Appirio Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Appirio Global Business Head Erik Duffield
Erik Duffield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Working in the cloud means exactly that, freedom to work from home is real not just a mantra as with some other companies" (in 42 reviews)

• "Virtual workplace creates the need for Client travel, but it also has a better work life balance" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work life balance while you are in a complex project" (in 20 reviews)

• "Senior Management makes a perspective about some AM or Managers that they will be working nice but the reality is different" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Bold, transparent leadership--great company culture! My favorite place to work in 20+ years."

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our Leadership is passionate about a great worker experience for Appirians. We use the best internal tools to create frictionless, collaborative teams. Since joining 2 years ago, I have been a part of project teams that have created the best Client work in my career. Virtual workplace creates the need for Client travel, but it also has a better work life balance.

Cons

There has been some turnover since the Wipro acquisition, but those who have stayed are committed and energized.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent and authentic to who you are. You have a vision for Appirio...don't let the Wipro influence overwrite that.

Appirio Response

Apr 12, 2018 – Manager, Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback. It's awesome to hear that Appirio is your favorite employer in your 20 year career! I appreciate your advice as well. Culture at the core remains... More

2. "Enjoy working with a lot of capable people"

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Just finished my 3rd year @ Appirio. Overall, it has been a very positive experience. I enjoy working with very dedicated and capable people. The projects are diverse so you can get a lot of exposure to a lot of different industries. Appirio is by far the most transparent company that I have every worked for which is refreshing. The CEO will address any question that is raised head on and tell you what they are doing about it, even if the question is not quite appropriate for the forum. Appirio has had a fair amount of turnover recently but I think things are stabilizing now. Of the people I know that left, most were because there were other opportunities to be involved at startup orgs, not because the culture at Appirio was bad (my experience only).

Cons

The Wipro acquisition has been a bit of an unknown. Unfortunately, many of the experiences I have had with Wipro within Appirio reflect the "low cost, squeeze-prices-down" mentality that Wipro is known for which is not why I came to (and stay at) Appirio. I am holding my breath that they keep Appirio separate from Wipro as they have and let us do our thing in peace.

Advice to Management

The only way that you will keep the best and the brightest at Appirio is to keep the bean-counting Wipro folks at bay. If they are unleashed on the org many (including myself) are just primed to head for the doors.

"Changes recently"

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture has been great in the 5+ years I've been here. At the individual worker level, everyone is great. Willing to jump in and help at a moment's notice. Great Collaboration!

Cons

After the Wipro acquisition, the types of engagements we've seen in the various practices have definitely changed. Scoping has always been an issue, and seems to have gotten worse. We've seen a large exodus in consultants in recent months causing the remaining staff to try to step up and become more overloaded. The benefits since the acquisition have gone up in cost and down in availability of Providers and covered needed.

Advice to Management

Tighten up the Sales process so that your delivery teams are not left with attempting to do 100 hours worth of effort into a project that was promised in 60. Be willing to work keep talented people even if it means making larger than historical salary increases.

4. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people working in a great industry (SaaS consulting).

Cons

Feeling the effects of being acquired by a much, much larger company.

Advice to Management

Find a way to carve out a new company identity within the realities of being a subsidiary.

"miss pre-acquisition culture"

I worked at Appirio full-time

Pros

smartest peers in the industry

Cons

Appirio culture no longer present

6. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Technical Lead
    Former Employee - Technical Lead

I worked at Appirio (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, looks after their employees, everyone is very supportive and helpful. Lots of positivity all the way down.

Cons

The nature of enterprise consulting can be a bit drab

"Great company"

I have been working at Appirio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and an environment that promotes teamwork, learning, development and fun. Appirio has great programs in place to allow people to connect and collaborate even in the remote environment. We are encouraged to learn and grow.

Leadership is always accessible and available. I emailed the CEO not too long ago about a concern and I had a reply within 5 minutes.

Cons

There has been a lot of attrition lately but I don’t know if this is really a con. At the end of the day it just leaves more opportunities for the ones that stay and for new people to come in and contribute to the culture.

Advice to Management

Stay transparent and focused.

"So, this is where companies get the archetype of the "smarmy consultant"..."

I worked at Appirio full-time

Pros

Mostly remote work, benefits and pay are decent

Cons

It's very clear that the company strategy has adopted the Wipro model of a "race to the bottom" when bidding on projects. As a result, Account Executives almost always oversell a project without truly understanding the problems they're trying to solve. Delivery teams never get a say in how the projects are sold, and almost always, AE's just charge forward with their overpromised deal and pull out the Change Order play once they see the gravity of a bad situation they created.

Delivery teams, as a result, are stretched thinly. A disparate amount of work is sent to Jaipur, where there's almost always a rotating cast of characters of questionable skill levels. US-based tech leads essentially become "janitors", spending most time cleaning up half-baked work done by underqualified resources under an aggressive timeline.

Higher up, tech architects spend most of their time attempting to manage the bad situation created by the AE, and therefore don't have the requisite time to ensure a quality delivery. Their role is predominantly tap dancing for the client as the rest of the Delivery Team tries to pull a rabbit out of a hat and meet unreasonable deadlines with uncontrolled scope.

Morale is generally terrible from all aspects, as a result, in both the US and Jaipur. The Appirio Way is a mirage, it's all about revenue now.

Advice to Management

Just change the logo and be completely absorbed by Wipro already. The Appirio brand no longer means anything, and is just a mechanism to bait and switch clients into oversold/underdelivered deals.

"Predatory Sales"

I worked at Appirio full-time

Pros

None. Appirio is not a good company.

Cons

If you work at a small to mid-sized company be very careful about working with Appirio. If the rep you are talking to thinks that he's only going to get one or two projects ou of you he will tell you whatever you want to here.

If you sign a contract, he will hand you over to a different group of people who have to build whatever it is you contracted for. They will eventually tell you that it's not possible, but only after burning up weeks or months of your time in meetings. In these meetings they'll propose solutions you can't afford, and try to get you to sign a change order to spend even more money.

If you refuse, they will tell you the truth and walk away, having pocketed most or all of the money that you originally agreed to pay.

Maybe all consultants are like this, but it was worse at Appirio that it was at other consultants I've worked for.

Appirio uses net promoter scores to measure how happy their customers are. The problem with this is that if a contract ended badly the customer won't be asked for feedback.

Advice to Management

The days of keeping your people "pumped" by constantly bragging about the "Appirio awesome sauce" are over. Grow up.

"Maybe not the best place to look for a job right now"

I worked at Appirio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Super smart coworkers and managers in the Appirio organization.
    * Incredibly flexible schedule because you can trust your coworkers and they trust you to get your work done.
    * Ascend program is a great way to train young talent.

Cons

* Wipro, the company that acquired Appirio, has negatively changed the business culture. Even though the Appirio group is transparent, Wipro is not. Wipro wins contracts by being the lowest priced. Appirio used to win contracts by being the highest quality.
    * There has been a lot of turnover of very, very talented people in a very, very short term. It hurt morale and made a lot of remaining Appirio employees question the future of the company.
    * The sales team is given too much leeway. They don't understand the services they are selling, mess up deals. and take no responsibility for mistakes. There's no oversight of what they're doing.

Appirio Response

Sep 20, 2018 – Global Director, Diversity & Recruiting

Aligning workstreams, maximizing economies of scale, and navigating cultural nuance isn't easy but it seems to be invigorating for a lot Appirians. In the coming months, we will continue to explore... More