Apple Reviews in Santa Monica, CA | Glassdoor

Apple Santa Monica Reviews

Santa Monica, CA

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits as soon as you start (in 1066 reviews)

• work from home - no commute - decent pay (in 236 reviews)

Cons

"Flexible hours - hard to get FT status"

Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Red Zone Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

EXCELLENT management, flexible hours, great coworkers, great culture, thorough paid training, 401k & stock options as PT, discounts on some Apple products (NOT IPHONE THOUGH), get to see new iphones first

Cons

hard to get FT status, management mostly hired outside of company, all hands on deck for iphone releases (regardless of your personal schedule)

Advice to Management

Employee discounts on iphones

"Genius"

Former Employee - Apple Genius in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Genius in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The biggest pro about this job are the people you work with. I have been blessed with great work environments in my life. Apple retail has amazing and diverse people. If it were just up to hanging with my coworkers, doing great work and having fun I'd be running to work to be there every day.

Apple will provide some great tools that can be used in your personal life and later professional life. If you follow how they teach it their perspectives on "Fearless feedback and assuming positive intent" can be incredibly useful.

If you are young and can get in it's a great place to start, learn some skills move up a little, if you can, and then use it as a resume stuffer.

Cons

This is Apple Retail - its not really Apple. They would like you to believe that the company is one big family but the retail side is kind of a step child. The vacation structure is different as are benefits. There is NO PROFIT SHARING. and also no commission. So even if you individually do 1million in sales, you still get just your salary.

They do not value experience or tenure. They appreciate it, like pat on the back 'great job' appreciate. But do not value it. There is no significant compensation other than additional vacation time for high levels of experience. That being the case it is good to get out sooner rather than later. They do not cultivate and give incentives for people to stay. The longer you stay, with no upward movement, the more demoralized you will get.

Tenure and Experience and Hard work DO NOT equal promotion. Apple managers have a secret recipe on who they favor or do not. If you do not fit into a management team's vision, YOU WILL NOT PROGRESS. PERIOD. It is possible to move up and sometimes dramatically if you do fit what they want. I have seen both very worthy and very unworthy (based on their effectiveness after promotion) people promoted.

Management is often hired from outside the company which causes a severe cultural mismatch and tremendous frustration. Potential leaders are not developed and people from outside with managers titles who might not click with Apple values are brought in on a regular basis.

Apple essentially asks you to develop yourself. That goes for managers on down. That is an upside for people who use the Apple language and style and live it, sometimes like an automaton. However if you do not speak their development language and feed it back to them, even if you have vast leadership potential they have no way to cultivate you. I've seen people with incredible potential bypassed, grow demoralized and leave because the company cannot find ways to develop people internally, They generally overburden managers and employees so any possible time you have for development is taken away or you have to essentially not do your job and overburden others to make time to do the development things they ask.

The company improves their systems which is helpful but essentially is only trying to make everyone (on the technical support side) take more and more people. Work in the technical support side is a thankless job often and more than it was. You are asked to help more and more people while somehow connecting personally and not making it "transactional". And often the customers are great but they can also be awful. Not know which you'll get EVERY 10-15 minutes!! Is emotionally draining day after day. And with managers who've never done the job they don't understand the emotional toll the job takes.

I appreciated my time at Apple but hit a number of walls of demoralization. As did most of the amazing people around me, managers included. I managed to reinvigorate myself but with every leadership change you are essentially at square one again having to re-build your credibility. I probably should have gotten out sooner but Apple Retail also has a way of sucking you in for longer than you expect... it can get comfortable because of the amazing co-workers.

Advice to Management

to be successful a company need to cultivate and reward deep institutional knowledge. People who have been somewhere a long time can give insight and depth that constant new employees, moving them in, up and out cannot give. Apple sales, service and moral in general suffers because of it. NPS goes down.

Come up with development strategies that actually value different management styles not gust one that are heavy on "command skills" and regurgitation of Apple Speak... (Lominger)

Reward people commensurately with their tenure and value tenure in general. A significant pay increase to senior staff would go a long way for retention as would PROFIT SHARING.

Build in some inefficiency so employees can breath and regain their emotional energy trying to help frustrated and angry customers. Sometimes too much efficiency sucks the life (personal connection, helping others) out of the room.

