Appian Employee Reviews about "professional services"

Updated Jan 8, 2021

4.0
Appian President and CEO Matt Calkins
Matt Calkins
Pros
  • "exciting moment, new tech, work-life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "I've never worked with such a high percentage of super smart people(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Professional Services (PS) has limited input/ say over product roadmap (owned primarily by the engineering team)(in 16 reviews)

• "HQ located in Reston Town Center -- not the most central location so for a lot of people it's kind of a hike(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "professional services"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Phenomenal company with a great culture"

Former Employee - Professional Services

I worked at Appian full-time

Pros

The culture at Appian makes this a great place to work

Cons

The hours in professional services tend to be long.

January 19, 2021SVP, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on your experience while working at Appian. We wish you all the best on your new journey!

"Falls so short of what I expected"

1.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have a nice office space and friendly coworkers. Pay is also decent for the area.

Cons

They really don't encourage out-of-the-box thinking and want everyone to adhere to a narrow view of drinking the cool aid and never questioning things. Professional services is going down incredibly fast and no one seems to care. Anyone who wants a place to learn and grow should avoid Appian at all costs.

December 1, 2020SVP, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to share your past experience with us, and I’m sorry to hear of some of the Cons you shared. Our Customer Success Department (formerly known as Professional Services) provides our team members the opportunity to build experiential value and knowledge where out-of-box thinking is highly encouraged. Thank you again for your candor, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Not all bad, but limited my potential, and if I could do it again, I would avoid Appian"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Reston, VA

I worked at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

From what I heard from friends outside Professional Services, the company is a lot better Nice office Great, smart coworkers Job can be interesting at times Pretty good company when it comes to Agile implementation

Cons

Extremely limited transferable skills outside of doing Appian work. They will dispute this but my options when I looked to get out were either lateral moves to companies wanting to do Appian implementation, or entry level jobs elsewhere. They made money off my constant overtime, which I was repeatedly told was not typical, but not even a mention of that extra work graced my annual reviews. On that note, no bonuses. I felt misled about the technical aspect of the role. Interviewed for "consultant" role but was referred to as a "developer" on the day to day. Career growth heavily tied to the success of the project you're on, which as an Associate Consultant you do not realistically have control over as long as you're not dragging your feet on development. Increased work with "partner" companies means it's not uncommon to be the only Appian employee in your team. I knew of a number of people in that circumstance. Make a show of asking for your preferences for projects but never once was a preference of mine taken into account. Opaque and vague feedback structure Appian's long term goal is to take "low code" and make it "no code". with respect to the first point, you can see how this leads to concern. If you're trying to avoid feeling like a proverbial cog in the machine by staying away from more traditional tech consulting firms, I'd advise to stay away from Appian Professional Services as well. I really considered not posting this in case it could be determined who I am, but ultimately decided that a review like this could have positively impacted my life, and I'd want to be able to do the same for someone reading these now.

October 1, 2020VP, Customer Success

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us regarding your experience within Professional Services. We are sorry to hear about your takeaways regarding limiting transferable skills and career growth. Providing consultants an opportunity to build experiential value and knowledge that expands far beyond our technology is something we take great pride in and we focus on it heavily. Most projects provide consultants an amazing opportunity to work directly with customers to co-create solutions that digitally transform their business and solve some of their most complex problems. Through these responsibilities, consultants develop valuable skills and experience in a variety of areas, including: strategy, business process reengineering, agile management, presentation skills, communication skills, industry expertise, enterprise architecture, and user experience. Lastly, to your note on bonuses, we are excited to share that we have introduced a new corporate bonus that applies to all employees in 2020. Thank you again for your feedback, and we wish you all the best with your future endeavors.

4. "Better than most consultancies"

4.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of consulting firms look for "butts in seats", silo their workers, and don't allow them to innovate. That is not the case at Appian. Consultants are given a lot of leash from the company, even if our customers don't always allow them to take advantage of it. Appian has a variety of different customers across different domains, which pose new and exciting challenges for consultants who want to be exposed to different technologies. By in large, people are smart, motivated, and hard working. The department tends to run fairly autonomously from the rest of the organization, implementing its own solutions to career management, recruiting, knowledge sharing, etc. There is a strong inclination towards self-governance and self-organizing. For example, our career guidance was developed by consultants across all ranges of the hierarchy, from consultants to VPs. We also have internally managed "guilds" which develop UX, Agile, and Technical best practices based on experiences in the field. This is a much better position than in most government consulting firms. They will not force you to find your own projects, make you work like a robot on repetitive tasks, or silo you to one skill or subject matter. You have an opportunity to make an impact and effect change, as long as you're willing to put in the work.

Cons

Just as with any consulting firm, billability is key and sometimes you get worked to the bone to meet customer demands. A bad manager will make matters much worse. To add insult to injury, Professional Services, the consulting wing of Appian, is certainly the black sheep of Appian and get treated as such. There is little time for consultants to work on self-growth, there is no indie time, and little investment in training other than the initial Academy that consultants go through. Since we have the most experience with customers, we are also saddled with supporting sales cycles, engineering feedback, and many more initiatives that pile on top of an already large workload. Although these extracurriculars are not required, they are key differentiators that certainly matter at raise/promotion time. That being said, there is a small set of individuals that seem to take on this burden more regularly than others, and their compensation does not reflect it.

