Applied Predictive Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Other perks, the office always has free food and we have so many exciting events going on" (in 18 reviews)

• "APT is also dedicated to taking care of employees with generous compensation and benefits" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "The work schedule and standard to which we hold ourselves do not allow for a great work-life balance" (in 20 reviews)

• "Very long hours full of unstimulating work" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work and great location"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at APT in Product Development for 2 years now, and absolutely love it. Pros:
    1. The company is growing quickly and has a very flat structure. These factors combined mean that you have a ton of opportunity to make an impact from very early on in your career.
    2. Career reviews are performed every 6 months and involve an in-depth process of capturing feedback from all peers that you've worked with. The cadence and depth of these reviews make it easy to progress in your career and feel like you have clear opportunities to work on.
    3. At its core, APT is a company that trusts its employees. For example, there's no time tracking to make sure that you've captured 40 hours, no one has to "approve" your vacations, etc. This could work pretty poorly at larger companies, but at APT there is an atmosphere where people are accountable and responsible even without "management" looking over their shoulders.
    4. There are plenty of perks (like snacks around the office, fun team events, and weekly catered lunches) - perks obviously aren't the most important part of working somewhere, but they do make it more fun.
    5. I work in the Arlington office and love the location - Arlington has a great "city feel" (there are tons of fun restaurants and shopping in the area, and you're also just miles away from DC and everything it has to offer). At the same time, because Arlington isn't as populated/popular as cities like DC, NYC, or SF, everything is more affordable and it's easier to find fun hiking trails and such.

Cons

Some cons to note:
    1. Because APT has grown so quickly in the past couple of years, there are some "growing pains" (for example, some departments are pretty bottom-heavy). This can create pain points, but it also means that there are a ton of opportunities to step up and take ownership from the start.

2. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

An elite technology and business consulting firm.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job offer from APT.

"You can find far more interesting work, competitive pay, and better benefits elsewhere"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Generally smart and motivated peers
    -New DC office feels appropriate for a software company (others are dated and cramped)
    -Sports leagues, free food
    -Casual dress among employees outside of client services (consultants still wear business casual)

Cons

-Very long hours full of unstimulating work
    -Benefits decreased dramatically as of Jan 1, 2018, to align with parent company Mastercard
    -Young managers often fail to prioritize the many client requests, leaving constant late nights for BC's full of low-value work
    - Most employees, including many senior execs who have been around 10+ years, have never worked at another company. Enough said.
    - Nearly all of the brightest and most well-rounded peers in my class have also left 1-2 years in
    -Job can feel like glorified tech support, especially when staffed on many "rollout" clients
    -Aside from learning SQL, I do not feel like I grew meaningfully. I spent much of my time teaching client analysts how to use APT's software, scheduling meetings, and compiling decks full of software screenshots.

Advice to Management

There is good reason for high attrition, especially among many of the best junior employees. Stacked teams and immature managers leave little room for growth, development, and novel approaches to solving problems. 360 feedback is susceptible to manipulation by individuals.

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started my career at APT and it has been an amazing experience since day one. What I like:
    - Solving interesting business problems using a powerful software platform, and informing strategic decisions for multibillion dollar companies
    - Coworkers are really friendly, smart and motivated professionals who push you to do your best
    - Culture: the work place is fun, and coworkers have great sense of humor
    - Quick career growth: you have the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility and make an impact to the firm
    - Competitive compensation and benefits
    - The senior leadership team are some of the smartest and kindest persons I have met

Cons

The new healthcare benefit from Mastercard isn't as great, but this is compensated by other benefits such as 401K matching, a great parental leave policy, childcare benefits

Advice to Management

Keep the great culture and continue hiring top talents. Invest more in R&D to maintain APT's competitive advantage in analytics a few years down the road when competitors show up.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

-Fun office environment
    -You are recognized for your hard work
    -Employee review cycle happens every 6 month and you are eligible for an increase in base salary each review cycle
    -Diversity & Inclusion is a focus across the company
    -Business Resource Groups are employee driven
    -Tons of free food

Cons

-To be honest, it's hard to come up with many cons. I truly love working at APT

"Boring work, misleading recruiting"

Former Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

APT pays its employees very well.

Cons

Long hours, the company is less flexible with remote work and travel than it pretends to be. As a business consultant you are told you'll be solving complex business problems when really you're a glorified software help desk.

"Vibrant software company, lots of room for growth"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

-APT really cares about your happiness/growth as an employee. You get really great feedback in the career review cycle, with actionable takeaways.
    -In my experience, teams succeed together and care more about the success of the project at hand than individual recognition.
    -As a software engineer, you will get opportunities to work on important code that drives really important business decisions immediately. This is exciting. You will almost always feel that your work is important.
    -The benefits and compensation are great.
    -the office culture is really fun, and becoming more and more inclusive.

