Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Apple Reviews

Updated March 21, 2017

Cons

"started off great but took a nose dive"

Former Employee - Specialist
    Former Employee - Specialist

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

looks good on a resume, great experience, pretty good benefits and base pay

Cons

EXTREMELY political and favoritism at the retail level. especially my retail store in south Texas.

Advice to Management

Apple failed so hard in 2016. If you want to know why, take a look at your retail management team. you are no longer hiring leader to lead the business successfully, you are hiring managers that are beginning to bring in outside friends who are slowly tearing your company's foundation to shreds. The store I worked at lost 20% of its staff in less than 2 months! that had NEVER happened in the 5+ years I had worked at that location.

"iOS App Reviewer"

Current Employee - IOS App Reviewer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - IOS App Reviewer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time

Pros

Company benefits, building your resume / experience

Cons

Work life balance, internal tools

Advice to Management

Not much of growth opportunities

"Reality distortion field in full force"

Former Employee - AppleCare Senior Advisor in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - AppleCare Senior Advisor in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay occurred regularly and the benefits were the same as most companies.computer provided.i really like the logo and marketing

Cons

Cronyism,bullying,fakeness,retaliation culture.after 8 years I can truly say the core has only become more rotten.many of the employees use drugs to cope.attrition common

Advice to Management

They will retaliate telling them anything is pointless.contacting hr about illegal behavior and policy violations will result in termination

"At-Home Chat Advisor"

Former Employee - At-Home Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - At-Home Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

-No commute
    -Decent benefits
    -Work from home

Cons

-Too driven by numbers and not the end result.
    -False promises.
    -Horrible scheduling issues. - moved half the staff to iTunes then kept them there after they told them they would be coming back leaving the chat department under water for MONTHS!
    -Depending on your boss, there is alot of micro managing. My boss was pretty cool but i heard otherwise from co-workers.
    -Taking 3 chats at a time for tech support is just too much. It's doable sometimes but when they were slammed for those few months that drove me to quit, it was busy with 3 chats+ all day for 10 hours and most everyone was upset because they had to wait, etc etc etc.
    -There are different rules and procedures based on the country the customer is in, causing confusion because previous reps never verified the customer location and they would get upset when they were offered an option that they did not qualify for because they live in the wrong country.
    -During that busy time, they kept telling us that they were going to fix the scheduling issues, but instead they purposely let people go home on VTO so the reps who stuck it out, were stuck on 3 chats all day just to save some money.
    -No dispute process for unfair survey scores.
    -Development was not taken seriously in my opinion. Many of my chats were reviewed but I was never given any constructive feedback on the surveys that fell under and was told I did everything I could. Well if I did what I could then there should be a process to turn over that survey as it was out of my control and providing a feedback link does nothing for the customer.
    -Previous supervisor reviews, wouldn't fully read my chats and just assume that I did not meet my commitments. I had to constantly read through all my reviews and submit corrections because they were being missed for not having enough time to go over my chats. If you don't have time for a rep's performance improvement and development, how the heck are you expecting them to improve?
    -During that busy time (which they said would only last a few weeks, turned into months) this was not even during a launch period. meetings and trainings that were required were being canceled but somehow we were expected to complete them while being on 3+ chats at a time.
    -They wanted reps to go above and beyond but with it being so busy there was literally almost no time to stand out unless you had 4 hands. I had to do many of my extra projects and presentation preps during my breaks/lunches and off time because the environment was too busy and stressful during scheduled work time.
    -Systems didn't work properly all the time and were poorly structured. My last job literally had one hub that we would go to for troubleshooting and then go from there. Apple wants to be different and have 1000's of articles that we have to search find through quickly when many of them had too many steps that didn't fix the issue causing a poor customer experience. I ended up using google for 90% of my research and I had better luck fixing issues then using their internal systems.

Advice to Management

You took the fun out of working from home. When I first started in 2015, it was awesome. It wasn't as busy and it was spaced out enough where I could research, and learn, etc etc. Not sure what changed in 2016, but dear god... we are just money making machines to you. I might as well have worked in a sweat shop. This might have been worse. I took a pay cut for this job and then for you guys to have it constantly busy and high stress where it's unbearable. I was happy to quit. I came from a previous employer very similar who was only focused on numbers and money and didn't care of the opinions of the staff. I guess you guys are going the same route. I love the products but your service has gone down hill. Also, all expectations should be across the entire enterprise not only for specific regions. Everytime I contact Apple Support, they never once used the whole sequencing acknowledge, align jumbo you guys forced down our throats. So much happier without you guys. They pretend to care, but they truly can care less. Once you stop drinking that Apple Juice, you will see the light too. A weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I'm free from this place.

"Slow and boring"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for slow, older or not so sharp junior engineers

Cons

Same phone for 5 years

Advice to Management

Do what SJ did

"Mediocre—nice to visit, wouldn't want to stay"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Nice facilities.
    2. Good food that's not terribly expensive.
    3. Decent pay for a technical writer.
    4. People were fairly friendly, on the whole.
    5. Great fringe benefits for full-timers (not for contractors), including a gym, on-site doctor, and other services.
    6. You don't take your work home with you, as a contractor.
    7. From what I can tell, Apple actually cares about its employees, and it tries to be a responsible corporation. That counts for something. A lot, really. My previous employer was happy to support bigoted political candidates just for the "pro-business" policies. I don't see Apple doing that. I do see it giving me a place to safely dispose of batteries, recycling waste on a huge scale, and building giant solar farms.

