Applied Predictive Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company culture is very strong - lots of free food, fun events, etc" (in 18 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance relative to the strategy consulting sector overall" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work schedule and standard to which we hold ourselves do not allow for a great work-life balance" (in 21 reviews)

• "Very long hours full of unstimulating work" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work and great location"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at APT in Product Development for 2 years now, and absolutely love it. Pros:
    1. The company is growing quickly and has a very flat structure. These factors combined mean that you have a ton of opportunity to make an impact from very early on in your career.
    2. Career reviews are performed every 6 months and involve an in-depth process of capturing feedback from all peers that you've worked with. The cadence and depth of these reviews make it easy to progress in your career and feel like you have clear opportunities to work on.
    3. At its core, APT is a company that trusts its employees. For example, there's no time tracking to make sure that you've captured 40 hours, no one has to "approve" your vacations, etc. This could work pretty poorly at larger companies, but at APT there is an atmosphere where people are accountable and responsible even without "management" looking over their shoulders.
    4. There are plenty of perks (like snacks around the office, fun team events, and weekly catered lunches) - perks obviously aren't the most important part of working somewhere, but they do make it more fun.
    5. I work in the Arlington office and love the location - Arlington has a great "city feel" (there are tons of fun restaurants and shopping in the area, and you're also just miles away from DC and everything it has to offer). At the same time, because Arlington isn't as populated/popular as cities like DC, NYC, or SF, everything is more affordable and it's easier to find fun hiking trails and such.

Cons

Some cons to note:
    1. Because APT has grown so quickly in the past couple of years, there are some "growing pains" (for example, some departments are pretty bottom-heavy). This can create pain points, but it also means that there are a ton of opportunities to step up and take ownership from the start.

2. "Business Consultant: excellent culture makes excellent people"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APT has an amazing flat hierarchy culture that makes it very easy to solve problems with all of your colleagues, from senior vice presidents to your direct managers and other consultant peers. This culture, combined with top-notch recruiting, makes the people at APT the best combination of intelligent, driven, and kind people. There is no "partner" or "up or out" culture that leads to backstabbing or hyper-competitiveness with peers. Your truly feel like a great team and family, even at such a large size.

The role itself, at its best, is an amazing opportunity to work on challenging analytics problems across several industries in a very short period of time. In a little over a year I worked in 6 different industries. Brainstorming the correct approach to answering a business question in a scientific manner is thrilling, and being such a data-driven company makes the work feel meaty, substantial, and valuable. The travel is also just the right amount: 1-2 days every month, enough to keep things fresh but not enough to become tiring.

APT also has a "make it happen" attitude that makes it easy for anyone to start ANYTHING that seems even somewhat relevant to the firm and that they are passionate about. This is in addition to the excellent volunteering policy. Prove value and these can develop into company efforts with allocation, hundreds of interested teammates, and possibly even a new department within the company. This type of freedom is rare if not completely non-existent at any other company.

The company invests a lot of in mentoring junior colleagues. You can grow very quickly as a new college grad, and within less than 2 years become a team manager and receive responsibilities that are unheard of at other firms.

The benefits and fun, youthful culture makes the firm almost magical. Free catered meals every day, working from home or remotely every few days a month, taking vacations whenever you want no-questions-asked, excellent social activities, game rooms, fun social groups, a lot of snacks, and lots of office perks makes it all seem like the perfect package.

The above those are rational reasons for why APT is an outstanding place to work, but it is a subjective evaluation that really brings it all together: there was not one day I spent at this company where I did not laugh, smile, feel good, and enjoy my time.

Cons

While APT is a great place to work and has a lot of guidance and support for new hires, the "guard rails" on career development can be stifling for someone who comes in with experience or an advanced degree. Everyone starts at the same level, and the junior responsibilities are underwhelming for someone not immediately out of an undergrad degree. Because everyone starts at the same level, the pay - which is great for an undergrad - can be lower than other options (e.g. better than a McKinsey analyst, but worse than an associate). The big differentiator seems to be whether one gets promoted six months before the rest of one's class, which is not a great deal if one is bringing years of experience to the table at the start.

Related to above, the fast promotions also can make your managers be truly junior and - in spite of a lot of training - relatively bad at management. As a more senior hire, I felt like I could do a better job at management than some of my managers, and after about a year I felt like I had surpassed my managers in competence in soft, technical, and managerial skills.

While the BC role can be riveting in analytical thought partnership and problem-solving, it also can have some pretty mundane elements. Certain tasks can feel mundane either by their nature (e.g. password resets for a client user of the software) or due to poor execution (e.g. a client training can be a great opportunity for conceptual thinking, but sometimes it can devolve into a clicking tutorial). The company invested tremendously in tools like APT Academy to shave off these boring elements, but a part is still there.