Sadly after 15 years it seems to be getting worse. The new roles announced as I was leaving sounded like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The best three things you can do serious compensation increases, better development (with direct actual led development) and profit sharing (better incentives)

Just using the Apple name is as tired as buying a new iPhone every year...

3. "Great for Students"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

As a part-time, very flexible hours, good benefits.

Cons

no carrier growth what so ever

4. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Android Developer/User Experience Designer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Everyone the company hires (for the most part) is a cool person, so you make tones of friends. The free food, gyms and awesome events are also cool. The discounts on products makes buying christmas presents easy and the pay was great too (considering)!

Cons

Apple is a great place to work, however, the politics sometimes make it difficult to get things done. The confidentiality also sometimes gets in the way of people able to speak about what you're working on.

Advice to Management

Not really any, all the managers I encountered were wonderful and a pleasure to work with.

5. "A company that takes training, listening and teamwork seriously; whose only shortcoming is the wages."

Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For years to come, the software awareness are assets to companies that hire you. Also witnessing other use the operating system all day and the training you can do and the teaching you get to do- fantastic

Cons

Alike many other companies - a part time employee can work 30 plus hours a week and without full benefits.

Advice to Management

Oddly enough they did recruit outside of the company and usually those recruits came in at a higher pay. This caused some resentment as it was counter to what Apple is about.

6. "Genius"

Current Employee - Genius in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Genius in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about others. Excellent culture and opportunities for self growth.

Cons

Glass ceiling if you don't want to be a manager. No set schedule.

7. "great retail position. retail transformation needs to go deeper"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As someone who was probably qualified to work in engineering, I was really surprised how much I learned on the job - it was a fun job. Met really amazing customers - had the freedom to spend up to an hour ensuring they got all the support they needed. Was able to rotate around and spot teach people 1-on-1 and got recognized by customers. one of my best experiences was sharing about the iPhone in the Apple Theater and really shifting customer mindsets - they have never heard anything so compelling!

Cons

having to stand all the time was taxing on my back (admittedly this was retail). lack of more sophisticated benefits like personal development and career coaching from HR. I did not feel my immediate manager was in the position to help me fully explore all the possibilities that were available to me at Apple outside of retail.

Advice to Management

have programs set up to identify star talent that come in at the bottom. I witnessed a colleague who was part of your improvement team get excited about implementing an idea a teammate shared at a store meeting in front of everyone, she got the green light from management, and proceeded to get zero support to execute and follow through. It looked like all talk at the end of the day and quite demoralizing for her. Both employee and managers need to be rewarded, compensated for taking time out of their core operational role (ie. running the store) to support new initiatives - they need to feel like it's okay to spend 10-20% of their time implementing something new that will provide greater value to Apple (and its store) once implemented.

8. "Great experience."

Current Employee - Back of House Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Back of House Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to network & work with so many amazing people, both management and peers
    Great benefits
    Good discounts
    The culture is awesome

Cons

It is retail, so you'll have to work weekends but it's not so bad. As a BOH Specialist you do get to help out customers on the floor but not as much as an actual specialist. I don't have many complaints to be honest.

Advice to Management

None

"Was great until it wasn't"

Former Employee - Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started working at the Apple Store part-time when I was still a college student. I loved the fast-paced environment and that every day was different. It was great to know that every day I would learn something new, plus I loved working with people. I truly felt like part of a team. Also, there was tons of opportunity to specialize in different areas within the store. Towards the end of my time working there, management began to focus a lot more on professional development, which was awesome.

Cons

I did not enjoy working retail hours because it was difficult to keep a normal routine. I also felt management was less than supportive of my growth within the company, despite my impeccable sales record. The managers at this location tend to play favorites with the people that they like best, not the people who have worked the hardest or been with the company the longest. I did not feel like management was open to new ideas, unless they came from corporate.

Advice to Management

Don't pigeon-hole your employees so quickly!

10. "Great learning experience and a good opportunity to work with a diverse group of people."

Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Daily learning opportunities, equipment discount, great chance to help customers.

Cons

Retail environment can get very crowded, long hours standing.

Advice to Management

offer healthy snacks and yoga program.

Showing 18 of 10,898 reviews