Cons

1. This was some of the dullest work I've ever done. At the Austin location, most work seems to revolve around helping Apple-associated repair shops do paperwork. I wrote a lot of processes about things like explaining to an Apple keyboard jockey how to replace incorrect serial numbers and how to document returned parts—and so forth—to support these repair shops.

2. It can be impossible to get away from deficient personality types, and that can screw up organizational functioning. I had the misfortune to get saddled with the smuggest, most pedantic—and yet still unfriendly—person I have ever met. The kind of person who can't distinguish between "can" and "may," but who will take a paragraph to critique your use of "who," instead of "whom." The kind of guy who makes his neck tendons stand out from strain when he's trying to make an ordinary point about a slideshow in a meeting. There's no need for that kind of inanity in a clock-punching job. Anyway, he trained me and occupied the adjacent cube during my entire tenure. And because he dug himself in, there was no way to get away from him, even though it was clear to my supervisors and coworkers that this guy was an obstacle, regardless of how hard he worked. Everyone hated him, but there he is, immovable.

3. Apple is Byzantine. More arcane than you'd dare guess, and yet there's not an organizational chart to be found. Ask for one, and you get a weird oral history recounting the succession of lords and ladies in the various sub-departments. But not, say, a hierarchy of departments and brief descriptions of their functions. This makes it unnecessarily difficult to figure out how the organization works.

4. Good luck getting access to the systems you need to do your job! I never got access to some of the systems I was actually writing processes for! Many times! Unbelievable.

Advice to Management

1. Honestly, from what I saw, y'all are doing all right. My supervisor was good, though the system as a whole needs tinkering ...

2. For the love of human sanity, sketch out a rough organizational chart. If you don't know what that is, research it on the Internet.

3. Do more to identify deficient personality types. They drive away quality people, and they damage the overall pace of work through their effect on morale. Once you identify one, assign him to a solo project away from normal people. You know, quarantine. Don't have him training anyone.

4. Figure out how to get technical writers (even contractors) access to the systems they'll need for doing their jobs, even if they're just writing about using those systems, rather than using them directly.

"Koolaid Culture"

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist

I worked at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The ability to converse with people from all walks of life Is about the ONLY thing i looked forward to when coming into work. Everything else i'd place in the Cons category

Cons

No work life balance
    Favoritism is prevalent
    Lack of inclusivity
    Low moral
    Social climbers
    Fake personalities
    Drink the kool aid or get comfortable being an outcast

Advice to Management

Retail stores need major help. Specifically, the favoritism that's pervasive through out many different branches. As i'm sure you can tel, this leads to high employee turnover

"AHA Chat Advisor - A warning."

Current Employee - Apple AHA in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Apple AHA in Denver, CO

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, work from home, and an average amount of opportunity to move up. If you like a fast paced, daily changing world, you might consider a job at Apple. In their words - the only constant is change.

Cons

For those of you who have worked in customer service before and are considering Apple - don't think you can handle it just because you've "done this before". Of all the places I've ever worked (10 years of customer service and technical support), this one is the most demanding mentally.

Extremely poor work life balance, especially if you work in chat. They don't schedule well, and they certainly don't hire enough to handle their volume, so you end up doing twice the work for the same pay. Or worse - triple the work which is very common during the holidays. And no - I'm not talking about extra product support - you will support all of their products. I'm talking about volume.

All the while you must maintain a strict level of quality which is measured by customers - which can be great, unless they're upset over something you can't control. And - you guessed it - there's no way to challenge the feedback.

On the days you work you are exhausted from too much over stimulation, and the days you have off (if they're not pushing overtime), you're just trying to recover. Be warned - this is an extremely stressful job and it will effect your day to day life in more ways that just having to be somewhere for a minimum 40 hours a week.

On top of that, it's extremely hard to provide feedback - everyone is focused on positivity rather than reality, and so it's not a very honest environment.

In the time I've been here, I've only seen it change for the worse - never for the better, so my outlook is quite grim. They have consistently proven the bottom line is more important than their employees or their customers, and this is unlikely to change.

Advice to Management

Be honest, allow us to be honest, and actually do our job for a day - in the current environment.

"Used to be great!!"

Former Employee - Channel Management in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Channel Management in Rochester, NY

I worked at Apple (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Financials…exciting products…great co-workers…strong product pipeline

Cons

All new management …micro manage….took the fun out of it

"Great Company. Poor Leadership."

Former Employee - APPLE ONLINE STORE CHAT SPECIALIST in Leander, TX
    Former Employee - APPLE ONLINE STORE CHAT SPECIALIST in Leander, TX

I worked at Apple (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and campuses. Very open minded co-workers for the most part.

Cons

So. Much. Bureaucracy. Management feigns interest in what employees have to say in regards to how to make things better, but make no changes. Innovation has come to a standstill. Product design is clearly inattentive to professionals at this point, and would rather cater to only the lowest common denominator.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Stop shoving kool-aid down their throats.

Showing 636 of 9,853 reviews