Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends

9,587 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

"A Company as Meticulous as Their Products!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits, Amazing People, Great Work, Awesome Opportunities, Excellent Experiences, Great atmospheres in a beautiful store, no matter where you're working!

Cons

None! I had one of the best times ever at this company. Hopefully I stay to go on to corporate!

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work!

"Doing what they know best these days *gasp*"

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a gig with low pressure sales quotas, no aggressive commission structures, and a family-like environment - Apple is the place is for you. While there, they will make you feel very welcome and included. Your ideas will be listened to, and they'll make you feel valued. Plus the benefits are some of the best in the field.

Cons

Apple is slowly and visibly gravitating from a innovative professional hardware and software company to a fashion company. Speaking from a retail perspective, many employees in the past were experienced working professionals who had deep knowledge in their respective fields be it photography, audio engineering, or filmmaking. What an employee lacked in knowledge or for upcoming software changes, Apple management and department leads made sure you were given ample development time to grow and learn. The structure then was unofficially to inspire your customers, and the sales will follow.

As time progressed, Apple leadership put more emphasis on "people leaders" who had poor knowledge of the product. As such, many of these new "people leaders" brought in from companies like Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, etc. didn't and still don’t share those same values as their passionate employees. Over time, the professionals working for the company became burned out and moved on, either by their own accord or a manager's. To fill the places of these working professionals were employees with no professional background, given little practical training on the software they were to learn resulting in having employees with poor knowledge on the product or subject if questions arose. The Apple professionals remaining in the company became complacent and/or bitter that they were being paid similar amounts as those newer employees with lesser experience, yet they were expected to assist with their deeper knowledge when a customer required it. This effect cause these professionals to exploit Apple's attendance policies resulting in less staff during a planned out day. A great example is seeing the Genius Bar become so famously behind. A lot of that is due to staff calling out for their shifts leaving their peers and lower ranking employees to pick up the pieces and learn-on-the-fly. When these problematic staff members were set to be confronted, they'd go out on leave-of-absence through stress or some sort of injury and return once the dust settles on their attendance record. This is a very deep problem Apple has yet to permanently resolve today.

What has since become noticed and evident is how most of Apple’s newest leaders are not inspirational tech professionals. They don’t develop you to want to use the platform or software. They weren’t promoted through the ranks, but were rather hired outside the company and brought in. They’re most interested in taking you through leadership development for a few months at your same rate then throwing you back into your old responsibilities with little to show for what you’d learned. The bulk of their leaders don’t even know how to use a word processor, build a spreadsheet, or even edit a photo. They’re there to coach on sales, inspire performance, and defuse customer escalations (overriding whatever fair resolution you had positioned to your customer). It’s not the Apple environment it once was, and has slowly gravitated into a sales organization first. Sell first, then invite them back to a workshop to be inspired later.

Advice to Management

Go back to formula. Leads were the lifeblood of Apple who deeply understood the products inside and out. They understood where their teams were at in their development, and knew which employees in the store knew the product. Leaving this up to store management is a poor idea, as many couldn't be trusted to run tap water efficiently.

"Apple"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Apple has the best consumer products and its always exciting to see the new products and be part of a company with success

Cons

Management only focus on executing the project and less about employees. This is not the best place to work to my opinion.

5. "A happy place that demands your best"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great leadership at my location
    -Like being a part of a big family - one of my favorite teams
    -Strong collaboration, feedback, and coaching throughout the team - rarely to never had a question I couldn't get answered in a few minutes

Cons

-Stressful job - you can't control the customers and you'll have situations that can't be solved immediately

Advice to Management

Listen to your team. Find ways to win with them. The core of Apple is its people; in and out of store and I loved my leadership team!

6. "applecare advisor"

I worked at Apple full-time

Pros

at home employment, discount on products, training, great people to work around, hardwork truly pays at this level in the company.

Cons

metrics are the driving force, management changes a lot.

Advice to Management

apple does a good job at training their leaders.

7. "Working for Apple"

Pros

Very flexible and understanding company to work for, the working environment is like no other and there is always room for improvement

Cons

Like any other place of work it can be overwhelming at times but it comes with the territory, and thats what we have holidays for

8. "Probably one of the best companies in the world."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented individuals.
    Amazing leadership team.
    Great company to have on your CV.
    Top notch benefits.
    Feeling that you're part of something big that changes people's life.

Cons

Projects launch without much coordination. Things are fixed on the go.
    Some internal systems are not fit for purpose and you don't feel you work for a company like Apple by using them.
    Limited opportunities for development outside the US.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep looking forward but don't forget that once we weren't the most valuable company in the world.

9. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a giant corporation, Apple is a great place to work.

Cons

It's sometimes frustrating to be a tiny fish in an ocean.

Advice to Management

Some teams need more help than others.

10. "Excellent company"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this company. From the benefits to the pay to most of the team..... it's a great place to work.

Cons

Nothing I can think of othEr that a few of the team membeRs might be a lIttle on the Curt side. But I like them all anyway.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

11. "Incredible"

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great ethos, fantastic co-workers. Love the environment and challenges the job brings. The job is focussed around you and your customers, exactly how retail should be. Done _right_! Can't wait to get to work...seems strange to say...!!!

Cons

Very few cons that I can see. Minimum contract is sixteen hours which may inhibit some casual workers, although it is clear that this is for a reason - keeping staff integrated with the team by being in regularly.

Advice to Management

Keep everything going as it is! Thank you for listening to employees with some upcoming changes - the fact that we are able to get involved at a deeper level with our suggestions is immensely great.

Showing 9,587 of 10,100 reviews