Applied Information Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Fred Elleman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • We need more people but they are hard to find so we have to build them (in 3 reviews)

• More structure on career growth (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Don't regret my decision at all"

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start? I have been impressed every step of the way since joining this company. Sure, there are areas in which they can improve, but for a company with the growth that has occurred, they are above the standard. First of all, the recruiting team is one of the best and brightest that I have ever worked with. They were there every step of the way and providing valuable information. Other items of note are below:
    - AWESOME onboarding process
    - I've worked with some very good teams, and this is probably the best and brightest group of people I have ever worked with in IT.
    - Great leadership vision for future growth
    - Have adapted to the changing technologies and cloud focused.
    - They want you certified and will encourage and pay for it.
    To sum it all up, I have been impressed by every step of my journey since joining the company and look forward to what the future holds.

Cons

The one con, which is commonplace amongst Federal contracting companies is that much of the work is contract based. In saying that, the company has a great talent management team that works tirelessly to make sure employees stay competitive and can be placed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

Jun 5, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for the positive feedback! We’re glad to hear that our overall candidate experience has been a positive one and has transferred into a positive employee experience. We are... More

2. "Managing Partner"

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Business model and employee ownership attracts and retains great people. Focus on leading technology and personnel professional development investment. Heavily invested for growth.

Cons

We need more people but they are hard to find so we have to build them. This is expensive and time consuming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the professional development and growth investments. Look to grow in new areas. Stay focused on emerging technologies and the cloud.

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Associate

Thanks so much for the positive feedback – we greatly appreciate it! As a company, we completely understand how difficult it can be to hire experienced professionals, especially with the new... More

"Great benefits, horrible senior management"

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and nice work/life balance.

Cons

After "restructuring" the company has gone way downhill. Senior management needs to focus on being leaders rather than degrading people. It is sad to see what was once a great company be ruined by idiots. They are doing layoffs every year now and are not offering severance packages.

Advice to Management

Try inspiring your employees rather than degrading them. This is not the same company it was 3 years ago. Fred is no longer the CEO

May 30, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thank you for your feedback, we are sorry that your experience at AIS did not match our intentions. As a company we are committed to creating a transparent and collaborative environment for all our... More

4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

Pros

They really care about their employees.

Cons

I do not see any cons at this point in my career here.

Apr 28, 2017 – Talent Manager

We appreciate the review!

5. "Review"

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Good trainings and good technology

Cons

None I know of currently

Advice to Management

Nothing specific at present

Mar 20, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thanks for the feedback!

6. "Outstanding Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the fact that this is a veteran owned company. I love how we have such a diverse group of people here to work with that bring so many different knowledge sets to the table. Basically I don't how in the world I could've found a better job right out of the gate just having retired from Active Federal Service.

Cons

Although there is always room for improvement, I cant think of a "Con" right now.

Jan 31, 2017

Thanks so much for the glowing review! We appreciate the insight into our culture and glad that you're enjoying your tenure here!

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

Pros

Collaborative, positive learning and working environment.
    Accessible leadership
    Friendly HR and administration staff
    Strong benefits
    Good fringe benefits, events

Cons

Not much to complain about.
    Most things I didn't like were taste, not genuine flaws.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Aug 3, 2016

Thank you for your feedback. We at AIS are continuously striving to enhance our work environment and corporate culture based on the feedback of our employees.

"Amazing Growth Potential & Top Talent!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Amazing place to work! I started at AIS few months ago and immediately I can see growth potential. When I was looking for my next opportunity, I was very selective on which company I want to work with. When I came acorss AIS, I knew exactly this company can offer me what I'm looking for and I was 100% on point. I'm extremely happy I am now part of AIS' team!

Cons

I do not have anything to share at this point.

Advice to Management

NA

Mar 22, 2016 – Director

We’re glad you found a great place to work. We strive to make AIS a great place to be and keep our employees long-term. We hope you’ll stay just as happy for many years to come!

"Great Compant"

Pros

Great benefits, flexible, great health coverage. They offer technology and health reimbursements. They hire some very talented people and most projects are new and exciting with large companies. They put their employees first.

Cons

Communication is lacking which can be frustrating.

Dec 10, 2015 – Director

Thank you for the feedback. We are continuously trying to improve our communication across the company. Your comment proves that we have room to grow. We'll keep working.

"Decent place to work if you just want to be a code monkey"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Nice people, great benefits, 401K, ESOP. Main office is in Reston right behind the last silver line stop. Good compensation.

Cons

A lot of your experience depends on your manager, clients, and team members. There are a lot of difficult clients and terrible projects and not much support if you're working with/on them. Near zero corporate communication. No upward mobility. Near to no mentoring or career growth. A lot of the time you feel like a hired gun. Lack of exposure to new technologies.

Advice to Management

Fix the lack of communication. Rotate employees among different projects and technologies. Provide career growth opportunites.

Oct 30, 2015 – Director

Thanks for your feedback. As a services company, we do our best to execute projects, meet our deliverables, satisfy customers and challenge our employees. There are always a lot of moving parts and... More