The staffing model where you work on multiple clients at a time can make workload unpredictable. The average is likely 55 hours per week, but there is a 15 hour variance both above and below this point. At its worst, when all your teams are on fire the job can have a month or more of 70 hour weeks. Supposedly the staffing system is there to let your advisor respond to such situations, but I have never seen or heard of intervention here. Ultimately, success involves being defensive of one's time, "under-promising and over-delivering", and having a pessimistic outlook about your bandwidth in the future. This makes it difficult to be ambitious and shoot for doing your best work, because you are never sure when you will get blindsided. Sadly, "going 80-20" on things becomes a dominant culture, which usually means less investment up front that creates a maintenance mess down the line.

Advice to Management

APT's biggest strength is its culture. A strong "no jerks" culture coupled with an excellent talent acquisition process produces something amazing here, and this should not be lost because of changes by Mastercard.

If APT wants to be an attractive place for experienced hires or advanced degree holders, it needs to be more flexible in the starting roles and compensation for such people (more seniority). Make a fair offer to such people, and make a fair effort at retention for your talent when it is being courted by competitors. There is a high degree of turnover due to poaching, especially at other offices, and this creates a lot of stress and friction on people that remain, producing a feedback loop of more attrition. One retained employee is worth three new hires.

Try to make Mastercard more like APT, rather than the other way around.

3. "Great opportunities to contribute meaningfully"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

APT is growing and maturing quickly, and that growth creates lots of opportunities to contribute in big ways. Everyone has the chance to propose and work on their own initiatives, new ideas are encouraged and supported, and there is lots of opportunity for personal and professional development. I love the teammates who I work with, and I love the variety of the projects that we work on.

Cons

There is too much separation between the team that builds the product and the delivery team (ie business consultants and database analysts). The two teams would both benefit from each other's strengths by working more closely together, but APT doesn't seem invested in decreasing that gap (eg we are forced to use two different chat softwares - which makes it very difficult for the two groups to meaningfully interact)

4. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

An elite technology and business consulting firm.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job offer from APT.

5. "Business Consultant"

Pros

- Good Pay
    - Great culture

Cons

- Training users on software can be very mundane and take up most of the time

"You can find far more interesting work, competitive pay, and better benefits elsewhere"

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Generally smart and motivated peers
    -New DC office feels appropriate for a software company (others are dated and cramped)
    -Sports leagues, free food
    -Casual dress among employees outside of client services (consultants still wear business casual)

Cons

-Very long hours full of unstimulating work
    -Benefits decreased dramatically as of Jan 1, 2018, to align with parent company Mastercard
    -Young managers often fail to prioritize the many client requests, leaving constant late nights for BC's full of low-value work
    - Most employees, including many senior execs who have been around 10+ years, have never worked at another company. Enough said.
    - Nearly all of the brightest and most well-rounded peers in my class have also left 1-2 years in
    -Job can feel like glorified tech support, especially when staffed on many "rollout" clients
    -Aside from learning SQL, I do not feel like I grew meaningfully. I spent much of my time teaching client analysts how to use APT's software, scheduling meetings, and compiling decks full of software screenshots.

Advice to Management

There is good reason for high attrition, especially among many of the best junior employees. Stacked teams and immature managers leave little room for growth, development, and novel approaches to solving problems. 360 feedback is susceptible to manipulation by individuals.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Arlington, VA

Pros

I started my career at APT and it has been an amazing experience since day one. What I like:
    - Solving interesting business problems using a powerful software platform, and informing strategic decisions for multibillion dollar companies
    - Coworkers are really friendly, smart and motivated professionals who push you to do your best
    - Culture: the work place is fun, and coworkers have great sense of humor
    - Quick career growth: you have the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility and make an impact to the firm
    - Competitive compensation and benefits
    - The senior leadership team are some of the smartest and kindest persons I have met

Cons

The new healthcare benefit from Mastercard isn't as great, but this is compensated by other benefits such as 401K matching, a great parental leave policy, childcare benefits

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture and continue hiring top talents. Invest more in R&D to maintain APT's competitive advantage in analytics a few years down the road when competitors show up.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

-Fun office environment
    -You are recognized for your hard work
    -Employee review cycle happens every 6 month and you are eligible for an increase in base salary each review cycle
    -Diversity & Inclusion is a focus across the company
    -Business Resource Groups are employee driven
    -Tons of free food

Cons

-To be honest, it's hard to come up with many cons. I truly love working at APT

"Boring work, misleading recruiting"

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APT pays its employees very well.

Cons

Long hours, the company is less flexible with remote work and travel than it pretends to be. As a business consultant you are told you'll be solving complex business problems when really you're a glorified software help desk.

"Vibrant software company, lots of room for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

-APT really cares about your happiness/growth as an employee. You get really great feedback in the career review cycle, with actionable takeaways.
    -In my experience, teams succeed together and care more about the success of the project at hand than individual recognition.
    -As a software engineer, you will get opportunities to work on important code that drives really important business decisions immediately. This is exciting. You will almost always feel that your work is important.
    -The benefits and compensation are great.
    -the office culture is really fun, and becoming more and more inclusive.

Cons

-As the company grows, it's no longer true that you know almost everyone in product development. It felt more like a big group of friends when I first started. People are still friends now, but it's a lot more spread out since there are so many more engineers

Advice to Management

- Continue to make career growth opportunities a core principle of management. It keeps talent around, and makes people happy.