Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0

10,540 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits Fantastic team Flexible holiday (in 990 reviews)

• work from home - no commute - decent pay (in 242 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Company as Meticulous as Their Products!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, Amazing People, Great Work, Awesome Opportunities, Excellent Experiences, Great atmospheres in a beautiful store, no matter where you're working!

Cons

None! I had one of the best times ever at this company. Hopefully I stay to go on to corporate!

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work!

2. "We make products that poeple enjoy buying and using."

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The people we work with are great and I can't imagine life w/o the products. However, they are a tool that needs to be taught and used.

Cons

You have to be careful because this job can take over your life if you are not careful. You need to learn to seperate the 2 and learn to say no when it is necessary.

Advice to Management

If I was Senior Management and I really wanted to hire a person I would give clear and concise advice as to what I expect and need from them as a whole.

3. "Working at Apple is the hardest job you will ever love."

Current Employee - Product Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Cupertino, CA

Pros

When you work at a place like Apple you have an opportunity to change the way the world works with innovation.

Cons

The people at Apple are living on the bleeding edge, we don't know what the future holds until we invent it.

Advice to Management

Finding ways to engage more people proactively but still maintaining secrecy.

"Not enough time to grow"

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Albany, NY

Pros

Apple honors and respects all of it's staff for who they are. They encourage and support creativity and diversity. The Grow Your Own programs are a wonderful opportunity for staff to gain new skills and move up in the organization. Apple's dedication to ensuring that it's employees are paid for every minute of work related activity is amazing. I recall a recent memo that reminded us all that we should be clocked in when reading our apple.com email, corporate bulletins on iCommunicate or even changing into our uniform t-shirts. I can't think of any other retailer that is this concerned with equity and fairness in the way its employees are treated.

Cons

The downside to working at Apple? Everyone wants you to fix their iPod! But seriously, There is one thing that I think really could use improvement, which is providing scheduled time to study material on iLearn or the the Grown Your Own programs. I am in the Grow Your Own Creative program and I find it very difficult to find time to study the GYO material while I am scheduled to work in the store. When I am on the clock I am supposed to be on the floor working with customers. Things are rarely slow enough to leave the floor to study in Back of House for more than a few minutes. We are not supposed to review study materials on our lunch break because we are not on the clock and should not be engaged in any work related activity. It's a bit of a catch-22. Btw, when I say that we should have scheduled study time, I'm thinking of maybe an hour a week. Nothing extreme.

Advice to Management

I really can't think of anything that I didn't mention in the previous section. Time to study is really the big thing for me. Our store has a bit of an issue with getting schedules posted far enough in advance. Staying on top of that would be great. One more suggestion, it would be lovely to be able to access our schedule online. One more other thing. ALL of the ipods should have demo photos, addresses and calendar entries, not just the iPhones. It's just embarrassing to demo an iPod Touch, get to the photo album and have to say, "pictures really look awesome on here, but we don't have any to show you. I can show them to you on an iPhone though. It has the same screen." Likewise the Nano and Classic. We have to be able to show off all of the features. We can't do that effectively without good material to work with.

5. "Apple employees are the rock stars of retail"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Paramus, NJ

Pros

The soul of Apple, and it's strong point, is the people. Everyone you work with is proud and excited to be there. Everyone believes in the product(s) and are extremely knowledgeable about everything Apple. This was the first place I worked where everyone got along, where I made close friends with, and felt proud to be a part of.

Working at the Apple Store isn't because you want to make money; it's because you want to spread the word about the product because its changed your life and you want to help others do the same. I love it when a first time Mac user comes in and realizes that there is something other than the mainstream PC that will not only work for them, but that they'll have fun with. I can't count the times when a customer makes the switch from PC to Mac (or even Zune to iPod) and they come back just to say "hi" or to tell us how great it's working for them. Apple employees are not regular retail workers. We are the rock stars of the retail world. When a customer comes in and asks where something is, we don't just point a finger in the opposite direction. We personally help out customers according to their needs and find them the best solution.

It's a common thing to be on a first name basis with regular customers. I love welcoming people back to the store. They're surprised you remembered them from the one time you helped them out, and that you even remember their name and situation. Working with people at the Apple Store is on a personal level, and that is what makes our customer service excellent.

Cons

The only time I felt there was a downside to working at Apple was when it came for a promotion. Granted, working at Apple means growth and moving up. However, I felt that there were several times that there was favoritism going on, as far as promotions. There have been a couple of instances were those being promoted were very close with management, and many felt that the promotion was more deserved to another employee who worked longer or harder.
    Another similar situation that has happened before would be when an employee is promised a certain promotion or is "next in line" for an opening position, and then it is given to someone else.

Advice to Management

I feel that the management team is one of the best teams I've worked with. Most of the staff at the store became friends. However, there were times when life outside of work interfered with professionalism, such as favoritism with promotions.