August 19, 2019VP, Professional Services

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review and point out many parts of our culture that are a source of pride; for example: promoting self-organization and self-governance, hiring only the best and brightest, and exposing consultants to a variety of technologies (something that is only becoming increasingly important with the growing power of solutions that include AI, RPA, and mobile-first approaches). Regarding your feedback, we appreciate your candor. Over the last year, we have invested in our snapshot process to ensure employees can provide direct feedback on their managers and we can address growth areas. We will continue to improve this process and we will ask all members of our team to help. We also see it as a strength that consultants here can choose to have an impact in any facet of the company. Whether they choose to assist in sales, recruiting, helping to build a better product, experimenting with new technologies, building practitioner-based training, or helping us enhance our career paths, all these contributions are voluntary. Furthermore, they should align with an individual’s passions, so the contributions are a source of passion, pride, and self-development, rather than a burden. We will consider your feedback to ensure we are positioning these extra-curricular activities properly.

"Good Company to Start your Career off"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- In Professional Services, your experience and opportunities will be dependent on the projects you're staffed on (maybe this is a con?) - The people here are great - if you're on a team with Appian employees, you'll have a great experience. If you're on a project with partners / by yourself, you'll feel isolated - Even junior staff gets to take on large responsibilities - Occasional bench time to relax after intense projects is nice - Remote work is generally acceptable; very flexible of personal obligations

Cons

- Remote employees (even at satellite offices) often feel undervalued vs those at HQ - PS structure is beginning to turn bureaucratic, not as "flat" as it was a few years ago - Career path and expectations are ambiguous - Clear and actionable feedback is hard to come by

April 24, 2019VP, Customer Success

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. As we continue to expand the organization, we are committed to finding ways to continuously improve. Thus, we greatly appreciate your candor. Over the past year, we have invested in clarifying professional services career paths and promotion expectations based on feedback like yours. We want all of our employees here at Appian, whether at HQ, remote offices, or home offices, to feel valued. We are sorry to hear that you have heard or felt otherwise in this case due to work location. I welcome a conversation with you, if you are willing, to better understand how we can improve on this matter.

"Great culture, great colleagues, great opportunities"

Current Employee - Proposals in Reston, VA

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager is honest, transparent, and is committed to the success of our team both collectively, and individually. She ensures we know our future career opportunities, and that we're developing both the skills we need now, and working on the ones needed to achieve future goals. I love knowing that I won't get stuck in a stagnant role, but will continue having opportunities to learn and grow. My teammates are kind, smart, and supportive. We have a collaborative environment and colleagues readily offer assistance to each other, and constantly share new knowledge with the team. From the broader organization, I feel my contributions are appreciated, and my colleagues are intelligent and pleasant to work with. My role involves frequent collaboration with Sales Account Executives and managers, Professional Services, Solutions Consultants, and corporate operations departments. I have found all teams to be very professional and knowledgeable in their roles. A cultural aspect I really enjoy is participation in AppianLIFE organizations and affinity groups. These groups are formed by employees with the goal of supporting identities or interests in the organization, and building cross-departmental relationships. These groups have provided me both with career-enhancing workshops and training, as well as social opportunities to build relationships and learn more about my colleagues in other departments.

Cons

Smaller departments can feel somewhat isolated, as they have fewer group activities, and often fewer opportunities for visibility than larger departments. It's not uncommon for me to meet colleagues who didn't know my team exists. I think some of this may change when Appian moves to our new HQ building later this year and we're no longer divided by the physical barriers we currently experience being located across multiple floors of two different office towers. AppianLIFE groups have also focused on bringing a more unified culture to the organization, so I believe we are making progress in this area.

January 15, 2019VP US Sales

Thank you for sharing your experience not only within your department, but also across teams and within our internal affinity groups. It’s wonderful to hear that you feel your contributions are appreciated. I’m not sure what we would do without the proposals team, as you play an integral role in the sales process! I would agree with your note stating that our new campus will help to bridge the silos of being within two spaces currently. Just a few months to go!

