Applied Information Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2019

4.2
Fred Elleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay packages with nice work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Don't see any pros as there won't except the flexible Work from Home option" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "When you are happy from your bottom of the heart, its very hard to find cons" (in 4 reviews)

• "The job security here is dam low" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good company. The company culture is of fairness and opportunity to grow. I have the sense I work among very smart, innovative coworkers who make my work more interesting and keep us all more productive as a team. I look forward to my work every day.

Cons

Some of the senior employees who will be retiring in coming years will be missed. But they are training their subordinates to carry on the engaging and successful company philosophy.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Product Owner in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Product Owner in Reston, VA

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management is very informed, great benefits

Cons

Most contracts are with DOD, commute to DC

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you doing

Jan 19, 2019 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for the review! We greatly appreciate it.

"Buzzwords trump a quality solution."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, occasional outings to baseball games. The salary was decent, but the raises are not much even with a good review. Parking expenses are paid for. Really good work, life balance.

The location is very nice, right near Reston Town Center and the W&OD Trail by the Metro. Office is nice if you like to live in a cube.

Cons

The organizational structure is not clearly defined or articulated, and management will always have some sort of justification for any concerns. It is very difficult to raise any concerns to management without being deemed a problem child.

Everyone in the office keeps to themselves, you can walk past upper management folks for years without them actually knowing who you are. There is no guidance or room for growth, as management is constantly fixated on delivering a "minimum viable product" as quickly as possible despite having not defined what that is.

Aside from the chosen couple software engineers, management ignores the input of the development team. Management encourages poor coding practices in order to deliver a minimum viable product in as little time as possible. You will largely be looked down upon by management as just a code monkey.

Some in upper management are very snobby, one colleague was told directly that they do not earn enough for their concerns to be valid.

Business Analysts frequently spend entire days in meetings, and probably spend most of the work week in meetings. Many Business Analysts claim to have been software developers in order that they can push more rigorous deadlines or squeeze more "stories" into a sprint. They have likely never written any decent software, but will insert themselves into technical meetings and pressure teams to follow their guidance.

Working on that laptop is infuriating; I cannot count how many times any given developer was driven to rage because of it. Helpdesk consistently asserts there are driver issues, only to take the laptop and return it with the same exact issue. Ultimately you will stop bothering Helpdesk about it because they offer no solution and you'll end up spending the day trying to fix the garbage laptop. If you want a new laptop, you will have to spend your own money to get a new one.

Any effort you put into a project will go unnoticed outside the couple engineers you work with. Management will only meet any input you may have about a project with resistance unless you get one of their favorite engineers to back you up. Best-practice frequently is thrown out the window.

You may end up working on the same technologies for a very long time. When the time comes to upgrade, management will likely not want to put the effort into properly updating a solution forcing the team to piecemeal it into a new environment.

Because management pushes poorly engineered minimum viable products, a lot of time is spent fixing it. Management either does not understand it takes more effort to fix a poor solution than to put one together right from the start and maintain it, or they like the idea because customers are then stuck paying to have it fixed. Either way it is very discouraging, but any concerns are shrugged off and you will be silenced.

Advice to Management

Encourage people to give feedback, and actually address their concerns. The fact that people have used those horrible laptops for over two years and it has been a consistent issue shows how much you actually value people's time.

Value the input of development teams and try getting more input directly from them. Business Analysts frequently embellish reality or do not grasp the technical aspects of a solution.

Oct 16, 2018 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for the insight. As the company evolves, we're looking to better define/articulate how we structure the organization, how to better provide/receive communication to/from our workforce... More

4. "Very Good Company"

Pros

This company provides the benefits to work in latest technologies.

Cons

Keep up the good work.

Jan 2, 2018 – Talent Associate

We appreciate the review!

"Managing Partner"

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Business model and employee ownership attracts and retains great people. Focus on leading technology and personnel professional development investment. Heavily invested for growth.

Cons

We need more people but they are hard to find so we have to build them. This is expensive and time consuming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the professional development and growth investments. Look to grow in new areas. Stay focused on emerging technologies and the cloud.

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Associate

Thanks so much for the positive feedback – we greatly appreciate it! As a company, we completely understand how difficult it can be to hire experienced professionals, especially with the new... More

"Honest"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food and beer in the office. Random team events are fun. Flexible work schedule. Employees are nice and fun.

Cons

Lay offs are becoming common. The new leadership team is not good at all. They have a hard time seeing the full picture and being inclusive. The company is going through some major client problems. If you want stability or understanding from management, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring if you are going to lay off.

Jul 11, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for your review and your appreciation for our work hard, play hard culture. As a company we want to ensure that we provide our employees with an engaging environment, a solid... More

7. "Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies.

Cons

Voice can get lost if assigned to a large client.

Advice to Management

Ensure feedback is heard, at all levels.

May 16, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for the feedback - this is highly appreciated! We continue to improve our communication efforts among all of our employees and have utilized the past several months to elicit and... More

"Great benefits, horrible senior management"

Pros

Great benefits and nice work/life balance.

Cons

After "restructuring" the company has gone way downhill. Senior management needs to focus on being leaders rather than degrading people. It is sad to see what was once a great company be ruined by idiots. They are doing layoffs every year now and are not offering severance packages.

Advice to Management

Try inspiring your employees rather than degrading them. This is not the same company it was 3 years ago. Fred is no longer the CEO

May 30, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry that your experience at AIS did not match our intentions. As a company we are committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our... More

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They really care about their employees.

Cons

I do not see any cons at this point in my career here.

Apr 28, 2017 – Talent Manager

We appreciate the review!

10. "Review"

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Good trainings and good technology

Cons

None I know of currently

Advice to Management

Nothing specific at present

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Manager