Apple Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL Area

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Great for building skills and a change of mind"

Former Employee - Retail Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Leadership, while often understaffed to support thoroughly, is excellent and continues to improve.
    The people you work with are brilliant and utilize talents outside of the store environment that will always impress. I've watched so many people excel at their job and do great things, building skills for life and next career choices.
    Benefits and compensation, despite what people say, are generous if used to their fullest. Most employees neglect the extras and focus only on the base salary.

Cons

Working in the retail store is challenging because of the odd hours that retail requires. However, managers are willing to work with teams to find the best out of retail scheduling chaos.
    Senior leaders may not always have the Apple knowledge base when they first start out and this makes it challenging to lean on them completely. Big picture, Apple hires great talent for these positions.
    It has become harder and harder for managers to expand out of their roles and learn and develop new skill sets outside of the retail four walls. Gaining career experience opportunities can be challenging as the requirements for many relevant step ups require that you be a store leader first, which just reinforces the idea of climbing up a ladder, something that culturally does not sit well with how we do business in general, especially at the Retail level.

Advice to Management

Continue to support leaders in the stores and provide resources to aide them. They want to do fantastic things but are stretched thin constantly. At the retail stores, we try to create special moments for our employees and our customers. Corporate needs to try to create magical Apple moments across the board for our teams as well.
    Also, there should be internal recruiters who are looking out for above and beyond talent in our retail stores and seeking to challenge and deepen their responsibilities across the company. Leaders in the store don't always know what would be a best fit for other roles across the company. Sometimes retail is the in for many employees but unless people feel continuously challenged over time, they start seeking an out.

2. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most diverse environment I've ever worked in and Apple clearly strives for that.
    Good pay, with consistent raises.
    Uniform is literally a shirt--all else when it comes to appearance is fair game and encouraged.
    Product and program discounts.
    Freedom to work at your own pace on the sales floor.
    No major focus on individual sales quotas.
    Career advancement opportunities within retail and corporate structures are encouraged and available, though competitive.
    Good structure overall.

Cons

Lengthy training.
    Complicated management structures made what should have been simple processes (e.g. changing availability) lengthy and frustrating due to lack of communication between higher-ups.
    Management styles were often inconsistent, with some managers a joy to work with and others straight up combative, rude, and impossible to work with.
    Long hours can be exhausting. Being part-time felt like full-time quite often.

Advice to Management

Focus on trust and bettering communication. Use language that is less accusatory when addressing issues or asking questions of non-managers.

3. "good job"

Current Employee - Apple Genius in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Apple Genius in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple (More than 5 years)

Pros

amazing benefits, ok discounts, vacation time if you're full time, sick time and tuition reimbursement for part time and full time.

Cons

depending on the store its either a loving environment or toxic. you gotta really drink the apple juice to get a promotion. its also just a game of who sucks up to the managers the most

Advice to Management

pay more attention to who really works and who is just sucking up. a

5. "Some great, some bad."

Former Employee - Client Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's Apple. Has great benefits.

Cons

If your product is not a priority, then it doesn't get much attention. Lack of insight into roadmap can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Allow for more communication between sales, account management and product.

6. "Apple technical specialist"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture, experience, and people are great and endorse a great working environment to be a part of. To be around people so knowledgeable is great.

Cons

There is a tendency to have to fit the intellectual perspective of people at the job, which is ok and I enjoy cultures like that; however, does not allow for open thoughts on opposing views

Advice to Management

Engage in intellectual diversity

"Fantastic Benefits, Some Conflicts"

Former Employee - Mac Genius in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is very competitive, and benefits are unparalleled. Lots of opportunities for career experiences at corporate, room to grow rapidly inside store.

Cons

Despite all protests to the contrary, Apple Retail can still exhibit the worst of retail management, and areas of management focus swing wildly depending on how the managers are being evaluated in their own performance reviews.

"Director IPhone Channel"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive, Iphone Channel in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive, Iphone Channel in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great to have the Apple name on your resume, good benefits and lots of free product. Educational reimbursement, smart people, collaboration with enterprise reps

Cons

Tim Cook has no idea what goes on below the ranks. For a company that says its diverse its corporate culture is not. They brought a guy over from Samsung to grow our market share but Samsung is dominating the enterprise , seems like a failed approach. Too many mid level managers and it's a boys network. Shame on you Tim!

Advice to Management

Get rid of the middle, too many managers, too many sellers , the product sells itself and the smartphone category is saturated . Samsung had a strategy, we don't. #hopeisnotastrategy and hiring former blackberry managers aren't going to miraculously change what it is which is market saturation

"Great part time job opportunity"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very relaxed dress code & the tshirts we had to wear were so comfy. The pay was great, too!

Cons

It's not as fun working there since the iPhone. I started in 2006 when people cared about the computers and software. Now not so much.

Advice to Management

Keep the pay competitive.

10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Expert in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Expert in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working environment. The people who work at the Apple Store are very intelligent, diverse and enthusiastic. Awesome benefits! A lot of space for growing and exploring different opportunities within the company.

Cons

Even though it's amazing to work at an Apple Store, it's still retail establishment.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart and diverse people.

11. "Mac Specialist"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the best humans I've met. The culture is one of growth and support of each associate's individualism and potential.

Cons

This is a retail position with retail hours and a very "particular" customer base.

Showing 163 of 10,328 reviews