Appirio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Appirio CEO Chris Barbin
Chris Barbin

Pros
  • Working in the cloud means exactly that, freedom to work from home is real not just a mantra as with some other companies (in 38 reviews)

• Despite servicing a 1200-2000 member client base global wide, it is possible to sustain a work life balance (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be challenging (in 17 reviews)

• Appirio has growing pains and this isn't to be denied (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best Career Decision to Move to Appirio"

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work life balance
    - Flexible work environment
    - Connected to others in the company making it easy for collaboration
    - Feel like I have a voice, can encourage a positive change
    - Realistic expectations in role
    - Up-to-date technology to complete job
    - Sense of purpose
    - PTO and Volunteering Time is Paid
    - Pay is higher than the average within the region

Cons

- Working remotely can provide a sense of "being on an island," but Appirio does a great job of connecting regions for volunteering, networking, etc. Not a true "con," per se.

Advice to Management

N/A

May 13, 2016 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

So glad to hear you are so happy with your decision to be at Appirio. Also good to hear as a virtual team member you find many options to stay connected, always open to any additional ideas hear as ... More

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, work-life balance, ability to work from home, interesting projects, get work with really smart and fun people, great culture, candid and outspoken CEO.

Cons

lots of turnover (certain roles seem to have more turnover), inexperienced leaders (you have a lot of really good individual contributors who get promoted who have no idea how to be leader), lack of formal career pathing instead of clear path, its about who you know.

Advice to Management

Make a commitment to keeping employees, develop career pathing, set performance and merit review cycles, commit to developing people leaders.

Apr 12, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback. It is great to see you have appreciated the flexibility and work-life balance as well as ability to work on interesting projects with smart ... More

3. "Great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Ascend Program Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Ascend Program Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Appirio (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy to communicate with management
    -Organized and friendly culture
    -Easy career progression
    -Great compensation

Cons

-Guidelines can sometimes be tricky but nothing serious

Mar 20, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

This is great to hear of your experience within the Ascend program and at Appirio. It would be helpful to understand your feedback further regarding guidelines and what you have experienced if you ... More

5. "Appirio is a great place to grow and be surrounded by smart people."

Former Employee - Workday Integration Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Workday Integration Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Appirio's hiring standards are higher than the companies I've worked for in the past. Expect to be surrounded by smart, motivated people.
    - The ability to work from home is nice for work/life flexibility; if you have an appointment during the day it's easy to take the time you need and make it up later.
    - Their travel requirements were very flexible. If ever I felt I was traveling too much or too little I'd speak with my manager and they would adjust my travel accordingly.
    - Lot's of opportunity to learn; I was never discouraged from getting another certification in a different technical area.

Cons

- Remote work is also a con in that if you work remotely it is much more difficult to be noticed, especially at the non-management level. I worked there two years and never met my manager in person.

Advice to Management

If the team is 100% remote, invite team members to work onsite together at the indy office twice per year so they can get to know each.

Feb 22, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for providing this feedback and idea as well. It's great to hear you have found it a great place to grow your career and work with other smart people in the industry.

"Cliche but best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Appirio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, logical business operations, only 40-hours a week for programmers

Cons

Recent acquisition shifted culture slightly but not drastically

Jan 29, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Love hearing that this is the best job you have ever had! Would be great to hear your feedback on culture further as it is always important to us, feel free to reach out to me directly at ... More

7. "Keep a Watchful Eye on the Horizon"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture and office benefits are a plus

Cons

Recent Wipro buyout has left a lot of question unanswered, or brushed aside.

