Apple Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Austin, TX Area

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • Would prefer a better work life balance (in 680 reviews)

• lots of hours, no work life balance (in 117 reviews)

1. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - AppleCare At-Home Advisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - AppleCare At-Home Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair, fun, driven, challenging, positive, great pay, amazing benefits

Cons

Honestly none that I can think of

"Good ole apple"

Former Contractor - Front End Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Front End Supervisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing food , some great people good hours, decent pay, good healthcare

Cons

It is very hard for people of color to move up in this cafeteria. Let alone to even get hired on fulltime. They dont appreciate you speaking out on any issues.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes a little. Out of 150 employees there are 4 black people. Some who cant even get a leg up because they arent even considered.

"Worst management I've ever experienced"

Former Contractor - Surveyor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Surveyor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Some great and unique benefits are offered to some contract positions.

Cons

The worst management I have ever experienced. Sincere lack of communication and interpersonal skills. Extreme micromanagement and huge lack of trust. I have never been so unhappy with a job before. I only stayed on the full year for the benefits, but by the end I could barely even enjoy those. The head lead of the project I worked on has some serious issues. Be prepared to experience belittlement and an extreme amount of frustration. You are very strongly urged to work overtime, but the managers never flat-out say those words so they can cover themselves if need be. Some contractors get extremely favorable attention if the manager likes him or her personally. If the manager does not like you, you will absolutely know it. This created such a toxic environment that pushed everyone to compete, harshly review one another, and treat one another poorly. It's been a while since my contract ended, and I still feel strongly that this is a terrible place to work for contractors. Apple doesn't want to be placed into a higher tax bracket, so instead of hiring on more skilled workers as full-time employees, they endlesssly cycle through new contractors who are then somehow expected to preform as a seasoned employee. By the time you truly get it, you're out. You also have to constantly check your paycheck to make sure you were actually paid the full amount and hassle the company in charge of pay NON STOP to actually get it. I started grinding my teeth regularly, and I'm a pretty chill person.

To summarize it all, this job was one major headache and I wouldn't wish all the negativity brought on by the position on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

I could never give proper advice to my head lead with this 20 word minimum. The list is too long.

5. "Order Support Administrator"

Former Employee - Order Support Administrator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Order Support Administrator in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Very nice building facility and amenities
    -frequent, generous parties/events
    -Great medical/vision/dental benefits
    -Looks good to have Apple on your resume

Cons

-Micro-management
    -Lack of upward mobility
    -Over-training due to constant micro-changes to policies and best-practices
    -mindless weekly or bi-monthly meetings with direct manager that don't result in anything
    -Low pay

6. "Audit Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relationships with people and commitment to excellence.

Cons

Not everyone committed and aligned with same thing.

"Unhealthy"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple as a contractor

Pros

Lots of freebbie FTE perks

Cons

Company has lost desire to work together toward achieving goals. More interested in impressing you with their smarts.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.

"Awful schedules, lack of respect"

Current Contractor - Fraud Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Fraud Prevention Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse company, generally okay culture, the huge cafeteria is neat if you actually have a schedule where you can take advantage of it.

Cons

The Adecco reps have zero respect for their contract hires. Prepare to be treated like a child at every step, and have them regularly dangle your employment on a string if you're not meeting expectations. At least one of them attends every single team meeting just to give the same spiel about attendance and company policy. Just awful.

Shift options and general work/life balance are terrible. After training as a contractor, all schedules go through the entire weekend, usually on second shift. You will be expected to work through all holidays, with no extra pay, while the entire rest of the company (including customer service!) gets the day off. Add to that, the amount of time you can take unpaid(!) time off is arbitrarily restricted. There is just no way to plan your life around this job.

The pay is decent, but the metrics expectations are insane for the wages. I've been paid more at easygoing, low-stress companies. Here, you need to meet constantly accelerating expectations for total cases worked per hour while still maintaining high accuracy ratings. You can literally be the most productive person on your team and still be told to work more cases. It's absurd.

If your only options for working here are via Fraud Prevention contracting, avoid at all costs. This company has no regard for a department regularly saving them literal millions of dollars every month.

Advice to Management

Realize how important your Fraud Prevention team is to the company as a whole, reduce your churn rate for new hires, and either lower metrics expectations or increase base pay. Also, teach your Adecco reps to have some actual respect for the people they hire.

"Senior Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The corporate company is a wonderful powerful force in the world that makes great products

Cons

The managers. Managers on all levels view the employees as problems not assets.

Advice to Management

Do not view your employees as broken replaceable numbers. They are people with lives as well and responsibilities that go beyond the job.

10. "Contract positions leave a lot to be desired"

Current Contractor - Maps Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Maps Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The office environment is calm, respectful, and quiet. I hardly ever get stressed at work, in large part because my team leader is super chill and awesome.

Cons

Contractors are excluded from many of the perks available to full time employees. The culture of secretiveness and opaqueness makes it hard to meet other people from other departments/teams, and networking to try to work your way up is pretty much impossible--at least for contractors.

Advice to Management

Invest in replacing short term contracts with full time positions. You will get employees who care more about their work and who stick around beyond the point when they become experienced and competent in their positions.

11. "Localization Project Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to to work. Life and work balance is great as well as all the benefits that come with the job.

Cons

I really can't think of any downside of working at Apple. I love it!

Showing 375 of 9,635 reviews