Apple Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Working for Apple has had its ups and downs."

Current Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, opportunity for personal and professional development, wonderful coworkers and a fun work environment.

Cons

little upward mobility. Poor communication between corporate and retail leading to foolish errors and waste of resources. Employees who excel are treated the same as employees who don't try.

Advice to Management

Be honest, and treat your employees like adults, rather than high school students.

2. "At Home Advisor"

Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Work from home. Friendly managers.

Cons

Everything you do is monitored to the second.

Advice to Management

Stop adding new tools and removing old ones that work.

3. "Apple Specialist"

Current Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun group of people to work with.

Cons

Schedule all over the place, although to be expected with retail, but can still be tough with work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

5. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - AppleCare Senior Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - AppleCare Senior Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, benefits & compensation for a customer service role, work in your PJ's from home, save on no commute

Cons

Customer facing role is very mentally draining and monotonous

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for career advancement within AHA

"Better for the short term"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. I've had some really great people skills instilled in me. I'm not naturally tech savvy so working at apple keeps me up to date.

Cons

The idea of the culture Apple wants in the retail environment is such a good one. Unfortunately, it doesn't get carried out very often. Most of the tenured people there hate their job but have a hard time moving on to another job with equal or better pay and benefits. Retail is retail and if you work at the Genius Bar (like I do) you will most likely encounter several angry, rude, mean, unreasonable and entitled acting people. They will suck all the apple juice right out of you and you will be exhausted and burnt out and depressed. If you are an empath (again, like me) you will be very good at your job but over time, it will be hard on you and you won't even recognize yourself if you don't get out before the negative energy eats your soul.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, being friendly and inviting (saying hello and good morning every now and then could really make a difference).

7. "I LOVE this company"

Former Contractor - Apple Certified Support Professional in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Apple Certified Support Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Apple as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the only Corporation I have ever worked for. I appreciate that they give you unlimited training and give you time to train. I like all of the products and learning about how they work is like a puzzle every day.

Cons

I worked in Apple Retail in the early 00s. We used to get bonuses and awesome deals on computers and product like almost for free. This does not really effect me now. But, I feel badly for the people at the stores because I feel they don't get paid enough or compensated well.

Advice to Management

There is nothing I would really change

8. "Genius"

Former Employee - Apple Genius in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Genius in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits (i.e. health/dental/vision/401k/stock options), great training which leads to other careers.

Cons

Consistently get yelled at by customers for everything, no weekends.

Advice to Management

Understand that customers service at Apple is touch. It takes a huge toll on us mentally. Understandably, customers come first... BUT, if you take better care of your employees, they will take better care of the customers.

"Global supply Manager"

Current Employee - GSM in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - GSM in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work enviroment,benfits, freedom and recognition

Cons

Your suppose to work and get results. No balance work and work.

"Growth feels like a myth"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall your team that you work with is phenomenal. Everyone is so uniquely skilled and friendly.

Cons

High stress environment. Very few progress quickly through the ranks. If you don't see yourself moving up in six months then good luck getting a new position in the next 3 years.

Advice to Management

Allow for more growth. The amount of stagnation occurring is jaw dropping. I have seen individuals doing the exact same job / position for over 5 years and still being told they aren't comfortable in their role yet.

"Genius"

Former Employee - Apple Genius in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Genius in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The biggest pro about this job are the people you work with. I have been blessed with great work environments in my life. Apple retail has amazing and diverse people. If it were just up to hanging with my coworkers, doing great work and having fun I'd be running to work to be there every day.

Apple will provide some great tools that can be used in your personal life and later professional life. If you follow how they teach it their perspectives on "Fearless feedback and assuming positive intent" can be incredibly useful.

If you are young and can get in it's a great place to start, learn some skills move up a little, if you can, and then use it as a resume stuffer.

Cons

This is Apple Retail - its not really Apple. They would like you to believe that the company is one big family but the retail side is kind of a step child. The vacation structure is different as are benefits. There is NO PROFIT SHARING. and also no commission. So even if you individually do 1million in sales, you still get just your salary.

They do not value experience or tenure. They appreciate it, like pat on the back 'great job' appreciate. But do not value it. There is no significant compensation other than additional vacation time for high levels of experience. That being the case it is good to get out sooner rather than later. They do not cultivate and give incentives for people to stay. The longer you stay, with no upward movement, the more demoralized you will get.

Tenure and Experience and Hard work DO NOT equal promotion. Apple managers have a secret recipe on who they favor or do not. If you do not fit into a management team's vision, YOU WILL NOT PROGRESS. PERIOD. It is possible to move up and sometimes dramatically if you do fit what they want. I have seen both very worthy and very unworthy (based on their effectiveness after promotion) people promoted.

Management is often hired from outside the company which causes a severe cultural mismatch and tremendous frustration. Potential leaders are not developed and people from outside with managers titles who might not click with Apple values are brought in on a regular basis.

Apple essentially asks you to develop yourself. That goes for managers on down. That is an upside for people who use the Apple language and style and live it, sometimes like an automaton. However if you do not speak their development language and feed it back to them, even if you have vast leadership potential they have no way to cultivate you. I've seen people with incredible potential bypassed, grow demoralized and leave because the company cannot find ways to develop people internally, They generally overburden managers and employees so any possible time you have for development is taken away or you have to essentially not do your job and overburden others to make time to do the development things they ask.

The company improves their systems which is helpful but essentially is only trying to make everyone (on the technical support side) take more and more people. Work in the technical support side is a thankless job often and more than it was. You are asked to help more and more people while somehow connecting personally and not making it "transactional". And often the customers are great but they can also be awful. Not know which you'll get EVERY 10-15 minutes!! Is emotionally draining day after day. And with managers who've never done the job they don't understand the emotional toll the job takes.

I appreciated my time at Apple but hit a number of walls of demoralization. As did most of the amazing people around me, managers included. I managed to reinvigorate myself but with every leadership change you are essentially at square one again having to re-build your credibility. I probably should have gotten out sooner but Apple Retail also has a way of sucking you in for longer than you expect... it can get comfortable because of the amazing co-workers.

Advice to Management

to be successful a company need to cultivate and reward deep institutional knowledge. People who have been somewhere a long time can give insight and depth that constant new employees, moving them in, up and out cannot give. Apple sales, service and moral in general suffers because of it. NPS goes down.

Come up with development strategies that actually value different management styles not gust one that are heavy on "command skills" and regurgitation of Apple Speak... (Lominger)

Reward people commensurately with their tenure and value tenure in general. A significant pay increase to senior staff would go a long way for retention as would PROFIT SHARING.

Build in some inefficiency so employees can breath and regain their emotional energy trying to help frustrated and angry customers. Sometimes too much efficiency sucks the life (personal connection, helping others) out of the room.

Sadly after 15 years it seems to be getting worse. The new roles announced as I was leaving sounded like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The best three things you can do serious compensation increases, better development (with direct actual led development) and profit sharing (better incentives)

Just using the Apple name is as tired as buying a new iPhone every year...

Showing 267 of 10,080 reviews