Applied Industrial Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Applied Industrial Technologies CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Pros
  • Good company, great management and co-workers, Highly organized (in 5 reviews)

• Some good people at the branch level (in 5 reviews)

"Pros and cons"

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time

Pros

Applied has treated me well over the years and rewarded me for quality work. Having a good manager is key. They are fairly flexible and understanding of employee needs and there are opportunities to learn or enhance skills if you are proactive. If your willing to put in some extra time and if you can demonstrate the capability to excel in certain areas you will be provided the added responsibility which will be a strong resume builder.
    The new applied website is a step in the right direction of pushing technology.

Cons

Just because your building skillsets does not mean you'll receive a promotion. You can become stuck in a role despite taking on more responsibility which is then just absorbed by your position. This can lead to discouragement from doing so in the future.
    Some benefits have been cut back recently such as profit sharing and a decrease in bonus size.
    Brand is not well known outside the industry.
    Economic climate poses some challenges to the business.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between departments. Become leaner and more technology driven. Focus on employee development.

"Was once a great company and now is only stock holder driven"

Current Employee - SCM in Sherman, TX
    Current Employee - SCM in Sherman, TX

Pros

The other CSSRs. We try our hardest to help each other.

Cons

Upper and middle management are terrible. Very micro-managing. You are not allowed to help all customers because you have to focus all your time on the SA accounts, which give you no profit to make bonus. This company grew to be a powerhouse thanks to the amazing customer support and now they have taken all that away. Management is always blaming everything on the lower level employees, even though they do not have the support needed. Everything has gone downhill will AIT.
    I have currently been with Applied for 6 years and have watched it go downhill. I am currently catching grief over taking my son to doctors appointments to check to see if he has cancer or not. Previous regime took care of the employees and we grew into a massive company. Do you think the current regime will ever learn that?

Advice to Management

Clean house. Need to look at CEO down to the GMs. Be more associate and customer oriented. That will make you more money.

"Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers great insurance benefits, regional and corporate support. I would recommend this company for anyone looking to break into the industrial distribution selling environment.

Cons

Sales training can be a challenge and communication with the service within the service center can be a challenge if one is not a self-starter. Entrepreneurial mindset is a must!!

"Sales"

Current Employee - CSSR in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSSR in New York, NY

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is employment. The pay is slightly above average in our area. Steady, normal hours. Benefits are fine, not amazing, but not bad.

Cons

Extreme disorganization and lack of training.
    SAP allows corporate to monitor everything and they produce endless reports that take up time that is better spent actually working. Instead of allowing employees to have some responsibility, everything is micromanaged which seriously hinders productivity. Corporate creates agreements with large customers at very low margins and then they push you to increase margin. This is not possible when the prices are predetermined and cannot be changed. The stores are run as lean as possible which creates issues when someone is sick or on vacation and customers cannot be served in an acceptable manner.
    VERY high stress position. Company does not stand behind their employees when issues arise.
    Very disappointing company to work for.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate managers and offer them training on how to lead people instead of using stress, impending doom to make their employees "mind".
    Reduce reporting. It reduces the amount of time employees are able to work, instead, they have to clean up reports in case someone sees they are behind.
    MORE training. Noone at the store level knows how to use SAP as it should be used. There needs to be standard operating procedures for all basic daily transactions that are readily available for everyone instead of winging it and then getting in trouble for it when no one knows the correct procedure.
    Upper management needs to be more visible to all employees. The most positive interactions I have had were with my regional and absolutely NOT with my GM.

6. "The sales guy at Applied"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Great place to work. Great freedom to diversify go to market strategies to end users.

Cons

Needs improvement in obtaining market research for each state to understand the market.

7. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

The company did a great job of training me and invested a lot into my success. Great managers and support all around.

Cons

Takes time to build a territory but it does anywhere.

"Finance analyst"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Large company, offers many benefits and perks like insurance, cafeteria, and work out facility.

Cons

yeah I'm probably not going to to put anything here because it's linked to my email address ... you know just in case

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a really swell job, if this were 1980, time to change with the times.

9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Manager DC Shop Services in Kelso, WA
    Current Employee - Manager DC Shop Services in Kelso, WA

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company challenges to grow. Hard work an dedication pay iff

Cons

Great management team great associate team work. Growth potential

Advice to Management

Need to change associates attitude that they are not appreciated. Morale is bad in the field

10. "The morale is crap"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Cordova, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Cordova, TN

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a company who has fallen in love with metrics at the expense of sales professionals who actually pay the bills. It's over managed and under supervised.

Cons

If you come to work here get ready to get the least amount of face to face time with your customers that you can imagine. Managers sit back and wring their hands over numbers. That's their function to relay a never ending stream of meaningless computer data to you and constantly push to meet the goals Cleveland set with absolutely no input from the field. The MSS division is losing reps and managers at an astounding rate.
    You will get a lot of complaints about poor service, inflated freight charges, and lack of inventory.

Advice to Management

Get a real job. Quit calling the sales staff at night and on weekends for information for more idiotic reports

11. "AIT is a great company to work for"

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time

Pros

Free parking, headquarters located downtown, on-site fitness center and cafeteria, good benefits and pay, friendly and professional atmosphere

Cons

Higher level communication could use improvement