Appalachian Underwriters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Arowood

Pros
  • Absolutely no pros to working at AUI (in 5 reviews)

• A good schedule, Monday - Friday, 8-5 or 9-6 (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Ceo, no training, no development, no advancement, expensive benefits (in 5 reviews)

• It is fast paced, do not expect alot of downtime (in 3 reviews)

1. "Growth Potential and a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Always room for growth. I am always growing in my knowlege of the industry.
    Promotion within the company is encouraged.

Cons

It is fast paced, do not expect alot of downtime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job of growing the company, it benefits us all...

2. "GREAT Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at AUI allows you to have great work relationships that build TRUST, which is hard to find these days. YES, the pace is demanding and constantly shifting, but you have to be ready to work and meet the challenge it presents on a daily basis. Management is very warm and personable. They are open about the state of the company at any time. They understand life happens and accommodate your needs. Compensation is fair and market value if you PROVE your worth - it's not given. I love working here because the work always changes, and makes you want to exceed expectation and push yourself to help the company (and yourself) succeed. If you come here to work and earn your way, YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE.

Cons

I wish I was hired sooner! :)

Advice to Management

Previously, we were give the numbers as to the company status, and for some reason those ended. It is good to see, across the board, the company's health or problem areas that need growth.

3. "A great place for a jumpstart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn multiple aspects of the insurance industry at a company that is constantly evolving to meet the needs of the customer, good work schedule with holidays off, great coworkers

Cons

Sometimes changes come swiftly with a lack of communication among departments.

Advice to Management

Provide employee benefits in line with other companies in the industry (more paid time off, sick time, work from home, or flextime benefits)

5. "Sets the Stage for Employees to Succeed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AUI has set the foundation that allows and encourages me to advance in my career path. I have acquired many skills and learned so much about the industry over the past 4 years with the company. This is a fast paced environment and never boring!

Cons

You have to be adaptable to constant change. Things change rather quickly in the insurance industry so you have to be accepting and a quick learner.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage your employees to grow and help set the stage for them to succeed.

6. "Happy Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for Appalachian Underwriters for many years. I have had the privilege of being a part of the company's growth. I am proud of the company I work for and look forward to many more years with AUI.

Cons

A very fast paced environment, if you are not willing to work, this company may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Keep looking toward the future.

7. "Had to leave only due to family issues."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sound company, that offer employees an opportunity to gain valuable experience in the insurance industry.

Cons

Could offer more than 7 paid holidays per year.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time

Pros

There are some great people working for this company and I had some great co-workers.

Cons

Hard work will not get you anywhere. The systems are a mess and make your job harder. If you have a women, this unfortunately will make your life even more difficult. I do not know how a major sexual harassment charge has not been filed. I worked at this company for over 4 years and never got a thank you or a good job. It might seem great at first but they will only cut your bonuses and do not expect any raises. Management is a joke. You will be expected to work very long hours and the pay is not worth it. This is a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

You should treat your employees with respect. Treat women with respect. Reward your employees for hard work and be fully staffed. Stopped expecting more output with less employees. Common sense will get you very far. Train your employees to do their job.

"What a joke this place is!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Oak Ridge, TN
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are No pros! You might learn some insurance from the carriers and the outside agents but don't play attention to what they teach you!

Cons

Well where shall I start... fraud, lies, overworked, underpaid, never a thank you, no raises, very very poor benefits, time off -when you do take it they make you feel like you shouldn't be. Like its a gift you should be returning to them. Nobody ever covers your work but you can be sure you are expected to cover theirs. Ladies if you don't give special favors to men don't apply here cause you WILL NEVER get ahead. That is the road to success here!

Advice to Management

Start looking at the good employees you do have! Pay them what they are worth and stop promoting those who do the favors. Stop with the lies and start telling the truth. Stop trying to hide everything -be honest with your agents and employees when there are problems. Don't make your employees have to lie for you! Tell mom and dad it's time to finally RETIRE AND GO SIT ON A BEACH AND ENJOY THE REST OF THE TIME THAT LIFE HAS FOR THEM!!! Stop making everyone's life so miserable.

"Nice co-workers but that's it."

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Oak Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant in Oak Ridge, TN

I have been working at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co workers and decent schedule but not much else. Co workers are the only thing that makes this co worth it.

Cons

Ceo, no training, no development, no advancement, expensive benefits. Owners don't seem to care about workers only how much they make...

Advice to Management

Provide in depth training, better benefits more room to advance

"HORRIBLE!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Ridge, TN

I worked at Appalachian Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great. A few managers are very friendly and caring, but they have no real say in anything because it is all up to the parents who own the business.

Cons

Micromanagement and distrust of employees for no valid reasons. Owners of company are paranoid and extremely disrespectful. They think everyone who works for them are worthless idiots. Doesn't matter how hard you work, you will never get a raise; they would rather fire employees rather than give them a raise. Nepotism is rampant.

Advice to Management

Mom and Dad need to retire for anything to get better. Their sons aren't that much better, though. The entire family needs to take a few classes on business ethics, because this is the most unethical, foul company ever.