Applied Industrial Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 29, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Applied Industrial Technologies CEO Neil A. Schrimsher
Neil A. Schrimsher

Pros
  • Good company, great management and co-workers, Highly organized (in 5 reviews)

• Some good people at the branch level (in 5 reviews)

1. "Collection Specialist/AR"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

central location, laid back, friendly, love their charity work

Cons

They do not honor loyalty of their employees that has been with them for an extensive time period.

Advice to Management

I would suggest treating their long time employees with more respect and stop discriminating because of age.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Long Point on the Magothy, MD
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Long Point on the Magothy, MD

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

fairly busy, fun clients, Todd

Cons

Management, Management, Management, Management, Management

Advice to Management

Pick a way of doing things and stick with it. Be open to new ideas from staff. Treat your staff like people not toilet paper.

"Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company offers great insurance benefits, regional and corporate support. I would recommend this company for anyone looking to break into the industrial distribution selling environment.

Cons

Sales training can be a challenge and communication with the service within the service center can be a challenge if one is not a self-starter. Entrepreneurial mindset is a must!!

5. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Online Sales * in Miramar, FL
    Former Employee - Online Sales * in Miramar, FL

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Large Company with a reputable name and great products.

Cons

No company vehicle provided. Lots and lots of driving primarily on your own dime.

6. "The sales guy at Applied"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Great place to work. Great freedom to diversify go to market strategies to end users.

Cons

Needs improvement in obtaining market research for each state to understand the market.

7. "Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like outside sales and I am good at it.

Cons

AIT is downsizing.Most recently laid off.

Advice to Management

Not up to me.

"Finance analyst"

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Large company, offers many benefits and perks like insurance, cafeteria, and work out facility.

Cons

yeah I'm probably not going to to put anything here because it's linked to my email address ... you know just in case

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a really swell job, if this were 1980, time to change with the times.

"OK"

Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Programmer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

very good manager. made a lot of close friends at work. could work a pretty traditional 7am - 4pm day with very little overtime.

Cons

I had a very good manager, but many of the other high level folks in IT were very average.

Advice to Management

they placed very little value on employees trying to better themselves (Graduate school, for example). In fact, one former CIO once said in a mtg...and I am paraphrasing here....'Tell all your employees that just because they get an MBA, does not mean they get a raise'. he was missing the point entirely. those individuals that get those advanced degrees are exactly the people you want to keep. many of them (although, not all) are the leaders of the future. I have seen so many companies take talented people for granted. In fact, when I left Applied Industrial, I got a raise of more than 20%. This was not an anomaly. Many other folks that I know, who also moved on from AIT, had the same experience.

10. "Typical Warehouse Job"

Former Employee - Shipper in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Shipper in Florence, KY

I worked at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers with solid camaraderie as well as a good work-life balance. The work is not difficult and after some experience you can count on being cross-trained to other jobs within the DC.

Cons

No room for advancement within distribution center and not much encouragement from management.

Advice to Management

Share opportunities for advancement with employees. Reevaluate position requirements to assure that the current holders can still cut it.

"Good company being damaged by new management style."

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Applied Industrial Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great knowledge base in the experienced personnel. Personnel are very professional and always willing to help others and always do their best for the customers.

Cons

Losing good people at an astonishing pace. Hourly personnel struggle to complete their tasks in the 8 hour day. Salaried people are expected to complete all non selling activities on their own time including SAP training. Vendor training is now expected to be completed after 5PM. The Home/Work balance is no more.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your Sellers, Inside and Outside. Customers are not happy with the diminishing resources in the branches.