Jan 3, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for providing this feedback and always good to hear you are enjoying the culture and being a part of the Indy office. In regards to questions you have, it would be great to connect ... More

"Now You're Just a Company That I Used to Know"

Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The team members you work with are absolutely brilliant, they're the reason you would stick around

Cons

-It is very apparent when managers pick favorites and tend to isolate the rest of the team to focus on the development of the "only" rising star
    -The culture/morale has been slipping quite a bit since the acquisition by Wipro.
    -Management is becoming a bit toxic, not facilitating opportunities of growth, but rather feeling more of a beating down for moments of failure
    -Work-life balance is thrown out the window if you hope to succeed at this company. Otherwise have fun being in limbo and never being recognized for the great work you actually do.
    -Under compensated compared to other firms of similar size

Advice to Management

Often times, my manager will tell me not to put too many hours into the week (i.e. work until 11pm several weeknights). The hypocrisy is outrageous, when our very HITRs are being praised for putting in long nights and weekends. There needs to be some consistency there. Either set the expectation that you expect us to be overworked and we'll be recognized for it, or tell us to take some time to actually spend with our families on the weekends so that we can enjoy the work that we do.

Actually listen to the staff, after all we're the backbone of this organization. There is no need to enforce your own agendas.

Jan 13, 2017 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to provide us this feedback. I would really like to talk to you to understand this feedback in more detail, you can reach out to me directly at jbarker@appirio.com.

"Great potential, poor execution."

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great culture
    - Ability to work from home almost 100% (Depending on your position)
    - Smart, friendly, and passionate coworkers
    - Great communication by executive management on where the company direction is headed
    - Fun & engaging company meetings (both in person and remote)
    - No micromanagement
    - Work/Life balance is GREAT for the consulting industry
    - Company internal tools & software are best in class

Cons

- Favoritism played heavily by upper management for certain practices, leaving the smaller practices not feeling valued by the company.
    - Tendencies by direct management to praise & promote inner circle, while ignoring their other employees.
    - Smaller practices have little to no career pathing compared to the larger practices
    - Direct management tends to ignore issues or complaints addressed by employee when it interferes with their own self interest
    - Larger practices give raises and promote exponentially faster than the smaller practices, regardless of effort
    - Little to no feedback from management on strengths/weaknesses or areas to improve
    - Minimal feedback on timing for future promotions/compensation increases
    - Promises for raises/promotions not kept by management
    - Poor internal product training
    - All promotions and raises locked by acquisition and cannot happen until at least Q2 2017

Advice to Management

Don't undervalue the work of the Acceleration Practices. They have much less support than the larger practices do (from both a headcount & internal tools perspective), as well as having to work with implementation processes that are not yet hashed out. Additionally, when promotions or raises are difficult to come by for the Acceleration practices (even after high praise from both clients and peers) it makes the employees feel like there is no need or reason to go above and beyond, outside of receiving vocal praise.

Dec 14, 2016 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for providing such in-depth feedback, it is appreciated. I would like to meet with you to discuss your feedback further if you are open to meeting you can reach out to me directly at ... More

10. "Culture changed before acquisition"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great atmosphere and really supportive teams
    - Good variety of clients so you can be placed anywhere

Cons

- Management became much less transparent leading up to acquisition
    - Practices staff more senior assets and not younger assets, so they get less experience
    - Poor compensation compared to other firms of similar size

Advice to Management

Good luck now that you've been acquired by Wipro

Nov 30, 2016 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for providing us this feedback. If you would be open to discussing your feedback further please feel free to reach out to me directly at jbarker@appirio.com.

"Paralegal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having an in-house position in legal with such a flexible work culture and hours is not to be taken granted. It's a very rare circumstance in legal that you're not working 60-70 hour weeks. Despite servicing a 1200-2000 member client base global wide, it is possible to sustain a work life balance. Which is unheard elsewhere in any firm usually.

Cons

Appirio has growing pains and this isn't to be denied. Salaries are increased if you pursue them.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent. Consider annual raises for those who don't have available promotion potential.

Oct 25, 2016 – Director, Field HR and Recruiting

Thank you for providing this feedback. It's great to hear about your experience with the flexible work culture and ability to have work/life balance. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if ... More