Applied Predictive Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Applied Predictive Technologies CEO Anthony Bruce
Anthony Bruce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company culture is very strong - lots of free food, fun events, etc (in 17 reviews)

• APT is also dedicated to taking care of employees with generous compensation and benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The work schedule and standard to which we hold ourselves do not allow for a great work-life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours / travel (due to great growth in Europe) (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work and great location"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at APT in Product Development for 2 years now, and absolutely love it. Pros:
    1. The company is growing quickly and has a very flat structure. These factors combined mean that you have a ton of opportunity to make an impact from very early on in your career.
    2. Career reviews are performed every 6 months and involve an in-depth process of capturing feedback from all peers that you've worked with. The cadence and depth of these reviews make it easy to progress in your career and feel like you have clear opportunities to work on.
    3. At its core, APT is a company that trusts its employees. For example, there's no time tracking to make sure that you've captured 40 hours, no one has to "approve" your vacations, etc. This could work pretty poorly at larger companies, but at APT there is an atmosphere where people are accountable and responsible even without "management" looking over their shoulders.
    4. There are plenty of perks (like snacks around the office, fun team events, and weekly catered lunches) - perks obviously aren't the most important part of working somewhere, but they do make it more fun.
    5. I work in the Arlington office and love the location - Arlington has a great "city feel" (there are tons of fun restaurants and shopping in the area, and you're also just miles away from DC and everything it has to offer). At the same time, because Arlington isn't as populated/popular as cities like DC, NYC, or SF, everything is more affordable and it's easier to find fun hiking trails and such.

Cons

Some cons to note:
    1. Because APT has grown so quickly in the past couple of years, there are some "growing pains" (for example, some departments are pretty bottom-heavy). This can create pain points, but it also means that there are a ton of opportunities to step up and take ownership from the start.

2. "Awesome company to build a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented people and interesting projects, Transparent and very supportive work culture, Senior leadership actively seeks feedback and appropriate steps are taken, Good benefits

Cons

Expansion into newer location brings with it the challenge of maintaining the same culture and collaboration

3. "Amazing company and peers"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA

Pros

The people you'll work with at APT are absolutely amazing - brilliant, kind, hardworking, etc.

In terms of the actual work, you get to help answer some of the biggest questions global corporations are tackling. Instead of feeling like you're giving fuzzy answers based on guess-work, you know it's based on the facts.

Cons

4. "Great place to start a career"

I worked at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Amazing people, interesting problems, senior management really cares about people.

Cons

Acquisition with MasterCard has started to change some of the dynamics.

5. "Excellent place to start / build a career"

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Motivated people who care a lot about what they do
    Interesting / analytical work that can have an impact
    Lots of responsibility at relatively junior levels
    Awesome perks / benefits
    Opportunity for growth within the firm
    Senior management team who listen and respond to feedback

Cons

Hours / travel can be tough at times
    Staffing across teams can make it tough to predict workload

Advice to Management

Keep it up!
    Keep listening
    Do our best to maintain APT's culture as we grow

6. "Continual growth and amazing co-workers"

Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Vice President Engineering in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's been 6+ years at APT and I'm still in love with this company and my job. Some of the reasons are the same as when I started way back when, and many of the reasons are different but that's because I'm not the same person. APT's rapid growth means that the employees are given opportunities to grow quickly in both breadth and depth.

Your title, team, and department are only part of all the ways that you contribute. I love the flexibility that APT gives to define your own career path. I have many role models at work but as I learn more about myself, I've realized that what I want doesn't quite fit anything I've yet seen. APT is ok with that. They're working with me to figure out what I'm passionate about and how that fits into APTs needs and opportunities. Every employee here has a different mix of skills and responsibilities that's based on their experiences and interests. They might have the same title but APT doesn't force them into a box because of it.

