Applebee's Reviews | Glassdoor

Julia Stewart

3,016 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "long hours, little upwards movement" (in 188 reviews)

• "Long hours extremely late nights" (in 59 reviews)

1. "Bartender"

I worked at Applebee's full-time

Pros

Fun environment
    Fast paced
    Good food
    Growth opportunities

Cons

Over works employees but then cuts down on over time
    Not really good benefits for front of house

2. "Great for gaining experience in the customer service world"

Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Server/Waiter in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tips - You can take cash home that same day
    You can trade off a shift to another employee willing to work for you

Cons

Your tips will not always be reliable
    You do not have only job. You dont just take orders, you have duties in the kitchen while working the floor and also when the customers leave and you are working the closing shift.

Advice to Management

Always pay attention to those who dont work as hard as others. Some employees will get favored because of the amount of customers they bring in daily, however when working with those employees they tend to be selfish and not helpful to other team members.

3. "Server"

I have been working at Applebee's part-time

Pros

Friendly. Organized. Family friendly employee opinionsare takin in to consideration

Cons

Not enough buisness at times during the year. Prices are to low

4. "I want to enjoy my job."

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Stow, OH
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Stow, OH

I have been working at Applebee's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Typical 4 hour shifts. They tend to not overstaff the floor.

Cons

The systems are outdated. The tip outs are odd.

Advice to Management

Polite, but fake.

5. "Server"

I worked at Applebee's part-time

Pros

Nice managers, nice co workers

Cons

Clientele, hours of operation too late

6. "Great Place to Work at my location"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High checks. Can be $50+ checks for a two-top. So much more per table than when I worked at Cracker Barrel!
    - My store had a very competent kitchen crew and expo so I didn't have to fix much when I went out to the table to see if everything was fine. That really helps with tips! - Almost all the menu items fit on one plate which means its less likely something gets left behind. Electronic ticket system so there is no random pieces of paper that can get lost.
    - This may seem small, but I loved the hand washing sink right next to where you drop off the dishes!
    - Bar drinks get run very quickly usually
    - Good management at our location
    - Rarely had angry guests at my location
    - Wealthier crowd so you are more likely to get over 20% if you do a stellar job
    - I got at least $800 worth of free food vouchers due to "very satisfied" surveys from customers, reaching daily sales goals, and going "above and beyond". Some Applebees only allow you to redeem $10 at a time, but my Applebees allowed me to take my family out to eat and pay with vouchers.
    - You can take a big table by yourself and don't have to split it like you have to do at Cracker Barrel if its 8 or more (which is annoying to me). They trust you with multiple big tables if you can handle it.
    - At my location, management pitched in and helps during busy times - expo, bussing & wiping tables, helping the hosts, running food, etc.
    - At my location they didn't mind if you ran your own food when it was sitting there ready, vs at Cracker Barrel they forced me to run other people's food out of principle when my tables food was just sitting there!
    - Lots of big tables in my restaurant (yay more money!)
    - At my store they give you an afternoon break if you communicate that is what you like. They didn't do that at Cracker Barrel we had to eat in 3 minute intervals.
    - As long as you work hard, don't make any mistakes, and lay low (i.e. not getting in the managers log except for complimentary things) then management are happy and you can quickly get good shifts, larger sections, and other rewards.
    - Can make $20 to $30 an hour on a busy night. $30 an hour is not uncommon on a really busy night. The only time I made $30 an hour at Cracker Barrel was when I had someone else helping me one time in my two years of working there.
    - They promote in-house to middle manager positions readily when they see someone's potential even if they haven't been there a year yet.
    - management actually comps things off checks if the food comes out wrong, it isn't like pulling teeth to make that happen.
    - buys pizza and other food for everyone when your so busy the kitchen can't make people food. Gives people breaks to go eat while manager or other servers watch their section.
    - Scheduling isn't chaotic, is possible to work towards having a regular schedule it you are a valuable employee
    - Enough staff usually, but they cut easily (both good things).

