AppleOne Reviews in Glendale, CA | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppleOne CEO Janice Bryant Howroyd
Janice Bryant Howroyd

Pros
  • Great company if you're looking for certain types of temp work (in 21 reviews)

• They work hard to find you a job (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They lure you in with promises of good paying jobs that will be temp to hire (in 14 reviews)

• I will recommend Apple One to my friends (in 20 reviews)

1. "Growth and Accountability are not just buzzwords"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company creed of finding and fulfilling the needs of another resonates strongly. Stability. Great feeling supporting a company that finds people employment.

Cons

Willingness to train, grow, and learn is stymied from the very top levels. Too many management layers worried about saving face to each other. Not enough 'worker' layers (junior, regular, senior, etc). Unwillingness to address problems in favor of 'that's just how we do it'.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be wiling to manage. It is there responsibility to keep up to date, and train employees - or have employees trained, and trust their feedback.

Pay freezes are more frequent than blizzards on the east coast. If you want quality, pay quality.

When the CEO goes on record publicly stating that companies need to take care of their employees, and then the same week removes benefits and implements pay freezes - it hurts twice as much.

"Don't work here if you don't like to be micro-managed"

I worked at AppleOne full-time

Pros

- The manager. She was the best manager I've ever had.
    - Flexibility. Your desk is your business so if you take a day off, there's no one to pick up your work except you.

Cons

- Salary is not worth the stress of this position. I would have stayed if they offered more. They actually offer a low salary base for a staffing agency.
    - Benefits are terrible. $160 a month for HMO. Some holidays you have to work a split shift with your office.
    - The title says it all. I've never been so micro managed in my life. Constantly, asking how many connects (calling companies) I've done, how many recommendations I've done...everyday we go over our goals. Everyday we go over our connects. Every week we go over how many people we placed and get scorned that we need to do better.
    - Bringing people in when they are terrible. Every week we need to at least interview 8 people. That's a lot. There's not enough good talent to interview that many people. So I literally have to interview people who I know I can't get a job or didn't want to speak to. Then after they I interview them, they are constantly calling me asking if there's anything for them. I've been harassed and yelled at too many times at candidates for them doing all this work (filling out paperwork) and me not finding them anything when I knew I couldn't.
    - How much paper is wasted here. Oh Lordy, it gives me anxiety. I seriously don't even want to tell you. It's bad. Real bad.
    - Training- I agree every position needs training but it's wayyyyy too much. It's the same thing over and over again.
    - This is a sales job not a recruiting position. I originally wanted this position to gain recruiting experience, which I did. But it's more sales driven than ever. They push for more and more and more. It never ends.
    - Nothing is ever enough. You make your numbers, they want you to increase. You made $10,000 for them and they want you to make $20,000. They stress you out for no reason.
    - The work environment can be very hostile. If there's a bad apple in the team it's over. I've never seen as much unprofessionalism in my life. The managers try to band-aid situations but it never works. The only thing that works is them leaving.
    - They hire the dumbest people sometimes.
    - Turnover. Did you read the "turn and burn" comment? She was right. When I was there, about 8 people left. That's a whole team!
    - This company is sooooo cheap. Have you been to the corporate office? Their awnings are ripped to shreds and it looks like the office belongs in Compton. The kitchen always smells and the bathroom doesn't have any ventilation system. Going pee in there is always a challenge.
    - Commission is not that great from the work you put in. You literally have to kill yourself to make $80,000 here. I probably made $50,000 this year ($40,000 salary base) and it's a lot of work. I would rather be working an Admin job being paid $40,000 for less stress every day.
    - The stress. I can not talk about this enough. There's one-on-ones every week and the manager goes over with you where your numbers are. It's insane how much money they want you to make. I made the company over $150,000 in less than a year and it wasn't good enough for them.
    - Lastly, I would say 75% of the people absolutely hate working there. The amount of crap we have to put up with and the amount of work we do is not worth it. I will never work at another staffing agency again.

