Applied Underwriters Reviews in Foster City, CA | Glassdoor

Foster City, CA

3.4
Sidney R Ferenc

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Health insurance benefits are the best I've ever had (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits if you're single (they pay all the medical) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 1% cost of living yearly "raise (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management did not care about happiness as a manager (in 12 reviews)

1. "Pretty happy here"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and smart coworkers. I've made some good friends here. I find my work challenging and interesting. My compensation is around market. I like that I am not expected to work very long hours and I feel like I have pretty good work-life balance. I was worried when I read the reviews on here before I took the job but it seems to be working out well.

Cons

Low PTO, high turnover in some departments. There is lots of complaining, but I had that at my last job too, and at that job I was expected to work 50-60 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Consider increasing PTO

"Horrible Horrible"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not much positive to say about here

Cons

Horrible managers are borderline sociopaths. Micromanagers with zero skill are placed in charge, tracking every minute you are in the office. The lucky ones are those who never pass their personality test on hire, which must just be to sort the sociopaths (managers) from those who are submissive and never questioning workers.

Advice to Management

Close the company

"Toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters (Less than a year)

Pros

Not really sure there are any. The company relies heavily on sales, rather than customer satisfaction, often intimidating customers into using the product, and has controls set up to ensure they are unable to leave.

Cons

Never experienced a work environment as toxic as this. There's a strong us versus them environment that middle and upper management creates to ensure an domination over employees through fear and intimidation.

Advice to Management

Retire

"Worst company and worst job that I've ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice good people work there, unfortunately none of them are in management. Free prescription refills delivered to your desk.

Cons

Two years of employment there is considered a long time which should say something about their turnover rate! My boss there actually told me that he doesn't trust any of his employees to work unsupervised. I always felt like I was being watched and spied on by management. Place is dead quiet as they frown upon people talking as that is time that could be spent working. Working efficiently is not rewarded as all that matters is how many hours you sit in that chair. You have to clock in and out like hourly employees every though everyone there is on salary. My boss reviewed those timecards too and reprimanded anyone who had less than 45 hours per week! No learning opportunities even though I was told that they encouraged it during the interview process. One I started though, even when I asked to attend free local seminars/workshops, my boss denied my requests. My chair was killing my back so I asked my boss if I could have a new one. Ironically for a worker's compensation insurance company, he denied my request saying that then everyone would want their own chairs. I tripped three times and almost slammed into the wall because of computer cords lying all over the floors (again, ironic for their line of business). They use outdated technologies because their motto is "if it ain't broke (yet) then don't fix it." I dreaded going to work there every day. The co-founders never show their faces and to this day I still have no idea what they look like even though they were technically in the same office as me. Their offices are in a separate section on the same floor that's guarded by a separate door key. They didn't even attend the holiday lunch and had one of their administrative assistants send out their "holiday e-mail."

Advice to Management

Create a company culture and put some effort into making it a place that people actually want to go to every day. Also, a little trust in your employees would go a LONG way.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you can't find a job anywhere else. 10 days a year combined sick/vacation PTO. Health insurance benefits and 401k kick in after a 6 month probationary work period.

Cons

Over worked and over stressed staff. No communication about what is going on ever. Clear lack of direction for the company. One day the seat next to you will be empty, and the next week someone new will be sitting there, but you'll never be introduced to them or told what their job is or told why the last person is gone.

No raises ever, the time I worked there, we got a 1% cost of living raise that came with a note about how thankful we should be. You will constantly hear about the millions and millions the company makes, but the workers will never any of it. While you'll never see the company leaders, as they rarely come in, you will hear about the extravagant lifestyles they lead, about the trips they make on the company dime to the biggest golf and horse racing competitions around the globe.

Unrealistic work loads and expectations are placed that can never be met. People are overworked and miserable here.

No advancement ever. You will not only never hear about job opportunities at the company, but people are only ever hired from the outside. If you are happy being in the same place and station for your entire life, being told what to do, being a worker and not an achiever, you may find happiness here.

Advice to Management

Share some of the wealth. Review your policies. Have a conversation with some of your workers some time, they are just as human as you are, so stop treating them like you are super human and they are sub human.

"A company that does not care about their employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a free pharmacy. The location of the Foster City office is nice.

Cons

If you want to be treated like a number and not like a human being, then you should be here. People are not treated as people at all. I was written up for being gone for surgery (with a doctors note that I had submitted mind you). Most people would not even smile (let alone say hello) at me in the hallways. People were cold, and I felt like "Big Brother" was watching every step I made. Micromanagement was out of control and heaven forbid if I wanted to actually use my PTO.

I cannot stress enough how much they do not care about their employees and give the bare minimum of what is needed. The President of the company does not understand the purpose of having "company events", and if he could, would not have them at all. Which shows in the budget for these events.

Keep in mind, the point of their job is to turn people into numbers and find whatever petty way they can to deny them the health insurance coverage those people actually need. And it shows in how they treat their employees.

Advice to Management

Change your corporate culture. If you want to hire humans, then treat them that way. Otherwise start employing robot drones.

"Don't expect to stay for long..."

Former Employee - Financial Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

-Above average starting salary
    -Good job training for new analysts

Basically, if you're fresh out of college and need a place to cut your teeth, this place is fine. Just don't expect to put down roots in this business. The first month or so is just training in VFP and SQL.

Cons

-No benefits, sparse vacation time
    -Ridiculous micromanagement; boss is impossible to deal with
    -Insists on using obscolescent tools and systems (Visual FoxPro? Really?)
    -Very little opportunity for advancement

Productivity is not measured by the quality of your work, but by the clock. The management really gets on your case if you clock out early (< 9 hours). Expect friction between work and your family and social life. Furthermore, you have to clock out for lunch; the entire team usually eats a hurried half hour lunch.

The stuff you will be using is really antiquated. There is little novelty in the work; you spend most of your time doing queries, reports, and maintaining the absurd amount of legacy code in the system. Your ideas will mostly be ignored. Do not expect to do anything important; they won't even let you access production for a year or two, and most people leave before their first year is up.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your employees.

"Crappiest place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Foster City, CA

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay - I was making 6 figures with only 19 months of work experience. Good co-workers. Location is convenient.

Great learning experience - Applied Underwriters provided me the worst manager, the worst employer, and the worst leadership I've seen in my career - this has helped me see the silver lining in all my subsequent work experiences.

Cons

Horrible benefits and very few days off.

Micromanagement.
    You have to clock out for lunch (as an exempt worker) and my manager berated me for putting in 7.95 hrs one day despite having 50 hrs on the clock that week. I had dinner with my family only on weekends during my entire employment there. Entrenched management, not interested in better or more clever solutions.

They monitor not only your lunch, but also your work habits and anything you do. Churn is very high - you're treated like a number. I wish I'd seen the writing on the wall sooner and quit like two of my coworkers had.

If you're a high achiever, they will recruit you with $$$, then treat you like a drone unless you get hired into management.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Applied may have 1 star on Yelp, but there's still 2 stars here so you have some work to do. You need to disenchant employees and customers equally.

"Good place for new grads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

reasonable pay, can learn many things

Cons

poor benefits package, tough boss

Advice to Management

employee needs more pto days