Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) Reviews | Glassdoor

Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) Reviews

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael P. Jacobs

1. "An Awesome Place To Work"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Lake Orion, MI

I have been working at Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at AMT for 2.5 years now as a robot and PLC programmer, and it's been a constant ride of fun and exciting technologies. I've always enjoyed logic puzzles, and this job basically lets me solve puzzles all day long and get paid to do it. There is a training academy that new hires go through to get familiar with robots and the programming behind them. To complete the academy, you have to program a robot to play Checkers and stack Jenga blocks. Playing Checkers with a freaking robot, think about that. I found myself having fun the whole time, while learning an awful lot about programming and best practices.

These exercises seemed frivolous at first, but as you start venturing out on real assignments in the industry, you see that many applications require the robot to make logical decisions, or to stack products in a certain pattern. AMT prepared me well for the assignments, and help is always a phone call away if I run into problems. They support the employees very well and even when I'm not in the office, it feels like there's a solid team backing me up.

One aspect of the job can be viewed as a Pro or Con depending on your perspective, and that is the travel. Since our programmers are often doing assignments at a customer's factory, we aren't in the office very much. In some cases, there will be assignments out of state that require you to leave home for 2 weeks. It's definitely not for everyone, but you can have a lot of fun with it. Travel expenses are all paid for and you may get to see some awesome places.

Room for growth at AMT feels limitless. The first industry assignment I took on was very simple path teaching for a robot. There were very few logical decisions I had to program. After 6 months of that, I told my manager that I wanted a tougher challenge. He instantly obliged and found a senior engineer to train me on PLCs and tougher applications. Since then I've loved it, every day presents new puzzles that are mentally stimulating, and I love the feeling I get when I watch a robot run and know that I was responsible for it.

Cons

The only downside I've faced during my 2.5 years at AMT is how often I have to travel away from home. I take a lot of assignments out of state which results in a pattern of 2 weeks in a hotel near the customer, then a weekend at home, then back out on the road. This can get old really quickly, but I've been able to ask for a week off when I start to get burnt out and need to relax.

Advice to Management

The career path and opportunities that I have been given while at AMT have been excellent. The only advice I would give to management is to give everyone the same opportunities I've had. That primarily includes offering tougher challenges when requested, and having a mentor that I can ask questions and generate ideas with.

2. "Great Working Environment"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in Lake Orion, MI

Pros

Great management staff that truly cares about you and your future.

The work is very independently driven.

Learn something new each day.

Never boring as there are always new projects to walk into.

Cons

Quite a bit of travel involved. This can be taken as a pro or a con depending on your outlook.

Advice to Management

I hope they do not stray away from how things work now as it is a great place to work.

3. "13 plus experience in production"

Current Employee - PaintShop in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - PaintShop in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging atmosphere, very easily can be adjustable

Cons

not a very systematic approach

Advice to Management

see at workplace, then declare

4. "Great Company to Grow With"

Current Employee - Engineer in Orion, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Orion, MI

I have been working at Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company values, A flexible, results-oriented culture that can allow you to grow in your career.

Cons

None that come to mind

5. "Great engineering company to work for!"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Orion, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Orion, MI

I worked at Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very technology focussed, owner always keen to make investments in the company.

Cons

Low bill rates due to heavy Automotive business.

6. "Excellence in Engineering"

Pros

Training, variety of applications + industries, entrepreneurial, culture, travel, core values

Cons

Most positions require travel (can be a pro if you like the per diem & opportunity to see different places on someone else's dime), sometimes difficult to plan because assignment schedules change

Advice to Management

Keep investing in training

7. "Digital Processing and Simulation"

Pros

Good benefits and competitive wages. Varying types of work keeps the job interesting

Cons

Not a lot of room to move up in the company only sideways into other departments.

8. "Automation Engineer"

Current Employee - Automation Engineer
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer

I have been working at Applied Manufacturing Technologies (Michigan) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to start work in the world of automation. I've been working here for 3 years in robot programming and controls work. This work has sent me travelling throughout the Midwestern United States, working in packaging, palletizing as work in the automotive industry with welding and machine vision. The company has many great resources for training and they've continuously encouraged me to learn as many new robotic languages as possible. There is a lot of room for professional growth as long as you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Expect to travel as a part of the job, there were many months where I worked for 2 weeks on the road, came home for the weekend and left again Monday morning to go where I was needed. Once this became an issue for my family, they worked with me to get me some time back at home, and were never opposed to taking a week for a breather so as to not get burnt out.

Advice to Management

The lack of a formal review process leaves me wondering how well I am doing, and what areas of my job I need to improve upon.