Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0

10,501 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"A Company as Meticulous as Their Products!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, Amazing People, Great Work, Awesome Opportunities, Excellent Experiences, Great atmospheres in a beautiful store, no matter where you're working!

Cons

None! I had one of the best times ever at this company. Hopefully I stay to go on to corporate!

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work!

"Lower your expectations when it comes to working at Apple!"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

Pros

The best reason to work for Apple was definitely the discounts; in fact, I plan to go back to work there, in a lesser capacity, in order to receive the discounts again. Apple has the coolest technology out there, and as a fan of theirs for a long time, it was great to get first hand knowledge and experience on the latest products. Also, when I first started working for Apple in 2006, there were a tight-knit group of employees who were "Mac-heads," and it was a great environment to work in. As soon as Ron Johnson got word that customers weren't getting enough attention due to not enough employees, Apple started hiring everyone in sight, and the environment became what it is today.

Cons

The management is completely horrible! Like I said before, the managers used to be good, but now Apple is hiring anyone and everyone with retail experience, which completely goes against Apple's plan for their retail stores. Ron Johnson, head of Apple retail, originally designed the stores after luxury hotel chains in order to give quality service to its employees, but unfortunately, things have changed drastically. I was even told by my manager that we had to start hiring people who used Dells and owned an iPod because "we had exhausted all possible routes" to find other Mac users who would be interested in working in the retail stores. This was completely bogus because I know tons of people who use Macs and don't work at Apple.

The recent employees hired and the management are all wrong for Apple. My management even started distancing the true Mac users, like me, from working there. Despite my full time availability, I was only given about 10-16 hours per week right before I left. I was also told that other people would receive full time before me, even though I had been there longer than the other person being considered. Talk about no motivation.

Everyone also felt extremely overworked and underpaid. The raises were completely arbitrary, and the new hires weren't trained to sell Macs, just iPods and iPhones, so there were still the same number of people to help people who wanted to buy Macs, which just weren't enough.

Also, one of my managers had a problem with physicality. This manager touched people inappropriately, and even physicially threatened to harm another employee..and still works there!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees; give them valuable feedback, and stop being rude to them. Mac Specialists are the ones bringing in the money for the store, so maybe you should treat them with respect.

""Mac Genius" = Marketing gimmick."

Former Employee - Mac Genius in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Mac Genius in Orland Park, IL

Pros

It is Apple after all, saying you work for Apple is really the only incentive.

Cons

Retail hours aren't for everyone, prepare for working 10 days in a row on occasion, and working most weekends as well. Get used to dealing with customers on at all levels of expertise, or lack thereof, you know nothing, get used to many heckling your job title as well. As a Mac Genius you're expected to know everything Apple, be able to fix everything instantaneously without even touching it, and make everything happen right here right now.

Advice to Management

Senior Management was very selfish regarding their own advancement within the company, disregarding those below them.

"Too Good To Be True."

Current Employee - Concierge in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Concierge in Farmington, CT

Pros

Apple has a name brand recognition like no other in the retail market. When someone sees the company "Apple" on your resume you are automatically put to the top of their list because of their perceived prominence in the retail computer market. When most people think of Apple, they think of the iPod, iPhone, and the lines of computers such as the MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac. All of these products have a simplistic elegance and sophistication in their design, which is shared with the design of the Apple retail stores. You are seen as hip, classy, and cutting-edge by association with the Apple brand.

Cons

While there are a lot of positions open for career development, it is too hard of a goal to achieve if you don't fall into the "hipster" category of people in order to be considered. Tattoos, unnaturally colored hair, hippie clothes, and a penchant for reading comic books and playing Dungeons and Dragons puts you in contention for higher positions in the store over virtues like positive attitude, good conduct, hard work, and reliability. There have been instances I've seen where people have been promoted because they had the right "look" rather than the right attitude for the job. It really makes you dissatisfied with your work experience when a company that will literally do anything for their customers do so little for their employees.

Advice to Management

I would love to give senior management feedback, but unfortunately they are absent. The regional and store managers for my location left their positions in November, and even now in June the positions aren't filled. There is currently one manager splitting time between two stores to compensate for having a store manager, which is not cutting it. This retail store is being run by four assistant managers who are frankly floundering without a management figure present in the store. There is also a terrible elitist attitude in the Apple retail stores, where customers are put off by the "I work for Apple, therefore I'm better than you" attitude. This attitude even comes forward when one worker is interacting with another, again producing a negative work experience. There are changes that need to be made to the retail stores that nobody has the guts to tell Steve Jobs about. But I guess that's what you get with a company that was founded by an anti-social person who consumed illegal drugs in the 1970s.

"Not so good to work for."

Former Employee - Test Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

discounts for their product...? I do not know what else is good about working for them.

Cons

secrecy and visibility to the company is causing not-so-friendly environment

Advice to Management

Open up the environment to be more friendly

"Horrible place to work."

Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

Pros

Gave me lots of time to think of reasons not to by an Apple product.

Cons

Brow beat to do the job one way in the exhausting training and expected to the opposite on the job. Complete lack of respect for anyone who doesn't use or own an Apple computer. Expected to worship the ground Steve Jobs walks on.

Advice to Management

I will never purchase an Apple product.

"Apple, hire more respectful and capable retail managers."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Burlington, MA

Pros

Exposure to the workings of a profitable retail business.

Cons

Employees are nothing but pawns to the management and only used to generate profits with no regard to their needs.

Advice to Management

Most of the managers and assistant managers I worked for were computer illiterate and managed their employees based on fear instead of respect. Many times, I have seen and heard a manager belittle an employee in front of a customer because they didn't take the time to understand the situation. More than one manager on more than one occasion acted disrespectfully, disgracefully and discriminately towards an employee. Other manager had no social skills to speak of so was surprised they had even been put in a managerial position at all.

