Applerouth Tutoring Services SAT/ACT Tutor Reviews | Glassdoor

Applerouth Tutoring Services Reviews

Updated 8 Oct 2019

4.0
Applerouth Tutoring Services CEO Jed Applerouth (no image)
Jed Applerouth
  1. "Great work for college student"

Former Employee - Test Proctor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent way to spend weekends as a student - I could get some work done while proctoring. Remote staff was easy to contact and I never had any problems with the sites. Minimal effort besides traveling to tests sites and dropping off packages.

Cons

Sometimes tests were cancelled last minute if attendance was low, which would be inconvenient.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2019-10-08
  2. "Good part-time work, careful about travel time"

Former Employee - Tutor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good wage for young tutors, plenty of support and training

Cons

Travel time only kicked in past a certain as the crow flies mileage, so ended up scheduling my students specifically to actually get paid for going from one place to another.

Advice to Management

Pay per mile for travel.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2019-04-19

"Good starting pay, but so much unpaid work and pressure to take on more students"

Former Employee - Tutor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time

Pros

Good starting pay Friendly staff Lots of help with learning how to be a better tutor Help when families are being unreasonable

Cons

Constant pressure to take on more and more students - can be pretty manipulative Hours upon hours of unpaid work - writing reports, communicating with parents, prepping for students (especially students who are struggling more) - I probably worked twice the hours I was paid for (and that level of service is expected) Parents are paying so much more than tutors are being paid - they expect tutors to be immediately... responsive. It can feel like you never get a day off. Trainings are required and paid at minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Some sort of pay for all of the extra work and way less pressure to take on more students. If you could retain tutors more effectively, you wouldn’t have to pressure tutors to take on higher workloads than they want.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2019-03-02
  4. "Pretty good job but commitment required"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time

Pros

Pay, Independence, and opportunity for bonuses

Cons

Fluctuating schedule (you have to reschedule a lot)

Applerouth Tutoring Services2019-02-16
  5. "Good, but higher expectations than one might think"

Current Employee - Preferred Tutor

I have been working at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can set your own schedule to a degree. People in the office are cool, the kind of people you'd want to hang out with, nice and casual. Management does support you against very unreasonable families. Good pay for a part time job Dogs in the office! Rewarding to get close to kids and see them learn.

Cons

Uncompensated outside work which is "built into the pay," including phone calls with parents (and some parents will keep you on the line for the hour), detailed TPS reports, driving to and from the office to get more supplies for your kid, answering emails and phone calls from parents/students/Applerouth management promptly. The parents pay upwards of $100/hour for work you get paid $22/hour for and they sometimes... expect you to be on-call for them 24/7 as if you were really making $100/hour. If you work this job during university, you're likely working a lot on weekends anyway, and it can make it feel like there's no rest. You can set your own schedule, but they'll always try to get you to take more kids than you'd like and it can be exhausting to always turn them down. Unless you're very firm you will end up compromising to some degree.

Advice to Management

Pay us for the work we do off the clock, even if it's minimum wage.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2019-01-05

"Applerouth Runs on Hours of Free Labor"

I have been working at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time

Pros

- Flexible schedule, although there is constantly pressure for you to take on students that forces you to make compromises - LGBTQ friendly

Cons

- Unreasonably high (and uncompensated) expectations about "customer service." Hours of uncompensated work spent on : detailed reports about each session with a kid, long phone calls and late-night texts from parents and students, prompt responses to internal company emails, learning new material to teach, preparing lessons. Also, relying on the care we have for our students to offset this is manipulative. - You... will travel a ton and be paid for it only up to a certain point.

Advice to Management

- Pay employees at least 1 hour for prep time for every 2 hour session. If you want quality customer service, pay for it. - Pay employees a fixed wage for time spent traveling in addition to fair gas compensation.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2018-12-13
  7. "Good company to tutor for--if you can get in"

I have been working at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time

Pros

-Very supportive company -Clients tend to regard Applerouth highly -Communication focus is on the clients and not the tutoring company

Cons

-Hiring is very competitive -Their ACT/SAT tutoring methods require extensive learning, but they walk you through it -Wages feel like they could be a bit more

Applerouth Tutoring Services2018-08-03
  8. "Great company for part time employees"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hourly wage Pick your own schedule (to a degree, the students have to be available) Great co-workers (everyone is a little quirky which means you fit right in no matter who you are) $2/hour raises per year (if you do what you're supposed to in the company. Professionalism, keeping clients happy, being organized, scores are at or above average, etc.)

Cons

It's difficult to move to a full-time position, which is the only way to get benefits.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2018-03-23

"Good Part Time Job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Applerouth Tutoring Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very friendly and helpful supervisors

Cons

Pay looks good up front, but if you are driving to students the time to get there is only paid by the mile which can significantly reduce the amount you are paid for the total amount of time you spent getting there and tutoring.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2018-03-14
  10. "Premium Tutor"

Current Employee - Premium Tutor in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Working part time offers the ability to set up a schedule that works best for you . The management does a great job of providing support and meeting the needs of tutors.

Cons

Working evenings and weekends is not always ideal for me.

Advice to Management

I think tutor compensation improvements could improve employee retention.

Applerouth Tutoring Services2018-02-24