Cons

- Have to pay 3% of sales as tip share to the company who in splits it between the bar tender and the hosts who bus your tables. Makes sense however so the bar tender is motivated to make your drinks over the people at their counter which tip them. Also nice on a busy night to have people bussing and wiping your tables, can turn table faster and there are a lot of big checks. However, if someone stiffs you, you have to take money out of your pocket to pay the tip share so that can seem like adding insult to injury.
    - competitive for the good shifts, have to prove your worth or you get slow lunch shifts. You have to work hard and be able to handle large groups to get the real money-making shifts. However I have seen new people get them fairly quickly as long as they lay low, make minimal mistakes, candle handle large sections, and work hard on their sidewalk etc.
    - lunch shifts can be pretty slow sometimes at my location and when I first was hired sometimes I would make less than minimum wage total for a lunch shift. However, as I got better at my job and at timing the courses etc I might only get a few tables, but I would get $9 or $10 per table so I still was at least $13/hr total.
    - sometimes had to fix steaks but that is an element wherever you go
     - Minimal tolerance for mistakes among managers, you really have to have your act together. However I was glad because it meant they were making sure everyone else did what they were supposed to do.
    - This restaurant can be difficult for people who have no serving experience. You can have three eight tops and a four top in your section on a Friday night sometimes, and you are handling guest payments too, so you really have to be able to handle it. Although they will give you small sections if you absolutely can't handle big tables, but that doesn't look good if you can't handle bit tables. At times I have had two 10-tops at once, with separate checks and people pointing to random people telling whose check is with who and I have to process payment. I have seen quite a few new people who didn't last very long.
    - Management doesn't communicate that you are not reaching their standards, they just slowly cut your hours or give you the inferior shifts until you stop slacking and start doing your sidewalk competently and pre-bus your tables, etc.
    - if you get overwhelmed in a big section, it might be awhile until you get a big section again if everyone wants the big sections, it only takes one mess up to have months in smaller sections when you might make more money in a big section.
    - Can't put food on trays (only drinks when needed) so its tough on your wrists if your arms are long and your wrists are not muscular. That is why I quit my wrists were having some trouble. But if you have shorter arms or not tiny wrists like me you may be okay. One reason the no-trays rule is in place because someone dropped a sizzling skillet on a guest once, thankfully no one was hurt but their expensive jacket was ruined. Since then, no food on trays.
    - I had to work every Sunday afternoon lunch, had to work weekends to make the most money.
    - don't get health insurance option for a year of full-time work, at least that was my situation
    - Most of my vacation money check was taken for taxes but I guess that isn't their fault.
    - If a guest walks out on a check you may have to pay for it yourself. Sometimes they have mercy and comp the whole check, but that is the general rule so that you don't treat your friends and say "whoops! they didn't pay". However at my location they actually prosecute people who walk out on their check if they can, unlike other places I have worked.
    - Late night can be crazy busy and sometimes you are on a three-chart and a zillion teenagers come in, drink 4-5 glasses of soda each and don't tip well. But then again the young working guys come and give you $5 a piece for just wings so it evens out in the end.
    - If your section is far from the kitchen it takes longer to walk to guests

Advice to Management

I wish we could have a microwave on the expo line. And my location was wonderful, but when I subbed at another location the night fry cook was really slacking, on her phone with her boyfriend with ear buds and ticket times were long for late night several different nights and she didn't seem to hear us or care. She deserved to be fired.

7. "I loved columbus ga location, but the LaGrange location was a joke!"

Former Employee - Server in Lagrange, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Lagrange, GA

I worked at Applebee's (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a great atmosphere and food!

Cons

The restuarants are too dark.

8. "Ok job"

I worked at Applebee's full-time

Pros

good pay and benefits. Liked the staff and work pace

Cons

Upper management support. Too many bosses

9. "Great atmosphere, terrible management"

I have been working at Applebee's part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, great customers, great overall company

Cons

- Management oblivious to numerous issues
    - Most staff members careless and lazy

10. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Server in Fishers, IN

I worked at Applebee's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, great management, flexible schedule

Cons

It must be hard to find fellow hard working team members.

Showing 3,016 of 3,032 reviews