Applied Predictive Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance for client services is tough (in 19 reviews)

• 30% - 50% at the BC/EM level) and long hours during the week (in 21 reviews)

"Principal Consultant"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have stayed at APT for 5+ years because of the people, the work, and the opportunities to grow. First and foremost, everyone I work with is great to work with and wants each other to succeed. I also really enjoy the work we do and the variety of industries I get exposed to by working on 10+ clients at once. Lastly, even though we are a much bigger company than 5 years ago when I joined, each team is pretty lean and you can take on as much responsibility as you can handle.

Cons

Unsurprisingly, the hours longer than a standard 9-5 job. While I am at the point where I can control my work week a lot more, I still find myself working much longer hours than should be expected some times due to different teams getting busy at the same time.

Advice to Management

Management should continue to invest in ways to improve work-life balance for consultants. I know they are already investing a lot of resources, but I want to encourage them to continue doing so.

"Not an intellectually stimulating job"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The junior staff is all pretty fun to be with and laid back

-Office events (free food, outings, teams, etc)

Cons

-The role isn't intellectually stimulating at all - in no way does this compare to MBB consulting like they try to pretend it does. For example, most of the day is spent interacting with the junior analysts of the client, not c-level execs of SVPs. These clients have tests they want to run in mind, so you literally handhold them as they click through buttons to run the test, reset their passwords, etc. There isn't any strategy involved and really no thinking involved.

-Poor management- what happens when you don't have people go to b-school and have them go straight through, you have 23/24 year old managers who frankly aren't good managers.

-No transferable skills - lack of Excel work, some SQL, but you spend most of the time on the APT software which you'll never really use if you try and switch jobs

-Lots of very late nights due to multiple cases at a time. When two run hot, it's a problem.

-For a organization that goes out of the way to say how "flat" it is, there are a lot of politics

Advice to Management

Graduate school sponsorship would be a plus

Applied Predictive Technologies Response

Feb 14, 2018 – Associate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you are not happy at APT. First and foremost, we would encourage you to provide this feedback beyond Glassdoor, and to share it directly to your... More

"Great Career Opportunities"

Current Employee - Vice President, Consulting
    Current Employee - Vice President, Consulting

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

APT is a great place to start and grow a career. I joined as a Business Consultant and continue to be challenged with new responsibilities and leadership opportunities. The employees and leaders really care about the growth and development of each of us and maintaining a culture and environment that is supportive, engaging, and challenging. I love working with a top-notch set of individuals who care about producing quality work, the impact we make with our clients, and one another.

Cons

The consulting track is not a 40 hour a week, never take work home with you job. Along with responsibility and opportunity comes hard work and some travel, the latter of which increases as you take on more clients. It's not something I'd give up for the opportunity I have, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to care about our people and our culture, especially as we grow domestically and internationally. Thank you for all that you do to make APT a great place to work

"A great community to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Database Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Arlington, VA

Pros

I can’t imagine a better community of people to work with. Everyone is intelligent and driven while still remaining humble, supportive, and team-oriented. The company culture is very strong - lots of free food, fun events, etc. I feel fortunate that I get to work alongside my friends.

I experience a lot of variety in my day-to-day work across multiple client teams, internal data team projects, and recruiting efforts (amongst other things).

My favorite part about APT is the emphasis placed on the career review process. I appreciate that I receive actionable feedback every six months - I always have a clear idea of where I stand and what I can do to improve.

Cons

Being staffed on many teams at once - on busy weeks, this can lead to longer hours & lots of juggling priorities.

5. "APT provides a challenging yet extremely rewarding opportunity right out of college"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Rogers, AR

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-working across many industries gives you opportunity to learn more than working for one specific company
    -employees are taken care of with many perks, even outside of very competitive pay and benefits
    -the company believes in merit based advancement, meaning that you are promoted based on your contributions to the company (and not politics)

Cons

-working from a remote office can sometimes create the feeling of being disconnected from the broader organization, but the company is working towards improving this for smaller offices
    -with the ebb and flow of our client work, some weeks can turn pretty brutal working late, but this is more of an exception rather than the norm

6. "Great place to start a career - exciting, collaborative environment, combined with fun, intelligent people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Excellent compensation & benefits
    Incredibly rapid growth (company has more than doubled in past few years)
    Exciting, collaborative work
    Culture of a small, tech firm (flat, collaborative, open, young, etc)
    Grow core skill set (both technically and softer business skills)
    Extremely bright co-workers

Cons

Hours can be tough, and sometimes unpredictable
    Sporadic travel, sometimes day trips (can be a pro)
    As with all consulting, some projects are less desirable than others

Advice to Management

Do what we can to maintain collaborative culture as we grow and integrate with Mastercard

7. "APT is for self-starters!"

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

- Flat culture is preached and practiced. While there's always some element of hierarchy in larger organizations, APT truly lets you contribute as you are capable, rather than bounding you by your job title.
    - Colleagues are hardworking and fun people!

Cons

- The organization isn't very mission driven, and doesn't talk a lot about it's values.

8. "Great place. Great people. Great job."

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Rogers, AR

Pros

-Work closely with multiple, large clients
    -Build meaningful relationships internally and externally
    -Ridiculous benefits and compensation for the area
    -Collaborative environment with ongoing, open dialogue all the way through senior vice presidents
    -Work Hard, Play Harder mentality
    -Clear career path with chances to blaze your own at every step
    -Feedback on the firm's operations is taken very seriously and considered

Cons

-(Can also be a Pro) Inconsistent day-to-day responsibilities
    -Could come in thinking you'll leave by 4:30 and stay until 6:30
    -Very sensitive work around client relations (even the most mundane emails require strenuous proofreading)

Advice to Management

-Give new BCs more tools for email crafting as well as day-to-day do's and do not's
    -Help second year BCs provide new BCs with meaningful tasks and milestones that facilitate the feeling of progression in their new job

"Amazing place to start a career"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

I love the people I work with at APT. Everyone is extremely smart and hard working, yet humble and inclusive. That is not a combination found in many places. I love the teams I work with and the challenging projects we work on together.

Since APT is a small-medium sized company, young people are given a ton of ownership early on. This can be extremely overwhelming, but equally as rewarding. My advisers and mentors are always challenging me to grow professionally, and my teammates help keep each other accountable with both personal and professional goals.

Other perks, the office always has free food and we have so many exciting events going on! (For example, my social "house" - similar to Harry Potter houses - is having an ice cream social today!) I love the young, relaxed, and fun culture.

Pay is competitive... especially if you're fresh out of college with minimal skill sets :)

Cons

The MasterCard acquisition has brought with it some changes to our benefits. Healthcare offer got worse, and the way we manage expenses has gotten more stringent.

Work life balance for client services is tough... I work in product development where the work life balance is much more manageable

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Great company to work at and be a part of a team"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

-Excellent culture
    -Great benefits
    -Team oriented work environment

Cons

-In Arlington, Virginia
    -Very low median age
    -High turnover