Apple Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Reviews | Glassdoor

Apple Mac Specialist (Apple Store) Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Mac Specialist (Apple Store)

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great benefits as soon as you start (in 1026 reviews)

• work from home - no commute - decent pay (in 224 reviews)

1. "Friendly"

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Reedley, CA
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Reedley, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement in the work place. You're always learning something new everyday. The atmosphere is great. Salary is great you always have opportunity to increase salary

Cons

Nothing! Going into work, there is always something new going on. Even when there is down time, staff is still busy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Mac Specialist"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

The people I worked with were some of the best humans I've met. The culture is one of growth and support of each associate's individualism and potential.

Cons

This is a retail position with retail hours and a very "particular" customer base.

3. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY

Pros

I believe in that Apple culture and how it prides it self on Customer Service

Cons

Not given the opportunity to advance

Advice to Management

No favoritism

"Corporate is hard work. Retail is frustrating work."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Brandon, FL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to play with the technology.
    If you can survive retail at Apple, you can get a job in ANY other retail environment easily.
    Profit sharing is nice.

Cons

Needing open availability in our market was ridiculous. They wanted use to keep our entire schedule open for them, yet they only scheduled us 20 hours max. You can't have an additional part time job, or even go to school. You have to work AROUND them, they WILL NOT work around you. At All. I was forced to quit my part time job teaching children in order to sell Apple products.

People who stab each other in the back often rise up the ranks. Which is sad.

Advice to Management

Losen up a bit. You treat us as if we should be happy to work ten dollars an hour at a prestigious company and are offended when we say we need to supplement our income with another job. Don't be such a control freak.

5. "Being a Specialist at Apple"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Towson, MD

Pros

Flexible hours that work with school. Great benefits. Good discounts.

Cons

Hard to move up quickly. They mainly hire from outside the company rather then within. Managers change every couple months so hard to get use to a certain style.

Advice to Management

Stop quitting.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Tampa, FL

Pros

Incredible co workers. Great company, fantastic benefits.

Cons

Glass Ceiling for advancement. Next steps are leadership or stay put until you hit the top of your pay band.

Advice to Management

Need to find more ways to keep people motivated to stay. Our soul is our people and we need to keep our people longer

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY

Pros

Great company to work for. Benefits are nice: health insurance even at part time, fitness reimbursement, monthly travel stipend, student loan refinancing (through partner company), etc. Not based on commission so theirs no pressure to sell.

Cons

Retail at any level is tough. You do have some great customers, but also some terrible ones. It really depends on the store you are in, some have great leadership, some make it very political to move up. There is rampant sexism (harder for women to get promoted or taken seriously) in my store. For a 20 something college student or recent grad it's a great gig, getting into late 20s it's no longer feasible. Their raises are basically cost of living not based on talent, experience etc.

"Specialist"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Christiana, DE
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Christiana, DE

I worked at Apple part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great team of employees

Cons

Completely changed after Steve was gone
    All corporate micromanagement

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and treat us like individuals, not replaceable parts to your ecosystem.

9. "Challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in New York, NY

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team atmosphere and a strong company culture create an environment in which you feel comfortable and thus are more likely to succeed. They are great teachers and are patient with you, which allows you to focus on the customer service and the quality of the product being presented, rather than being worried about your future employment.

Cons

A little bit too much micro managing at times and work/life balance can be sacrificed in order to help the common cause.

"Best in The Retail Industry"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the benefits were insane. WAY better than what I'm getting at white collar startups right now.
    I got to work in an environment that was full of energy, and interact with new people all the time, which meant always learning new things, which was great. Very stimulating environment, and a larger (albeit slow-moving) corporate attitude that did its best to take very good care of its employees.

Cons

Was sometimes skeptical that taking the best case of its employees it could -- for retail-- also meant taking the worst care of its employees it could get away with while still being the best place to work in retail.

Management at my Flagship store had behaviors of managers rather than leaders- they seemed unable of actually empathizing with workers underneath them, esp. part time workers. they made decisions that were best for the business without trying to explain or excuse their negative effects on the employees' livelihoods.

If you don't want to work in retail, or at HQ, the career opportunities kind of fall short. The way the ladder is built in Apple Retail, there is a lot of need for employees at the bottom of it, and not a ton at the top.

Advice to Management

Communicate better to employees- specifically, consider how your policies affect the least privileged of your staff, and figure out how to treat them like autonomous, thinking, people in the midst of a business that can't help but care about its bottom line. I'm talking about communicating policies directly to people, and communicating respectfully.