Apple Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2017

Austin, TX

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • NO SUCH THING AS WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 833 reviews)

• absolutely no work life balance (in 150 reviews)

1. "Contract Employee, Loves Apple"

Current Contractor - GIS Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - GIS Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Apple values their employees and treats them very well. Working here is enjoyable because of the laid back and productive atmosphere, work-life balance, and all around enjoyable people.

Cons

No cons as of yet

"Positive but challenging & stressful at times."

Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applecare At Home Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Support, encouragement, open door policy with most managers, promote from within, you have some say in your schedule, everyone willingly assists when they can.

Cons

Sometimes you don't get a good schedule, absence policy can be tough, constantly changing work, occasionally triple customers at the same time.

Advice to Management

Hire more for launch and holidays rather than overwriting existing advisors.

"Apple Technical Support Advisor"

Former Employee - IOS Technical Support Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - IOS Technical Support Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apple was a great company to work for. The benefits were awesome and I felt like a learned a lot. It's definitely a job for you if you like talking to people and like solving problems.

Cons

The job seemed a little bit monotonous. It didn't seem to me like there was a ton of room for job growth. That may have been my fault, but I felt like there weren't any further opportunities for me.

"AOS & Apple Watch Setup"

Former Employee - Apple Product Professional AOS in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Apple Product Professional AOS in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome employees. Awesome facilities in Austin (brand new campus). Awesome pay and benefits. Awesome technology of course. If you are happy to be a worker bee, or are motivated to try and move up, Apple can make it happen. You really feel apart of something bigger than yourself, and of course as it is Apple - something world renowned and cool. They have put a lot of thought and energy into keeping employees feeling valued as individuals, and the devent pay, benefits, facilities, HR support etc. support that. This was is best place I have ever worked in my 17 year career. Oh, and Café Macs (cafeteria) is the best in the world for staff meals. No joke, google it!!!

Cons

Middle management & micromanagement: It is luck of the draw getting a good manager, at the team/group level. Some are awesome, professional, and totally fair. Others the exact opposite. Also, shift bids are awful. If you complain loud enough ("I have kids to take to school" etc etc), you will usually always get the prime early morning starts, M-F. For all you single or childless people out there (like me), get ready for lots of PM and weekend shifts. Micromanagement is epic. Brace yourself for having every minute of every work day accounted for. Metrics metrics metrics metrics metrics. It is mind-numbing after a while, and the main reason I left. And I was really GOOD at my job. Cute achievement certificates and pats on the back. But I couldn't take the relentless dilution of everything I did into a number. Incredibly dehumanizing after a time. Oh and favortism. Rampant and overt, some managers hide it better than others .

Advice to Management

Stop overtly favoring people. At least try and hide it, it's insulting to us with brains and a little pride. Make a plan and stick with it. Change for change sake is not efficient/cool/improving anything. It is literally making everything unnecessarily difficult and probably costly. Focus people. What would Steve Jobs do!?

"At Home Advisor"

Current Employee - At Home Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - At Home Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay!
    No Commute!
    Great Benefits
    And it stops right there!

Cons

Micromanagement to the point of irritation. Managers who are not knowledgeable. Constant rude customers who swear, demean, and yell at you on almost every call. Dealing with customer who have valid reasons for being upset due to subpar products and software, and having to pretend that the customer is wrong.
    Shift bids every 2 months which are based on CSATs and other unattainable metrics. Working with contract employees who have had little to no training. Not allowing customers to access their own information due to some false sense of security. I would not recommend this job to anyone who wants to have work-life balance, pride in the company they work for, a support team, or a sense of self-respect at the end of the day. I am in the Pre-management program and cannot wait to change things at Apple for the better.

Advice to Management

Take a moment to remember when you were in our shoes. Try not to focus solely on metrics. Do not encourage your customers to lie to their customers. Support your employees, have open and honest dialogue, and treat your employees like humans.

6. "Senior Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work on incredibly interesting and complex problems with highly creative people. Austin office offers new hires many opportunities for growth. Employees routinely have management support to look for growth opportunities and the Austin office offers a rotational program for employees who have been with the company over a year.

Cons

Company growth over the past 5 years has added too many opinions (many with little to no experience or authority) and layers of approvals, which delays and/or hampers the decision making process and getting s**t done.

"Great... but not for everyone"

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apple has many great benefits such as insurance, 401k, stock options, tuition reimbursement, EAP, free flu shots and much more. Managers are awesome if you aren't stuck with a micromanager. Free Apple branded gifts are sent quarterly and the discounts are awesome

Cons

Having a bad work/life balance can be taxing, especially when you work from home. You will always work on the weekends and there isn't much room for advancement. Burnout is inevitable and it is a high stress environment, paired with strict metrics. Tools are breaking all the time and surveys that aren't about your service still count against you. If you are not in the college program, you have to do shift bids to pick your shifts and it will be even harder to have a work/life balance. Time off is EARNED (not a bucket) and you are penalized for being sick, scheduling time off in advance can be a pain since the allowances suck.

Advice to Management

Hire managers internally that are capable of doing the job. Some managers do not have experience as advisors so they cannot be good mentors to those that report to them. Get rid of vendors because most of the time, they don't do things correctly and it aggravates the customer

"Education Supervisor"

Current Employee - Education Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Education Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, amazing products, good benefits

Cons

Stressful, no work life balance, poor salary

Advice to Management

Invest heavily in your people, acknowledge hard work and efforts, better communication, really focus on career development

9. "Great Company Values, Cares about all People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great job environment, great benefits, great people to work with.

Cons

Could pay a little more equal to the industry in some sectors but in others they meet expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep the attention on those who excel. They will stay with the company for a lifetime.

"Changed a lot over the years"

Former Employee - Mac Genius in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good discounts, pay is better than other "retail" jobs

Cons

The job can be grueling. Career opportunities are held as carrots in front of aspiring employees to try and keep them engaged with little to no actual advancement potential.

No "upward movement" possibilities from retail to corporate regardless of experience, all movement is lateral.

The quickest way to get an actual promotion is to leave, get the experience elsewhere and then come back.

Promotions that do come are often based on personal relationships with leadership as opposed to quality of work.

New employees can often make MUCH more than you regardless of your prior experience.

Advice to Management

Fix pay discrepancies in markets affected by new pay rates. It's causing severe amounts of unrest within your walls and causing tenured employees to take jobs elsewhere.

Change upwards advancement policies.

Showing 416 of 11,723 reviews