Applied Underwriters Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Sidney R Ferenc

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Health insurance benefits are the best I've ever had (in 17 reviews)

• Good benefits if you're single (they pay all the medical) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • 1% cost of living yearly "raise (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management did not care about happiness as a manager (in 12 reviews)

"Client Services Specialist"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a wonderful company to work with. There is a great company culture here. The people are amazing, and the benefits are alright

Cons

Low tuition reimbursement, 10 days of PTO pr year to start(this includes your sick time), and heavy work loads.

Advice to Management

please expand the company. There is way too much work for the few people that do work here.

"Senior Account Clerk"

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

Health insurance benefits are the best I've ever had. 401k contribution is good. Paid holidays (but you pay for that for the next 2 work days with extra hours & no OT). Most of the team leads were very kind and easy to work with.

Cons

It was your stereotypical office environment with severe favoritism, drama and rude attitudes. A lot of time spent literally twiddling your thumbs. No options for overtime, they make you leave early or come in late. Once you hit senior there isn't really anywhere to go. Unless you are one of the favorites. There is literally a stopping point where you can learn everything. There are no challenges to the job (other than customer calls). It's almost like line work but in a cube.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Produce Underwriter
    Former Employee - Produce Underwriter

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very good

Cons

This place is a cult! Everyone there is just a worker bee.

Advice to Management

Leave.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Account Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Account Clerk in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free healthcare and great benefits for it being a starter job straight out of college after graduation. Subsidized vending and nice co-workers.

Cons

Micromanaging everywhere and the pay is below industry standard. Also the COLA should be eliminated and replaced with bonuses. There is also no work-life balance and no sense of company culture/five year plan.

Advice to Management

Listen to what employees both current and former have to say because we are the ones working for you. The culture needs some significant changing.

"Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in the work comp claims industry. The people I worked with were phenomenal and due to the high stress position, many of my co-workers felt like family.

Cons

Leadership beyond the team lead level needs to take ownership and responsibility regarding the high level of turnover within the adjuster ranks. They do not care about anything other than closures because closures is what drives sales and is what is reported to stockholders. How the closure goals were developed were a complete mystery and felt arbitrary. There was little disregard to the jurisdiction type and after several years came to realize that while they understand the industry, they don't understand the nuances of every jurisdiction. What works in one state simply does not work in another and time and time again, they had to be educated on that aspect. It went in one ear after another. To have closure goals held over your head constantly as a measure of success was demoralizing to adjusters but they never cared.

Other than closure goals, they pushed quality in ways that were often unattainable. Management will tell you that it's critical that the items they measure are extremely important, and I suppose they are on paper; however, if they were so important, why are there other successful companies who do not press these same quality standards? In truth, those other companies want you to focus on the actual momentum of the claim and not get bogged down in achieving unattainable (or at least unsustainable) perfection simply to make management happy. Further, they will use those unattainable/unsustainable metrics to hold you back from promotion or raises.

There is no loyalty from management to their staff. They will demote Team Leaders for any reason. It's laughable that management is irritated at turnover but fail to see just how demoralizing their own actions/decisions are to their employees. Well, laughable and sad.

Lastly, there is little to no work life balance. I know adjusters that will stay late or come in on the weekend just to catch up. If you have a family, it is extremely difficult to have time off. The company, on a whole, is not family friendly.

Advice to Management

Take responsibility and stop blaming others for adjusters leaving sunnier pastures. There's a reason why they are leaving and it's not because they couldn't hack it. You can throw money at adjusters in hopes they stay but in the end they won't if they don't feel respected or secure in their positions.

"Big Brother"

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

Berkshire is stable and will be around for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Everyone is micro-managed to the point it was Big Brother. Clock in, clock out. Every minute was recorded and monitored.

7. "Pretty happy here"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and smart coworkers. I've made some good friends here. I find my work challenging and interesting. My compensation is around market. I like that I am not expected to work very long hours and I feel like I have pretty good work-life balance. I was worried when I read the reviews on here before I took the job but it seems to be working out well.

Cons

Low PTO, high turnover in some departments. There is lots of complaining, but I had that at my last job too, and at that job I was expected to work 50-60 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Consider increasing PTO

8. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - New Business in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - New Business in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. No take home work.

Cons

Low pay for the industry, outdated dress code.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible.

9. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and HR. So much potential if they grow culturally and become aware of changing business trends

Cons

No bonuses or raises, poor PTO, aging culture doesn't mesh with incoming staff and limited career growth opportunities within company

Advice to Management

COLA isn't enough and employees need more work family balance

"Need a change at the top!"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the people here. Good benefits if you're single (they pay all the medical). Great internal commitment to claims handling (near industry best in worker's comp).

Cons

They are COMPLETELY committed to a business model that keeps them under a cloud of mistrust with their business partners. They almost have the mentality of the MLM companies where, even though they know they're gonna burn a bunch of people, they know that there are always new folks to recruit. They want to build with "young, hungry brokers", which in my mind is an admission that they aren't really interested in being long term partners. It's more churn and burn.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the smoke screen products. Tell people how much your product costs and deal straight up. If you're commitment to claims and services is what you say it is, your loss ratios should reflect that, which should reflect in your premiums. People will go for value and maybe pay more for worker's comp, but that's only if they know HOW much more they are paying than the alternative. AU refuses to tell they client what they are paying. Come on....