Applied Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Applied Materials CEO & President Gary Dickerson
Gary Dickerson

1,026 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work schedule is highly flexible allowing for nice work/life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Great work environment and ethics (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance for people in manufacturing is nonexistent (in 67 reviews)

• Long hours due to management making commitments that cannot be met (in 39 reviews)

1. "Great Minds Think Applied!"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Great work envoirnment. Challenging day to day job roles and overall a very productive work place to be in.

Cons

None in general, more of the exposure to industry cycle and slow down of business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "Changing the landscape"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

It technology leader, Not afraid to start new initiatives like solar which went against the grain for a chip equipment co. Very proud that it gives back to community in a big way. When there is a crisis or not our employees and managment always are there to help either finiancially or monetarily. Learning is always available. Great smart people that are solving some of our most urgent issues with energy. Management repected hard working and fair. Open to feedback and not arrogant.

Cons

hard charging and cyclical nature of chip industry

Advice to Management

keep focused on the solar and equipment. Don't let the stock market derail the vision. Truly beleive we are focused on the right sector with Solar.

3. "Makin'it"

Current Employee - Material Planning and Commit Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Material Planning and Commit Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Training. No employer has allowed me personal growth the way AMAT has. From the day I was hired I was asked if I was interested in going back to school to earn my 4-yr degree. Without hesitation, I said yes and with a generous tuition reimbursement plan, there was little to no cost for me.

Cons

Downsizing. Turbulent in uncertain economic times. Any sort of manufacturers that deals with this industry (semi), must certainly experience the same thing. They do their best and buffer headcount with temporary workers..(by the way, some are great, and some, well....not so much).

Advice to Management

Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.

"Great Company - Needs to Rediscover It's Internal Pride & Excitement"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Very smart people working on great technology.
    Undergoing major transformation to become a better company.
    The work is very challenging.
    Has the ability to move fast when it wants to.
    Pay & benefits are pretty good....better than many appreciate.

Cons

The work environment is drab and uninspiring.
    Transformation is creating instability & uncertainty in the workforce.
    Too many highly paid senior managers not prepared to embrace the new direction and more forward. They keep looking upwards for more details.
    Too many people complaining about how bad the company has become. I have worked for several high-tech companies and Applied Materials is one the better ones. The negativity weighs heavily on everybody and creates a sour atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Get clearer on the vision for the future....and make it more inspiring than "Escape Velocity".
    Be more visible with the workforce.....more face-to-face interaction and less emphasis on intranet articles, video messages & emails.
    Senior managers need to grab hold of the strategy and make it happen, deal with the uncertainty and stop waiting for others to tell you how to move forward.
    Be honest about the future for US and Europe based jobs that are considered for off-shoring. Be consistent & transparent and help people deal with the consequences.
    Stimlate more fun and enjoyment in the workplace....people are so serious and don't appear to be enjoy themelves.

5. "Very good"

Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Commodity Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Outstanding Tenure.. Good working environmental..

Cons

Contract positions for 1yr with low than average pay. Outsourcing and layoffs.

Advice to Management

Great company

6. "Lots for talents and lots of learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Lots of talents with diverse background. Opportunity to explore new fields. Well supported R&D funding for new projects. Good leadership.

Cons

Extended work time. Job stability is not so good. Average benefits and bonus. Difficult to be promoted to higher level.

7. "Applied Materials is a very friendly place to work."

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

The best things about AMAT while I worked were the employees and managers that worked there. Everyone knew my name (though I didn't know all of theirs) and they treated me kindly, even managers of other groups. Work environment is very casual and working hours are flexible. Managers and co-workers alike were always open to answering questions, helping out, and providing positive feedback.

Cons

While I worked there, I feel I made slow progression. Sometimes things will get put off or delayed for weeks, and I feel things could have been more organized. During downtime, I was struggled to find anything to work on since I felt I was wasting time.

Advice to Management

I feel leadership was competent, and managers did not feel they were above their workers. I did feel there were bit of a communication barrier between the workers and their managers since managers expect certain work out of the engineers, yet they often do not see anything first hand.

8. "Rewarding company to work for, if you select the right group"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

- Advanced Technology
    - Discipline Engineers
    - Professional Work Style
    - Challenging Environment but Inspiring

Cons

- Hard to move up if you select the wrong group to work for
    - Sometimes not easy to balance family and work
    - Too many VPs

Advice to Management

Finance101: Stock price reflects CxO's capability and the relative performance to the competitors in the same industry. Try to learn and get inspired from Steve Jobs, while we still have chance to bring back the glorious old days.

9. "Very good place to work and to work hard to make a difference"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Technology leader
    Opportunity
    Good compensation
    Nice people
    Nice work environment
    Trust and mutual respect
    Innovative market leader with a strong portfollio of products

Cons

AMAT has underperformed in the stock market in the last few years which is a concern give the enormous potential of the company

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the customer. One of AMAT's core values is the customer and great companies think of the customer in every business decision

10. "A great company to wok for"

Current Employee - New Product Development in Ukiah, CA
    Current Employee - New Product Development in Ukiah, CA

Pros

diversity. equal opertunity employer. Great benefits. applied materials only care if your can perform the job. If you can they will give you tools t0 perform to the highest level.

Cons

down sizing it the worst . the job can be tense and and extra attention to detail is required so that you don't find yourself at the bottom of the bell curve.

Advice to Management

I didn't have any problems with management because they were very professional at all times. Reviews were conducted on a timely bases and they were always attentive to new ideas and recommendations

Showing 1,026 of 1,089 reviews