Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 25, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

"Micromanage ruins the Apple Culture"

Current Employee - AHA Developer Program Support in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - AHA Developer Program Support in Remote, OR

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Apple brings in the most energetic, passionate, creative, flexible group of talented people to work together. It's the best atmosphere to work with such fun and supportive team!

Cons

The bilingual mandarin team has the worst management team ever. Top manager has no management working experience prior and no proper training after. Which leads to encourage the micromanaging team managers who overlooked the numbers calculated by computer systems. Expecting all the advisors work like a robot with no flexibility and customer service means nothing as long as it takes less time to complete more tasks.
    Most of managers are outdated from the technical and front line customer service soft skill. We've been directed to lie about the fact of the issue and provide useless solutions just to give the management team more time to figure out the better handling ways.

Advice to Management

Policy is the base to have the standard so we all know where is the line. Flexibility is what makes the team more developed, creative, supportive, absorbing and stronger. Team members are losing faith and direction due to the discouraging management and that's why we already lost 20% of the members and still more about to leave the job!

2. "IT's alright"

Current Employee - Emc Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Emc Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good vibe, talented people, good pay

Cons

to many policy, people hunt for credit but not responsibility

"Better for the short term"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. I've had some really great people skills instilled in me. I'm not naturally tech savvy so working at apple keeps me up to date.

Cons

The idea of the culture Apple wants in the retail environment is such a good one. Unfortunately, it doesn't get carried out very often. Most of the tenured people there hate their job but have a hard time moving on to another job with equal or better pay and benefits. Retail is retail and if you work at the Genius Bar (like I do) you will most likely encounter several angry, rude, mean, unreasonable and entitled acting people. They will suck all the apple juice right out of you and you will be exhausted and burnt out and depressed. If you are an empath (again, like me) you will be very good at your job but over time, it will be hard on you and you won't even recognize yourself if you don't get out before the negative energy eats your soul.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, being friendly and inviting (saying hello and good morning every now and then could really make a difference).

"Sink or Swim"

Former Contractor - Localization Producer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Contractor - Localization Producer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary was nearly twice as my previous job with a similar position.

Cons

The worst company culture I have ever encountered.
    Senior employees with stress levels off the charts, sending faux "urgent" emails at every hour, acting like the end of the world is near. You are supposed to be glued to your phone at all times, checking at every hour, weekends included. "Sink or swim" mentality applied to the newcomers, and a very cold, unwelcoming environment all around.

Advice to Management

Middle management is not invested in training the newcomers, therefore the company has stopped being innovative. The whole "think different" concept has been lost.

"Micromanagement Extremists Horrible Culture Unhealthy Egos Huge Disparity of True Talent"

Current Employee - Mac Expert in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Mac Expert in Austin, TX

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good food? Workout Gym? Benefits are above par when compared to the rest of the world suffering from horrible benefits.

Cons

Apple speaks about reinforcing and representing this facade of an amazing culture, but in actuality the culture is horrible. I have never seen more unhealthy egos together in my life, and I have yet to be impressed with a single person yet. It's a micromanagement nightmare for anyone with any true passion and vision of doing great things. The amount of inflated and fake reviews on here written by people literally hired to just post reviews is astonishing. I don't know what the company is like in California, but in Austin, TX it is horrible. Literally it looks like a bad episode of the Walking Dead. You don't see anyone smiling, and no one is happy to be there. It's a campus comprising of mostly contract workers who are underpaid, overworked, and treated like trash. I would absolutely not recommend to accept any job here in Austin, TX.

Advice to Management

None of the management in Austin, TX has any vision. You are all whipping posts, and you carry the process down to the workers in-house. It's sad. I have no advice, and am happy to just move on to a much better company. You are all suffering from short man syndrome.

7. "procurement manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Apple name is a sure plus

Cons

below average pay and benefits

Advice to Management

be considerate

"QA Test Engineer"

Current Employee - QA Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - QA Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working in between smart people helps to learn new things

Cons

Contractors are not treated well.

"Hell"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, they offer health insurance for part time employees, however the deductible is 1500$. Fitness reimbursement, stock options, 401k.

Cons

Working Apple retail it's a particular kind of hell. As a technician you get to deal with entitled angry customers that are told "just go to the apple store, they'll give you a free phone". They expect you to go above and beyond and at the same time they give you hard time if you spend more than 15 minutes with each customer.

As a sales person, you don't make commission. You'd potentially make more money by selling phones at a carrier store instead.

Apple just got rid of the training in California for the Genius team and Creative team. If you wanted to work your way until being flown there that is no longer possible.

It is extremely hard to jump from Apple retail to corporate. They hire externally.
    Also it is extremely impossible to climb your way up, since they bring managers from other stores instead of promoting from within.

"Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even for their part-time employees, the health benefits are pretty stellar. They're open to all different styles of dress and it's okay to have stretched ears and tattoos. The starting pay for a sales specialist is much higher than most other retail jobs.

Cons

The store I work at is full of high school-like antics and many/most of the managers play obvious favoritism. Because it's frequently stressed how people "can't get fired", managers will help cultivate an environment where people will get forced out due to feeling so uncomfortable in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Stop encouraging hostile work environments. Male managers should not be trying to hit on the youngest female co-workers to the point that even customers notice.

11. "Specialist"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Naples, FL

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benifits for working part time.

Cons

Lack of leadership among management.

Advice to Management

Actually do so work.

Showing 648 of 10,099 reviews