Applied Industrial Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Applied Industrial Technologies CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • advance opportunity good people to work with (in 7 reviews)

• Good Benefits, Great Support, Inventory (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement or promotion (in 4 reviews)

• Upper Management in certain regions from the Regional Manager up to the President needs to be changed out (in 6 reviews)

1. "All about the money not the people"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in America, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in America, IN

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time

Pros

They offer many resources

Cons

They forget it's the people who make the place run

Advice to Management

Worry about the employees and you won't have to worry about the stockholder

2. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall company, good benefits and great workers.

Cons

Upper Management in certain regions from the Regional Manager up to the President needs to be changed out. The company treats employees like a number in the computer not a human being. Pay is less then it should be compared to other companies. Lacks loyalty to even long term employees. Very low moral.

Advice to Management

Waste of time, the bottom line is the only thing that matters due to the board and shareholders. If you have another opportunity with another company, take it you may be happier with your decision.

3. "Sell your soul and you'll survive"

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time

Pros

Great pay, paid my relocation costs. Always 40 hours a week.

Cons

Regional Sales Manager can not control his territory. Always fighting between branches. Plays Favorites and does not have his employees best interest at heart. He is focused on keeping corporate happy and that is it.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for the sales person

Cons

Not very organized, lots of turnover

5. "Cssr"

Former Employee - CSSR
    Former Employee - CSSR

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and bonus programs...

Cons

Was hoping to be my dream job upon returning to customer service. Not so much.. unfairness and favoritism...no training just throw you into a very complex SAP system.. you are on your own...and they work you to the point of silly. Warehouse person was mean and customers they delivered to did not like them either. Money was decent but you earned every penny of it. Too much management in one office.. Account mgrs are spread too thin .. keep looking...better jobs out there. ..

Advice to Management

Treat the people on the front lines a whole lot better. We just put out fires all day long....understaffed for volume of work you require.

"Upper Management Needs to Go"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks, nice starting salary, great experience, and you meet a lot of great contacts.

Cons

Depending on where you are, you will have mid level management killing your efforts trying to get you to complete all the extra nonsense they send you to do other than sell. Hopefully, your inside crew does not have a "pass the buck" attitude and has initiative to make money.

Regardless, management from the top needs to change. This company is in the stone age when it comes to technology and innovation. Its still holding on the the success it had in the past.

Also, they seem to say anything to get what they want, and then flip the script whenever they want without regard for personal (financial) sacrifice. I'm not really speaking about myself as much as I'm speaking in regards to what I seen happen to other employees.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can say will save this company from the disaster that is SAP

7. "Old school vision"

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people at the branch level

Cons

Management by intimidation above the Branch level.
    Organic growth sounds sounds good but in reality the only growth appears to be through acquisition.

Advice to Management

People are your greatest asset. Time to evaluate the culture you cultivate. Time to look at your future and how will you stay relevant in a rapidly changing industrial marketplace.

"Sales"

Current Employee - CSSR in New York, NY
    Current Employee - CSSR in New York, NY

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is employment. The pay is slightly above average in our area. Steady, normal hours. Benefits are fine, not amazing, but not bad.

Cons

Extreme disorganization and lack of training.
    SAP allows corporate to monitor everything and they produce endless reports that take up time that is better spent actually working. Instead of allowing employees to have some responsibility, everything is micromanaged which seriously hinders productivity. Corporate creates agreements with large customers at very low margins and then they push you to increase margin. This is not possible when the prices are predetermined and cannot be changed. The stores are run as lean as possible which creates issues when someone is sick or on vacation and customers cannot be served in an acceptable manner.
    VERY high stress position. Company does not stand behind their employees when issues arise.
    Very disappointing company to work for.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate managers and offer them training on how to lead people instead of using stress, impending doom to make their employees "mind".
    Reduce reporting. It reduces the amount of time employees are able to work, instead, they have to clean up reports in case someone sees they are behind.
    MORE training. Noone at the store level knows how to use SAP as it should be used. There needs to be standard operating procedures for all basic daily transactions that are readily available for everyone instead of winging it and then getting in trouble for it when no one knows the correct procedure.
    Upper management needs to be more visible to all employees. The most positive interactions I have had were with my regional and absolutely NOT with my GM.

9. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great training programs, good people to work with.

Cons

Market rivalry is very high, Applied has had to lower their margins to compete.

10. "Good luck in Sales. You are going to need it!"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AIT has a decent pay structure for Account Managers, but you need help to get there. Unfortunately, you won't get the help you need because the company is stretched so thin that everyone is overworked and can't help you or even keep up with their own jobs. The company has great benefits. That's the best thing I can say.

Cons

Rolling out SAP in 2013 was a disaster. The company took a giant step backwards. The challenge was not getting orders, it was saving orders from being cancelled. Hopefully things are better now. Too much paperwork for sales guys.

Advice to Management

Hire more people at each service center or you will never get ahead of your competitors.