6. "Got a techie mind and want benefits doing retail? Work for Apple."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Stanford, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Stanford, CA

Pros

People who put in a set minimum number of hours in Apple retail can actually receive benefits and stock options! I personally didn't benefit from those pluses of working in Apple retail, but I am happy to say that Apple retail managers are extremely personable and accommodating. I worked a regular 9-to-5 job and took on the Apple job to help out with holiday bills. After the holiday season ended they allowed me to minimize my retail schedule to just once a week. Others in my position loved their jobs as well, and the best Mac Specialists were always recognized for whenever they went above and beyond. It was a fun place, and honestly, I only kept the weekend job because I liked the people so much.

Cons

Apple's a popular place with plenty of skeptics and crazy "I want to know the inside story" fanatics. Like any retail job, you've got to deal with some pretty offbeat and belligerent customers every once in a while. A popular question is "So when is X coming out?" Sometimes you feel like a holder of secrets because you just can't give information to customers. Other times, prospective customers treat you as if you are on a commission (which Mac Specialists are not), and their attitudes and pursuit for cheaper prices are geared to put you on the defensive. Working with those customers isn't a whole lot of fun, but it is a good challenge. Once when I was finished working with a difficult customer for two hours straight, my manager took me for a walk and bought me some tea to get it off my mind.

Advice to Management

I loved my Apple experience. Love the Bay Area Apple stores! A major plus to working in the Bay Area is that you are close to Apple headquarters. Visits from "Senior Management" are not impossible at all. Ron Johnson, Apple's VP of Retail, shouted "Nice smile!" to me when he visited our store once. Steve Jobs and other big shots like Johnson like to drop in at the Bay Area Apple stores, and yes, once someone came in with the iPhone before it was available to the public and we actually got to see it.

"A retail job that is altogether exciting, thrilling, and life changing"

Current Employee - Concierge in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Concierge in Seattle, WA

Pros

Despite the fact that it all boils down to selling products, Apple makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something. I leave work every day with the feeling that I've changed and improved our customer's lives, which is very rewarding. The entire atmosphere of the company is really refreshing, and inspires employees to do a great job. Everyone who works there has a great sense of humor and there's not a single employee there that I don't like. The benefits and promotions are a big plus as well, as there are literally hundreds of companies giving big discounts to Apple employees. I always check Apple's list of partners before I make any electronics-related purchase, as 90 percent of them qualify for a discount. The most rewarding part of working at the Retail store is getting to be the person who introduces customers to the amazing technology that Apple comes up with. It's an incredible feeling when you open up whole new worlds of productivity and creativity to strangers.

Cons

As part of their intensive training, there are a few mandatory meetings every month that could possibly conflict with time off. The retail store is a customer service job, so you do have to interact with customers. Most of them are happy and are thrilled to see the awesome products, but occasionally you'll get some really pissy customers who have just had their computer fried and think you're to blame. Working at the front as a greeter can be pretty stressful and hectic, which really wear an employee out after a few hours. There really aren't too many downsides to the job, I really do love working there.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees and always seeks out the ones that are doing a good job. Keep up the good work.

"Good company to work for, but keep in mind that it *is* Apple."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in San Diego, CA

Pros

The culture of the company is one of the best I've ever experienced. From the basic understanding that if you do something there's probably a good reason for it to the whole team-integration, there's no fear that there is going to be backstabbing or infighting. The fairly clear paths for keeping a career is a nice touch as well. Even the little things, like the Wellness Program, really convey that the company cares about the employees and values them as a major asset and not a liability.

Cons

Apple is a very exclusive company to work for and they know it. The pay isn't as high as one could get elsewhere, and sometimes minor infractions, like talking about a possible upcoming product launch, are enough to get you dismissed. Also, while my training, expertise, and career path lie with either repair of computers or education of users, I'm stuck in a sales job until a manager determines that I've met some benchmark that seems, at this time, to be completely arbitrary.

Advice to Management

Recognize when an employee might feel like their current position isn't really providing the day-to-day challenge that will keep the work fun and interesting for an employee. Also eliminating some of the hoops that need to be jumped to get to a new position that one might wish to be in, especially if the employee is not especially well fit to their current position.

"Apple is unlike any other retail organization."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Houston, TX

Pros

Apple is very serious about promoting from within when able and about helping people grow in to the position they want to have in the company. They really do care about both the employee and the customer. Most other retail companies treat their employees like disposable items. When you reach a full time position the benefits are very good - they compete with other non-retail companies I've worked for and hands-down beat all other retail companies I've worked for.

Cons

In the end it is still retail. So, there are odd hours, working nights, weekends and holidays. A little bit of the retail "numbers" game creeps in as well, but not anything like the rest of the retail world.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Miss the store... not so much the mangers."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Apple has a Great enviroment, with great energy, and variaty of person to person and person to peer interactions. It makes for a very interesting work day. theres almost never a moment of boredom. and when there is, here come 30 people around the corner. its demanding, its detailed and its alot of fun.

Cons

Strickt policy handling, lack of communication amongst floor management, Biased floor managment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work Sr Mgmt.

Showing 10,540 of 11,146 reviews