Cover image for Appian

Found 425 of over 464 reviews

4.4
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins

What people are saying about Appian

Join the conversation on

Tech

456.8K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Appian~27819
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Rapid growth in number of employees also comes with challenges but management is aware of this and does their best to ensure the growth does not impact quality and company values.(in 17 reviews)
  • "Manager will have 1 on 1 with you every other week but it’s useless they just want to get rid of the people who are genuinely trying to fit it... all they care about is the people who are quick learners(in 8 reviews)
  • "There is no training after the intro academy or planned free time.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Upper management is a closed group(in 5 reviews)
  • "Appian is great when it comes to making promises, either for career paths, promotions, or even its product.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Appian and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Fantastic Place to Work

Jan 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers. Great benefits. Great people. Great place to work.

Cons

None that I can think of.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Highly Recommend

Nov 21, 2022 - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Teamwork Being Valued What you do really makes a difference for customers Internal tools Fun Diverse Executives Commissions Structure Leadership (level 1, 2) are very well rounded in broad markets

Cons

Ramp up takes time so if you get a green patch with little to no active customers assigned to you, put the time in and it's worth it.

3. Join the Appian team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Decent place to work if you don't have to interact with anyone above an SVP.

Jul 11, 2022 - Sr. Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, great colleagues, smart people, collaborative environment, free food on Mondays and Thursdays, free snacks and soda, everyday.

Cons

Completely out of touch leadership. Senior executives here believe their title makes them a leader. None have any idea how to motivate a team to follow. The CEO does not have any concept of strategic thinking, long range planning, empathy, or what it means to be customer focused. He links strategy to mean "the product we sell." He thinks empathy...well...he doesn't think empathy at all. He's a billionaire with zero connection to real people, real struggle and real life. So he has zero ability to actually attempt to step into someone else's shoes for a different perspective. Nor does he care to try. He thinks being customer focused is going to a meeting with a customer or taking them to dinner. Not a hint about ease of doing business, listening to a customer's needs and problems, understanding what a customer values, versus what he thinks he should be able to tell the customer to value. For the rest of the company that actually understands all three concepts, we know we are successful in spite of our executive team, not because of it.

24 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company Focused on Employee Satisfaction and Growth

Oct 18, 2022 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Management is transparent in discussing goals, initiatives, and the overall state of the company. - Overall compensation and benefits are above average. - Excellent training program when you onboard. - Get to work with a number of talented and skilled individuals who want to help others succeed and are pleasant to work with. - While the work load can be significant, the stress is not because of schedule flexibility and the ability to disconnect when needed.

Cons

- 401k matching and the vesting timelines are fair, but not necessarily on par with former employers. - Kind of an odd tuition reimbursement policy that favors overall grades as opposed to seeking out difficult programs that will be challenging. No one wants to risk paying several thousand dollars unexpectedly, especially when your primary focus should be on your full time job. Most companies traditionally are pass/fail or have a less intense decrease based upon on the grade received.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Like No Other - In the Best Way!

Nov 8, 2022 - Talent Acquisition Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Appian has the most distinct culture where you are surrounded by people who love what they do and who are curious and excited to try new things. I love that everyone who interviews with the company meets with an executive (could even be a founder) - this says a lot to me. I also appreciate that they make their employees feel valued through strong benefits, recognition and promotions.

Cons

You shouldn't come to Appian if you don't love what you do because you will fade into the background easily since you are surrounded by incredible people who truly excel at their roles.

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Frustrating and disappointing

Jul 25, 2022 - Sales in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The platform is great and was often chosen when evaluated for low code workflow / case management. There were a lot of smart and high achieving people. They're in good financial standing (based on public information) going into a potential recession and recently won a big $2B lawsuit against one of their biggest competitors.

Cons

A lot of the company is falling apart. It seems like every department is losing their top performers. The CRO was doing great and even he left. The equity they offered is a joke and made it easy to leave. Sales had some disasters this year - they had a failed reorg and an even worse commission plan rollout. Communication continued to be lacking when I left. Poor performance was tolerated and in some cases even led to promotions. Legal and deal desk were difficult and took too long. Customers were telling us they don't need or like the acquired RPA and process discovery tech but we were still told to push them with a message that didn't work. Selling Appian was very very hard, some really great salespeople have failed there. The partners and the prebuilt apps should've made prospecting easier but neither helped us. I found the founders arrogant and condescending whenever I worked with them. Not a very diverse company especially leadership.

20 people found this review helpful

Appian Response

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your candid feedback, although it sounds like your experience wasn’t as good as either of us would have liked. Appian greatly values feedback of current and former employees. We are proud of the investments we've been making towards our sales organization including changes to our training, career model and compensation, and look forward to continuing to enhance our employee experience. We wish you all the best on your new endeavors.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, great people, useful product

Oct 18, 2022 - Senior Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company culture is taken seriously - including DEIB They are aware of the need for new viewpoints - even if they struggle to incorporate them Hiring process is not overkill - and recruiting is great Good benefits Work/Life Balance is really good for a product role

Cons

On-boarding is long and arduous - especially for PMs Technical debt is a little frustrating at times Tenured employees have a tendency to quash new ideas or at least add friction to them VP-level management can be hard to read/harder to convince (execs and directors/below seem to be better about this, which is encouraging)

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, fast-growing, so much potential

Oct 18, 2022 - Senior Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people. Good benefits. Great support for remote workers. Very positive outlook for company growth and opportunities. We use our own product to build apps that support our own teams internally.

Cons

The world's longest onboarding process. Most of the company is stuck on a very slow release process (though not mine). The product is good but there are a lot of opportunities for improvement. Execs are sometimes a bit too heavy-handed on processes and tools. Not enough focus on measuring success quantitatively. Very engineering-driven as a whole.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Terrible company, avoid at all costs.

Oct 8, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Money and unlimited PTO. The people were friendly but a little too nerdy for my taste and insecure about their intelligence. When you answered their questions they’d get defensive cause it made them feel dumb. Many came from ivy league so performance was important to them.

Cons

The place ran a bit like a high school fraternity. Every developer went through a highly organized day to day schedule from 9 to 5. Very vindictive and anti-competitive company. Incredibly arrogant on a product that honestly kind of sucks. Their product makes app development harder than coding by hand. I've seen companies transition from appian back to high-code platforms cause appian was so limited on what they needed it to do. Lose the arrogance and you will start to grow as a company.

7 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Great place to work!

Nov 9, 2022 - Web Content Publisher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work! Really supportive and fun culture. It's got the agility of a start-up, but the benefits of a larger, well-established company.

Cons

Haven't really found any cons of substance yet.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 425 Reviews
</>Embed

Appian Reviews FAQs

Appian has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 464 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at Appian to a friend and 83% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Appian employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Appian. This rating has improved by 4% over the last 12 months.

88% of Appian employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Appian 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Appian to be career development, culture, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, benefits.

Popular Careers with Appian Job Seekers