Applied Information Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

Applied Information Sciences Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Top Reasons to Work at AIS"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The number one thing I like best about working at AIS is knowing that I am a valued member of the team.

From day one my knowledge and skills were recognized and put to immediate use.

The enthusiasm shown by the AIS recruiting team during my interview and subsequent hiring was an important factor in choosing to work at AIS.

The honesty and integrity of the Leadership demonstrated during my interview/hiring process is the reason I came to work for AIS.

Cons

If you want to work 9-5 and just collect a paycheck, do not work here
    If you need to be micromanaged, do not work here
    If you are done learning and growing professionally, do not work here

Advice to Management

Continue to set Vision, Goals & Objectives
    Continue to provide opportunities
    Continue to encourage creativity and innovation

Mar 10, 2015 – Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are continuing to seek ways to provide opportunities for our employees and to innovate. Effective execution of this involves high engagement of our ... More

""Was" an excellent place to work."

Former Employee - Developer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Developer in Reston, VA

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent staff. Good Practices. Excellent pay and benefits. New Technology. I had a great time. Contributed greatly to the company, and the company treated me well as long as there was a project. I was lucky enough to be put on a good project (at first).

Cons

Everyone knew work became scarce. I usually received around a 5/5 star review, when AIS lost their biggest client and work dried up, I was no longer treated well, was pushed and shuffled around, denied a raise and had a tough time claiming a well deserved bonus. I received a fabricated 1/5 review, and was terminated.

Advice to Management

Don't burn bridges. I would have given a 4 or 5 star. But then, why burn bridges?

Mar 27, 2015 – Director

Thanks for your feedback. As a former employee, you can certainly understand the nuances of resource management, providing opportunity and growing by winning new work. This is always difficult, but ... More

"Very Satisfied Working at AIS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart and capable co-workers, good benefits, excellent opportunities for motivated self-starters. Managers are accessible and the structure is flat. Company is dedicated to exploring and developing expertise in the latest technologies, including cloud solutions in Azure. AIS does not hire just to staff projects, but is looking for people to grow with the company.

Cons

Some project assignments aren't terribly exciting but generally you can get reassigned if you ask. Experiencing some growing pains and there does not seem to be a clear vision for developing new managers to sustain growth.

Feb 11, 2015 – Director

Thank you very much for providing your review. As a company we are very interested in seeing people grow in a manner that is both individually rewarding and financially beneficial and as a result ... More

"Software Engineer"

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment.Remote work possibility, good benefits .good salary.

Cons

You never know when your job will be terminated.When there is no project to offer, the performance excuse will start , maybe under some crazy and alcoholic manager, which they try to put you down, then they terminate your job.

Advice to Management

Be honest, when there is no project to offer.Just lay off , don't bring stupid excuse about the performance with help of some craze and stupid managers that seems to be alcoholic as well.

"Fat in the middle"

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people in the company, decent pay. With the right management you can maintain a successful career.

Cons

Engineers are blamed for poor management. The atmosphere is very (unnecessarily) corporate, and feels driven by money and power over love for the craft. Shipping crap and shifting blame is the away to get ahead. Raises are below cost of living adjustments, unless you can jump positions. On the bright side, if you're in the cliquey inner circle, you can eat on the corporate card quite often.

Advice to Management

I don't know what to suggest. Delivering rushed products to government concerns and enterprise level customers seems to be working well for you.

"Broken promises and unfulfilled potentials due to lack of leadership."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Out of the half dozen former employees I know none would ever consider AIS as an employer, partner or client. They have some bright people there but they are all burned out by terrible program managers and executives.

Cons

The main problem is that The "leaders" are self serving egotistical amateurs. The executives don't know how to correct this and this has created a very hostile working environment.

Advice to Management

Look over your staffing. You have a lot of incompetent people willing to destroy all your hard work

8. "Excellent company working on cutting edge of Microsoft technologies"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Applied Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with!

Cons

Not as much emphasis on processes

"If you do not know where you stand with the company until your review this is the place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

Pros

Excellent colleagues who are enthusiastic about the technology they work with.

Cons

Management is very poor at communicating employee feedback. You will have no idea where you stand with the company until the day of your performance review where all negative feedback that you are hearing for the first time is unloaded at once.

Advice to Management

Give feedback more often to your employees so they know where they stand and will have time to correct any issues

"In general a good place to work, keeps you busy and flexible work schedule and excellent colleagues."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Reston, VA

Pros

flexible work schedule and excellent colleagues
    good technical support system

Cons

Career Growth path not known
    can be stuck with same technologies for years

Advice to Management

develop current employees, improve communication with employees,.

11. "Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at Applied Information Sciences full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work with cutting edge technologies.

Cons

Voice can get lost if assigned to a large client.

Advice to Management

Ensure feedback is heard, at all levels.

May 16, 2017 – Talent Manager

Thanks so much for the feedback - this is highly appreciated! We continue to improve our communication efforts among all of our employees and have utilized the past several months to elicit and ... More