AppleOne Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppleOne CEO Janice Bryant Howroyd
Janice Bryant Howroyd

Pros
  • Great company if you're looking for certain types of temp work (in 20 reviews)

• They work hard to find you a job (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They lure you in with promises of good paying jobs that will be temp to hire (in 14 reviews)

• i believe that Apple One as a corporation changed due to a merger or a buy out sometime after august of 2014 (in 17 reviews)

1. "Great employment agency"

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Camarillo, CA
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at AppleOne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work hard to find you a job. They match your resume with job openings they have. They present you to prospective employers.

Cons

I have had no cons with this employment agency. They have worked harder for me than any other agency. And I have dealt with several.

Advice to Management

They really match your resume to openings in your desired field. They are a proactive advocate for you.

2. "Staffing Consultant"

Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AppleOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clear cut career path.

Cons

Training could be a little better but good overall.

3. "Great Folks Working for You"

Current Employee - Associate in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at AppleOne part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They work for you to gain you work experience. Great option if you are just starting out.

Cons

There are inherent disadvantages to working for a temp agency, but all in all not bad.

Advice to Management

Coordinate exact times to call individuals.

5. "Temporary Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love my Rep. Maribel Flores, she is always available and assigns me great opportunities.

Cons

There is downtime between assignments sometimes.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internal database system is very user friendly and efficient. Strong training programs for all levels of personnel, even if coming in with no prior industry experience. Large company with a local feel, ideal for being able to make individualized decisions based on customers needs. Nice incentive programs, i.e. Founder's Club and additional perks outside of commission plan.

Cons

So many politics at upper management level including Branch Managers. Found management to lack compassion and certainly have no idea of the meaning of empathy.

Advice to Management

Employees don't quit jobs they quit their managers.

"Staffing Consultant / Executive Recruiter"

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Staffing Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-LOTS of training in sales and recruiting. If you had the minimum amount of sales in past jobs but have a go-getter attitude and interview well, then you'll most likely get the job.
    -Great foundation for staffing because there is a lot of training.
    -Company hires really great people. They really do. I made great friends that I kept in touch with since then. It probably helps that everyone bonds over being so miserable and stressed.
    -Bernie Howroyd is honestly the sweetest, kindest man. He had a great vision years ago, and unfortunately, I believe it's turned into a money machine for upper management instead of something genuinely great for it's employees.

Cons

TURN AND BURN should be their slogan. During my time there, we went through at least 11 employees before even 9 months went by, and when I was let go, I was the 12th. Hiring made "human", YEAH RIGHT. For a staffing firm to lecture clients on client retention, they are terrible at it. They either invest in new employees for the first 3 months then forget you, unless you miraculously make it to 28 years, then they treat you like an untouchable god. Everyone in between falls by the wayside. Don't expect growth and support for promotion unless you're willing to be a drone that drinks the AppleOne Kool-Aid. You really aren't set-up to succeed here, and it's a shame that they take really great, eager humans and suck their motivation and eagerness dry with micromanagement and hypocrisy. You're told this job is "more than a 9-5" job, then get micromanaged on your time and refused to pay ov

Advice to Management

See your employees for more than just your money making drones and really invest in them.

"HR"

Current Contractor - Human Resources Professional in Orange, CA
    Current Contractor - Human Resources Professional in Orange, CA

I have been working at AppleOne as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

My professional background is 15 years or more providing top customer service for the employer's and employee's. I enjoy working as an HR Professional and supporting companies with their needs to ensure the companies are in compliance with the Federal And State Laws of California.

Cons

I am currently seeking for a Direct Hire or Long Term Contract. I have a lot to offer as an HR Professional my goal is to be the best team player for the employer. I prefer Direct Hire job opportunities to earn benefits such as vacation and holiday pay.

Advice to Management

In my roles the best advice to Managements is to be at your best and to remember the importance of ethics. Additionally documentation, training, coaching, and effective planning for meetings.

"Staffing Consultant / Recruiter / Account Executive"

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant/Recruiter/Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AppleOne full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Staffing Consultant position is great to get your foot in the door. You will be exposed to a lot of sales and recruiting.
    It is an entry level SALES position! If you do not have much sales experience, your chances of being hired will be smaller.
    You DO NOT NEED A DEGREE to be hired. As long as you're a people's person with great presentation, you will be fine. I worked with people who barely graduated from High School.

Cons

- TURNOVER: I worked there for less than a year and saw 12+ people quit, get fired or laid off. Don't get too attached. This is a SALES position so if you do not meet your numbers: You're out!

- LOW SALARY, COMMISSIONS AND BENEFITS: AppleOne provides a base (Thank God) + commissions structure. However, you will work hourly and won't be offered Overtime (Unless the Division Manager approves, which is rare). Their commission structure is ridiculous. You will get a different type of commission for Temporary, Temp to Hire and Direct Hire Placements. Do not expect to make $500+ in commission each month unless you've been there 8 months minimum. Why? Because you need to build your pipeline of candidates, you need to get new clients and know the business strategies. Benefits are basic, not too crazy. You will also get 5 vacations days and 5 sick days you can use after 6 months!

- REPETITIVE TASKS: You will do the EXACT same thing forever: recruit candidate, acquire new clients, place candidates. Repeat. There is no room for improvement in terms of responsibilities unless you become the manager of a branch! You will be MICROMANAGED all the time!! For example: You have to do at least 15 calls a day, if you do 13 of them, you will get a slap on your hands.

- FRUSTRATION: You will be extremely frustrated. Your money is in the hands of your clients and candidates. You can work as much as you want, spending 10+ hours working on a client's file. At the end of the day, the client can tell you: "Never mind I found someone" or "Never mind I am not interested anymore. On the other side, your client can tell you: "I want Nancy to start Monday"; you call your candidate Nancy, really excited to get your commission and Nancy says "Sorry I found something" or "Sorry I changed my mind and don't want the job". Here goes 10+ hours of work for nothing! There is a crazy amount of data entry and admin work, get ready for it!

- TEAMWORK: If you're lucky, you will be working with a great team. Some branches produce more than others. Consequently, you have more chances to place candidates and get your commission. There is also a universal database. In other words, every single AppleOne employee has access to every single candidate. People from other AppleOne branches will steal your candidates to place them for their clients. Therefore they will not have to split their commission with you and avoid the entire work of interviewing, calling references etc. It happened all the time.

- OLD STRATEGIES: The company did not change its principles since 1970. They swear by the owner Bernie (Amazing guy.) However, they fail to adapt themselves to a changing industry. Their software is old and they do not update their ideas.

Advice to Management

Give us REALISTIC incentives and contests! Updates your ideas and concepts. AppleOne is capable of so much more. Your turnover is ridiculously high, demotivating teams. You sell a service based on employee's retention, meanwhile you fail to apply it.

AppleOne is like an Orange pressing machine. They will squeeze you, the orange, until you're out of juice and will throw you away if you do not produce anymore. Totally perfect for Corporation making money, devastating for the employee.

10. "County Clerk"

Current Contractor - Contract Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Contract Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AppleOne as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job and working environment.

Cons

Wish the contract was open for more benefits.

"Newport Beach Branch Terrible"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at AppleOne (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Stay busy

Cons

Very rude managers
    Micro-management
    Strict Dress Code
    Cliques
    Double Standards
    Poor training

Advice to Management

Don't be so condescending. Quit choosing favorites.