Individuals at APT are humble. Senior leadership especially. APT is not perfect and that's not the goal. It's pretty great already in terms of benefits, company culture, solid growth, but we're constantly pushing ourselves to be better. Everything we do we ask for feedback and our clients and employees give it to us--honestly and frequently. It's exciting to be part of a team that values continuous improvement. You don't feel scared of failure because you know that you have more information on how to do it better next time. Working here feels incredibly safe--I have room to experiment and try things out as an individual and on the teams that I lead. Working with others feels cooperative no matter what level of seniority or department--there's rarely any sense of politics or hierarchy and when there is I know I can graciously call it out and we'll work to make it better.

Cons

Success means growth and growth means scaling and scaling is hard. We're figuring it out. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes we don't. Figuring out how to adapt our working styles and processes as we become larger and more global has been tough.

Integration with Mastercard isn't the smoothest. It can be frustrating to work with others who don't have the same "APT shared experience" and all the assumptions and values that come with it. It helps that at the end of the day we often have the same goal now that we're a part of their family but working with new people and adapting to their working styles is difficult.

APT expects a certain level of independence and self knowledge of their employees. When things like daily mix of work and long term career path are open ended and tailored to each individual, it means you need to know what you want and that's an incredibly difficult question to answer. APT will of course support you and you'll get feedback from co-workers on your strengths and opportunities but at the end of the day it's on you to figure out what you're hoping to get out of your career--no one is going to give you that answer. This sort of open ended environment isn't for everyone, some individuals like more fixed goal posts.

Advice to Management

Make a point to share your moments of failure, insecurity, or doubt. Having examples of the other side of the coin--times that you, or we as a company, missed the mark--is important and keeps us all honest.

7. "Exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

Pros

APT is a great place to work. Everyone in product development is not only very smart and knowledgeable, but always open to new ideas and trying to improve how we create software. This inclusive culture of makes it very enjoyable to come into work every day.

APT also does a great job with career growth. The review cycle is every six months and advisors aggregate information from everyone you work with (from new hires to SVPs) to make sure you know how to grow professionally. They place a heavy emphasis on investing in their employees and it definitely shows.

Cons

As we further integrate with Mastercard, there are multiple challenges with communicating with colleagues outside of APT. Trying to do anything with Mastercard coworkers usually takes 3x longer than it should and can be very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Continue placing an emphasis on listening to employee feedback and exploring ways to better integrate with Mastercard colleagues.

8. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

Interesting work, fantastic people to work with and work place environment is inventive, energetic and fun. Additionally, company works hard at encouraging inclusivity and is flexible in helping employees switch roles to match their strengths.

Cons

Long working hours and heavy travel, especially in client facing roles.

Advice to Management

Continue to ensure that company culture does not change but at the same time find new ways to ensure work/life balance for all employees (even if it requires heavy short term investment).

9. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Applied Predictive Technologies full-time

Pros

Impact - the work we do every day has a tangible impact on our clients. Our clients treat us as trusted partners, and as a result I feel personally invested in helping my clients succeed.

Career growth - Since APT is growing so quickly, promotion tracks are quick and every year the role changes significantly. Employees at APT are able to get management experience much quicker than at other organizations.

People - the people at APT are incredibly smart, hard working and humble. Given that the job is so team-based, being able to work with incredible people every day makes the job more enjoyable.

Lifestyle - while the hours in client services are not 40 hours/week, they are not nearly as high as the rest of the consulting industry. Travel exists but is minimal, which keeps the work exciting without being overwhelming.

Comp/Benefits - excellent; likely best in class.

Senior management - employees are encouraged to provide firm feedback every six months, which senior management actively reads and addresses. Senior management seems to genuinely care about keeping employees happy.

Cons

Working on multiple teams at the same time can lead to longer hours at times, but can be mitigated with diligent time management.

Advice to Management

In general, keep doing what you're doing! Make sure we maintain our excellent culture even as we become more integrated within Mastercard.

10. "Sr. Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

APT has a very supportive culture with a focus on mentoring and supporting lower level employees. The people are great to work with and are always willing to help. There is an opportunity to get involved in a variety of different things. Benefits are good and the free food is great! I have held a number of different jobs with many different companies, and I have enjoyed my time at APT the best!

Cons

Our health benefits have gotten slightly worse than they used to be, but the benefit is still good when you compare it to other companies.