Applied Underwriters Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sidney R Ferenc

Pros
Cons
  • 1% cost of living yearly "raise (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management did not care about happiness as a manager (in 12 reviews)

1. "Filing Clerk"

Former Employee - File Clerk in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - File Clerk in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, great hours, and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Can be Cliquish. Personal harassment issues need to be dealt with more thoroughly.

Advice to Management

Great management skills, but need to work on when someone comes to them with a problem.

"Claims adjuster"

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Subsidized food in breakroom. Co workers were nice. That's about it.

Cons

No understanding of work/life balance. Many employees work 50+ hours a week. Expect perfection from day 1. Always feel like you aren't good enough. PTO is horrible. No transparency.

Advice to Management

Change the PTO system, let employees know what is going on and hire enough people so your employees can take time off without coming back to work 60 hours to make up for having a life.

"Good Job"

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere; it was not a stressful job

Cons

Not enough to do (hours of doing nothing), corporate seemed to have no idea what we did and would be upset if a package was not done right away even though none of the packages were going to be picked up until 8:00 pm that night; hours could definitely have changed for day shift

Advice to Management

Get to know your production offices and have better communication

"Overworked, underpaid, absolutely the worst place to work in Omaha with a degree."

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people working there are cool but literally nothing else good to say.

Cons

Huge case loads

Terrible management at all levels

Blindingly inefficient, everything is still on paper that should be scanned

They underpay compared to the industry

You cannot take time off without completely swamping your case load.

Advice to Management

No advice, you are scum.

Do NOT take a job here. At best you will hate your life at worst you will get sued for bad claims practices.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee insurance and prescriptions are free. There is easy parking and there are some nice people that work here.

Cons

I don't have enough time in the day to list the cons. It's a sinking ship in trouble all over for scamming customers. Management is picked on who will be willing to do the dirty work without question. It is a hostile environment with lots of harassing behaviors and you best just suck it up. Low pay. Outdated PTO. Riduculously formal dress code [file clerks wear ties]. Old computers and extremely antiquated computer programs. Your desk will be piled with paper. "Assistants" who "assist" you by complaining to their manager when they're asked to do their jobs. Salaried pay but you punch in and out to the very minute. Micromanaging to the highest degree. You will be told to do unethical things to hit their company goals. I could go on and on. All I can say is you came here to research this company so heed the warnings written by REAL people.

Advice to Management

There's no advice because they don't care anyway. These good ole boys have always done it this way.

"Company is Broken, time to fix."

Former Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales training is excellent and can be applied to other parts of your life professionally and personally.

Benefits package

If you put in the effort, you will make money(six figures) as long as Applied can keep out of the news negatively or from being in trouble with the Department of Insurance or the defendant of a class action lawsuit.

Cons

Applied is why insurance companies have a bad reputation. Just google Applied Underwriters and you will see. Most of what is out there is accurate.

You are not told to outright lie to potential customers, however you are instructed to not provide all information asked of you during the sales cycle. Applied's SolutionOne product provides work comp with payroll services. The work comp portion is straight forward, how the insured pays for the payroll services is where things get cloudy and is what you are not allowed to breakout the costs of. You are instructed to never put anything in writing.

A mass exodus has occurred on the sales teams, National and California, EquityComp and SolutionOne. The best sales team they have had assembled in the last decade plus is now gone and the management team could care less. Anyone that left were labeled not a good fit or were "broken" in their eyes. It might be time to look inward and assess the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Be up front with your employees. Do not outright lie to them about the big and little things as well as the state of the company. Understandably employees don't need to know everything, however be honest with your employees. These employees you have not been forthcoming with were your most vocal advocates.

You were innovative 20 years ago, now not so much. The insurance industry as well as payroll processing have advanced, you haven't.

Do not lie to your employees when you have decided you do not want competitive on pricing and do not want to bring on new business, this way these employees can plan their own finances accordingly.

Do not blame your sales people for a lack of sales when you have legal troubles (issued a Cease and Desist & the defendant of a class action lawsuit), have complete control over pricing and decide when you want sales and when you don't.

You, the executive leadership, had many opportunities to fix the situation you are in right now. You had employees that had very valid and easy solutions to problems that are occurring and because these solutions were not created in the 1990's, aren't the way we have always done things, they were not listened to and these employees are labeled as broken. Get yourselves out of the echo chamber you operate in.