Cons

-As the company grows, it's no longer true that you know almost everyone in product development. It felt more like a big group of friends when I first started. People are still friends now, but it's a lot more spread out since there are so many more engineers

Advice to Management

- Continue to make career growth opportunities a core principle of management. It keeps talent around, and makes people happy.

"Very negative sales team/overall experience"

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Catered food
    Colorful office
    360 feedback structure

Cons

See below for more details

Advice to Management

I find this a particularly appropriate time to detail my experience on the APT sales team, as the attrition this year has been incredibly high (with reason). To begin, APT strongly markets itself as a collegiate and fun company to work for. The 4 kitchens are fully stocked with a diverse array of snacks, there is a weekly catering schedule, and miscellaneous social events populate people’s calendars. But moving past the smoke and mirrors, there are countless systemic issues that are constantly swept under the rug.

First, my experience involves an incident of sexual assault that, while initially was dealt with swiftly, (the employee in question was immediately let go following an investigation involving numerous uncontroversial pieces of evidence), was not attended to at all afterwards. To date, despite my constant attempts to help, there is no sexual harassment training in place, and the policies around sexual harassment and assault are limited to a paragraph or two buried deep in Mastercard’s employee resource website. Furthermore, there was no formal announcement about the employee’s departure, and the sales team was left confused and fragmented. A huge reason I left the company was that one of my coworkers, a good friend of the employee who left, began behaving very passively aggressively towards me while questioning my actions to my other coworkers. Despite voicing my concerns to HR, I was brushed aside. Most importantly perhaps, after the employee was fired, there was no follow-up by HR or the individuals on APT’s executive team (despite their attempts to denounce sexual abuse in light of the Weinstein scandal) who were involved in the investigation. I considered taking a leave of absence to process what had happened to me or even leaving the company, but stuck around in hopes of change. The only thing that kept me at APT for months after the incident was a tight group of colleagues across the organization who supported me.

Moving on past that incident, there are numerous other reasons why people of all seniority levels (BDA to VP) have chosen to leave the sales team in recent months. One: there is a very steep organizational structure with very little transparency for how and why decisions are made. Good feedback and innovative ideas from below aren’t received because of the sales leadership’s resistance to change. Many individuals on the team have brainstormed great ways to tackle the recent stagnation with sales, and yet, nothing has been discussed in larger conversations. I must add here too that the leaders of the sales team are not themselves salespeople and their expertise lies in other areas, perpetuating the divide between the more junior salespeople and the more senior salespeople.

Second: there is no semblance of team or structured support. The sales team is unfortunately situated in an isolated corner of the company, and for the most part, doesn’t interact with any other functional areas. The sales area is completely silent on most days, even when people aren’t traveling. Furthermore, the sales leaders come in and leave, most days without saying a word, and BDAs in particular are left to their own devices. I was lucky in that my supported sales reps cared about my professional development and were there to guide me, but other BDAs have had no training and are expected to fill the shoes of the sales representatives who left the company. This can be extremely demoralizing and unmotivating, particularly for someone younger, as the sales cycle at APT is long and difficult. Good support and a team that shares its knowledge with each other is essential to survival.

Third: since the Mastercard acquisition, the future of the APT sales team appears tenuous. While enterprise clients are critical to a balance sheet, so are SMBs. Not only is APT lacking presence in the SMB market, but also the constant answer to a lack of success is: “you haven’t proven our value proposition.” The acquisition has also only perpetuated the lack of transparency and the inability for good ideas to move through the pipeline. On a slightly unrelated note, while APT advocates leveraging data to make more informed decisions, the sales team itself is woefully lacking in analytics. There are very few BI tools that are essential to sales success (e.g. email tracking, call analytics, etc.) In fact, the culture of not practicing what you preach is quite prevalent throughout the organization.

To conclude, if you are looking for a supportive, energetic team to grow in, I don’t recommend the APT sales team. While there are some great people on the team, there is no feel of a team. Authenticity is lacking. Investment in junior people is undervalued. Innovation is scarce. Your value as an APT employee is reduced to the individual sales contribution you make (not mentorship, not the positive impact you might have on the team, etc.). Finally, the company’s decision (from HR to the C-suite) to turn a blind eye in the aftermath of my sexual assault experience speaks volumes about how much APT truly cares about its culture and its people.

