Apple Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated January 12, 2018

Washington, DC Area

3.6

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people; great benefits; fun environment (in 1074 reviews)

• work from home - no commute - decent pay (in 256 reviews)

Cons
  • NO SUCH THING AS WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 847 reviews)

• absolutely no work life balance (in 151 reviews)

1. "Great Great Great"

Current Employee - At Home Senior Advisor in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - At Home Senior Advisor in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great leadership, great company, and a solid path to promotion

Cons

Hard to stand out amongst so many other employees, especially in work from home environment

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Family Room Specialist"

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Apple (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome perks. Team felt like family. Plenty of opportunity for job growth. Top notch training. You can travel within the company.

Cons

Difficulty squeezing every diagnostics and solution into the same time quota. More training on positioning at On point.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees growth. The encouragement motivates the team to be their best!

3. "AppleCare College Program (At-Home Advisor)"

Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Apple At Home Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, prestige, interesting, fun, easy

Cons

odd hours, high expectations, redundant

Advice to Management

Management needs to spend more time training on the software instead of how to give customer service

4. "Cool"

Current Employee - Genius in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Genius in Washington, DC

I have been working at Apple (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great people, awesome benefits.

Cons

Its retail-don't expect holidays or weekends off

5. "Downgrading"

Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are what kept me for two years. Plus working with my friends was great as well, really made some great connections with some really great people.

Cons

Not listening to the employees and paying them the same as new hires. Promoting people that should have never been promoted.

The thing that I knew that we going on at different stores, it was really making my choice to leave even easier.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. If there are negative numbers for rounds of NPP, sounds like something needs to be changed. There isn’t a very cohesive message during downloads, all the managers haven’t different messages.

6. "Business Managers are no more"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Apple full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A place to belong for those that are focused on innovation, inclusion, and leaving the world better than they found it. The amount of social justice issues the company CEO Tim Cook takes head-on continue to inspire me today. My years at Apple will always contain some of my fondest memories and strongest relationships.

Cons

Retail leadership goes through many ebbs and flows and seems to stifle the career growth of these incredibly talented leaders. Focus is contained in maintaining ranks within retail and developing retail leaders, even if their individual skillsets would be more applicable in more elevated roles. Even as a Senior leader within the team, I still was challenged with the lack of focus and direction that is felt on a store, market, and overall retail organization. Impactful change occurs from within and this is very rarely a focus of market-level leaders.

Advice to Management

There were far too many situations of market/corporate leadership preventing retail leadership from growing and developing beyond their retail scope. This prevents innovation and stifles personal growth.

7. "Bad experience"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Manager Discriminated and that happens especially after the election

Cons

My team manager he didn't like Arab and always he thought that many American who born and grow up in the USA they dream to have my job

8. "amazing benefits, but is it worth working retail?"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMAZING benefits, Great pay for retail positions

Cons

Must work holidays, management always pushing sales and typical recycled retail environment

Advice to Management

Be different, like Apple used to be.

"Problematic Retail Wage Structure"

Current Employee - Creative in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Creative in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Apple (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, highly underestimated talent pool for you to connect with on a personal level at work, good benefits (yet you are discouraged from unionizing which I think may be borderline illegal?) progressive work environment in terms of race, sexuality, and lifestyle. Rewarding experiences and lots of skills to be utilized in the real world (Apple Retail is not the real world, as much as they say it is)...Tim Cook is also trying really hard to correct the company but Retail and Corporate hate one another.

Cons

First and foremost, transparency and accountability. The hiring process is a bag of nonsense. Even internally, when you apply for a lateral transfer or a position inside your own store, the management lies to you about your chances with impunity, the Store Leader has no clout with the recruiting process yet promises upward mobility.

There is favoritism, avarice, and a highly political nature to all hiring decisions. The customers are either incredible or absolutely horrible. This job requires the highest extreme of negotiation skills, customer service, and tolerance as people will test you beyond your limits with what they expect and require.

Apple Retail needs to clean sweep its management tier, the majority of whom were hired from Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target and Pacsun...companies that share no values with Apple and love to focus on numbers. Having worked under Steve Jobs and Ron Johnson, the philosophy used to be "work on customer experience, because the products sell themselves" but now it is all about results even though we don't make any commission (which is insane if you do the math) and the management brags about results and company wealth while the average employee is required to know skills required for 80k tech support and IT jobs while paying them half or less than that and asking them to perform harder on top of those unfeasible numbers.

Apple needs to reshape retail and get rid of the people who have taken over the top tier and are running it like a boutique Circuit City.

Advice to Management

Honestly you are the team that always needs the most work. You have great people, you need to learn how to use them and care for them.

10. "It doesn't feel like retail!"

Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Family Room Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers, Diversity, Connectivity with the Company, Generous Break Schedules, Understanding with Call-Outs, Employee Purchase Program, 401K, Training

Cons

Stressful, Pay is lower than desired

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Showing 125 of 11,894 reviews