Apple American Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Flynn

1. "Service/Bar Manager"

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Continued training is good for managers

Cons

Benefits are expensive for 50 hr work weeks

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Lorain, OH
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Lorain, OH

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co workers were like family

Cons

Managers don't care and sexual abuse is a norm in the kitchen.

3. "Applebee's Host"

Current Employee - Host in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Host in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Apple American Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good group of people to work with. Ability to pick up, drop or exchange shifts. 1/2 off meals days you work. Love the customers, quick pace and actually the food.

Cons

As a host your duties include fully cleaning and restocking bathrooms, outdoor garbage, windows at front and back doors, mopping both entry areas and bathrooms and then typical greeting, seating, upselling etc... You are also a busser and food runner. At minimum you pick up all glassware, but typically when it's busy you pick up all you can to turn the tables. You make minimum wage just like the servers do nowadays but while they may walk out with $100-$200+, you make get just $5-$10 from each if you work alone and tips are divided between number of host's working that shift. Never worked in a place that tipped out so poorly. Some servers tip out an actual 10% of tips but rarely. All other restaurants I have worked at tip out at least 10% of tips to busser (more if they are really working to turn your tables and doing extra), then 10% of alcohol sales (more if they do alot of specialty drinks etc.) to bartender, and finally the host. Since here the host is also a busser and food runner 10% of tips is more than fair since again the servers are also making $9.50 and hr plus tips!

Advice to Management

Please educate your service staff. If your host is not doing a job worthy of at least 10% of server tips then your host needs some remedial training, or maybe another job. If your host comes in evry day doing an exceptional job then your servers should be tipping out at least 10% of total tips. I don't agree with a percentage of total sales because no matter how good the service is everyone is still going to gets their fair share of cheap customers who will not tip the standard 15-20%. The state of Minnesota requires that even tipped employees make a minimum of $9.50 an hour...what seems to be the problem?? We are supposed to be a "Team" and Applebee's stresses that. As a Team we should always be making each other look good, supporting one another in every way possible at work and sharing the wealth. A restaurant should really be another family. If a host isn't worth it they shouldn't be there. If a server balks at tipping out a host/busser/food runner 10% of their total tips, they should be educated to the reality or perhaps take a month or two as a host/busser/food runner. Then let them decide whats fair.

5. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - AssistatMaagr in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - AssistatMaagr in Independence, OH

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People you work with are fun and some customers are great regulars

Cons

Constantly transferring managers all over, no advancement program, inconsistent operations from store to store. Some Gm's good, some not so good and cheap.

Advice to Management

Focus on people not the bottom line and believe in your people some customers are not always right.

6. "Waitress"

Former Employee - Waitress in North Fontana, CA
    Former Employee - Waitress in North Fontana, CA

I worked at Apple American Group part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management works with your schedule if you are a student and on top of providing your availability
    Easy money
    Gained great customer service experience

Cons

Having to work weekends
    No set schedule or out times (all depends on flow of people coming in)
    Advancement in company takes way to long

Advice to Management

Show your staff they are appreciated more often, provide fun contests and praise
    Clearly define sales expectations

7. "not bad"

I worked at Apple American Group full-time

Pros

decent pay, growing stores, large brand

Cons

the food is the same

8. "Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Server in Chippewa, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Chippewa, PA

I worked at Apple American Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive was they paid me on time.

Cons

Terrible management. Very unsanitary they have roaches. Lots of fighting, screaming, & treating coworkers & employees awful. I have had a managers say racist, sexist, and generally hateful things to both myself and others.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Use both positive & negative reinforcement. Be fair. Do not write up someone for something that you wouldn't another.

9. "AAG"

Pros

Fun work environment. The company really tries hard to adapt, innovate and think outside the box when it comes to training and encouraging their staff to be valuable assets.

Cons

There can be a lack of professionalism and maturity due to the wide age range of people who work in the service industry and this company is no exception.

Advice to Management

Place a higher standard of professionalism on new-hires and address the concerns and complaints of your staff.

10. "GM"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Apple American Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My company cares about its employees and guests! Food is made fresh daily. I feel honored to work for Apple American Group. Great quality of life.

Cons

The pay does it not the best but not the worst. we do get paid monthly bonus. Hourly managers get paid overtime but salaried do not.

11. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Apple American Group full-time

Pros

Monthly bonus programs that can be very nice. 3 day weekend once a quarter. Paid for Thanksgiving and Christma.

Cons

Recently they had salary managers clock in for there shift. I would normally close the store. A closer is schedule 4 to 2am. Usually I get done an hour early. So I am docked almost an hour of pay a night.