Appalachian Underwriters Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 20, 2019

2.3
Bob Arowood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are virtually no pros to working here" (in 6 reviews)

• "Monday - Friday normal business hours" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "They are a very diverse, liberal company and support equal opportunity" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company To Work For!"

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, forward thinking company with strong future. If you are interested in insurance, this is the place to be.

Cons

Pay attention, very busy organization

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction!

"Biggest waste of time"

Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simple, monday-friday, office job

Cons

Was repeatedly promised advancement opportunities and was disappointed and blocked every step of the way for years. Sexism rings true with this company. Men were always elected to move up in the company, despite the knowledge and hard work of more qualified individuals. Eventually gave up on any career chances with this company.

Advice to Management

Get organized. Your attendance policy is a joke.

"Operations"

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

There are virtually no pros to working here. I would not recommend working for this company.

Cons

Negative and stressful environment, vertical hierarchy with no sense of camaraderie, culture is nonexistent, onboarding is lacking, no feeling of fulfillment. Subpar benefits and old facilities.

Advice to Management

You need to change the culture immediately if you want to survive in today’s marketplace. Make your environment a positive space where people want to work. Make your employees feel like they’re more than just a cog in a machine. Provide more competitive benefits. Update your values and systems. Your current way of doing business is outdated.

4. "Underwriter Assistant"

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

Co-Workers and good office hours

Cons

They don't match 401k, poor pay, not a lot of opportunists for growth.

"Do not let them fool you"

Former Employee - Underwriter, Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Underwriter, Supervisor in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great hourly workers. Much better for men

Cons

I spent over 5 years with this company and worked very hard with no reward. This is a very sexist company and I have no idea how they have made it out of the Me Too Movement. I worked long hours with no thank you and was only told I never did enough. Men will always be favored over women and that is part of the culture. The work atmosphere is toxic throughout most of the company. They say they are working on it but I never saw it. I left on my own and do not miss it. There are much better places to work because they trap you by paying you decent at first and never getting a raise. The upper management is terrible and very unorganized. They do not listen to their employees, unless you are a man and they might pretend to listen.

Advice to Management

watch yourself! You have good people working for you and should appreciate them. Train your employees. Treat women equally. If one women came forward against you, I know several who would join a class action sexual harassment lawsuit. Watch your egos

"Backwards Company"

Current Employee - Oak Ridge Personal Lines in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Oak Ridge Personal Lines in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A pay check every 2 weeks

Cons

A mom and pop business that doesn't care about employees. They do the bare minimum. No 401k match and 5 PTO days a year that includes sick days! Most companies give a few weeks PTO! The Owners are not friendly and want nothing to do with the employees that produce business. Just crazy, never have experienced anything like it!

Advice to Management

Time for a change! Care about your employees! Invest in your employees, how about a 6 % 401k match?? How about sick days and not just 5 days of PTO a year?! And, cease with the stupid emails about food at your desk. We are adults. Maybe research how to run a good company with happy employees! Everyone is miserable here.

"Would give it to 0 Stars if I could"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot of Pros. Close to home paycheck for as long as they let you work there

Cons

Benefits will take half of your paycheck, 5 days PTO for the first two years, owners don't treat you like a person they treat you like a number, diversity is a joke, don't ever expect a pay raise will fire you for the slightest reason but keep employees on that fall asleep at their desk, departments are consistently understaffed but expect you to do the work of 10 the list goes on. If you're thinking about working here you better have no other option. McDonald's is better

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees the way they deserve. They are the ones who keep your company running not you. Give them pay raises give them a yearly bonus. give them respect

"Sad place to work."

Former Employee - Processing in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Processing in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some very good hourly workers.

Cons

Management is terrible, Owners have no appreciation of employees at all. Lack of training, does not value employees, doesn't give raises.

Advice to Management

Sale this business to someone that would value the employees and treat them fairly

"The employees are very friendly and hard-working team-oriented people. The owners? Not so much."

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the 8am-5pm Monday-Friday work schedule, and most holidays are paid days off. I also enjoyed working with all the employees.

Cons

There is a toxicity in the atmosphere from upper management, particularly from most of the owners. One of the brothers (Bob) is usually kind, while the other one can at times seem completely unhinged. The elder owners barely even see the employees as actual people. Hiring diversity is also embarrassing, and they hardly ever give anyone raises even after years of employment.

There is another review here falsely stating the following: "One of the owners is homosexual and a senior executive is transgender and they support all races, religions and backgrounds. They are a very diverse, liberal company and support equal opportunity."

That is an absolute LIE. Do not believe this for a second.

Advice to Management

Remove the antiquated toxicity, treat the employees as valued team-members instead of just faceless pawns, and employ an all-inclusive diversity hiring routine. It will take a lot of work, but I believe the public image of the company can still be saved.

"Horrible company to work for"

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

There is really nothing good about this company.

Cons

High benefits, low pay, terrible management