KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Appetizer Mobile Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2021

Found 20 of over 20 reviews

3.8
Appetizer Mobile Founder and CEO Jordan Edelson  (no image)
Jordan Edelson

166 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, more than 1 year

Great place to kick off your career

Oct 9, 2020 - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Team members and supervisors are laid back and have a high level of trust for their interns - Solid client portfolio with some very reputable names - Very flexible with scheduling, no micro-management - Overall a great company to get hands-on experience if you're just starting off in your career - Direct access to the CEO, who is super friendly and great to work with

Cons

- COVID has made all operations go remote, which makes collaboration across teams a little difficult - Compensation (though the learning experience is well worth the trade-off)

2. 4.0
    Former Contractor

Life balancing

Jul 13, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice and friendly. Opinions are respected. You can be creative on the project and you can have your own time.

Cons

Low payment. Most of employees are part-time.

Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We do hire both full time and part time employees. Salaries are based on experience, skill sets, time with the company and hired position level. The majority of our positions are full time. We appreciate the time we had to work with you during your contract position.

3. 4.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good Place to Start

Jan 28, 2021 - Unity Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very flexible work schedule No micromanagement

Cons

Compensation is not comparable to average market

Operations

Thank you for your feedback and review. We wish you all the best.

4. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Intern Experience

Aug 6, 2020 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great impact on live products Independence in work

Cons

Not much thats negative, would have liked more direct supervision on some aspects of the job

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Perfect Fit!

Mar 17, 2016 - 3D/AR/VR Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Appetizer Mobile is full of innovative sprit, open mindedness, and coworkers who quickly become friends. The CEO is a very friendly, funny, and respectful person who is very involved in the content he distributes. He and the company are moving towards the latest software, hardware, wearable tech, and beyond which is exactly what I wanted to work with in the industry. The morals and ethics of the company are top notch - and the company routinely volunteers and does pro bono charity events, which makes me proud to represent such a company. Also, there is almost always 2+ interns in the office who actually learn and develop industry skills that they can certainly use anywhere.

Cons

If you don't like working late during crunch time, or are not totally committed to the high quality nature of the apps you develop, you may not be a great fit.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Creative and Friendly Company

Apr 3, 2016 - Game Programmer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Appetizer Mobile is a great environment to work on innovative and fun projects, supported by the company's culture to invest time and resource for the best possible outcome with highest quality, while maintaining flexible and healthy work time. In work, I always get to learn new tech in the market, and experiment it with different technologies, while gaining practical experience that could be utilized in many industries. The staffs and managers are not only supportive friends, but also highly cooperative team members who excel in their own shares of works and communication to keep project moving on smoothly. The CEO has very high level of understanding as he always hear your opinions in essential discussions, before finalizing any decision. On top of that, he is very kind in schedule if you let him know the situation in advance. He is a great motivator that pushes you to the next level of mastery.

Cons

As in every innovative company, creativity and patience are highly required for challenging tasks.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

All these positive reviews in such a short time frame are not suspicious at all. Here's a 101 about this place.

Apr 2, 2016 - Senior Mobile Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice location near time square. Projects are cool and nice people work here exclude the CEO who is never in office.

Cons

Horrible "entry" position for developers. I use term entry loosely. Entry developer get paid around 50-60k that is industry standard for mobile developer. Some developers in the form who has been there for a longer time makes more but they are worked insane hours. The boss at the firm will take advantage and try to pay you close to nothing (he told me $15 a hour). That is about like 30k year......pure exploiting developers. Most of the designers here are also get paid very little. Like around $10!- an hour. Boss will start off designers and developers as interns who will be work for free and assign to a lot of projects. The review below about boss expecting AAA work is true. He will expect you to bring AAAA work paying you the price of a McDonald worker!! McDonald worker gets paid more than some people at this company because boss start some employee off very low and promise a pay boost every few months. The turnover rate is very high too as said below bc of this.

12 people found this review helpful

Operations

We appreciate honest and credible feedback from employees and interns as there's always room to grow and improve. In this case however, your comments and claim to be a former senior mobile developer for our business are false. Our entry level developer salaries are much higher than what you claim and can be proven by the monthly pay stubs you would have received if you had been employed by us. Our CEO is an extremely hard working and dedicated entrepreneur who puts the company first. He's the last one to leave the office late at night and is accessible 24/7 to employees and clients. If you actually worked in our office as an employee you would have noticed that as well. The other more recent posts on GlassDoor represent some of our current employees that felt compelled to express their accurate experiences at Appetizer Mobile. It's a shame that you feel the need to try to hurt our reputation with inaccurate falsified information. We hope you can find more constructive ways to spend your time in the future.

8. 1.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Cheap and shameless self promoters

Oct 1, 2015 - Developer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They will "hire" unpaid interns and give a chance to developers that are new to the mobile market. They have some talented freelance designers and some of the people there are nice. The CEO is very good at self promotion and getting business, and you can work on interesting projects as long as you don't need to make a living. The office is conveniently located in Manhattan, which they are very proud of, but it's very small and tight working conditions. It's somewhat of a family business, which is nice.

Cons

The company is constantly advertising for new developers because they can't retain. They can't retain because they're incredible cheap. They will avoid talking about money as long as possible, and may act like a $500 check for a 2 weeks work is GENEROUS. They use unpaid interns as much as they can get away with. They will vastly downplay the amount and quality of work expected, and expect you to produce AAA work for 1/8th of a fair price. For working in-house, they may offer a developer less than $30k a year. They badmouth their former employees: all their previous developers are incompetent… never a good sign. I give their 6 month business outlook a thumbs up. Paying employees as little as possible probably keeps the books in balance.

4 people found this review helpful

Operations

We appreciate honest and credible feedback from employees, contractors and interns as there's always room to grow and improve. Unfortunately, it looks like your post is more about spreading false information than constructive feedback. As you claim to be a contractor, you would not have been offered a salary so that may be why you're making up numbers. Our business has been successfully operating in business for over 7 years. Our developers are very talented and it's unfair for you to judge them as you've never worked with them. It's a shame that you feel the need to try to hurt our reputation with inaccurate falsified information. We hope you can find more constructive ways to spend your time in the future.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company to work for

Mar 17, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

First, let me say that the previous negative reviews do not hold water nor depict the type of work environment I have encountered. Appetizer Mobile offers a great work/life balance and company culture. Projects are diverse/offer great variation and you get the chance to work on different technologies and platforms related to mobile apps. Appetizer Mobile has a really laid back atmosphere and everyone is friendly to each other. Management is very flexible with advanced notice of scheduling needs.

Cons

Give more advance notice for office parties and events.

10. 4.0
    Current Intern

Business Development Intern

Aug 18, 2016 - Anonymous Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to learn soft skills (especially public speaking) Contribute your opinions/ideas during meetings with clients Going to events to network is a part of the job. So you're not always sitting in the office in front of your computer.

Cons

Unpaid. You get commission on any leads that result in a closed deal. You never really "clock out". You may sometimes have to work from home even after you leave the office. But the amount of work you will increase your chances of getting more leads.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews