Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Beautiful Disaster"

Former Employee - Business Leader
    Former Employee - Business Leader

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, People, Freedom, Trust, Great Technology

Cons

New ire executives that do not understand the culture. Coming from clothing stores and trying to change the world while eliminating positions.

Advice to Management

Get back to the core values Steve built this company on. Apple 12 years ago felt like it was magical, walking into work every day was a gift, not a requirement. It no longer feels that way, after 9 wonderful years (the last 3 horrible) and working with the best leaders imaginable I had to leave. This had nothing to do with my leaders it had to do with executive decisions. Watching "Business" disappear from retail stores and the idea that business was no longer important or could be streamlined was my last straw. When the customers began communicating negative experiences and I would send them up the chain -- I never received ONE response. One specific customer who had an annual spend of 1.3 million dollars.

2. "Loved my job, hated the management"

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- You get to work on best in class products and with some of the smartest people in the industry.
    - Good health benefits
    - Employee discount on Apple products

Cons

Too much CYA middle management only concerned with managing upwards. Extreme lack of empathy, flexibility and growth opportunities. No decision making power- that rests only with executives, which means your brilliant ideas often go nowhere.

3. "Apple Retail is becoming more and more like any other real job."

Current Employee - Genius
    Current Employee - Genius

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Discount on most Apple products
    • Stock program
    • Education Benefits
    • Healthcare options

Cons

• No work/life balance
    • Understaffed often
    • Inconsistent training
    • Insane focus on accessory sales for all departments
    • Daily struggle to maintain positive environment

Advice to Management

Care more. Stop chasing every penny in the building and get back to helping customers choose Apple. Stop assuming negative intent for employees and their actions during the day. Micromanagement, trying to get every employee to help a least a few extra people per hour, does not a happy workplace make.

"Fahion Valley"

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health, dental and vision benefits, fitness reimbursement, stock options, 401k matching, peers, enriching customers lives,

Cons

Management shows favoritism by tapping employees to apply for postitons that have yet to be posted, majority of management is under qualified or checked out. New hires paid more than seasoned employees and when confronted management will say their hands are tied. Technical specialist role will take a toll on you mentally, emotionally and physically. You are expected to go into a new appointment with out proper time to reset yourself. Every 10-15 minutes you go into a new problem with a new person and a new attitude and sometimes you are juggling multiple customers at the same time. Customers mostly take the frustrations they feel about their products, the warranty and software and direct it towards you the Apple retail employee. Lack to training on new products

Advice to Management

Believe in what you are selling. You are selling Apple beliefs and brand to the employees. How can you "inspire" when you are leading the floor? All you are doing is standing in the corner making sure employees went to break on time. Why would an employee want to be at the store when it is so apparent managers don't want to be there? Why would an employee bother to learn about our products when you don't?

5. "Global Security"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apple has good benefit plans.

Cons

Salary is under market rate and under rate for the type of work performed. Treats employees like contractors in a dictatorship environment. The organization does not value experience and hard work.

Advice to Management

Learn from other departments outside of Global Security. Lose the dictatorship mindset and treat people fairly.

"At-Home AppleCare - Not as good as it sounds"

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Hartville, OH
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Hartville, OH

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great pay and benefits relative to the work.
    -Managers will hear you out, they do not ignore complaints, but ultimately there is little they can do.
    -Discounts on products, including a significant one you get to use every 3 years.

Cons

I am going to start with how it feels to work here. First I should say, I LIKE Apple products and own one or two. That being said, the culture at Apple feels like a professional cult. There is a definite feeling of being watched... all of the time, and then being "corrected" whenever you think the wrong way.
    Examples:

-Chats being monitored - any negative statements are immediately addressed by a manager you were not even talking to. (e.g. saying in a chat "I am pissed that I am not allowed to request Christmas off" will be followed by a manager messaging you and saying "Let's remember to keep things positive!")
    -Your call/phone status is always on a timer.. including going "idle" (which is what you have to do if you need to go to the bathroom or something so you don't miss a call) and if you are idle for more than 3 minutes.. well you be contacted by the manager monitoring you that day.
    -Your issued iMac is setup to allow a manager to view your screen at any time without notification to you, so you never know when they are looking at your screen.
    -Recorded calls
    -Constant feeling of secrets you cannot know, like being assigned new managers every 2-3 months, or having teams broken up and re-assigned for not obvious reason.

The list gets longer and shorter depending on who your manager is.. some are really invasive and some are really laid back.

Some other more general cons are:
    -little to no flexibility in schedule, it is basically a lottery on what schedule you get and your requests or availability have no way of being addressed. I asked about moving my schedule to accommodate a single college class and I was told there was no way to do that because they "do not control the scheduling".
    -no break in calls for entirety of shift and no ability to walk away from your at-home desk.
    -Working holidays is required, they actually have a vacation "blackout" period that covers the Thanksgiving to Christmas to New Year's period where you are not even allowed to request vacation.
    -Only robotic ways of evaluating performance and being rewarded for good performance so if you are doing well, but the simplistic metric system is unable to analyze that.. then you are not doing well and no further opportunities will be presented to you.
    -Troubleshooting and resolving issues comes last in priorities, with priorities being to keep calls under 15 minutes and manipulate customers into "feeling" like they have been helped.. whether you actually solved a problem for them or not.

I actually think in this position, it is somewhat of a necessary evil, because they are ensuring no time is wasted. With as many employees as they have doing this and for the pay they receive.. it is a requirement to ensure that people aren't just slacking off under no supervision in this at-home environment. However.. personally I find it the environment to feel dehumanizing and exhausting.

Advice to Management

Be a little less controlling and manipulative.. it is terrible for morale and fulfillment in this position. I started at Apple because I enjoyed helping people resolve issues on their devices and I found that Apple wanted me to mill through and make people FEEL like that received good service even if it was misleading.

"Some organizations are great... others not so much"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some benefits and work life balance

Cons

- Business lead (warm chair environment)
    - no growth
    - crappy competitive environment

Advice to Management

stop creating politics

8. "Good Company but needs work"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and discounts. Easy job and relaxed environment which helped employees to be themselves and thrive. Good locations and hours. Discounts were amazing from cell service to actual products, it was the best of any other retailer out there.

Cons

Nothing was black and white. Everything was in the gray. Every store would do things differently which caused customer complaints. Try getting more tangible feedback and not just personal feelings from employees. It’s called positive intent, it goes a long way.

Advice to Management

Consistency is key. Don’t show favoritism and focus on the entire team. Not every store is the same and I’m sure there are great stores with great managers, but listen to your employees and look for specifics not jus personal feelings and assumptions.

9. "Doesn't invest in employees"

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

Nothing that beats other companies.

Cons

Don't expect anything other than serving business interests i.e. no personal development, no recreation, no learning unless its related to your current work. No flexibility to move/work for different team.
    No promotion. You can be stagnated in your current position for years inspite of working day and night.
    Smart work is more than hard work.

10. "Apple"

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with latest technology and the Discounts,

Cons

Retail life, Overworked and under paid. Management only cares about numbers and creating promotors.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.

Showing 736 of 11,723 reviews