"Crappletastic"

Current Employee - Web Producer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Web Producer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

It can be mildly exciting whenever a new product surfaces and you get to join co-workers in a collective ego massage at the keynote. Also at said keynote, workers sometimes get free product, and that is a bonus when it's the iPhone. There are coaches going back and forth to SF from Cupertino and back, which is a plus.

Cons

There has been a consensus for a long time, even its among top engineers, that Apple does not tend to promote people or compensate them fairly. Have you ever seen Apple on the Forbes 100 Best Places to Work?' Enough said. You will be just a number to them if you decide to join their ranks. The focus is purely on product and the bottom line, which of course is no surprise in the corporate world. But if you're a corporate hooch, I guess you won't mind that. 'Think Different!' Ahem. And here's some juicy gossip: Steve is afraid of donuts! How do I know? Because he banned them, along with balloons from Macs cafe. He also has a fear of buttons. Origin of this phobia - unknown. But here is what you should be afraid of my friends; the tendency that Apple and just about every company these days has to keep Permatemps. You may want to board the Mother Ship so badly it hurts, but take my advice and do it the regular way, through the Apple hiring process. Don't go through an 'agency.' Basically they are in the business of laundering...people. These are shady operations that are not even real companies and are in cahoots with Apple to deny you benefits or any basic rights, all while forcing you to do the same work and keep exactly the same hours as employees. For what? Surely not for your benefit.

Advice to Management

Stop being so secretive. You have a right to withhold information about your precious merchandise. But you've no right to do the same when it comes to a person's employment status. Hello HR at Apple? Are you there? Hellloooo!!! Oh well, I guess Apple is an HR free zone! Good for you. I mean, other companies are just gonna have to continue to be suckers, believing that they have no right to go above the Law. Peachy keen! Some folk have all the luck, huh? Even when there is a department (uh, mine) in which a husband is actually supervising his wife. You folks just crack me up! You really do.

"An excellent place to work for a year or two"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

There are few better companies to have on your resumé.

Apple is an innovative leader in the consumer products field, and recognized around the world as having some of the best engineering, marketing, and final products in the industry.

Few engineers in Cupertino have to work on infrastructure, as most IT development work is outsourced to overseas contractors.

While the cafeteria doesn't compare to Google's, it's not bad at all, and is improving lately. If you're in the eight or so buildings (of 30+) that are near it, it's a nice choice.

Cons

Management burns through employees with no regard to their long-term value—many management decisions seem to be based upon how long the employees involved will put up with the demands placed on them.

Depending on your exact job and how little time is left in the product cycle, vacation time and even weekends are privileges that you may not be given the opportunity to afford. If WWDC is rescheduled at the last minute, for example, hundreds of engineers will be asked to change their vacations, even if they've already made plans (and paid for tickets).

At the end of a cycle, a $20 bottle of wine or a $50 iPod shuffle reflect the gratitude you'll receive, and the value of your work to your management. It is against Apple policy for your name to be recognized externally; only Steve Jobs' name, or the names of those he picks to introduce them, can be associated with a product release.

At least one division was giving less than 3% in average yearly salary increases to critical senior engineers, while the company's profits soared. And if you're a manager, it's not discouraged for you to go several years without accepting a raise, just so you can use the budget savings for your staff's salaries.

It's a well-known secret that the best way to get a large raise and promotion at Apple is to leave and be hired back a few years later into the new position.

Advice to Management

Hold an internal employee communications meeting that doesn't open with Steve Jobs thanking all the engineers' for all the time they've given up with their families. For three years, they all opened that way, and I am sure they still do.

Give QA the resources to truly test products before their release. Snow Leopard is a nice step in that direction, but try it with Mac OS X Server, and Airport, and MobileMe. Back To My Mac was a fantastic Leopard feature, and it would be great if it had ever worked--maybe find that out before the product ships, and not afterwards?

Once MobileMe is a success, don't forget it wasn't a boxed product. The web services Apple provides require daily maintenance, actual backups, and talented people with a long-term commitment to making them work. Don't starve their budgets until they go back to the terrible availability and service that .Mac was well known for.

As Apple's developer and user base grow, and its products are accepted into more and more businesses, Apple needs a plan to manage the increased QA and sustaining engineering efforts.

Continuing to let a project die of neglect for years while insisting it's got full support (Java, WebObjects, .Mac) will grow old, and the userbase will move on to the next big thing.

There's no replacement for experienced engineers. Sure, overseas contractors are cheaper, and kids just out of college have great ideas and unlimited energy, but at the end of the day, someone has to know what they're doing. Cherish and retain your senior staff. Don't wave press releases gloating over the money the company has on hand in their faces, praise their hard work, and then deny them a raise that meets inflation.

And just because someone isn't in Steve Jobs' direct line of sight, doesn't mean they're not important to the company.

"Will Apple *ever* make "The Top 100 Places To Work" list?"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

It is still a big time, name brand company with a lot of international recognition. Apple is also continues to ride a huge amount of hype and (relatively speaking) recent business success. The stock options also made many of us multi-millionaires over a short period of time. A number of internal processes, the culture, and the people are also quite unique to Apple, and from a diversity of experience point of view, that's great exposure for one's career.

Cons

There are an unusually high number of individuals at Apple (both management and individual contributors, at various levels), who would clearly NOT be successful at any other company or period of time. But that's not the problem. The problem is that many of those individuals genuinely believe in their own talent, capabilities, and accomplishments and make ridiculous decisions based off these fundamental dillusions.

Bozo cancer has also reached Stage III levels.

Advice to Management

Quit while you're ahead or someone notices. Cash out on top!

Showing 10,501 of 11,101 reviews