Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

Apple Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits as soon as you start (in 955 reviews)

• Great benefits and work from home (in 235 reviews)

Cons

"Interesting experience, but only for short period of time."

Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

Looks good on resume, some learning possible.

Cons

A lot of work, low pay, very hard to be promoted, too much brain washing...

Advice to Management

Pay people more and be more real

"Great company, but thinking different discouraged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

To a large extent, Apple is amazing. I was within the tech support call center management, and both my employees and my coworkers were brilliant and amazing. The "bosses" tend to also be great people, with an occasional (albeit notable) exception. They do respect work/life balance, and there's a hefty program for development in terms of you career within the company. On the corporate side, there's also intangible benefits like "casual attire" (namely, don't come to work naked), monthly parties (with and without alcohol), an on-site gym, etc.

Cons

The biggest problem I found was that the dedication to secrecy that Apple is known for is disseminated down to the lowest positions. There were multiple times were we weren't given enough information to adequately prepare for our jobs, or prepare for product releases. I also found that if you wanted to give feedback to decision-makers, your feedback was generally treated like you were a cute child, with a head-pat as they sent you along your way. Sometimes it felt like Apple was torn between wanting to reinvent the wheel every time a new decision came up, and going with a super-corporate, super-strict method that works in other companies, but not with the type of person that Apple has historically hired.

Advice to Management

My biggest piece of advice to management would be to not only solicit feedback from employees, but actually listen to it. Even if it costs a bit more money to implement the feedback, the benefit of happy employees will vastly increase their productivity, and decrease the turnover. In short, don't just pay lip service to employee feedback. Also, when making decisions that fundamentally alter peoples' lives, whether it be their day-to-day lives (such as their work schedule), or their lives as a whole (changing benefits, etc.), give people plenty of advanced warning. At least two months is needed for even fairly minor day-to-day life changes.

3. "Setup for success"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA

Pros

The company is innovative, the corporate culture is amazing. You are truly setup for success when you start working there. I have found that management is open and ready to help.

Cons

Things can get stressful we're a company who releases new products constantly and you have to be up on the latest technology all the time.

Advice to Management

Getting my job at Apple made the day the last company I worked for laid me off the best day of my life.

4. "Cog in the wheel"

Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Best benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

Cons

I worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

5. "Fantastic place to work."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Engineers at Apple get to make real contributions that will benefit tens or hundreds of millions of people everyday. That's awesome. Everyone makes substantial contributions to one or more products. I think incredibly highly of all of my co-workers. They do some of the best engineering work I've seen anywhere.

Cons

Products go out the door on a schedule. Those schedules can be aggressive. If you can't deliver, you are left behind.

"I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY

Pros

People seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

Cons

Even though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

"All employees are over-qualified and stuck working there, due to Apple's hiring process based on personality."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Dallas, TX

Pros

It is a prestigious place to work because the best personalities are hired on.

Cons

Retail hierarchy, the corporation holding a carrot in front of your nose incessantly. Laughable wages, and even more bitingly hilarious system for raises.(not based on individual performance and is only once a year. Best wage increase being $.50-$.75 to hope for.)

Advice to Management

It is actually impossible to be promoted to management as a Specialist because all the hiring is done based on personality. Managers have entirely different personalites as Specialists, so a Specialist could never aspire towards it; one cannot change their own personallity.

8. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Flexible, Great Culture, Decent Retail Pay, Above Average Benefits, Exciting Job

Cons

Depends on management and location of experience. Promotions are mostly laterale without pay raise.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to promote growth within your employees.

"Not flexible or understanding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Pays enough.
    Really customer oriented. I really value my time with each customer trying to help them out with their needs.

Cons

Could pay more.
    Needs to be more sympathetic to full time students. They are terrible with being flexible with school schedules.
    The sheer amount of employees can be overwhelming. I feel like I'm in high school again.
    The type of employees Apple attracts can be annoying as well. If I wanted to go to Williamsburg to see a bunch of hipsters, I would have.

Advice to Management

Pay is what any retail store in the city SHOULD be. So, the fact that Apple is doing rather well lately the pay could be higher.
    If an employee shows interest in growing within the company and looks to move into corporate using his education, listen and help them out so that can happen.

"a good place to work hard"

Former Employee - Intern in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cupertino, CA

Pros

a company that everyone loves: the world will cheer you just because you wear that badge
    great products, with a focus on perfection - you are constantly pushed to do better
    a dynamic work environment: everyone's contributions are valued

Cons

long work hours, probably too long at times
    the focus on perfection can become stressful when deadlines approach
    secrecy all around the place: you can know a lot about what goes on in your group, but anything beyond that is a mystery