Appalachian Underwriters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Bob Arowood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • A good schedule, Monday - Friday, 8-5 or 9-6 (in 5 reviews)

• Absolutely no pros to working at AUI (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Ceo, no training, no development, no advancement, expensive benefits (in 5 reviews)

• It is fast paced, do not expect alot of downtime (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company To Work For!"

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, forward thinking company with strong future. If you are interested in insurance, this is the place to be.

Cons

Pay attention, very busy organization

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the right direction!

2. "Look elsewhere - Not a Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours Monday - Friday 8-5 , they allow 2 - 15 minute breaks

Cons

management - no growth- unfair work conditions

Advice to Management

hire better management for the comm department - treat everyone fairly no favoritism provide raises

3. "This is five words - yes."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity, if you can, to turn a bad situation around. Great opportunity for someone to buyout, invest money.

Cons

Systems are slow, technology is old, computers are old, benefits are outdated, lacking, and expensive. Options are limited due to location. Very difficult to do a job. Any job.

Advice to Management

Get out

4. "Stay away!"

Former Employee - Underwriting in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Underwriting in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely not one thing....in one of the reviews below the writer hit the nail on the head, ANY positive reviews are from employees told by management to put positives to help the score. There is not a zero star option or I would give it like others have said.

Cons

Hiring and promoting...the talent pool is terrible and the terrible employees get ahead.

Ill go one division at a time.

Marketing does not seem to work. I wanted to be in marketing. They do nothing. Have terrible ideas that for whatever reason management goes with. Then we waste money other underwriters feel could be more money to incentivize the underwriting team. Nobody in the company knows how most of them keep their jobs. So if you are terrible at marketing and have bad ideas that never generate business, apply for marketing. Seriously, any real company would have cleared house by now. ..and whatever happened to the one good sales/marketing person? He leaves and it actually is worse.

Workers Compensation- there is no underwriting here. It is paper pushing and no one is taught to think outside the box and make deals happen and it is apparent carriers hate us given they will write the same business for another competitor they declined for us. There is no leadership in this division. They fired the manager and he was pretty cool boss. Just couldnt overcome the politics of the less talented people that are "in" with the family.

Personal Lines- this is actually not a bad department. Everyone there seems fairly happy. Manager seems arrogant like he is Gods gift but everyone knows if he was truly that great as he thinks he is he would not be at AUI.

Commercial Specialty- not bad either and love their manager. If ahe could run work comp, then it would make a difference. Only problem in that division is the snippy little childish politics....but that engulfs this place to the point where no real business allows this much backstabbing.

Brokerage- cool division it seems also. Only con is they are all not in Oak Ridge which is probably why they all seem normal and not insane.

There are plenty of other UNDERPAID and overworked areas of this company but I do not want to go any longer.

Too much nepotism. Too much good old boy. That is why this company is in the crapper.

Advice to Management

Stop putting people in positions just because you like them. Start over with marketing. The whole division sucks and has since the only good rep left. Get rid of the tyrants in workers compensation. They are why the good underwriters are at Atlas. Just act like a business and quit the nepotism thing. Your best people keep leaving and it leaves the rest of us in a compromised position. Its like every peice of advise to the President is somebodies selfish agenda to get ahead and the peons all suffer becuase none of management is actually qualified to MANAGE. Its like very smart at insurance, very smart at carriers, but absolutely no ability to manage and run a company. Its almost like the business part is wing it as the wind blows.

If you cant do any better, do the community a favor ans sell before we have a 10 story abandoned building in Oak Ridge for us Oak Ridgers to be proud of everyday.

5. "Application Developer"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Columbia, SC

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Really. Can't think of a positive about my time here.

Cons

Terrible environment. No process. Terrible management. Lies about compensation.

Advice to Management

None. If a person is management here there is a reason.

6. "This place is a career killer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None unless you have nowhere else to get a job. If you are a reject everywhere else or majored in Philosophy or Art in college, work here.

Greatest Pro is one day....a little over a year ago that one day was the day I quit.

Pro- Google the w following....Working Here is Like Working In North Korea and read the blog. I worked there 2 months and someone showed me this. Wish I'd seen it before getting hired.

Cons

Family business where it is way too big for the family to handle. Multiple lawsuits and still paying on massive $30 some million dollar loss. Systems always failing and IT is never able to get to anything because so backed up. Pay is atrocious. The office politics is out of control. They promote the weakest links because it makes management (family) feel they have control of ideas. Plus the management they "selected" stay protected from being exposed as individuals no other company would ever hire. One or two may get hired but would fail miserably. Enormous upper management turnover the last few years.( that is a telling sign). Everything is seat of pants reactions. Never stick to plans. Benefits are horrible and they use lightening up a dress code to offset giving better benefits because that does not cost them anything. Looks like they had a meeting in April to once again ask employees to try to bring the Glassdoor score up. Anyone notice any rating worth a flip all came in April. They beg employees to give them any decent ratings because it is such a bad environment.

This is a business I would not be surprised to see on the front page is a newspaper in 6 months locally that is bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Sell the company. You are the picture of the family business that is a success story but then the ego and pride get in the way to know when it is too big and needs more. No shame in selling. But shame is driving a business in the grown and losing jobs for a community and people who need the jobs more than you will ever need the money.

7. "Nice professional environment"

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

I have been working for Appalachian Underwriters for two years. Solid company with many opportunities to grow and advance. Great work environment.

Cons

Not a lot of cons, good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job!

8. "Growth Potential and a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always room for growth. I am always growing in my knowlege of the industry.
    Promotion within the company is encouraged.

Cons

It is fast paced, do not expect alot of downtime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job of growing the company, it benefits us all...

9. "GREAT Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at AUI allows you to have great work relationships that build TRUST, which is hard to find these days. YES, the pace is demanding and constantly shifting, but you have to be ready to work and meet the challenge it presents on a daily basis. Management is very warm and personable. They are open about the state of the company at any time. They understand life happens and accommodate your needs. Compensation is fair and market value if you PROVE your worth - it's not given. I love working here because the work always changes, and makes you want to exceed expectation and push yourself to help the company (and yourself) succeed. If you come here to work and earn your way, YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE.

Cons

I wish I was hired sooner! :)

Advice to Management

Previously, we were give the numbers as to the company status, and for some reason those ended. It is good to see, across the board, the company's health or problem areas that need growth.

10. "Great place to grow"

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to grown.
    Strong focus on upward and downward communications.
    Promotes from within.

Cons

Change happens quickly and many employees are not able to adapt without a lot of effort. The insurance industry is always changing.

Advice to Management

Continue positive feedback to employees.