score well on state exams and get accepted at college, but those same teachers and administrators aren't paying attention to the fact that students are stressed, not sleeping, and aren't developing a strong moral code and personal identity. How we accomplish our aims is just as important as what aims we accomplish. Management would do well to invest time, money and care into the development of a positive staff culture.

8. "A passionate group with a great mission"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every single employee at the Appalachian Mountain Club actually knows, understands, and works passionately towards our mission of outdoor recreation, conservation, and education. It affords you the opportunity to wear many hats, have your ideas be recognized, and work on projects with tangible results. Everyone is approachable, including the entire executive team. I have cross-country skied and hiked with our president, and it feels just like spending time with your average coworker. No pomp or circumstance surrounds the leadership. Amazing benefits and great work/life balance.

Just make sure you are passionate about the outdoors and the mission because you are not going to be happy if you take this job for the pay. There's also not a lot of room for advancement unless somebody leaves.

Cons

Below average pay. It's a constant uphill battle working for a non-profit on a mission that becomes harder every day.

Advice to Management

Budget is tight, but don't implement archaic systems that are more trouble than they're worth. The median membership age is growing steadily, so we absolutely need to try some new, fresh tactics of attracting a younger, less affluent crowd.

9. "To this day, one of the best workplaces I have ever heard of"

Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster in Twin Mountain, NH
    Former Employee - Caretaker/Hutmaster in Twin Mountain, NH

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work - life balance. Absolutely delightful, passionate, fun-loving, hard-working people. Fantastic opportunity to meet a huge variety of people from tourists to politicians. A fantastic mission of education, conservation, and recreation.

Cons

You will not get money-rich, but you will get life-rich. It's really hard to think of a con. I suppose if you are looking for a desk job then this is certainly not for you. I've gone on hikes and participated in a wide variety of adventures with every level of management in this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and never forget that you are there to conserve the beauty and help others experience it.

10. "Great people to work with, great location to pursue outdoor interrests"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gorham, NH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gorham, NH

Pros

location, location...great prodeals, love the outdoors, good benefits

Cons

wages are low, no career ladder, dont seem to value there workers

Advice to Management

appreciate the people that work there

11. "Passionate organization committed to the great outdoors"

I worked at Appalachian Mountain Club full-time

Pros

Organization committed to recreation and conservation at it's core. Incredible model for a non-profit, self funding through a business arm, putting it's hospitality revenues back into outdoor engagement programs.

Cons

Broken into regional offices, somewhat frequent turnover.