Jul 5, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for your posting. While we are deeply disappointed that you felt your issue was not resolved satisfactorily, please know that we take all allegations seriously, investigate thoroughly and... More

"Things are changing for the worse"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

-The people who work at APT are still amazing and friendly people.
    -There is a good culture surrounding individual growth and mentorship
    -It is easy to find ways to utilize your strengths

Cons

-The somewhat recent acquiring by Mastercard has removed a lot of benefits that are needed to keep APT competitive. The sabbatical program is being removed, free health care was taken away, vacation days only increase after 6 years of work (as opposed to the original 3 years), profit sharing has moved to a 4 year vesting schedule (as opposed to immediate), no stock options/company performance based incentives
    -All those good people are slowly leaving APT
    -The culture is drifting away from small company/startup towards corporate america

Advice to Management

You have a fantastic thing with APT. The choices you are making will cause some of your best people to leave. The people working here have been making many concessions for a little over a year. Eventually, you'll cross the wrong line in the sand and people will leave en masse.
    It keeps being said that the Mastercard acquisition is fantastic because they will take *our* culture. However, none of that is happening. We've lost:
    -healthcare
    -sabbatical
    -timely increase in vacation days
    -APT Units
    -referral bonus
    -team rooms (the pods are horrible)
    -much more

While the only thing we've gained in return is a *slightly* better 401k system that is completely negated by a 4 year vesting. You have to realize that we can see this happening, and we will leave.

Jun 12, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am sorry to hear that you feel like things are changing for the worse. While there have been recent changes to some of our benefits impacting future hires, many... More

"Sales Team (especially for BDA/CSP/SSP candidates)"

Current Employee - Sales in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

- Depending on the verticals you work on, there can be a lot of opportunity for success. APT started off in the retail and restaurant sectors, and given the acquisition by Mastercard, is now strong in the financial services vertical - so if you work in this verticals, there's a lot of internal expertise and credibility that will help you sell. If you're in one of the newer verticals, it's more challenging to bring in sales by nature of not having the existing clients to work off of - but this presents opportunity for you to stand out if you can close deals.
    - Fantastic office space. Newly renovated and fit to APT's culture. Four kitchens, plenty of free meals and snacks, and a lot of social activities as a company. You can certainly find you niche people if you know where to look.
    - Commission for CSP level and up
    - Awesome workplace for those young in their career and looking to learn some basics. Plenty of money allocated towards professional development and graduate studies (if interested). For the Sales team, significantly fewer training sessions for professional development, but you can reach out to HR about specific trainings and have them approve a budget for you to pursue them.
    *Not necessarily a Pro or Con, but a note: Promotions tend to happen every 2 years. If you perform well, you can maybe bump that to 1.5 years, but it's highly irregular for anyone to be promoted within that time frame - regardless of what they tell you during the recruitment process.

Cons

- "Bait and switch" Sales job descriptions. Make sure you ask a lot of questions around the true day to day of your role. There has been a history of up-selling job descriptions on the Sales team (i.e. promising people they'll run full sales cycles on their own, manage their own relationships, potential for commission) but the day to day can be 95% cold outreach (cold emails, cold calls, etc.), especially if you are a BDA or early CSP. Spend time with those actually in the roles to get a feel for that rather than putting weight into what senior management says. Candidates should note that sales people are good at selling -- so they are the first ones who might mislead you about the role, particularly if they've been at the company for 5 or 10+ years and they lack a pulse on what has changed since the Mastercard acquisition (2015).
    - Empty office. If you're looking for a highly collaborative/social team, the sales team may not be a fit. The desks are frequently empty (a mix of travel schedules and people who choose to work from home), so it can be pretty quiet. For people who are here -- headphones in and silent for the most part. Fairly independent work.
    - Miscommunication across Sales senior management. There's a disconnect between the pulse of the office on the ground and those higher up. Leadership positions are held by those who haven't held traditional sales roles before so it can be challenging to be on the same page about realistic sales expectations and what it means to hit goals.

Advice to Management

- Be more transparent around job descriptions with candidates. It's not fair to sell candidates a "sexy" job description to pull them in and then disappoint them when the reality of the job comes out. This has caused and continues to cause attrition, particularly for BDAs and CSPs.
    - Give young talent more responsibility to lead and facilitate sales processes. There's plenty of strong talent coming through the door but they will leave if they aren't challenged professionally.
    - Hire a dedicated Sales Team Manager to watch the pulse of the team. Delegating the team management role across multiple people means that no one is accountable when there's rapid turnover or when people are getting burnt out. The team needs one person to go to when they're struggling with sales processes or need support. With everyone responsible for selling their own accounts, people will prioritize their own sales/responsibilities before they look to support the rest of the team.

Jun 13, 2018 – VP Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback and suggestions for improvement. As you know, at APT we truly value your opinions and suggestions, and we look to incorporate your suggestions into our strategy going... More