Applied Predictive Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Pros
Cons
  • The work life balance could be better (in 14 reviews)

• Client Services is a bit understaffed which leads to long hours (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Business Consultant"

Pros

As someone who joined APT right out of right out college, after considering other consulting careers, I like APT because I truly believe in the data-driven decision making we enable our clients to do.

The culture is really great. It's a young, casual, and very friendly environment. Beyond that, I've found that my coworkers are truly invested in my professional development, and are always willing to offer advice on ways I can grow. You're given a lot of independence and responsibility, which can be a little intimidating at first, but is also an exciting challenge.

Within your first few months, you're able to take on a variety of different rolls on each projects, and gain exposure to many different industries. As the company expands, there are projects in many new industries, from the public sector to pharma.

Cons

The work life balance could be better. The workload will vary throughout the year, but there are several times throughout the year when there is a lot to be done across many of your projects.

Aug 31, 2016 – Chief People Officer and SVP, Marketing

Thank you for writing this review! We are happy to hear you enjoy working at a company that emphasizes working hard while also having fun. One of the great things about APT is the ability for our ... More

"second year Business consultant"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

smart people, lots of immediate ownership of tasks and projects, lots of internal and external senior executive exposure

Cons

Company needs to spend more time emphasizing how great it is to work here in recruiting - really send home that BCs here have the opportunity to gain experiences as you would both from being an associate consultant/analyst etc at a traditional management consulting firm but also as an analyst/APM at a growing tech firm. Best of both worlds!

Advice to Management

keep paying competitively as tech firms try to poach talent, and keep an emphasis on mentorship

"Worst work experience"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is on par with other consulting firms for the first few years

Cons

Terrible training , you really get thrown into the deep end, especially if you don't have a tech or coding background.

Also, the work isn't that interesting and is nothing like strategy consulting (which they sell it as in recruiting), but rather a help desk for helping clients use the software to make decisions about their business. Very little intellectual stimulation as a result.

Also, no b-school sponsorship makes it pale in comparison to other tier two and three consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend to be a strategy consulting firm in recruiting .

"Rapidly growing fun company"

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Employees are friends with each other, which makes coming to work fun. You get lots of responsibility as the company is growing fast. There is a ton of learning opportunities from working with multiple clients at once. You receive performance reviews and give firm feedback every 6 months - there is a culture of feedback and professional growth.

Cons

Work is demanding, but rewarding. Have to be willing to put in effort to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Fantastic place to work and begin a career"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Exciting, engaging work, unbelievable benefits, and awesome people to work with. APT has been a great place to start my career - and I look forward to the continued growth of the firm.

Cons

Hours can be long, and sometimes co-workers can be intense. Overall great culture, but frequent travel can have me feeling exhausted at times.

7. "Amazing organization which continues to amaze me"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

APT is an absolutely first tier consulting and data science organization. Despite now 15 years of experience, they maintain an innovative, open, and entrepreneurial atmosphere. The management is superb, the problems are the future of consulting, the vibe is friendly and supportive. The opportunities are excellent - APT put me in the board room of a Billion dollar company within 6 months of my joining. The best part, however, is the rigor and empirical approach to consulting which APT takes. The scientific approach to business question is powerful and highly satisfying. APT has carved out a name for itself and will continue to grow well into the future.

Cons

Rapid growth can make the company unfocused at times. Flat, merit based hierarchy encourages people to work to stand out, when sometimes people need to gel more tightly behind a set of ideas.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! As the company expands globally, work to keep a central identity.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Fun and collaborative culture
    - Strong focus on career development and progression
    - Have opportunities to work on projects that interest you
    - Get to share your work with Senior VPs and the CTO
    - Everyone's opinions are heard and appreciated, no matter how long they've been with the company
    - Have a strong focus on innovation within the company
    - Collects employee feedback often to make improvements to the company
    - A lot of great perks (vacation, free food, game room, etc.)

Cons

The company is starting to grow rapidly, which means there will be challenges with keeping the company culture intact, although I think the company is aware of this and is taking the right steps towards ensuring this isn't an issue.

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from employees so that you can keep track of how the company is evolving as it grows. Put in place systems that allow for the company to keep its fun, collaborative, and innovative culture even as the company grows.

Nov 30, 2016 – Chief People Officer and SVP, Marketing

Thank you for providing this feedback! It’s great to hear that after being here for less than a year you have been working on projects that interest you and are experiencing development in your ... More

"APT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Great place to work, intellectually stimulating work, world class clients, amazing benefits. Firm feedback is taken very seriously and listened to in an effort to retain a top notch culture.

Cons

In a rapidly growing environment, there are associated growing pains such as the need for more space and more people quickier than realistically possible. That said, management seems to throw every possible resource to get employees the support they need.

Advice to Management

Keep the make it happen culture even as we grow

Nov 30, 2016 – Chief People Officer and SVP, Marketing

Thanks for writing a review! We love to hear that our employees are engaging in intellectually stimulating work. You’re absolutely right that as we grow it will be essential to keep up with that ... More

10. "HR Coordinator"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Arlington, VA

Pros

The greatest thing about working at APT is the culture here and how dedicated everyone is. People work really hard here but there are also a lot of fun social events throughout the year so it helps create some balance. The environment here is also pretty casual and young.

Cons

The work life balance could be better - it can be difficult to draw the line and stop focusing on work at the end of the day and everyone puts in a late night at work every now and again.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on making the culture a priority and continuing to keep senior level employees interacting with the rest of the company. It's a great aspect of our culture and should be continued!

"Consulting with an analytical and software spin"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

As a Business Consultant I get to work on multiple clients with multiple teams, so I have exposure to different industries, types of projects, and people to work with all the time. It makes every day have something new and keeps the challenges exciting and rewarding. There is a little bit a travel (1-2 times a month), so just enough to have different experiences but not so much that it takes over your life.

Within a year at APT I have had tremendous opportunity to work with executives of large companies, having even presented in person to CEOs and CFOs. There is a lot of growth opportunity and I can continually ask for specific type of work I might want to get involved with.

For the SF office in particular, the work space is relaxed and fun. We are still small enough where we really get to know each other and there are a lot of ways to be social with coworkers. We have office sponsored events several times a month in addition to the smaller more spontaneous hanging out.

In the end, I truly believe in what APT is trying to do as a company, and that makes the work so much more meaningful. We are a software firm, but we really think about how business people will interpret our analytics. We are a consulting firm, but our recommendations are based on data driven results. We build well rounded people who don't just do their job, but get involved in other parts of the company, from recruiting, to product development, to marketing, to culture building.

Cons

APT could improve its recruiting to widen its candidate pool. There are sometimes obvious gaps in diversity. Luckily, there are various efforts in the works to try and tackle this.

Not being in DC can sometimes be frustrating. We are increasingly growing as a global company and we need to think more about how to improve cross office communication, collaboration, and culture.

We are definitely not a 9-5 job (I would say 50-55 hours is the average), and there are some later nights and stressful situations. Usually if you're staying late, though, it's with your team and for an important reason so everyone feels motivated to get the job done. We also are compensated enough to make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Continue thinking about how growing globally will affect the company and its employees. They need to quickly adapt to the type of people needed and the right way to keep those people happy in their respective locations.

Nov 30, 2016 – Chief People Officer and SVP, Marketing

It’s wonderful that you are having such an enriching work experience as a Business Consultant. I hear you on widening our candidate pool - we do have work to create a more diverse employee ... More