Advice to Management

Change how you do things.

3. "Pass"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Glendale, CA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

To be completely fair, they did fight to get me administrative positions. One they landed me at Kaiser Permanente was actually worth taking.

Cons

For the most part, however, they tried to convince me to take VERY low paying, crappy assignments even after I made it very clear to them that I could not work for less than $15/hr minimum. They sent me to the WORST direct hire I have EVER worked at - Dissinger Plan Administration and Design - RUN FAR AWAY if anyone ever tries to send you there!!
    I've since heard Apple One is one of THE WORST staffing companies in Los Angeles and now I know why.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your temps if they tell you they can't work for less than a certain amount and if they need to be temporary only. Also ask them how their assignment or job is going or how it went if they are no longer there and BELIEVE them if they tell you that company is abusive or otherwise terrible!

"Staffing Consultant / Executive Recruiter"

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-LOTS of training in sales and recruiting. If you had the minimum amount of sales in past jobs but have a go-getter attitude and interview well, then you'll most likely get the job.
    -Great foundation for staffing because there is a lot of training.
    -Company hires really great people. They really do. I made great friends that I kept in touch with since then. It probably helps that everyone bonds over being so miserable and stressed.
    -Bernie Howroyd is honestly the sweetest, kindest man. He had a great vision years ago, and unfortunately, I believe it's turned into a money machine for upper management instead of something genuinely great for it's employees.

Cons

TURN AND BURN should be their slogan. During my time there, we went through at least 11 employees before even 9 months went by, and when I was let go, I was the 12th. Hiring made "human", YEAH RIGHT. For a staffing firm to lecture clients on client retention, they are terrible at it. They either invest in new employees for the first 3 months then forget you, unless you miraculously make it to 28 years, then they treat you like an untouchable god. Everyone in between falls by the wayside. Don't expect growth and support for promotion unless you're willing to be a drone that drinks the AppleOne Kool-Aid. You really aren't set-up to succeed here, and it's a shame that they take really great, eager humans and suck their motivation and eagerness dry with micromanagement and hypocrisy. You're told this job is "more than a 9-5" job, then get micromanaged on your time and refused to pay ov

Advice to Management

See your employees for more than just your money making drones and really invest in them.

"Wonderful Staffing service"

Former Employee - Contractor in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Glendale, CA

Pros

I worked with AppleOne on and off for 3 years, and they did very well in finding me assignments, including many long-term assignments.

My scores were high in computer use, so I probably had an advantage, but I really enjoyed my time working for them.

Cons

I wish they'd been able to put me in a temp-to-hire position, so I could have gotten out of the contractor game and gotten some decent health and vacation benefits, but I don't begrudge them too much for that.

"Computer Technician"

Former Employee - Supervisor of Elections in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor of Elections in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quick placement. They help the employees to be successful selecting the best fit for open positions.

Cons

Just a few jobs in Information Technology

"Human Resource Assistant"

Current Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Assistant in Glendale, CA

I have been working at AppleOne (More than a year)

Pros

Follow up promptly regarding placement, time-cards, and payroll.

Cons

None at the moment.

"Legal Secretary"

Former Employee - Litigation Legal Secretary in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Legal Secretary in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne (Less than a year)

Pros

They find employers for you to work for.

Cons

Your pay is reduced as the agency gets 30% or more. They don't place you very often.

"Staffing Consultant"

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work with. Commission makes up for low base. Only hire the best, you will fit in with the team dynamic if selected. The managers really care about you.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. Only quick learners will survive. Trial and error. One must get used to hearing no a lot.

10. "AppleOne"

Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary Employee in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work. It was nice to have the opportunity to work for many different employers. I enjoyed my time with AppleOne.

Cons

Sometimes it was difficult to get assignments. I think that I would have had an easier time if I made less money.

Advice to Management

I don't really have an advice for management because it didn't seem to affect me either positively or negatively. I do have some advice for Glassdoor to stop stringing people along with endless additional steps to get access though.