"your mileage may vary"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Challenging work requiring abstract thinking and analytical skills -Exciting (low code) industry with very promising future -Project based work, so the work experience will vary -Opportunity to travel and not get stuck working in the same office day to day (if that's important to you) -Professional experience in developing front facing client skills, agile software delivery, and Appian platform development experience (which is a marketable skill set outside of working at the company)

Cons

-Appian is a more sales centric organization than a product centric/ customer focused company -Limited technical professional development experience outside of learning the Appian platform/ SAIL -Promotions require building and presenting a "portfolio" to a committee for consideration -Professional Services (PS) has limited input/ say over product roadmap (owned primarily by the engineering team) -Unclear business strategy/ competing revenue streams within the company -Lack of enforced best practices/ design paradigms across projects, long hours, and challenging timelines resulting in low quality applications delivered to clients. PS focuses on short delivery timelines to realize the value proposition of low code software development at the expense of application quality -Senior leadership openly discusses plans to eliminate the PS arm of the company, creating lots of confusion and lowered morale among PS consultants

March 27, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review, as we value and consider all feedback. I’m sorry to see that you had a mixed experience during your time here. However, many of your comments do not accurately represent our strategy, and I’d like to address a few of them: Although our primary focus when employees first join Appian is to gain experience with our product, Appian consultants are exposed to many technologies and verticals through their varied project work and have increased responsibilities as their skills develop over time. We offer multiple defined career paths for consultants to pursue their interests, including a technical-focused track which requires expertise in general enterprise technologies in addition to Appian and an industry-focused track allowing specialization in certain industries. We have no plans to eliminate our professional services function. Our partner network is strong and we will continue to invest in it; however, our PS department plays a major role in our strategy and we have significant growth plans for 2019.

"Too Focused on Engineering Dept"

Former Employee - Solution Engineer

I worked at Appian full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a software engineer, Appian is a great place to work - lots of incentives and rewards, a great deal of recognition, and while the growth is crazy they're making a huge effort to offset growing too fast for their own good.

Cons

Departments outside of Software Engineering (Support is what I worked most closely with, but also Professional Services and Sales) are toxic and aren't matching the demand that customers have (PS usually has way too many people, Support with way too few). The departments end up blaming and arguing with each other, really taking away from the culture Appian is trying to foster.

Continue reading

"Avoid Professional Services at all costs."

1.0

I worked at Appian full-time

Pros

Good holiday party and Appian retreat.

Cons

As others have pointed, the PTO policy isn't generous, especially compared to other tech or consulting companies in the area. I was attracted to Appian for it's culture. "Best idea wins", right? Not quite. I found the culture in PS to be toxic, compared to the rest of the company. In my tenure, many people actively transferred out of PS. I can't think of anyone that actually transferred in or boomeranged back. There's an obvious disconnect. People do seem genuinely happier in Engineering so if that's your department, you're in luck. The company culture seems much stronger outside of PS. I'm not convinced the PS leaders share the same vision or values as other department leaders. Retaining talent and improving morale doesn't seem to be their priority. Recruiting advertises a rotational abroad in UK or Australia to new PS hires. Every attempt at this was futile. Upper management within Commercial actively prevented this at every step of the way so don't get your hopes up. I was on the bench on several occasions, waiting for new work to come in. There was zero communication, timeline or transparency during this time from upper management so I got a nice 3 week vacation out of this. In my experience, you'll have no voice in your project selection or how long you'll stay on. The reporting structure is an absolute mess. Feedback is essentially non-existent. You're assigned a mentor in PS. However, this mentor may never actually work with you in a professional setting. And this is the person writing your annual review. You also have a career adviser, but again, this person has never worked with you before. You also have a team lead and a TDM one level above the team lead. 12 months on a project and my lead and TDM never once expressed any interest in my career or goals. I also found some of their practices borderline unethical. TDMs, leads, and VPs expecting us to work 10-11 hour days, but only allowing us to bill the client for 8 hours of work? We also had 7 am team calls multiple times a week. Overall, I thought Appian (the company) was great, but professional services (the department) promoted an unhealthy and toxic work environment. For some, PS may be a good place to start your career, but don't expect to stay long.

November 8, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It is unfortunate to hear that you did not get the best out of your experience at Appian. We value and consider all feedback, and we have a talent management team within the Professional Services department which is focused on making this an excellent place to work for all employees. We invest in this because it’s important to us. . The experience you describe is certainly not typical. While new visa regulations have curbed some of our international rotations, this remains a vibrant program for us and several consultants have taken advantage of this over the course of this year. Our customers invite us to solve complex problems. It’s challenging work, but long hours are not the norm.

"Future Focused"

I have been working at Appian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is positioned to be the next hugely successful enterprise software company and senior leadership seems to be making many right decisions every day to get the organization there. The engineering organization functions like a well oiled machine and will continue to scale well. The best aspect of this company is the people. You find brilliant, hard-working people across every department - Engineering, Sales, Pre-Sales, Professional Services, Recruitment, Finance, etc. Appian is a meritocracy where employees are empowered to speak up for what they believe in and the best ideas win. Of the tech, bottom line is the platform is superior to anything out there.

Cons

There's a unique company culture that is perfect for many but not right for everyone. The platform is powerful but can be very easily misunderstood when messaged poorly. Marketing is still finding their way.

June 25, 2018CTO and Co-Founder

Thanks for the feedback. It's not inevitable that talent be diluted by growth -- Appian's higher profile and success means it is easier than ever for talent to find us. We do agree with you that that founders and senior leaders should always prioritize interviewing and hiring. I'll admit I may have let things slip a bit last year as I spent more time on the road visiting clients but no longer.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews