Apple Reviews | Glassdoor

10,168 reviews

Full-timePart-time

10,168 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits as soon as you start (in 955 reviews)

• Great benefits and work from home (in 235 reviews)

Cons

1. "Apple is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Great Products and Innovative ideas!

Cons

We work very hard, all year long.

Advice to Management

Remember where you came from!

"Saving people's bacon every day"

Current Employee - Mac Genius in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in Seattle, WA

Pros

Saving someone's bacon on a daily basis. Helping people understand how to take control of their machines.

Cons

busy, busy, busy, loud, chaotic, crowded, claustrophobic, screaming customers, crying customers.

Advice to Management

We don't get paid enough for the responibilities bestowed upon us. We take people's entire electronic lives in our hands multiple times a day and go above and beyond to perform miracles. The pay is almost there, but in comparison to management pay, we don't even come close. Yet we do the managers hardest job- pleasing the customer when Apple has let them down, all-day-long.

3. "My time at apple"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The brand and the people.

Cons

Over abundance of secrecy at all levels of the company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the secrecy bull.

"If you want to make a difference in tech, there's really no better place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

You get a chance to innovate, making a difference. The tech industry desperately needs someone to show how you can truly innovate in a way that people get, and Apple does that. Benefits are acceptable, but not great. But really, I'm in this job because I like what I do, not because of the compensation. Lately, that hasn't been an issue though, because of the way AAPL has rallied. Other than the innovative part, I like the mentality of people at Apple. People in general are open to new ideas, and if you push for it, you can realize your dreams here.

Cons

People are working very long hours at Apple, especially in crucial projects where delays are simply not acceptable. It's a job to live for, and if you're not willing to do that, you're probably not going to have a great time at Apple. Raising a family while working at Apple is a hard thing, and I'd recommend anyone thinking about it to either have a partner that is not working, or getting some help taking care of your kids. Also, the compensation isn't great. The AAPL rally lately have compensated for that, but that won't last forever. But Apple management knows they can get away with paying lower salaries because of the hype surrounding the company.

Advice to Management

Be even more open to new ideas. There's a lot of people at Apple with great ideas, and not all of them get a chance to get heard.

"Work on amazing projects with bright and motivated people"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

I get to work on the coolest projects and have a had in the future of technology. When I tell people I work at Apple, they know and respect the company. They get excited and ask questions. My coworkers are smart and driven. There is a lot of autonomy, and with that, responsibility.

Cons

The level of secrecy, while nothing compared to government secrets, is a huge impediment to getting work done. You aren't given the freedom to just go ask the most knowledgeable employee on a particular subject for advice if that employee has not be "disclosed" on a project.

Advice to Management

Stop playing chicken with deadlines. Set a deadline and manage the project in such a way that if a team misses a deadline, their new stuff is out of the release. Fix the software update process. If an engineer tells you it's important and low risk, take it. If an engineer tells you its risky and they don't want it to go in, heed their advice. Software update feels like the lottery. The stuff that makes it in is completely random.

6. "Apple is worth spending some career time."

Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Telecom Engineer in Elk Grove, CA

Pros

Good pay, great benefits and Apple is always near the bleeding edge of new technologies.

Cons

Career path will be limited if you are not working in Cupertino

Advice to Management

Embrace the teleworker model more.

"Apple is a great place to work if you care about what you do and don't mind potentially keeping it a secret ;)"

Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Producing products of good quality and refinement that make technology accessible to even non techies. It's a thrill to walk into an Apple retail store and see all the smiles. In general, people care about the work they do. It's not just a zombie 9-to-5 job. It's a place where you can really take pride in the end product, assuming it's not canceled.

Cons

It's a secret. I can't tell you. Also slightly lower pay relative to other high tech companies. Benefits are average. Main campus is overcrowded and a tourist attraction. Hiring has skyrocketed and kinda makes you think about the quality of those being hired (no evidence, just makes one think about it).

Advice to Management

Don't be so paranoid. Profit sharing anyone? When's that second campus coming?

"If you have the desire, there is plenty of room to grow and be on the cutting edge of fun toys and technology"

Current Employee - Mac Genius in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in New York, NY

Pros

Health benefits are excellent and the opportunities for advancement, if you make your goals known. Great people to work with, a combination of creativity and technicality. Being around the latest tech-toys is a great way to spend the day. As you reach higher levels in retail, that's when the respect level grows for you.

Cons

In larger locations, you can get lost in the shuffle, unless you make your presence known. I've seen some people get passed over, and some managers lead them to believe they will advance. Very competitive, if you've got what it takes, you can move up quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to feed the desire of new employees to use their skills and grow. There are so many opportunities to grow.

"Apple is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Mac Genius in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mac Genius in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for apple are the we have a fun laid back environment that still gets the job done and that people are great and diverse. The focus on customers is refreshing in a retail store. The leadership team is helpful and supportive.

Cons

One of the downsides of working for apple is that you never get any information before the public. I can understand why, but it can still be frustrating not to know.

Advice to Management

I like the direction that company is taking, but I think that sometimes we have conflicting goals when it comes to customer service issues.

10. "Apple! It really whoops a donkey's ass!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The challenges are unparalleled. The environment is fast-paced and quirky. Cool cool people abound! The Marcom folks have unequaled taste in hipster music and the latest fashion trends. It's APPLE! What more could I possibly say?! The cafeteria is awesome, too (especially the sushi!).

Cons

I would say that there are two. The first is that the work/life balance really *can* suck. Part of this is an individual employee's responsibility -- you need to fend for yourself and unplug when you can. Part of it, however, is a culture of workaholics and burning out.

The other downside is the top-heavy management and proliferation of needless meetings and email. It's a drag on everyone's time and a constant annoyance.

Advice to Management

Hire more good people so that the ones you have aren't so overworked.

Showing 10,168 of 10,744 reviews