Sales staff and managers are scared to speak up, ask questions or provide solutions that are new and may conflict with "the way we have always done things". Those that do try to help end up getting labeled as "Broken" and looked down upon.

"Don't mess with upper management and their money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) I paid nothing for my own health insurance.
    2) My co-workers were some of the best people I've ever met.
    3) My direct supervisor was the best manager I've ever had, and I am quite familiar with micro-managers.
    4) Not all people in Foster City were sociopaths, so my interactions with the non-sociopaths were friendly and cordial.
    5) Some of the time, I don't mind doing what I'm told for money, so I got along okay.

To this day, I am still grateful that I worked under the supervisor I did. He was an amazing person who understood how to use the resources he had and how to manage flesh and blood human beings. I could not have been luckier, compared to the experiences of others.

Cons

1) Upper management. In this company, those who can't do are placed in upper management. The exception for me was my original department manager, who was a great role model and an excellent person. He of course left because he wasn't treated well by upper management.
    2) Upper management does not value you in any way. They only notice you if you do something that prevents them from making money. Then prepare to get reamed.
    3) Upper management is not uniformly bad, as I said. I am speaking of only a few people who I will not name directly. But man do those few people not know anything outside their own compensation package!
    4) When our department manager left, a couple guys in our office deserved at least to be considered for promotion. But nope -- someone was put in place who had very little idea about what we were doing. This created a hall of mirrors like environment where if we needed to know something important, we had to find other avenues outside of our department because our manager didn't know anything! Sometimes we were given conflicting information depending on the day...

Advice to Management

I have none because they literally won't care what I or you think. They are making a lot of money acting like they know what they are doing. My advice to you, the worker -- if you need professional experience, maybe roll the dice and hope you work under a good supervisor. But don't stay long. READ THE REVIEWS FROM FOSTER CITY THAT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE WRITTEN BY REAL HUMAN BEINGS. This will tell you all you need to know. Specifically find the review about the walled garden office and the one about someone getting yelled at by a manager, who was on the golf course and doesn't bother to show up until later in the day usually.

Also, to all employees who complained about the software -- my only wish was that we could have worked on current software platforms to provide users with a cleaner, more pleasing interface, designed to improve work flow and accessibility and designed from the ground up to streamline the work day. But you know where the problem was there...

9. "Claims Adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, growing business, great benefits

Cons

High turnover, not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

Have plans instead of winging things all the time, need more opportunity to grow and need to allow current employees to transfer departments. When you speak to the people who have been there 10+ years they all started out in a completely different department and now you can't switch departments easy so people just quit.

"Failing Fast"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Applied Underwriters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Free Health Insurance, Location

Cons

Victim of non-progression and far too centered around corporate hierarchy. Managers are not approachable and ideas and free thinking are not encouraged. This is a company where they've been going about business the same way for the last 20 years and have, as a result, fallen under a very strict "ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. From the software used to the fact that payroll is to be faxed in by clients only, this company is resistant to change. All of this on the side of the fact that the product they are pushing is purposefully vague and a complete and total rip off.
    The training program is very well put together and comprehensive and certainly serves it's purpose of getting you on board upon completion. Unfortunately, it's in the same way that small businesses are brought on board in signing their contracts to acquire insurance from this company-through a broad, purposefully vague informational approach. It isn't until you find yourself in the trenches of either paying too high of premiums regardless of record of loss for months or you've just spent the better part of a year employed by this company simply to lie to people on a daily basis, and this is per instruction, not by your own omission that you realize what a complete and utter slice of corruption it all is.
    Also, there are no women in upper management. It's a nowhere road anyway, but more so if you are female.
    This company's days are numbered. You cannot continue conning your clients and employees forever.

Advice to Management

A)Wise up. Put some faith in the people you hire to do the job well, regardless of the fact that the product they are pushing is not in their favor. Be open to what your employees have to tell you and don't treat them like they are expendable.

B)Quit.

"Not a place I would recommend."

Current Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Product Underwriter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Applied Underwriters full-time

Pros

Paid health insurance for employee. 40hrs/week, no weekends. Good co-workers.

Cons

Everything else. PTO isn't great. No sick leave. Micromanagement is real. No opportunity for advancement. The job is a constant grind. In most cases, you will not be selling insurance, just payroll services.

Advice to Management

Focus on things that are important to your employees. Stop micromanaging them to the point that morale hits rock bottom and everyone starts looking for jobs. People want to be encouraged and built up, not constantly torn down. There needs to be a change in culture, management, and products.